Thread: Veteran TVB,ATV Actor Newton Lai Dies at 62 from Acute Pneumonia

Default Veteran TVB,ATV Actor Newton Lai Dies at 62 from Acute Pneumonia

Veteran Actor Newton Lai Dies at 62 from Acute Pneumonia

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/thumbnail.php?img=http://s3.amazonaws.com/spcnet-images/images/actors/SfQ4re-3118.jpg&width=250&height=250')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/7739/FutureCops+1993-5-t.jpg')

Veteran actor Newton Lai passed away on June 13th after suffering from acute pneumonia. He was 62. Newton was active in the entertainment industry in the 80s and had always been interested in Feng Shui. He had been a television actor for Rediffusion HK (RTV), ATV and TVB. The most memorable role he had was 1981 RTV series The Legendary Fok. He portrayed the villain Long Hoi San. In the 90s, he participated in many TVB series including 1994's Instinct starring Adam Cheng and The Legend of the Condor Heroes. He made a brief comeback in 2005's Twins of Brothers starring Raymond Lam and Ron Ng.

Newton immigrated to Canada in the mid-90s and faded from the entertainment industry. Recently he came back to HK, but his life wasn't going smoothly. After his parents and wife passed away, a few years ago he suddenly vomited blood for 5 days and lost 20 pounds. He relied on meditation to relax himself and regain his body weight.

This year Newton made a comeback in one of the stories from the film Tales from the Dark 1 & 2. When he attended the press conference in March, it was clear he lost a lot of weight and didn't look too well.

Michelle Yim collaborated with Newton in The Legendary Fok, she felt grieved after learning about his death. She praised him: "He is always willing to help others and teach others breathing exercises to treat illnesses at no charge. Last time I saw him was several years ago. I saw he was already very thin and he did say he wasn't feeling well. Such a pity, I will call his family and send my condolences." Soccer buddy Felix Wong mourned him on Weibo last night.

link
    http://tvbnewsworld.blogspot.com/201...ies-at-62.html

Eerily, within the space of one calendar year, the actors who portrayed Sai Mun Chui Sheut (Austin Wai) and Yip Goo Sing (Newton Lai) in TVB's 1986 RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG series have passed away.

It's horrible news! Another veteran passing! And in such a horrible way! Rest in peace, Newton!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Eerily, within the space of one calendar year, the actors who portrayed Sai Mun Chui Sheut (Austin Wai) and Yip Goo Sing (Newton Lai) in TVB's 1986 RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG series have passed away.
    I can't seem to remember him in ROLSF. Was his appearance brief, in a flashback when SMCS was fighting him on the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I can't seem to remember him in ROLSF. Was his appearance brief, in a flashback when SMCS was fighting him on the roof?
    Yep. That was the only appearance of Yip Goo Sing in RoLSF, but TVB did select Newton to play the character for what amounted to a cameo appearance. It was a good choice; Newton looked the part.

He was good. I enjoy his old school hand to hand combat a lot.

I will always remember him as THE Yang Xiao in HSDS 86. No other Yang Xiao so far has been able to capture the charm of the character, and make Ji Xiaohu's attraction to him believable - Newton has this Clark Gable feel which made him really irresistable.

Rest in peace, Newton, and thank you for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I will always remember him as THE Yang Xiao in HSDS 86. No other Yang Xiao so far has been able to capture the charm of the character, and make Ji Xiaohu's attraction to him believable - Newton has this Clark Gable feel which made him really irresistable.

Yeah, he was terrific as Yeung Siu...really stole the camera in every scene he appeared in HSDS '86 (which says quite a bit, considering he was often sharing the screen with Tony Leung). He brought a dashing dignity to the character of Yeung Siu.

Though I also think he is THE Yang Xiao, I actually didn't find him that charming and irresistible (and not because I'm a guy, I've gushed about Simon Yam and Michael Miu many times over the years ). I thought HSDS 2000's Yang Xiao was very suave and more attractive to young ladies that didn't know the ways of the world being secluded on a mountain all the time and such.

But then again, it could just be because of all the added scenes. The Yang Xiao seduction scene in '86 was very brief compared to the other one. I remember him more as a super intelligent guy that never lets anything phase him. He consulted Zhang Wuji out of respect, but we all knew he did all the work and COULD do all the work much better than Wuji could sans the martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Though I also think he is THE Yang Xiao, I actually didn't find him that charming and irresistible (and not because I'm a guy, I've gushed about Simon Yam and Michael Miu many times over the years ). I thought HSDS 2000's Yang Xiao was very suave and more attractive to young ladies that didn't know the ways of the world being secluded on a mountain all the time and such.

But then again, it could just be because of all the added scenes. The Yang Xiao seduction scene in '86 was very brief compared to the other one. I remember him more as a super intelligent guy that never lets anything phase him. He consulted Zhang Wuji out of respect, but we all knew he did all the work and COULD do all the work much better than Wuji could sans the martial arts.
    Eddie Cheung was great as Yang Xiao too, but maybe because I had watched him since his young days, he kind of felt like a young chap who was matured and playing an older role, and it was only natural that he would be attractive - it was Eddie Cheung after all! He was the male protagonist for a fair number of TVB serials too before that accident which put his career on hiatus, I think. Newton, on the other hand, was always more of a veteran or supporting actor, and maybe that's why his performance stood out a bit more for me.

Yeung Siu was one of the few "good guy" roles I remember seeing Newton Lai playing for TVB; more often, he appeared as a villain.

Yeung Siu was one of the few "good guy" roles I remember seeing Newton Lai playing for TVB; more often, he appeared as a villain.
    I can't remember many wuxia good-guy roles in the 80s - the other memorable roles for me was the main antagonist in Blood-Stained intrigue and Yeung Fan in General Father General Son. He did Jin Yong characters Yideng and Qu Yang in the 90s, though.

By the way, does anyone know if Newton Lai had any Caucasian ancestry? He always looked slightly Caucasian to me.

By the way, does anyone know if Newton Lai had any Caucasian ancestry? He always looked slightly Caucasian to me.
    He does, doesn't he? Which is why my Aunt had him pegged for Clark Gable during HSDS 86.

I can't remember many wuxia good-guy roles in the 80s - the other memorable roles for me was the main antagonist in Blood-Stained intrigue and Yeung Fan in General Father General Son. He did Jin Yong characters Yideng and Qu Yang in the 90s, though.
    His other memorable roles are the wolf in Tin Long Kip (Andy Lau and Maggie Siu) and the Taoist in The Brothers under the Skin (Felix Wong and Sheren Tang).

He does, doesn't he? Which is why my Aunt had him pegged for Clark Gable during HSDS 86.
    You're right; he *did* bear a faint resemblance to Gable.

With a name like Newton during that generation, I wouldn't be surprised.

You're right; he *did* bear a faint resemblance to Gable.
    hehe I agree too...... a faint resemblance to Gable.

I remember him in the battlefield as well. But it does look like he mostly plays villian roles.