Thread: Which Xiao ao Jiang Hu has the best fight scenes?

Default Which Xiao ao Jiang Hu has the best fight scenes?

I haven't seen any of them lol, but I heard there's a bunch of different versions. I'd like to know which version has the best action/fight scenes?

For TVB I'd go for the 96 version. The 85 version has a ridiculous amount of CGI. In general the 2001 CCTV version had some really awesome swordplay moves, though.

For TVB, it's better to go for 1985 version. At least you have stars like Chow Yun Fat, Jamie Chik, Rebecca Chan, Dong Wai, Tsang Kong, Yeung Chak Lam, ect.

Thanks for suggestions. I'm okay with watching different versions (CCTV/ATV/TCS etc). I just posted in TVB forums because I didn't know where else to post this lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOrHell View Post
    I haven't seen any of them lol, but I heard there's a bunch of different versions. I'd like to know which version has the best action/fight scenes?
    Excluding the movies, there are a total of 6 different adaptations of this novel. The one with the best fighting choreograph is definitely the 2001 Mainland version with Li Yapeng in the lead role. The Taiwanese version with Richie Ren also has pretty nice choreography as well. If you're into big, bright explosion and over the top WTF CGI, but very little substance, then watch the recent remake with Wallace Huo.

There is much more to a wuxia series than just pretty looking fight scene. If you want to experience the entire story, plot, and characterization of the novel, then watch the '96 version produced by TVB. It is the best representation and most faithful to the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by shangster View Post
    Excluding the movies, there are a total of 6 different adaptations of this novel. The one with the best fighting choreograph is definitely the 2001 Mainland version with Li Yapeng in the lead role. The Taiwanese version with Richie Ren also has pretty nice choreography as well. If you're into big, bright explosion and over the top WTF CGI, but very little substance, then watch the recent remake with Wallace Huo.

There is much more to a wuxia series than just pretty looking fight scene. If you want to experience the entire story, plot, and characterization of the novel, then watch the '96 version produced by TVB. It is the best representation and most faithful to the novel.
    Thanks for the info! I'll check out the ones you suggested.

I'm not picky on the story & plot as long as it remains interesting & "epic". Most TV & movie adaptations of novels don't remain true to the original story anyway, so I try not to be too picky, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy watching them =)

Well, all the versions are at least 70% true to its source material. They only differ in their consistency of the plot and how well the actors represent their characters according to the novel. The adaptation that is the closest representation to the novel, both the plot and characterization, is the '96 version, which is like at least 90% true to the novel. They do skip some minor scenes, but that's only because TVB didn't have enough in the budget to film those scenes.

I can only give you recommendation, but I'm not entirely sure what your specific taste is. I would recommend both the '96 version and the 2001 mainland version with Li Yapeng, and just forget about all the other versions as they aren't worth watching, imo. The 2001 Mainland has good fight choreography, nice settings, and beautiful background scenery. The plot is consistent, but not entire faithful to the novel. And it has a "darker" tone than all the other versions. Maybe this is the one that you're looking for? But no matter what your taste is, if you like wuxia, then you'll love the '96 with Jackie Liu.

I am a fan of the 80's series and I couldn't sit through the 85 version, though I tried really really hard.
    Agreed with the others regarding the 96 and 01 versions.
    Personally I like the 96 more because it has the best LHC.

The 85 version had a wonderful soundtrack and good TVB Golden 80s actors, but that's about it. Chow Yun Fat was totally miscast in the role, the CGI bordered on the ridiculous (although it did entertain a certain 12-year old then) and the story wasn't that faithful to the novel either. Jacky's 96 version, despite not having all the Golden 80s supporting cast (quite a few were still there, though), was much better in all aspects other than soundtrack.

Speaking of soundtrack, I like the flute and zither music of the 96 version the best.

96 Version is the way to go!

I liked the choreography from 96 the best. I must have been watching a different 2001 because all those abrupt frames did nothing for me except hurt my eyes.