Thread: Did the events of DGSD occur contemporaneously with the Yeung Family Corps legends?

Default Did the events of DGSD occur contemporaneously with the Yeung Family Corps legends?

The legends of the Northern Sung military hero Yeung Yip and his sons are set during the Northern Sung Kingdom's wars against the Khitan Liao Empire, as is the story of DGSD. Was the story of DGSD meant to be contemporaneous with the Yeung Family Corps legends? I remembered that a "General Yeung" was mentioned in passing during the Beggar's Union meeting in which Kiu Fung's Khitan heritage was first exposed, but I do not know if this General Yeung referred to Yeung Yip or any of his sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The legends of the Northern Sung military hero Yeung Yip and his sons are set during the Northern Sung Kingdom's wars against the Khitan Liao Empire, as is the story of DGSD. Was the story of DGSD meant to be contemporaneous with the Yeung Family Corps legends? I remembered that a "General Yeung" was mentioned in passing during the Beggar's Union meeting in which Kiu Fung's Khitan heritage was first exposed, but I do not know if this General Yeung referred to Yeung Yip or any of his sons.
    More likely Yang Ye's (died 986) grandson, Yang Wen Guang (died 1074). Yang Yan Zhao (958 - 1014) or more commonly known as Yang the Sixth was Yang Wen Guang's father (although in fictions, the grandfather).

Yang Wen Guang served as a general of the Song army since 1044 - 1074, which is close to the timeline of DGSG.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    More likely Yang Ye's (died 986) grandson, Yang Wen Guang (died 1074). Yang Yan Zhao (958 - 1014) or more commonly known as Yang the Sixth was Yang Wen Guang's father (although in fictions, the grandfather).

Yang Wen Guang served as a general of the Song army since 1044 - 1074, which is close to the timeline of DGSG.
    Makes sense. Thanks.