Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Constables - Return to the Capital City by Wen Rui'an

Default Four Constables - Return to the Capital City by Wen Rui'an

Since Justin is doing such a fantastic job continuing where I left off in ASITP, and now that I have a little free time, I decided to start on a new, more bite-sized project (I must have been crazy to choose ASITP in 2007).

This only has 25 chapters, so I am more likely able to complete it.

Here's the beginning of Chapter 1, I did not proofread the translation, so if anyone spots any grammar or typing mistakes, please let me know.

Book 1 - Murderer
    Chapter 1 – It started from the scream

The sudden scream came from the upper level of the Eastern Chamber!

This huge hall was initially filled with sounds of happy cheers, drinking and games but the sudden blood curdling scream shocked everyone into a standstill.

Looking at the people in this hall, most of them were dressed as martial arts exponents, every one of them broad and muscular with intense, piercing eyes and carrying either swords or sabres. Judging by their charisma and behavior, one can tell that they are no ordinary people.

In the middle of this hall, there is a huge word ‘longetivity’. The décor is bright, resplendent and grand, obviously the home of the wealthy. The hundreds of martial arts exponents in the hall are all Masters of their own areas and from this, one can tell that this wealthy family is obviously also a Leader in the martial arts world.

The most exceptional thing is that on the four ebony chairs carved with magnificent dragons that was placed next to the host’s chair in the hall, there were four elderly people who looked like they were in their sixties seated on it.

The leader of the group had silver brows and white beard and was tall and slender with very refined features. He looks kindly and affable with a long sword across his back. This person is none other than the most reputable person in Cangzhou Prefecture, who have achieved a level of mastery in martial arts, the famous ‘First Dragon’ Ling Yuxiang. It is said no one is able to handle his ‘Airborne Cross Sword’ swordplay. A pity that he is getting old in age and has retired from the martial arts realm and he has not fought with his sword for many years.

The second is an elderly with white hair and ruddy cheeks, with a thin sword around his waist which is never away from his body. His temples are raised, which obviously means that his internal energy has reached perfection. This is ‘Second Dragon’ Murong Shuiyun. The thin sword which he executes ‘Seven Spinning Slashes’ with has defeated countless enemies. He is an upright man and anyone from the criminal underworld, will all tremble in fear once they hear the name ‘Murong Shuiyun’ and run to avoid him at all costs.

The third one is an elderly man whose dressing looks almost like a Taoist priest, with black hair and long beard, a cold and haughty attitude and carrying a horsetail whisk. This person has the surname Shen, named Cuogu. He’s the ‘Fourth Dragon’ and extremely highly skilled in martial arts. The horsetail whisk in his hand is a marvelous weapon, named ‘Cuogu Whisk’. He is a strange loner, cold and heartless. He is still considered a righteous man although his methods can be too vicious. If it is said that those in the criminal underworld will run to avoid Murong Shuiyun, then when they see Shen Cuogu, they will not dare to move even a step.

The fourth one is an old man with a face full of black beard, his clothes tattered and mended with different cloths. His eyes were as huge as coins with coarse brows and although he is shorter, he is extremely strong and stout, like a metal shield. His thick arms are at least twice as large as the average person. This person carries no weapon but it is rumored that he has mastered tough martial arts like ‘Iron Shirt’, ‘Thirteen Princes’ and ‘Rejuvenation Skill’ and not only is he impervious to swords or sabres, he may not be trapped even if a mountain falls on him! He is the most unyielding of the ‘Five Dragons’ and he is the ‘Fifth Dragon’ Gui Jingyuan.

The so-called ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’, were all resounding heroes of the realm during their times but the years show no mercy to anyone and they are all getting on in age. However, they are still respected by those in the martial arts realm and the plaque ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ has never been taken down by anyone or the name taken by anyone else.

The so-called ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ are: ‘First Dragon’ Ling Yuxiang who is well versed in ‘Airborne Cross Sword’ swordplay; ‘Second Dragon’ Murong Shuiyun who is well versed in ‘Seven Spinning Slashes’ using the thin sword; ‘Third Dragon’ Jin Shenghuang who is well versed in ’36 Hands Centipede Whip’; ‘Fourth Dragon’ Shen Cuogu who is well versed in ‘Cuogu Whisk’; ‘Fifth Dragon’ Gui Jingyuan who is well versed in ‘Steel Armor Skill’. In the martial arts realm of Cang Zhou Prefecture, these five are in their prime, highly respected and no one will dare order them around.

Today is the 50th birthday of the ‘Third Dragon’ from the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’, Jin Shenghuang.

Naturally the martial arts heroes in this hall all rushed here from all over to celebrate the 50th birthday of the wealthy and highly skilled ‘36 Hands Centipede Whip’ Jin Shenghuang.

And that scream that came from upstairs belongs to no other than the birthday boy Jin Shenghuang!

What has happened?

The heroes who were there, some of them got up hurriedly while some took out their weapons. There were some who still had no idea what was happening and for a moment everything was chaotic with sounds and movement.

Suddenly a deep yet gentle old voice suppressed the ruckus in the huge hall. This voice is slow but strong, making everyone else quiet down to listen to him say, “Everyone, that scream just now indeed belongs to Third Brother Jin. We have no idea what happened either but we ask that all of you cooperate and try to stay calm. Only then can we listen and see clearly what actually happened. If anyone finds someone trying to leave the place or escape, please help to detain that person. Thank you!”

Everyone looked towards the direction the voice came from and saw that Ling Yuxiang is still seated calmly on the chair and talking while the rest next to him like Murong Shuiyun, Shen Cuogu and Gui Jingyuan have all disappeared.

All those in there don’t even know when these three left the hall.

Ling Yuxiang said with a smile, “Everyone, Second Brother Murong, Fourth Brother Shen and Fifth Brother Gui have already gone to investigate. With Third Brother Jin’s martial arts, together with Second, Fourth and Fifth Brother, they should be able to handle anything in the world.”

Everyone in the hall started to sit down and someone said with a laugh, “Out of the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’, four have been activated so how can there by anything in this world that cannot be settled!”

Someone else added with a laugh, “Just as that scream was heard, I already saw Second Hero Murong, Fifth Hero Gui etc dashing out. Their movements were so swift that I couldn’t even take a clear look.”

Another person laughed, “Of course you couldn’t see. They are our elders and experienced, their reaction is swift yet calm. As for us, our abilities are not good enough to be seen.”

Everyone was talking and laughing and Ling Yuxiang laughed along but his brows were furrowed. Because no one knows better than him that ‘36 Hands Centipede Whip’ Jin Shenghuang is not someone who will scream easily.

Much less that it was a blood curdling scream!

No matter what has happened, his three brothers who had gone will certainly come back to report and calm everyone down.

What has actually happened, and it has to happen on Jin Shenghuang’s 50th birthday celebration?

Suddenly there was a shadow in the hall and Shen Cuogu appeared, his black outfit fluttering like the wind. The look on his face was as black and somber as his outfit. Ling Yuxiang furrowed his brows and Shen Cuogu took out his hands, which was full of fresh blood.

Someone in the hall exclaimed in surprise.

Shen Cuogu came forward and told Ling Yuxiang, “Eldest Brother, go and have a look.”

Ling Yuxiang replied, “Fine.” Before he even finished saying the word ‘fine’, he has already flitted out like a cloud, his movement cool yet swift.

What has actually happened?

Thanks Jean - for coming back with a vengeance!

More bite-sized? this is still 5 books long, you must have a big mouth for such big bites :-D
    But I am grateful that you picked up another one of the "big stories".
    Thank you very much!
    So many great new translations!

25 chapters is bite sized compared to 300 chapters. Lol

Thanks for translating another promising looking novel!

to continue.....

The whispering resumed in the hall, but Shen Cuogu said each word out clearly with an ashen look on his face, “Before this matter is made clear, I ask that all of you do not leave this place. Anyone who disobeys will die!”

These few words were heavy and powerful, the murderous air surrounding them like the wind. In an instant, the hall was quiet, so quiet that one can even hear a mosquito flying past.

What has actually happened?

When Ling Yuxiang flitted out of the hall, he was also thinking constantly. But once he stepped out of the hall, he quickened his steps and like lightning with his yellow robes fluttering, he has already gone turned around ‘Purple Cloud Tower’, out of ‘Heart of Xiang’s Pavilion’, past ‘Bamboo Leaves Corridor’, straight towards the upper level of the Eastern Chamber.

Once Ling Yuxiang stepped into the building, he saw a few of the Jin family servants all looking bewildered with eyes reddened, standing there woodenly. Some relatives and aunts of the Jin family were hurrying up the stairs to see what has happened. One of the servants, upon seeing Ling Yuxiang, started crying, “Master…” and sobbed uncontrollably.

Ling Yuxiang asked gravely, “What actually happened?”

Murong Shuiyun suddenly stuck his head out from upstairs and called out, “Eldest Brother, come up quickly.”

Ling Yuxiang flew up vertically and went in through the window. Once he entered, he was totally stunned by the scene in the room!

This is the room of ‘Third Dragon’ Jin Shenghuang.

This room has already been done up with red decorations because of the birthday celebration, but now it is frighteningly red.

Bloody red.

Fresh red blood is spattered in every corner of the room.

Jin Shenghuang has fallen in a pool of blood.

He was still wearing his robe with half his body lying on the bed with his back to the door. When he died, his hand was still clutching his chest. Blood, was flowing from there, staining the whole bed red.

The fatal injury is on the chest.

The blood stain started from the opened doors of the room, dripping all the way to the bed. Obviously the doorway was when it happened and Jin Shenghuang struggled to his bed with his injury, his one hand reaching under his pillow and took out part of his black whip.

Maybe because of his 50th birthday celebration, he did not carry his famous ’36 Hands 9 Segments Scorpion Whip’ on him!

What has Ling Yuxiang never seen before, but Jin Shenghuang is his sworn brother and friend for decades. He was so worked up he can’t help but tremble and finally wept.

Madam Jin and the brothers in the Jin family all fell down sobbing in the room.

Ling Yuxiang suppressed his grief and helped support Madam Jin, controlling his tears as he said, “Third Sister-in-law, you must not be overwrought. Third Brother’s issue, us four brothers will certainly avenge him…”

Madam Jin fainted from the crying. Ling Yuxiang hurriedly used his internal energy and forced it into Madam Jin’s main acupoints in the main arteries. Madam Jin slowly regained consciousness and started wailing, “Eldest Brother-in-law, Chenghuang is dead, how am I supposed to live on, tell me how am I supposed to live on…”

‘Fifth Dragon’ Gui Jingyuan was already clutching his fists tightly and when he heard this, the muscles on his face swelled and the bones in his body crackled as he roared, “Son of a b.itch, who dares to kill my Third Brother and I’ll fight to the death with him!” After saying that, he dashed out.

Murong Shuiyun blocked him in an instant and asked, “Fifth Brother, who are you fighting it out with?”

Gui Jingyuan was stunned before he bellowed, “I don’t care who. I’ll just get all the invited guests today and beat them up one by one, someone will definitely admit!”

Murong Shuiyun was shocked and exclaimed, “Fifth Brother, this cannot…”

Gui Jingyuan roared, “Don’t try to stop me, otherwise I’ll beat you up as well.”

Ling Yuxiang rebuked quietly, “Fifth Brother, do not be rash.”

Gui Jingyuan sincerely respects ‘First Dragon’ Ling Yuxiang and listens to him so he dare not create anymore commotion. But grief overcame him and he actually stooped down and started bawling and shouting, “Third Brother oh Third Brother, who did this to you, tell me quickly so that I can cut him up into a thousand pieces and avenge you!”

Ling Yuxiang furrowed his brow and sighed, “Third Sister-in-law, I think it is more appropriate for this matter to be reported to the authorities for them to handle it.”

Madam Jin raised her face slowly, her face full of tears and she has even cried out tears of blood. She seemed to have suddenly thought of something and said, “All right. Two of Shenghuang’s close friends are famous constables, Leng Xue (Coldblooded) and Liu Jiyan and they are both invited. Why don’t we ask them for help?”

Ling Yuxiang was thrilled and said, “With two of them around, we’ll certainly be able to find Third Brother’s murderer very quickly!”

Who is Liu Jiyan?

Liu Jiyan is none other than those around the five lakes and nine prefectures, in the orthodox and unorthodox world and among the twelve major sects would claim to be ‘Divine Constable’, the best fighter in the Investigation Bureau.

The meaning of ‘Divine Constable’ does not only mean that he is godlike amongst the constables, but it also means that even if the case seems to be perpetrated by ghosts or deities, he can still capture the criminal involved.

Not only is Liu Jiyan extremely intelligent, his martial arts is superb too. He is also quite young, in his thirties and the weapon he uses is just a small smoke pipe.

It is rumored that no one can take more than 20 strokes from his smoke pipe.

‘Divine Constable’ Liu Jiyan not only have brains and bravery, he also has spies everywhere amongst the orthodox and unorthodox sects. The constables in the Investigation Bureau all regard him as the judge and leader and obey his every orders.

Liu Jiyan has been friends with ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ for close to seven years.

And now that Jin Shenghuang has been murdered, either by reason or by sentiment, Liu Jiyan will definitely do all his best to help.

As for Leng Xue, what kind of a person is Leng Xue?

Leng Xue is only 20 years old, one of the youngest in the Investigation Bureau.

But he is one of the ‘Four Famed Constables of the World’.

‘Four Famed Constables of the World’ refers to: Wu Qing (Heartless), Tie Shou (Iron Hand), Zhui Ming (Chaser) and Leng Xue (Cold blooded). Surprisingly, even ‘Divine Constable’ Liu Jiyan is not included in the list.

These ‘Four Famed Constables of the World’ are all among the best pugilists in the martial arts realm and each have their own special capabilities, and Leng Xue is one of them.

Last edited by Jean; 08-26-13 at 11:39 PM.

Woot - another one.
    Wuxia's "who done it"

edit: btw, is this the book where "the Four" (Raymond Lam) and the recent movie (Deng Chao & Liu Yifei) were based on?
    Last edited by ycb5959; 08-26-13 at 11:02 PM.

Shall I do an unabridged version?

Quote Originally Posted by kohchun View Post
    Shall I do an unabridged version?
    Second this suggestion.

[PS: it was your unabridged ASITP that got me hooked onto the series in the first place - many thanks!]

sure, go ahead with the unabridged version.

ycb5959, yes, it's the same book that was made into the tvb serial (among others) and the movie.

to continue.....

By the time he was 16 years old, he has accomplished many outstanding work. He has never failed to capture the criminals he was after. When he was 18, in order to capture a truly evil fiend who is extremely highly skilled, he hid himself in that fiend’s evil lair for 11 days, not talking or moving, not eating or drinking, just waiting for the only chance when the fiend was unprepared to give him a fatal blow! For an 18 year old youth to capture that fiend, it was earth shattering news in the martial arts world then.

When he was 19, he rode into the woods alone to pursue 13 ferocious robbers and finally killed his opponents one by one, even the ringleader whose martial arts was twice as good as him died under his sword. When he dragged himself back to the city, full of injuries, everyone thought he won’t live long but in less than two months, he was able to ride a horse and return to his duty of pursuing criminals.

Leng Xue is adept in swordplay and with a high level of tolerance. There is no name to his swordplay. Every strike he makes with his sword is swift, accurate and vicious but none of them has a name to be called by.

He feels that the moves are just patterns and only the moves that can kill are good swordplay.

Therefore, Leng Xue may be young but his ranking in the Investigation Bureau is quite high.

But also because of his youth and stubborn character, a lot of the constables and officers refuse to yield to him. They would rather obey Liu Jiyan. Hence Liu Jiyan’s reputation is much greater than his.

Leng Xue and Jin Shenghuang have been acquainted for only a year. But with Ling Yuxiang, they once worked together to apprehend a bandit in Cang Prefecture so they have known each other for three years.

What has happened to Jin Shenghuang is not something that Leng Xue will ignore.

Leng Xue is standing. If he is able to stand, he will never sit down.
    Because sitting down will make him relax his guard and if he meets with an enemy, his reaction will not be fast enough.

Liu Jiyan is seated. If he is able to sit, he will never stand.
    Because standing will make him tired and once he meets an enemy, his reflexes will not be swift enough. Only when one has enough rest, will the body be able to give its best.

But they were both looking at the same direction.

They were all in Jin Shenghuang’s room, looking at Jing Shenghuang’s body lying on a pool of blood.

Liu Jiyan asked slowly, “Brother Ling, when you came up earlier, the scene already looked like this?”

Ling Yuxiang replied solemnly, “I did give instructions that no one is to move anything and no one is allowed to leave the feast.”

Liu Jiyan lowered his head in thought and continued his questioning, “Brother Ling, did you see any suspicious looking person when you came upstairs?”

Ling Yuxiang replied, “As soon as Third Brother’s scream was heard, Second, Fourth and Fifth Brother rushed here immediately while I stayed behind in the hall to calm the guests down.”

Murong Shuiyun added, “As soon as I came upstairs, I saw the door wide open and knew that something was wrong, so I rushed in with Fourth and Fifth Brother, only to see… Third Brother, lying on the side of that bed, whispering…”

Liu Jiyan pressed on, “What did he say? Can you hear it clearly?”

Murong Shuiyun answered woefully, “Third Brother sounded like he said ‘You, Lou…’ and then he died… I was distraught but Fourth Brother was calmer and he said he would call Eldest Brother to come up here… later, Third Sister-in-law and the rest also came up after hearing the commotion…”

Liu Jiyan exhaled and sighed, “A pity Third Hero Jin could not finish his words.”

Leng Xue suddenly exclaimed. “Yes.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Oh?”

Leng Xue asked coldly, “Is there anyone with the family name Lou here?”

Madam Jin stopped crying and thought for quite a while before answering, “No, there is no one with the family name Lou here.”

Murong Shuiyun added, “None amongst the guests too.”

Liu Jiyan suddenly suggested, “Could it be Liu instead?”

Ling Yuxiang slapped the table and exclaimed, “Right! There should be! I will go and investigate right now.”

Liu Jiyan said, “Before Third Hero Jin died, he managed to say something important after all.”

Leng Xue added quietly, “What he said, it could be the family name of the murderer.”

Leng Xue seldom talks but his words are usually very powerful and decisive.

Liu Jiyan is more talkative but his words are wise, farsighted, calm and also pleasing to the ears.

Ling Yuxiang came back very quickly holding a name list and sighed, “There are indeed two persons with the family name Liu amongst the guests, and one of the family servants is also named Liu.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Oh? Is there anything suspicious about them?”

Ling Yuxiang shook his head, “Those two guests with the family name Liu, one of them is called Liu Yafu and he does not know martial arts at all. He is the boss of a pawnshop and because he frequently sells treasures to Third Brother, he was invited to the birthday celebration by Third Brother. There’s nothing suspicious about this person at all.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “And the other?”

Ling Yuxiang replied, “This person knows a little martial arts and his reputation is not that good but he has always been deeply respectful of Third Brother. With his bit of martial arts training, even if he were to suddenly attack when Third Brother is unprepared, he will never succeed. He is called Liu Jiuru, nicknamed ‘Iron Ruler’ and not famous at all in the martial arts realm. I’m afraid both of you have never even heard of him?”

Liu Jiyan replied with a smile, “This Liu Jiuru is now 43 years old, his weapon is an iron ruler that is 2 feet and 3 inches in length. He loves wine and women, has never done anything really good or bad but loves to create trouble. He was once apprehended and imprisoned in the county jail of Liu Prefecture. He has no family but often heap praises on Brother Jin to others outside.”

This Liu Jiyan indeed lives up to the reputation of ‘Divine Constable’, to remember so clearly and recite smoothly the life of a nobody in the martial arts realm.

Ling Yuxiang was taken aback and said, “You’re the Divine Constable indeed, really impressive.”

Liu Jiyan smiled, “It’s nothing. This is my area of work so of course I need to know everyone and everything in the martial arts realm like the back of my hand.”

Ling Xue said coldly, “I don’t know about this Liu Jiuru, what about that servant with the family name Liu?”

Ling Yuxiang said with a laugh, “That is even more impossible. She’s a 7 year old girl, a little maid that Third Brother just bought and she can’t even tell the difference between joyous and funeral occasions yet.”

Murong Shuiyun suddenly asked, “Do the both of you want to check the guests in the hall to see if they ever left before the tragedy happened?”

Liu Jiyan queried, “Those in the hall, are they all friends of yours?”

Ling Yuxiang answered, “I’ve checked, no one came under a fake name.”

Liu Jiyan added, “Could there be someone amongst them who are enemies or had feuds with Third Hero Jin before?”

Madam Jin sobbed uncontrollably as she answered, “No, absolutely not. Shenghuang discussed the namelist with me for his birthday celebration because we were wary of the possibility of unpleasant happenings during the feast. So we did not invite anyone whom we thought would create trouble or had feuds with. Who would have expected it still…” She cried again as she spoke.

Liu Jiyan said, “Why don’t we trouble Brother Ling to send someone to inform Fourth Hero Shen to release the people in the hall. It’s no use retaining them. No one expected such a thing to happen so when it the incident occurred, a lot of them would not have been in the hall. Take me for example, I was in the garden admiring the bamboos at that time. If we follow this trail of investigation, I’m afraid even I will be under suspicion as well.”

Ling Yuxiang laughed, “Brother Liu must be joking. It’s just that my Third Brother’s house is heavily guarded so if it’s not the guests in the hall who did this, how did the enemy come into the house? Besides, with Third Brother’s skills, I’m afraid there’s no one in the world who can kill him in one move so Third Brother must have been attacked when he was totally unprepared. I’m afraid the perpetrator would be someone Third Brother is familiar with.”

Liu Jiyan sighed gravely, “It definitely is someone he is familiar with. Third Hero Jin was fatally attacked by a weapon akin to a pointed sword and it went right through his chest. It would seem that besides the fact that Brother Jin was caught unaware, this person must be someone he is familiar with because he managed to kill with one stroke. And this person is extremely skilled, otherwise it’s impossible that he would have succeeded as well.”

Murong Shuiyun added, “Isn’t that exactly so? I know my Third Brother well, if it is a stranger he is meeting, he’ll definitely have his whip with him. But now he only went back to retrieve his whip after he was ambushed, so obviously… hai… Third Brother, your death is too unjust…”

Liu Jiyan sighed, “Brother Ling, Second Hero Murong, do you have any idea if Third Hero Jin had any unusual disputes recently?”

Ling Yuxiang replied, “It’s inevitable that those in the martial arts realm will have enemies. It’s just that I have no idea who would who would have such great enmity with Third Brother Jin that he would come and kill him on his birthday…”

Suddenly there was a commotion outside and a young servant dressed in black rushed in panting in a panic. Once he saw Madam Jin, he knelt down and was panting so hard he couldn’t even speak.

Another fine chapter! Thank you, Lady Jean!

And to make a stupid joke that just presents itself:
    Murong Shuiyun answered woefully, “Third Brother sounded like he said ‘YOLO’ and then he died…" :-D
    Last edited by WesY2K; 08-28-13 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks, Jean

I just started looking at the Chinese text & it appears that it is broken into 7 inter-related stories & contains 4 large volumes total... This is a VERY long series, it seems.

Is your version from http://www.tianyabook.com/wuxia/wenruian/ ?

The one from millionbook.net is organized a bit better at: http://www.millionbook.net/wx/w/wenruian/index.html
    Might want to take a quick glance over it, but don't let it scare you away...

Thanx for the update Jean... Much appreciated!

I got my online version from http://www.cclawnet.com/wenruian/01/index.htm

Yup, the stories are interrelated but also short stories on it's own. So I can do it story by story. In fact even this one I am translating, is made up of 5 short stories. The first 3 chapters complete one story so even if I just do 3 chapters and stop, no one will be left hanging. lol

I headed over to Jean's online version:

Sample reading (google translate):

Suddenly hall flash shadows, Shen wrong bone black wind, his face like a black general Ying Bengbeng Lingyu like a frown, Shen bone Shuangshouyitan wrong, actually are blood.
    hall, someone uttered a cry .
    Shen Ling Yu wrong bone bow before the elephant said: "Brother, you go to visit."

I think I'll wait for Jean's translation

you can never trust machine translations with anything longer than a sentence. lol

to continue.....

Ling Yuxiang said gravely, “What is the matter, take your breath before you speak and don’t alarm your mistress.”

The servant said agitatedly, “Just now… just now, when I was passing by the garden, on my way to the hall to change serve tea and drinks to the guests, but I didn’t expect, didn’t expect that from behind that huge tree, a.. a… a hand just stretched out and grabbed my throat. I almost died of fright…”

Liu Jiyan, Ling Yuxiang and Leng Xue’s expressions all changed as they pressed on, “How did you escape?”

The servant gasped, “I did not… not escape, it’s him… him who let me go…”

Ling Yuxiang asked, “Did you have a good look what he looks like?”

The servant answered dumbly, “I don’t have the guts to turn around and see. I’m already… already lucky enough that I did not die of fright.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Do you know why he let you go?”

The servant stammered, “That person… that person stuffed a tael of silver into my hands… he’s really generous… a tael of silver, and also gave me a letter and wanted me to hand it personally to Sir. It’s not that I wanted the money, he said, if I… I… refuse to hand it over, he just have to use a bit of strength… a bit of strength and he can strangle me dead…”

Ling Xue asked quietly, “Where’s the letter?”

The servant took out the letter with trembling hands. Madam Jin was about to take the letter when Liu Jiyan shook his hand to indicate his intention. He took over the letter instead and weighed it in his hand before he went to the window and after stuffing his nose with two soft stuffing, opened the letter. This is indeed just a letter, no traps whatsoever. Only then did Liu Jiyan return the letter to Madam Jin. Mandam Jin read the letter, and suddenly she screamed and fainted. Ling Yuxiang told the maids to hold on to Madam Jin while he took the letter and read it out:

“First Dragon Ling Yuxiang, Second Dragon Murong Shuiyun, Third Dragon Shen Cuogu, Fifth Dragon Gui Jingyuan, greetings.

Do you remember the blood debt of ‘Flying Blood Sword Devil’ Ba Shuren ten years ago? Today, his descendants will want you to pay with your lives. The first one is Jin Shenghuang, and within three days the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ will all be dead and the deep enmity made ten years ago will be settled. All of you, wait for death.

Sincerely from the descendant of Sword Devil.”

Flying Blood Sword Devil?

This name not only made Madam Jin faint, even Ling Yuxiang, Murong Shuiyun and Gui Jingyuan’s faces turned pale and the expressions on Liu Jiyan and Leng Xue changed.

Flying Blood Sword Devil Ba Shuren is an evil fiend whom everyone in the orthodox and unorthodox world regards as a monster ten years ago. He kills with no regard and is evil in his ways. Once in order to take over ‘Clear Wind Hill’, he caused a bloodbath in ‘Clear Wind Stockade’, all the 70 to 80 martial arts experts from the unorthodox world in the stockade died in his hands. In order to obtain placentas, he also killed close to a hundred pregnant ladies in Luoyang City. The heroes of Luoyang surrounded and attacked him but he killed them all as well. In that fight, 83 members from the orthodox sects died.

As for the martial arts of Flying Blood Sword Devil, he has also reached his peak, especially one of his moves ‘Flying Blood Sword’ is fast as lightning as it struck towards his enemy’s chest. Until now, no one has heard of anyone who can avoid that attack of his.

Flying Blood Sword Devil has three descendants, and they are all evil-doers. Of course, their martial arts cannot be compared to Ba Shuren but because of Ba Shuren, no one dared to antagonize these three young brutes.

Maybe it was really the time for Flying Blood Sword Devil Ba Shuren to die. After the bloodbath in Luoyang, he came to Cangzhou Prefecture. The teacher of ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ Guan Gengshan could tolerate it no longer and asked Ba Shuren out for a duel.

The martial arts of the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ are already extraordinary so their Teacher Guan Gengshan’s martial arts is even better, considerably the best in Mount Hua. He fought with Ba Shuren for four days and nights without a victor emerging.

At that time Ba Shuren’s disciples were still drinking and having fun in Luoyang City while the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ were in Cangzhou. On seeing that their Teacher has yet to return after three days, they were very worried and hurried to Mount Hua to have a look at the fight.

Just as they made it to Mount Hua, Ba Shuren is after all more devious and with his ‘Flying Blood Sword’, stabbed Guan Gengshan’s chest in a flash. But before Guan Gengshan died, he also seriously wounded Ba Shuren with a palm attack.

On seeing the horrible death of their Teacher, naturally the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ would not care about anything else but to rush up and fight. Ba Shuren had not managed to retract his sword yet and with the four days of hard battle, he was already extremely tired. On top of that, he was seriously injured and was fighting empty handed. After a tough fight lasting a day and night, the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ were all full of injuries but in the end, they managed to unite and killed this ‘Flying Blood Sword Devil’, dismembering him.

This battle is the famous ‘Five Dragons against Frenzied Devil’ combat in the martial arts realm.

This combat also left a lingering fear amongst the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ and every time they spoke about the battle with Ba Shuren, they can’t help but feel nervous.

Guan Gengshan’s disciples were highly skilled because they have a stern teacher, that’s why they were able to kill Ba Shuren. However Ba Shuren’s disciples, although they were taught by the Flying Blood Sword Devil, they did not practice hard and became bullies using their teacher’s reputation. Once their teacher was killed, they disappeared without a trace, changing their names and identities, never to be seen in the martial arts realm again.

But Ba Shuren has taught them all the martial arts that he knows so once they can master that, there may be another catastrophe in the martial arts world. This is what the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ have been secretly worrying about all along.

And now the descendants of ‘Flying Blood Sword Devil’ is finally back to seek revenge.

The reputation of the descendants of Ba Shuren is enough to cause problems for Leng Xue, Liu Jiyan and the rest.

The Jin family all looked at Ling Yuxiang, Murong Shuiyun, Gui Jingyuan etc, their faces ominous with a look of fear and alarm.

The hall was deadly quiet.

Last edited by Jean; 08-28-13 at 11:52 PM.

hah- another chapter. Thanks!

Reading Kohchun's unabridged thread makes the various "chapters" flow...(re-reading the story now)

2nd! Since I have no luck over at ASTTP.

Thanks Jean! Interesting story.

Since the Devil Sword won fair and square, it was not gentlemenly of the 5 Dragons to challenge him immediately after he won.

BTW which of the constables is the one in the wheelchair?
    "I may walk slowly but I'm walking forward"

Quote Originally Posted by lorrycai View Post

BTW which of the constables is the one in the wheelchair?
    Wu Qing (Heartless)