Thread: Canada

Default Canada

Just got back from Canada. It was my first time there despite living in Northeast US for the last 3 decades or so. We flew to Seattle, and then drove up to Vancouver before taking a bus tour through the Rockies.

The West Coast has some very odd looking clouds -especially around mountains. Seeing some of the sights I could see why people in days of old thought that immortals and fairies lived in the mountains or the clouds.

Tap water from a motel we stayed at between Vancouver and the Rockies was kind of odd. It had stuff floating in it even after I let the water run for a couple of minutes. I discovered this after I boiled the water, and noticed something on the surface. I initially thought it was something in the kettle but it came like that from the tap. Had the distinct sensation that the tap water was just straight from the lake. It didn't help that some of the lakes around there had this weird blue color to the water due to minerals.

We also rented a canoe out on Lake Louise, and while the blue colored water was pretty nice looking, I didn't see any fish, and saw a number of dead bugs floating on the surface. Did see a single seagull though.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

there's fishing in Lake Louise, primarily trouts and waters in Western Canada are generally cold. In the Okanagan and further south, there are some spots for bass. River fishing is popular especially for salmon and sturgeon on the Fraser. Golf is reasonable.

Water, water everywhere....most town's and villages get their water from the lakes and rivers. Only bigger cities have reservoirs. Even cities like Kelowna, Penticton get their water off the Okanagan lake. Water in these smaller places tend to be fresher during Spring. We had a very beautiful summer this year with practically no rain in July and little in August.

Yeah, you notice it's hard water especially when you shower or wash. Yeah the mountains are beautiful, that is why tourist likes to go there but they miss some of the best parts along the way. i.e. the salmon fishing done by first nations people using a net at the end of a 3 metre pole standing on the rocks, see the mesas at sunset/sunrise. Stay a while longer, and you would not want to leave. That is what happened to us.

The tour guide told me that there's going to be a salmon run next year I think. Do you know if you're allowed to fish for salmon during their run? I'd imagine after they spawn they die off anyway. I don't really fish but the idea of a salmon run sounds pretty good. I bought some smoked salmon in Canada, and it was pretty good. They have it here where I live but I never bothered to try it since I would always go for the fresh stuff.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Loved Vancouver. Biking in Stanley Park was something to behold. The descent from Grouse Mountain provided magical views of the city surrounded by clouds. Oddly enough, we didn't run into any particularly good Chinese food. Need to ask a local next time.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Hi all, I will be flying into Vancouver, do I really need to rent a car? What are some places to visit? Thanks in advance =)

In Canada, you need a car for transportation unless you only want to stay in downtown. Even if you only want to stay in downtown, having a car still make life a lot more convenient for you. Personally, I would rent a car but rent the cheapest one you can get unless you have a lot of money to burn. There is no need to rent a luxury car.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    In Canada, you need a car for transportation unless you only want to stay in downtown. Even if you only want to stay in downtown, having a car still make life a lot more convenient for you. Personally, I would rent a car but rent the cheapest one you can get unless you have a lot of money to burn. There is no need to rent a luxury car.
    Thanks, good to know,
    how is the parking situation there?