Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 7: Laughter of The Sword God [剑神一笑 Jian Shen Yi Xiao]

Bravo for another completion, foxs.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thank you foxs.

Thanks Fox!
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Thanks Foxs!

Very many thanks, foxs.

Another Wuxia story in the bag, another feather in your cap!

Thanks for the support guys, and thank you my faithful readers. Although Ren Wo Xing wants to work on Book 5, he has graciously let me help him, so although my knowledge is nowhere near Junny's and Ren's, I'll start working on it. Please give me a few days since I have to read the earlier chapters, make sure the names are consistent, and then I'll have to download the text and run it thru the online dictionary.

Foxs, thanks for all your time. You have given people like me who can't read chinese a great source of enjoyment.

Sounds great foxs .. bravo!

Ren and Foxs, thank you so much!

Wow! another book... thanks foxs and Ren

Thank you for all your hard work! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    [I]
    Author’s Note:

Writing wuxia novel for twenty-three, four, five, six, seven years, I have never written a ‘Note’.

But since I was little I always love reading the ‘Note’. Because it is often very good, but also very short. Oftentimes it can make people laugh heartily.

For example, after someone wrote, ‘so and so pulled the sword’, he also wrote a note, ‘this person actually already pulled the sword and put it on the table, after he finished eating, he wore it again on his waist, hence he was able to immediately pull it out.’

After you read such note, if you don’t laugh aloud, what do you do? Cry?

Sometimes ‘Note’ can also express the author’s opinion and scholarly knowledge, ‘Note’ explains things that others did not know but wish to hear, sometimes it is even like ‘painting a dragon and dot the eyes’ [i.e. to add the vital finishing touch], that without this ‘dot’, the ‘dragon’ won’t look alive.

Gifted scholars’ annotation is often like that. The four gifted scholars of the Jin sages [?not sure] are even more like that.

The note I am writing now has nothing to do with Lu Xiaofeng, let alone Ximen Chuixue, so much so that it doesn’t even have anything to do with this story. But if I do not write, my heart will be unhappy, and then the readers’ hearts will also be unhappy.

Because two persons appeared in this ‘birds do not lay eggs’ ‘Note’, whose reputation, in modern day fiction lovers’ eye, is probably a lot higher than Lu Xiaofeng and Ximen Chuixue.

These two persons, of course, are my friends; these two persons, of course, are Jin Yong and Ni Kuang.

One day, late at night, Ni Kuang and I had some drink together. I don’t know how many hundred or how many thousand times we drank together, also I don’t know how many ‘birds do not lay eggs’ matters we talked that we did not know whether to laugh or to cry.

The difference was, that day I proposed a couplet that ‘even hens do not lay eggs’ to him. I spoke the upper line, and asked Ni Kuang to come up with the lower part to complete it.

The upper part was ‘ice is colder than iced water’ [冰比冰水冰, lit. ‘ice is more ice than water’; my apology, I am not a scholar].

Ice is certainly colder than iced water. When ice is dissolved in the water, the temperature is already rising.

When water reaches its freezing point, it will solidify to become ice. Therefore, it does not matter what kind of water in the world, it can’t be colder than ice.

This upper part was exceptionally scholarly, three out of six characters (sic) are ‘bing’ [ice]. The first ‘bing’ was a noun, the second ‘bing’ was an adjective, and so was the third.

I have done some research with a lot of scholarly friends, there is no other written language in the world that can produce similar/analogous sentence with so few words.

Couplet is a unique form in Chinese script, it is not extremely difficult, but it is extremely fascinating.

The boring part is, although the upper part is there, nobody knew where the lower part may be.

I could not come up with anything, neither did Ni Kuang.

Ni Kuang is a lot smarter than I am, and he is also much more fun than I am; even the most discerning woman, when she saw him, her remark was, “This man is so much fun.”

But even the most fun person sometimes will have some not-fun time. Such an interesting upper line, he could not come up with the lower line.

This bit-by-bit is not surprising.

The surprising thing is, when Jin Yong heard this upper part, it was just like when he usually thought about a lot of other problems; he thought about it for a long time, and then he only said four words, “This couplet doesn’t make any sense.” [此联不通 – ci lian bu tong]

Hearing these four words, I was extremely happy, because I know, ‘This couplet doesn’t make any sense,’ means ‘I cannot complete it either.’

Mr. Jin Yong is considered wise and farsighted. Mr. Ni Kuang is sharp, quick and talented. Under this circumstances, if there is anybody who can complete the couplet ‘ice is colder than iced water’, and the lower part suitably matches, Jin Yong, Ni Kuang and I are willing to send a copy of our autographed book, as a tribute to this gentleman.

I am afraid this ‘Note’ is one of the longest in all martial art novels.

Editor’s note:

The above ‘Note’ seems a little obscure. After a lot of online research, there are a lot of ‘Laughter of The Sword God’, and every single one has this ‘Note’. Yet it cannot be confirmed whether it was Gu Long’s own writing or not. In the preface of the collection of his works, which resembles triple-couplet, Great Master Jin Yong denied it. From this, it is evident that to say the least, the spreading of this upper part of the couplet ‘ice is colder than iced water’ has nothing to do with Jin Yong.
    橙比橙汁橙. An orange is more orange-like than orange juice

Thanks Foxs for translating all these Gu Long novels!

Book 7 was fun to read but I enjoyed book 6 more. I wonder if Gu Long had other plans in mind for Old Man Gong. I'm surprised that he didn't appear in book 7. Neither did Sha Man. I'm happy Beef Soup appeared, although her change of heart was not clearly explained.

It almost seems like Gu Long wanted to write a mystery novel starring his favorite characters Lu XiaoFeng and Ximen Chuxue, but he didn't want to bother with continuity. I liked the scenes with Sikong.