Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyzebear View Post
    A minor error, "body suddenly became week"

Another thumbs up to the translation and story.
    Thanks for the catch! Fixed it.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    I wonder how good Sima Chaoqun really is, stacked up against Zhu Meng, Xiao Gao and the box guy, mano a mano...
    No spoilers, I'll only say, you'll never guess who goes up against who, and what the result is. Wahahahahahahaha.

Although I can tell you what my opinion was at this point in the book. Based on what happened leading up to and at the Wild Goose Pagdo, as well as everything said by Xiao Leixue and Zhuo Donglai, it really seems like Sima's victories are usually arranged or at least manipulated by Zhuo Donglai. Furthermore, Zhuo Donglai was worried that Little Gao might beat Sima. So I definitely think they are on much more of an even playing field than popular opinion in Jianghu might be.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-25-14 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks Deathblade.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Thanks deathblade for a quick update

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Furthermore, Zhuo Donglai was worried that Little Gao might beat Sima. So I definitely think they are on much more of an even playing field than popular opinion in Jianghu might be.
    Yeah I get the same feeling too... but that also means Sima is no slouch himself... he might not be the best, but he's probably at least on par with Zhu Meng himself... alright, can't wait to see the top guys finally clashing. Oh, and haven't said it yet, but many many thanks for the translation!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    Yeah I get the same feeling too... but that also means Sima is no slouch himself... he might not be the best, but he's probably at least on par with Zhu Meng himself... alright, can't wait to see the top guys finally clashing. Oh, and haven't said it yet, but many many thanks for the translation!
    My pleasure and glad you are enjoying it!

But according to Xiao Leixue, who rescued Gao at the Pagoda, Gao is no match for Sima at that point in time.

Thks deathblade for keeping the pace ....

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    But according to Xiao Leixue, who rescued Gao at the Pagoda, Gao is no match for Sima at that point in time.

Thks deathblade for keeping the pace ....
    Because at that time, due to outside interference from Zhuo Donglai, he wasn't in the right frame of mind to be able to achieve victory.

As long as Zhuo Donglai is around, nobody will be able to defeat Sima Chaoqun.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    Because at that time, due to outside interference from Zhuo Donglai, he wasn't in the right frame of mind to be able to achieve victory.

As long as Zhuo Donglai is around, nobody will be able to defeat Sima Chaoqun.
    Yeah, exactly. If you've ever been betrayed by someone, you know that your mind gets totally messed up. And it happened literally hours or maybe even less before the duel. Little Gao said that he always likes to face his opponent in a fair fight, Xiao Leixue replied, you can probably never have a fair fight with Sima Chaoqun. The only way to have a fair fight with him would be to ambush him.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Yeah, exactly. If you've ever been betrayed by someone, you know that your mind gets totally messed up. And it happened literally hours or maybe even less before the duel. Little Gao said that he always likes to face his opponent in a fair fight, Xiao Leixue replied, you can probably never have a fair fight with Sima Chaoqun. The only way to have a fair fight with him would be to ambush him.
    That makes sense ... so far we have not seen the extent of Zhou Donglai's skills. Thks Grundle and deathblade ...

Chapter 11: Eighty-eight slain

Part 2

Zhuo Donglai’s face showed no emotion, and even now looked as if it had been frozen, every single muscle. If you have ever seen a dead person frozen in ice, perhaps you can imagine the expression on his face.

A young man, not yet twenty, was in front of him, standing as straight as a javelin. The expression on the young man’s face was almost the same as Zhuo Donglai’s.

This young man’s name was Zhuo Qing

He wasn’t always surnamed Zhuo. He used to be surnamed Guo. He was the brother of Guo Zhuang, who died in the Red Flower Bazaar.

But after having been adopted by Zhuo Donglai, he forgot about his old name.

“Zhu Meng has entered the city.”

He had reported this news, and he had been the one who discovered the medicine flowing down the gutter.

Recently, the tasks he had accomplished for Zhuo Donglai far exceeded those of any of his other trusted subordinates.

“How many men came?”

“Including Gao Jianfei, there are a total of eighty-eight.

“Did he specifically tell Guard Huang that he was Zhu Meng?”

“Yes.”

“What else did he say?”

“That they had come to Chang’an to die!”

Zhuo Donglai’s pupils constricted, as if they had become awls.

“They didn’t come to Chang’an to kill someone? They came to Chang’an to die?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Very good.” The corners of his eyes began to pulse. “Extremely good.”

People who knew Zhuo Donglai knew that only when circumstances were extremely critical would the corners of his eyes pulse in this way.

They pulsed because he could see that his opponent had not brought eighty-eight men, but rather, eight hundred and eighty.

—People with murderous intent are not to be feared, but people prepared to die are. They are worth as much as ten.

“Tell me again what they were wearing.”

“They were dressed well, and had leggings. They wore white bands, and sewn onto each band was a torn strip of reddish cloth.”

Zhuo Donglai laughed coldly.

“Good. Extremely good. Do you know where those pieces of cloth came from?”

“I don’t.”

“It’s definitely Cleats’ bloodstained clothes. When he died, his clothes were most certainly died red with blood.”

People from Luoyang had already returned and reported to Zhuo Donglai all the details of the bloody battle.

“The Lion Clan was like a sheet of shifting sand, unable to unite. But Cleats’ blood brought them together again.” Zhuo Donglai’s voice suddenly seemed to contain some emotion. “Cleats. Very good. What good Cleats.”

“Yes,” said Zhuo Qing. “Cleats might not look very good, but cleats are cheap. They usually aren’t as good as other types of shoes, but when it’s raining or snowing, or the road is muddy and slippery, they are the most useful.”

He spoke in a very flat tone, because he was simply describing a fact.

He was not the type of person to be easily moved by emotion.

Zhuo Donglai stared at him, stared for a very long time, and then did something that no one would ever have expected him to do.

He suddenly stood up, walked over, and embraced Zhuo Qing. Even though it was a very light embrace, it was the first time in his life he had ever done something like this.

—Other than Sima Chaoqun, it was his first time to get close to any other man.

Even though Zhuo Qing still just stood there like a javelin, his eyes were filled with hot tears.

It seemed Zhuo Donglai had not expected this reaction. He suddenly changed the topic. “Zhu Meng knows where I am, but he hasn’t come looking for me yet.”

“Correct.”

“Considering that they came here to die, I really must accommodate them. I must go looking for him.”

“Yes.”

“But these eighty-eight men have embraced death in their hearts. Eighty-eight men of one mind, one spirit. They are suppressing this spirit of death, but it may break out at any moment, it can’t be held back.”

“Correct.”

“So I won’t go after them right now.”

“Yes.”

Zhuo Donglai’s awl-like pupils suddenly filled with a ruthless and uncanny smiling air. “Do you know how I will deal with them?” he asked Zhuo Qing.

“I don’t.”

One word at a time, Zhuo Donglai spoke, in his unique tone. “I’m going to treat them to a meal. I want to have a welcoming banquet for them tonight at 'Chang’an' Restaurant.’”

“Ok.”

“You must go invite them for me.”

“Very well.”

“Zhu Meng might not accept. He might think it’s a trap. But,” he said coldly, “I’m sure you can think of a way to convince them to go.”

“Yes,” said Zhuo Qing, “they will go. They definitely will go.”

“And I hope you can come back alive.”

Zhuo Qing’s reply was simple and resolute: “I will.”
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-28-14 at 02:48 AM. Reason: corrected from "might accept" to "might not accept"

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade for a quick update

Thanks, deathblade.

Thanks!!!!

Chapter 11: Eighty-eight slain

Part 3

When Zhuo Donglai returned to his warm room, Die Wu was combing her hair.

She ran the comb through her long, pitch-black hair, over and over again. It seemed as if there were nothing in the world she wanted other than to comb her hair.

Zhuo Donglai watched her quietly, watched her run the comb through her hair again and again.

Two people, one comb, one person watching. A long time passed and then suddenly a snapping sound rang out as the comb broke into three pieces.

This comb was a high quality product of the “Jade Square” in Liuzhou. Even if you tried to twist it with two hands, it would be difficult to break it.

Women usually treasure their hair, and would never use force when combing it.

But the comb was indeed broken.

Die Wu’s hands began to tremble. They trembled so much so that she couldn’t even hold the remaining piece of the comb in her hand. It clattered to the dressing table.

Zhuo Donglai didn’t see.

It seemed as if he didn’t see any of these things.

“I’m treating some people to dinner tonight,” he told her softly. “Two honoured guests.”

Die Wu looked at the broken pieces of the comb on the dressing table, looking as if she were beginning to go crazy.

She laughed crazily, and then said, “Every day I have to treat myself, because everyone has to eat, even someone like me. Eat a bowl, then eat another bowl, I eat so happily.”

“I want my guests to eat happily today, too,” said Zhuo Donglai. “So I want you to do something for them.”

“Whatever you want me to do is fine.” She laughed unceasingly. “Even if you want me to go and eat shit, I’ll comply with your wishes.”

“Well that’s excellent, then.” Zhuo Donglai was also laughing, and his laughter seemed to be filled with joy. “Actually, you should know what I want you to do for them.” Oh so slowly, he said, “I want you to dance for them.”

“The treasured sword is ruthless, Zhuangzi dreams no dreams;
    Dance for the king, transform into a butterfly.” (1)

Part 4

The most famous eatery in Chang’an was called “Chang’an Restaurant.” The most famous teahouse in Chang’an was also called “Chang’an Restaurant.” But Chang’an Restaurant and Eatery and Chang’an Restaurant and Teahouse were completely different.

“Chang’an Restaurant, definitely not easy.”

To start such an eatery or teahouse like these was definitely not very easy.

Chang’an Restaurant Eatery was in the west of the city. Its gardens and parks were spacious, the cutlery elegant. Amidst the luxuriant flowers and trees were ten pavilions. Each floor of each pavilion was resplendently decorated. The quality of the food was the highest, garnering ceaseless praise.

Chang’an Restaurant Teahouse was in the city center, on one of the most flourishing and bustling streets. Prices were reasonable and business was good. And whether one was drinking tea or alcohol, or eating food, the portion sizes were good, and would definitely not leave anyone feeling like they had been taken advantage of.

So early every morning, the establishment would be filled with customers from every walk of life. (2)
    Because in addition to food and drink, you could enjoy many other forms of entertainment there. You could see bizarre people and run into old friends. Maybe the woman sitting at the table next to you, drinking tea with her husband and child, would be your lover from years before. Perhaps sitting in the corner, unwilling to raise his head, was the debtor you had been searching for for so long.

If you didn’t want to be found, this was not the place to go to.

And so Zhu Meng went there.

He wasn’t scared of being found, and was in fact waiting for someone from the Great Protection Agency to come looking for him.

No one was willing to ask him, “Why did you come here. Why don’t you just kill your way into the Great Protection Agency?”

Zhu Meng had his reasons.

—Chang’an was the Great Protection Agency’s base of operations, and was filled with experts. Even more fearsome were Sima Chaoqun’s and Zhuo Donglai’s martial arts. So they waited patiently for their enemy to arrive, having planted themselves in a favorable position.

“We’re here to defy death, not deliver ourselves to it. We may have to die, but we don’t have to die a meaningless death.”

—When fighting a formidable opponent, relying only on courage was not enough.

“We must be patient, rely on ourselves, endure any humiliation to accomplish our mission.”

—Die Wu, will you really dance for others?

Zhu Meng tried as hard as possible not to think of her.

Even though Die Wu’s movements when dancing could etch themselves indelibly into one’s memory, they had already been diluted by Cleat’s red blood.

He had sworn an oath, not to let Cleat’s blood be shed in vain.

No one was drinking.

Their emotions were aroused, their fighting spirit ignited. There was no need to rely on alcohol to provide stimulation.

The teahouse had over a hundred tables, and they had occupied thirteen of them. Earlier, the teahouse had been packed, but as soon as they appeared, more than half of the customers had fled.

After seeing the blood red tassels on their blades, the white cloths on their heads, the murderous expression on their faces, everyone could tell that these strangers were not here to drink tea.

They were here to drink blood.

The blood of their enemies.

Zhuo Qing arrived alone.

When he entered the teahouse, they didn’t notice him, because they had no idea who he was.

Only Little Gao knew.

This young man had left a deep impression on Little Gao, but it seemed Zhuo Qing didn’t recognise him. He entered the teahouse and walked directly up to Zhu Meng.

“Are you the Clan Leader of the Lion Clan from Luoyang?”

Zhu Meng suddenly lifted his head and stared at him with two bloodshot eyes. “Yes, I am Zhu Meng. Who are you?”

“Your young servant is surnamed Zhuo.” (3)

“You’re surnamed Zhuo?” asked Little Gao, shocked. “I seem to remember you weren’t surnamed Zhuo before.”

“Oh?”

“You used to be surnamed Guo. I remember very clearly.”

“I don’t remember,” said Zhuo Qing coolly. “I’ve forget the past very quickly. Things that should be forgotten, I won’t think about.”

He looked at Little Gao calmly, his face completely expressionless. “It wouldn’t hurt for you to learn from me a bit. Maybe your life would be a bit happier.”

—It is often at the most inappropriate time that people will recall things they shouldn’t recall. This is one of the greatest agonies.

—Was Little Gao now thinking about that woman?

He suddenly wanted to have a drink.

Just as these thoughts entered his head, Zhu Meng laughed. He turned his head up and laughed wildly. “Well said!” In a loud voice he ordered, “Bring wine! I want to drink three large bowls of wine with this well-spoken young man.”

“Your young servant doesn’t want to drink right now,” said Zhuo Qing. “I can’t accompany you.”

Zhu Meng’s laughter suddenly ceased, and he stared at him with a predatory look. “You don’t want to drink and you don’t want to accompany me?”

“Correct, I don’t want to drink. Not even one drop.” Zhuo Qing didn’t even blink. “When your young servant wants to forget something, he doesn’t need to drink alcohol.”

Zhu Meng shot to his feet. The teapot in his hand shattered. “You really won’t drink?”

Zhuo Qing’s expression hadn’t changed. “If the Clan Lord wishes to kill me now, it would be as easy as turning over his hand. But to get me to drink would be as difficult as climbing to the heavens.”

Zhu Meng suddenly laughed heartily. “You’re a good kid. You have guts. You’re surnamed Zhuo, is it the same Zhuo as Zhuo Donglai?”

“Yes.”

“And Zhuo Donglai sent you here?”

“Yes.”

“To do what?”

“Your young servant was sent here to extend an invitation to the Clan Leader and Hero Gao. Tonight Mr. Zhuo would like to hold a welcoming banquet for you, at the First Pavilion of Chang’an Restaurant, in the west of city.”

“Does he know how many people we brought here?”

“Not counting Hero Gao, the Clan Leader has brought eighty-six people.”

“And he only wants to invite us two?” Zhu Meng laughed coldly. “Zhuo Donglai is really just too stingy.”

“I’m afraid he’ s not stingy, but considerate.”

“Considerate?”

“Because Mr. Zhuo wants to be considerate, he only dares to invite the Clan Leader and Hero Gao.”

“Why?”

“Even if it’s a hazardous situation, two unparalleled heroes can come and go as they wish.”(4) Zhuo Qing laughed coolly. “I’m afraid others just won’t do.”

Zhu Meng laughed again. “Well said. Even if the Chang’an Restaurant First Pavilion is a hazardous situation, Zhu Meng and Little Gao will head over. But you shouldn’t have come here.”

“Why?”

“When a talented person like you suddenly appears, how could I bear to let him go?” Zhu Meng’s laughter was as cold as snow. “If I let you go, wouldn’t everyone under heaven laugh at me, and say that Zhu Meng could not see a hero standing right in front of him?”

Zhuo Qing suddenly laughed.

“If Yang Jian could seek refuge with the Great Protection Agency, then I could also seek refuge with the Lion Clan. But I’m afraid now it’s not possible.”

“And when would it be possible?”

“When the Lion Clan is powerful enough to defeat the Great Protection Agency.” Zhuo Qing appeared to be completely emotionless. “Your young servant is not a very loyal person, but he does have a very clear view of things.”

Little Gao looked at him, shocked. He really had never imagined that he would hear such words come from the mouth of someone so young.

Zhuo Qing noticed his change of expression. “What I’m saying is the truth,” he said. “The truth is often not very pleasant to hear.”

Zhu Meng laughed. “Then should I let you return to Zhuo Donglai so that you can help him fight us?”

“Your young servant already said, the Clan Leader can kill me by simply turning over his hand. But the Clan Leader should realize that if he does kill me, then seeing a certain person again would be as difficult as climbing to the heavens.”

Zhu Meng’s face changed color.

He knew which “certain person” Zhuo Qing was talking about. The statement slashed at him like a whip, and he suddenly didn’t know how to protect himself.

Zhuo Qing had already bowed and saluted. “Your young servant takes leave.”

He suddenly turned and walked off, clearly not worried at all that someone might cleave his head off from behind. He didn’t cast another glance at Zhu Meng.

The veins on Zhu Meng’s forehead bulged.

—He couldn’t let Zhuo Qing leave, couldn’t let his subordinates see him let an enemy free because of a woman.

—But how could he let Die Wu die?

Little Gao sighed. “I never thought he would see things so clearly. He knew that the Lion Clan’s Zhu Meng wouldn’t kill an unarmed person, someone acting on orders to extend an invitation.” He glanced around. “No true man would do something like that, let alone Zhu Meng.”

One of the other men stood up and said in a loud voice, “Big Brother Gao is right. Brothers, let’s all toast Big Brother Gao.”

Eighty six men all shouted in agreement, their voices ringing like thunder. Little Gao ripped open his jacket. “Okay! Bring the wine!”

(1) Songs/poetry always are difficult to translate, and require either a good knowledge of Chinese poetry, or a good bit of research. I’m pretty sure that Gu Long is taking a famous line from the philosophy of Zhuangzi to make this part of the song. Zhuangzi (a famous Warring States period philosopher) had a dream where he became a butterfly. Then he woke up and wasn’t sure whether he was a man who had dreamed of a butterfly, or perhaps he was actually a butterfly dreaming that he was a man. Here’s more deep info http://goo.gl/9JtnFB
    (2) What I’m translating “every walk of life” is a Chinese idiom which means people of the “three religions and nine schools of thoughts.” That would be referring to the three main religions of China (Confucianism, Daoism, Buddhism) and the nine major schools of thought (Confucians, Daoists, Naturalists, Legalists, Logicians, Mohists, Politcal Strategists, Eclectics, Agriculturalists)
    (3) He’s addressing himself as a junior of a lower generation.
    (4) He uses a cool idiom to describe a hazardous situation. The literal translation is “a dragon’s pool or a tiger’s den.”

Not a very exciting update I know. There's more cool stuff to come in Chapter 11, though! Stay tuned.

Thank you, deathblade. Has it been mentioned why Die Wu came to Zhuo Donglai or not yet? Zhu Meng loves her but she escaped from him and being raped by Zhuo Donglai. What was the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by sainuu View Post
    Thank you, deathblade. Has it been mentioned why Die Wu came to Zhuo Donglai or not yet? Zhu Meng loves her but she escaped from him and being raped by Zhuo Donglai. What was the reason?
    Well here is the part where Cleats explains it:

“Is she still in Luo Yang?” asked Little Gao

“She’s not. When your servant and the Clan Leader were returning from Chang’an that night, people attacked the Lion Clan Hall in the middle of the night. Cai Chong was on duty, and because of his laxness, the enemy succeeded easily. Not only did they burn down the Lion Clan hall, they killed more than forty of our brothers, and then just swaggered off.”

“They were definitely sent by Zhuo Donglai.”

“They must have been,” said Cleats. “Not only were they professionals, they also were very familiar with our internal situation.”

“The Lion Clan must have been infiltrated by some of Zhuo Donglai’s men.”

“Therefore, some people suspect that Cai Chong intended to betray the Clan Leader all along. Others say that he was lax in his watch and feared punishment by the Clan Leader, and so therefore betrayed him.”

“Did Die Wu go along with Cai Chong?”

Cleats shook his head. “Miss Die never liked that idiot, how could she go along with him?”

“Don’t tell me she was kidnapped by Zhuo Donglai’s men? He wants to use her as a hostage to threaten Zhu Meng?”

Cleats sighed. “It’s for this very reason that the Clan Leader isn’t willing to go to Chang’an to settle accounts with Sima.”

“Even if Cai Chong hadn’t gone against him, he still wouldn’t go?”

“Most likely not. If the Clan Leader went to Chang’an,” he said sadly, “those bastards would probably bring out Miss Die immediately and put her to the sword.” He yet again seemed to be on the verge of tears. “The Clan Lord told me before, as long as Miss Die is able to live a good life, he can deal with any sort of suffering.”

“So it’s because of this Miss Die that your Clan Leader has become so depressed, not willing to do a single thing. And Cai Chong can strut around the streets doing whatever he wants.”

“Your servant never thought that the Clan Leader would become so infatuated with a woman. Even in my dreams I never imagined it.”

That having been said, I think there's more to the story. From the way Die Wu acts, thinks, and talks, I think she must have left Zhu Meng around the same time as the surprise attack. Or perhaps was even willing (at first) to be taken captive by Zhuo Donglai. From her thoughts, speech, and actions, it seems she is scared of Zhu Meng, but doesn't love him, or at least is twisted about it.