Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Thanks! Coming to an end!!

A long chapter ... but those loyal friends dying in this manner ... it seems undeserving. Thks deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks, deathblade.

You are really spoiling us with this multiple updates a day.

Thank you, deathblade.

That was a powerful bromance
    --=={Grundle}==--

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    A long chapter ... but those loyal friends dying in this manner ... it seems undeserving. Thks deathblade.
    Yeah. The more I think about this novel, the more I try to think what Gu Long was trying to say with it. Is he saying that all the friendship and loyalty stuff is noble, or ridiculous. After all, Zhuo Donglai and Sima Chaoqun were steadfast friends...

And whatever differences Zhu Meng and Sima had, clearly they could have been resolved. If they had, maybe ALL of Zhu Meng's organiztion and friends wouldn't have been killed or lost....
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    That was a powerful bromance
    Lol. Don't worry, there's more drama to come.

Chapter 18: Heroes don’t die

Part 1

The second month, the twenty-seventh.

Outside of Chang’an, a wild, desolate mountain.

There was still some time left before daybreak. Heaven and earth were covered with a sheet of darkness.

In the light shooting forth from the scores of Kongming lanterns, the shadows of two people appeared like ghosts, accompanied by singing. One carried a pipa, the other a bamboo flute.

The shadows were indistinct, the singing plaintive. Even in one’s peripheral vision it could be seen that these two were the same two who had been at Chang’an Restaurant that night. It was the white-haired old blind man, accompanied by the heartbreakingly pitiful young blind girl.

Why would they have suddenly appeared here? Did someone make special arrangements for them to come sing their sad melody?

“Beautiful hair combed and wrapped into a bun, makeup lightly applied to the face; Dark blue smoke and purple fog cover the gracefulness, catkins and gossamer strands float by with no set destination.”

It is not until the silkworms die, that they stop producing strands of silk.
    It is not until the candles burn out, that they they cease to shed their tears.

The ardor and bravery in Zhu Meng’s face suddenly transformed into gossamer threads.

Because he had caught sight of someone.

Someone suddenly appeared from within the darkness, like the specter of a butterfly in a dream, her face covered with fine gauze, wearing a dancer’s outfit as sheer as a cicada’s wing.

The dancing outfit fluttered.

Zhu Meng shed no tears, because he had none.

Even his hot, righteous blood had run dry.

He knew it was not Die Wu, but her dancing had led him into the fantasy of a butterfly. It seemed to be real and not real. It seemed to be a fantasy and not a fantasy.

What was it: real or fantasy?

What if it was real? What if it was a fantasy? Life is so temporary, and emotions are so important; is there really a need to take things so seriously?

Let it go! Let everything go! Go with the butterfly. That is the best.

He knew that right now, anyone could draw a sword and lop off his head, but he didn’t care.

He was already prepared to give up everything.

But Sima Chaoqun wouldn’t allow him to. The song was still being sung, the dancer was still dancing. Sima Chaoqun pounced forward like a cat, ready to destroy the butterfly with its sharp claws.

The dancer did not try to flee, but instead stepped forward. She used an indescribably graceful dancing movement to move forward, sidestepping his attack. And then she suddenly whispered two words into his ear. No one could hear these two words, but everyone could see Sima Chaoqun’s reaction.

“Tong tong.”

These were the two words she had spoken. Two words that had no meaning at all.

“Tong tong.”

Anyone that heard these two words would have no reaction whatsoever. But to Sima Chaoqun, it seemed these two words were like lighting striking from mid-air.

In an instant, he became motionless. His limbs grew stiff, and his eyes filled with shock and dread. He took two involuntary steps backwards.

“Tong tong.”

The two words seemed to be some type of magical spell that in the twinkling of an eye had absorbed Sima Chaoqun’s soul.

How could this be?

Who was this unknown woman, this dancer who came from nowhere? How could these two seemingly completely meaningless word make Sima Chaoqun act in this way?

No one could offer an explanation. But, there was something else that anyone could see.

—Sima Chaoqun and Zhu Meng were finished. Their heads could be taken by anyone at any time.

The blind, white-haired old man could see nothing, but the sound of his playing already contained a feeling of desolation and harshness.

There suddenly existed an impermeable killing air. Even the lamplight seemed to have become pallid and wretched. It shone on the pale faces of Sima and Zhu Meng, as well as the sword gripped in the hand of Gongsun Baojian.

His sword would soon unsheathe, and a head would soon fall to the ground. Within the wretched lamplight there was a flash. Within the flickering lamplight suddenly shone forth a radiance even more tragic than what had shone before.

It shone for a moment and then was gone. A sword pierced a chest and then was gone.

The sword in Gongsun Baojian’s sword was still unsheathed. It had been knocked to the ground by another sword.

This new sword had not flown down from heaven, but had stabbed forth with a flying person.

The person and the sword had appeared so quickly, it was as if they were one entity.

Had the sword stabbed forth with the flying person? Or had the person flown forth with the stabbing sword?

No one could distinguish this point; no one could see clearly what had happened.

But everyone could clearly see the person.

At first sight, it appeared to be a young version of Sima Chaoqun; dashing, tall, elegant, powerful. He wore a colorful, well-tailored set of clothing, cut from the finest cloth. His eyes shone with confidence.

At first sight, no one could possibly recognize that this was the once down-and-out, nameless Jianghu swordsman, Gao Jianfei.
    Last edited by deathblade; 04-19-14 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Gongsun Baojian's SWORD was still unsheathed, not his hand.....; fixed grammar error

As we approach the end of this book I want to say thank you to everyone who has been reading along. Thank you to everyone who thanks me for each update. Thank you to everyone who provides commentary and fixes. Thank you to everyone who is just enjoying the translation. Thank you to all of you!

Chapter 18 has a total of 11 parts! So everyone can count down with me as we approach the end! No one is allowed to shed any tears in the process of reading this story! Also, no one is allowed to transform into a butterfly or shed blood!

This is going to be a gripping final chapter. I can feel all of us holding our breaths in eager anticipation ... but 11 parts! Thks deathblade.

Thanks - speedy translation as we near the end of the novel.

Thanks deathblade
    I am really enjoying your translation

Thanks, deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade ... gripping... catching up after a few days away

Chapter 18: Heroes don't die

Part 2

The music had stopped. The dancing had stopped. The dancer lay curled up on the ground, as if unwilling to lift her head to see the blood of the dead.

Little Gao held his unsheathed sword. There were no traces of blood on the long, beautiful sword, only tear stains.

Gongsun Qi’er stared amazedly at this person and his sword. Even though the rod in his hand was already held in a spear-like attack position, he was not brave enough to strike.

Zhu Meng and Sima Chaoqun still stood there dumbly, as if they hadn’t seen anything.

Gongsun Qi’er suddenly shouted, “Where is everyone? Are you all dead? Why don’t you come out?”

From beyond the lights came a soft voice: “You’re right. All your men are dead. The people holding the lanterns now are mine.”

A person stepped out casually from the darkness. He was dressed magnificently, with a violet marten coat. He held his hands clasped behind his back.

Gongsun Qi’er’s facial expression changed. “Zhuo Donglai. It’s you.”

“Yes. Of course it’s me,” he said casually. “Only I would be able to use your own methods to deal with you. Zhu Meng’s men are all dead, and so are yours. The method you planned to use to kill people, I use to kill you.” He smiled. “You should know that I always do things extremely fairly.”

Gongsun Qi’er suddenly shot forward. His long rod stabbed toward Zhuo Donglai’s face like a red phoenix.

The staff flew forward. But it had already left his hands. He flipped backwards, flying into the air like a sparrow hawk, fleeing from the light toward the unseeable darkness. His reaction was very fast, his ability to adapt to the situation quite formidable. It was the essence and accumulation of a lifetime of experience in martial arts.

But sadly he was just a little bit too slow.

As soon as his body flitted into the air, he saw the dazzling aura of a sword flying up like a rainbow. In an instant, it was in front of him, the shocking coldness of the aura so bright that he couldn’t open his eyes.

By the time he was able to open his eyes, he could not see the sword aura any more. All he could see was a sword hilt, protruding from his chest.

Even as his body collapsed to the ground like a stone, he stared at the short sword hilt in shock and terror. It was as if he couldn’t understand how a sword hilt could be protruding from his chest. And yet, he definitely knew where the blade of the sword was.

In his chest.

A flying sword, a deadly attack.

“Such a fast sword. Such a fast move!” Zhuo Donglai bowed and raised his clasped hands respectfully toward Little Gao. “Based merely on the might of this sword, you are already qualified to lead the Great Protection Agency.”

“Lead the Great Protection Agency?” It seemed has if Zhu Meng had just been pulled out of a dream. He slowly turned around, staring at Little Gao with eyes that seemed about to burst from his eye sockets.

“You lead the Great Protection Agency?”

Little Gao said nothing.

“Good. Very good, Gao Jianfei.” Zhu Meng laughed. “It seems you’re already gradually flying up.” (1)

His laughter cracked. “If you’ve come to take the head off my neck, then by all means take it.” Zhu Meng laughed hoarsely. “I’ve wanted to give it to you all this time. More than anyone else.”

Xiao Gao didn’t laugh, and seemed to have no reaction whatsoever. In these few days, he had trained himself to become like a rock. His face was devoid of even the slightest expression.

“Why are you here?” shouted Zhu Meng. “What are you waiting for?”

“I’m in no hurry,” said Little Gao calmly. “Why are you? If I’m willing to wait, so should you.” He suddenly turned and faced Sima Chaoqun. “You should be even more aware what I’m waiting for.”

A long time passed, and then Sima Chaoqun raised his head. It was as if this was his first time seeing Little Gao, as if he had already forgotten everything and everyone.

More time passed. Finally, in a very strange tone of voice, he asked Little Gao, “What are you waiting for?”

“I’m waiting to settle accounts with you.”

“Good. Very good.” His voice seemed to be filled with an unspeakable sadness. “It’s time to settle accounts. What people owe me, what I owe people, it must all be settled.”

“Considering your current situation, I shouldn’t force you to make a move,” said Little Gao coldly. “But when you defeated me last time, my situation wasn’t much better.”

Sima Chaoqun suddenly laughed.

“I never blamed you, there’s no reason to say so much.”

“Hold on,” Zhu Meng suddenly shouted. “Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten our agreement?”

Sima Chaoqun’s face sank. “You’d best step back a bit. This is between me and Gao Jianfei. If anyone get between us, I will be forced to end my life.”

Zhuo Donglai let out a soft sigh. “When heroes reach the end of the road, they are still heroes. Clan Leader Zhu, you also are a hero of the age. You should understand him. Why let the reputation of another hero be dragged into the dust?”

He didn’t cast another glance at Zhu Meng, but instead walked forward and pulled the sword out of Gongsun Qi’er’s chest.

There was no blood on the sword, only tear stains. He gripped the blade of the sword between his thumb and forefinger and handed it hilt-first to Gao Jianfei.”

“Your sword.”

Little Gao didn’t take it.

“I know it’s my sword. But I also know that he has no sword.”

“He doesn’t. But you do.”

Little Gao laughed. “Correct. He doesn’t, but I do. It seems that’s the current situation.”

Zhuo Donglai calmly said, “There are many things in the world that end up like this.”

“I understand,” said Little Gao. “I completely understand.”

He finally reached out and took the sword.

In this moment, the smile disappeared from his face, replaced by a murderous look.

In that moment, he stabbed forward with the sword.

The tip had been less than an inch from Zhuo Donglai’s chest, and was pointed straight at his heart. He had used his own hand to grip the blade and hand it over. This was a mistake that could not be made. People who made this type of mistake ended up dead.

Zhuo Donglai couldn’t be an exception.

Under these circumstances, he had no way to escape or defend himself.

Gao Jianfei had been waiting, waiting for just this type of opportunity.

His eyes were fixed on Zhuo Donglai’s face, because everything he had done had been in preparation for his split second.

The time when the tip of his sword would pierce Zhuo Donglai’s heart.

—In this split second, what was the expression on Zhuo Donglai’s face?

There was none. Because he had already predicted everything that could happen. His body moved backward.

The power of the sword did not cease, it continued to stab forward.

And he continued to move backward.

The sword was filled completely with power, with unceasing energy.

He continued to retreat.

The sword tip was still clasped between his two fingers, and was still the same distance from his chest.

Little Gao stopped.

His clothes were drenched in sweat.

Zhuo Donglai looked at him coldly. In an exceedingly warm and quiet voice, he said, “You really went to a lot of trouble this time. It took a lot of scheming to gain this opportunity, a lot of effort. You did very well. I really should let you kill me.”

There was no trace of sarcasm in his voice, because he was simply stating the facts.

“But you should know that killing someone like me isn’t an easy matter. I can’t let you succeed so easily. Otherwise, killing me would be meaningless.”

Gao Jianfei listened.

He only listened.

At the moment, everyone had no choice but to listen to Zhuo Donglai. Other than him, who was there that could say anything?

And then he said something that left everyone shocked.

“If you kill me, then your death is also certain. If your sword stabs me in the chest, then in that instant, your death is fixed. You might even die faster than me.”

Zhuo Donglai seldom told lies, but this time what he said was hard to believe.

Little Gao couldn’t hold back from asking: “You’re saying that if I stabbed you with my sword, my death would be faster than yours?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I know that in the world there are at least 5 types of hidden weapons that can truly seal the throat and kill someone in an instant. And there are at least three people in Jianghu who use those types of weapons.”

“Oh?”

“And the most important point of all is that I happen to know that one of those people is here, and one of those weapons is pointed straight at your back. If you stab me, it would be a very exciting moment, and you would be extremely proud of yourself. In that situation, it would be difficult for anyone to avoid being distracted. You’re no exception.”

This was a fact.

“At that moment when you were the most happy and proud, you would suddenly feel a prick on your back like the bite of an insect. Then you would fall down, and as you fell your heart would stop, and you would be dead.”

Cold sweat poured down Little Gao’s back.

Zhuo Donglai casually continued, “But you can relax. Because I’m not dead, and for the moment you don’t dare to make a move. Because that person is like me, never willing to do anything unless 100% confident of success.”

“Who is this person?”

“If you want to know who it is, then you first need to realize three things.”

“What three things?”

“First, how did the Gongsun brothers gain foreknowledge? How did they find out five days ago that there would be such huge changes in the Great Protection Agency? How did they arrive here so promptly? Second, this dancer, her face covered in gauze… where did she come from? Just now, Sima Chaoqun was going to kill her to protect Zhu Meng. Why did he suddenly retreat after hearing her say two words? Why did he suddenly change?”

Little Gao couldn’t figure out either of these two things.

“Actually, these two matters are actually one in the same,” he said, providing somewhat of a hint. “Similar to the way that some rooms have two doors, but one key to open them.”

Little Gao laughed bitterly. “Unfortunately, I don’t have the key. And I don’t know where to find it.”

“Keys are usually held by living people. Dead people don’t need keys. But as for this key,” he said cooly, “it wouldn’t hurt to look on the body of a dead person.”

“Which dead person?”

“The Gongsun brothers have no gift of foreknowledge. For them to arrive promptly was because someone asked them to come. But,” he asked, “who is it that, five days ago, could possibly predict that the thirty years of friendship between Sima and I would be destroyed in an instant?” He answered his own question. “Only one person. Our falling out was because of one person.”

“A dead person?”

“Yes. This person should be dead,” said Zhuo Donglai. “She knew that after she died, Sima would not let me go. Because when she was alive, she had already placed a poisoned dagger between Sima and I.”

Little Gao’s eyes suddenly flickered, and he asked, “A woman could disguise another woman as herself. But could she really fool her own husband?”

“If she was alive, she couldn’t,” said Zhuo Donglai. “But after a few days of death, the situation would be different. After a person has been dead for a few days, the muscles become twisted and hard. The facial features change. And if she hung herself, the changes would be even greater, more horrible. Anyone would be fooled.”

Little Gao sighed. “If someone returns home to find that his wife and children had all died tragic deaths, he would most likely be unable to see anything clearly.”

One word at a time, Zhuo Donglai asked, “And if he suddenly found out his wife wasn’t dead, how might he change?”

“He would probably become a completely different person.” Little Gao let out another long sigh. “But why? How could a women be so cruel? How could she do something like this?”

“In the world there are some types of people who will do anything. It doesn’t matter if the person is a man or woman. You don’t understand, because you aren’t that type of person.”

“And you?” Little Gao asked Zhuo Donglai. “Are you that type of person?”

“I am.”

(1) This is a play on words because his name “Jianfei” contains the characters “gradually” and “fly.” If you remember when he introduced himself a long time ago, he explained his name in this exact way.
    Last edited by deathblade; 04-21-14 at 05:13 AM. Reason: fixed mistake found by LuDongBin, fixed mistake found by ycb5959

I made a mistake in the translation of the last chapter. I incorrectly translated Sima Chaoqun as saying that he and Zhuo Donglai had been friends for a decade. It should have said that they were friends for decades. This this update, Zhuo specially mentions that they were friends for thirty years.

Thanks for the 1st of the 11 parts countdown!

Error:

“I know it’s my sword. But I also know that the has no sword.

Probably "that he has no sword"
    Last edited by ycb5959; 04-21-14 at 12:10 AM.