Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Wow, deathblade - next time save translation time and just give us one excellent synopsis like the one above!

Many thanks for such a succinct synopsis.You have focused on the relationship factor, a crucial factor in understanding the novel. Thks deathblade.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    The only logical explanation for this is that Zhuo Donglai was Grandmaster Xiao's son, and Xiao Leixue's brother (apparently by another woman, making them half-brothers.)

But, the only person who knew the details was the crippled old man in the courtyard. Since Zhuo Donglai killed him, there would be no way to ever know the truth. Xiao Leixue would not have let him die if he could know for sure that they were brothers. In the end, Zhou Donglai's own machinations proved to be his undoing.
    Aaahh.. that explains it!!! Thanks!!

Zhou Donglai is like the most bad-*** villain ever! I've read most Lu Xiaofeng novels (except book 5 which is still undergoing translation by foxs), Little Li Flying Dagger, all translated Fu Hongxue and Ye Kai novels, but so far this is still my favorite Gu Long novel ever!!

It is interesting to see main characters (protagonist or antagonist) who actually rely on skills other than their wu gong / kung fu. Zhou Donglai relied on his great analytical mind to plot schemes, Wei Xiaobao (Jin Yong's Deer & Cauldron) relied on his luck and fast mouth.

Thank you deathblade for your awesome translation work!!

I'm gonna read 7 Killers next.

Really glad you liked it! 7 Killers is much shorter, you'll get through it pretty quickly.

Actually I have some speculations and unanswered questions of my own.

1) Xiao Leixue said the weapon could kill Zhuo Donglai no matter who wielded it. It makes me wonder if he really had considered that Zhuo Donglai wouldn't try to grab it from Gao Jianfei. Did it have a secondary ability? I guess it's a moot point, but I'm still curious.

2) Couldnt it be possible that the twin brother Zhuo Donglai always dreamed of was actually Xiao Leixue? They could have been fraternal twins, with little physical resemblance.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

I think Xiao Leixue already calculated that Zhuo Donglai would grab the weapon because it appeared to be the anti-weapon to Tearstains. That is why he designed the flaw in it.

Didn't Zhuo Donglai say that he had killed his twin in the womb?

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Didn't Zhuo Donglai say that he had killed his twin in the womb?
    True, but he couldn't remember it. It theoretically could be a story told by his mother...

Deathblade,

I finally finished reading this story, thank you so much for translating it. Looking forward to reading your other works.

Jia you!
    Foxs

Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed it!

Just read it all in one sitting! I liked that the main character seemed more like it was Zhuo than Jianfei, since Zhuo was the only antagonist while the protagonist was really the three guys Sima/Zhu/Gao combined.

One question though since I did speedread a little, so I might have missed it, but why did the assassin break his contract and not even attempt to kill Gao? It seemed like he just let him go without a clear explanation. I feel like it's a mix of Zhuo being super scummy, Gao being a nice guy, and all that jazz, but isn't his word his bond for someone like him?

And why did he hate the crippled old man? From your explanation, that should be one of his father's disciples and they wouldn't have any enmity between them. At first I thought he was just angry that he was dead, but then it as said he hated him and would have killed him if he weren't already dead.
    Last edited by tape; 03-18-15 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Just read it all in one sitting! I liked that the main character seemed more like it was Zhuo than Jianfei, since Zhuo was the only antagonist while the protagonist was really the three guys Sima/Zhu/Gao combined.

One question though since I did speedread a little, so I might have missed it, but why did the assassin break his contract and not even attempt to kill Gao? It seemed like he just let him go without a clear explanation. I feel like it's a mix of Zhuo being super scummy, Gao being a nice guy, and all that jazz, but isn't his word his bond for someone like him?

And why did he hate the crippled old man? From your explanation, that should be one of his father's disciples and they wouldn't have any enmity between them. At first I thought he was just angry that he was dead, but then it as said he hated him and would have killed him if he weren't already dead.
    Actually I'm in the process right now of reading it through and editing it to post on wuxiaworld. I haven't gotten to the parts you're asking about, so I can't remember precisely the sequence of events.

I think he didn't kill Gao because he first wanted to confirm Zhuo's identity. And if I remember, there may have been some suspicion in his mind that Gao was his relative too.

As for why he hated the old man, I'm not sure. I'll check back in after I finish re-reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Actually I'm in the process right now of reading it through and editing it to post on wuxiaworld. I haven't gotten to the parts you're asking about, so I can't remember precisely the sequence of events.

I think he didn't kill Gao because he first wanted to confirm Zhuo's identity. And if I remember, there may have been some suspicion in his mind that Gao was his relative too.

As for why he hated the old man, I'm not sure. I'll check back in after I finish re-reading it.
    Cool, thanks. I re-read the part and I guess since the contract was technically only between him and the old man, since the old man was now dead, he no longer had an obligation to fulfill it. That's a somewhat common term of agreement for these assassin type contracts.

But yeah, I still can't come up for a reason for why he would hate the old man so much, unless him leaving to wander jianghu somehow indirectly caused the death of his father or something.

Oh and the only story arc that was kind of woah and out of place was Sima's wife coming out of nowhere. He neglected her okay...but there seemed to be a less batshit insane way of handling things than killing your own kids, faking your death, and still murdering him in the end, especially when you're having some sexytime of your own on the side anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Oh and the only story arc that was kind of woah and out of place was Sima's wife coming out of nowhere. He neglected her okay...but there seemed to be a less batshit insane way of handling things than killing your own kids, faking your death, and still murdering him in the end, especially when you're having some sexytime of your own on the side anyway.
    Haha. Well I think he was foreshadowing this from the very beginning, especially in the scene where she drinks with him. Once Zhuo Donglai played his hand and revealed he knew about her affair, she realized that she had no power left over him at all. She figured he would reveal the affair and then Sima would either kill her or kick her out. So she went crazy. Little did either of them know that Sima was aware all along. Melodramatic for sure, but this is wuxia we're talking about.

As for the old man, I'll see as I go through reading it myself, but I bet the reason the old man was crippled in the first place had something to do Xiao Leixue. He was the inheritor of Grandmaster Xue's martial arts, right? So they ended up clashing over Xiao Leixue's decision to become an assassin, maybe? Okay that's totally conjecture, but still...

One weird thing that is confusing (and I didn't point out in the original footnotes) is that there are two Gao Zhuangs. One Gao Zhuang was sent to Luoyang by Zhuo Donglai. But the other Gao Zhuang, the one who his wife was sleeping with, was supposedly killed at Red Flower Bazaar. But if you remember, Zhu Meng specifically says to Cleats that he thinks Zhuo Donglai would send Sun Ping, and not Gao Zhuang. Which he did. Zhu Meng killed Sun Ping at Red Flower Bazaar. But later, Wu Wan accuses Zhuo Donglai of sending Gao Zhuang there to die. And then after that, Little Gao recognizes Zhuo Qing as the "brother of Gao Zhuang who died at Red Flower Bazaar." I'm really confused by this. Not sure if it's a mistake by Gu Long, or if there's just an element of the story he left out because it was unnecessary, or what. If anybody else has read this story in Chinese and knows about this, please let me know.

Edit: I suppose it's possible that there are not two Gao Zhuangs, and that it's just a transcription or scanning mistake or something. But even if the two Gao Zhuang's are one, it doesn't explain why was killed at Red Market bazaar, or why Little Gao would recognize him.
    Last edited by deathblade; 03-19-15 at 05:05 AM.

Okay I just finished reading and editing the part where Xiao Leixue and Zhuo Donglai find the old man dead. When I went back to check something with the original Chinese, I realized I had made a big mistake and somehow mixed up the order of some of the sentences and it made it somewhat confusing when I read it. Here's the relevant passage, now edited and corrected:

“You can see that his internal qi skills were crippled?”

“Yes, I can.”

“You saw just now?”

“Yes.”

“But, I knew all along. I knew it many years ago.”

“Oh?”

“When he arrived here, his skill had already been crippled. That is why he came to live here in the first place. I’m sure you can imagine why.”

Xiao Leixue couldn’t argue.

Twenty years ago, the old man had not been old, and in Jianghu there were few who could match him.

He could roam under the heavens, flitting about like a cloud. Why else would he choose to hide here, residing under the roof of someone he detested, unless he had lost his inner power?

“He obviously wouldn’t think highly of someone like me, but he still came here. Because he knew there were some good things about me.”

“What good things?”

“I’m reliable. Very reliable. My character is reliable and my word is reliable.”

“Oh?”

“No one in Jianghu knew that his inner power had been lost. And no one knew he was staying here. My lips were sealed.”

This, Xiao Leixue couldn’t deny.

“Many in Jianghu sought after his life,” said Zhuo Donglai. “If I wanted to betray him, he would have been dead by another’s hand long ago. And if I personally had wanted to kill him, there would have been no need to wait until now.”

It seemed this was a fact as well.

“Also, he saved my life. So when he was in the most danger, he came to me. Do you think I would slay my own benefactor?”

“You would. Others wouldn’t kill their benefactor, but you would.”

Zhuo Donglai laughed bitterly.

“However, despite the fact that his power was lost, his mind remained,” said Xiao Leixue. “And inside it were inexhaustible precious deposits, buried treasures of knowledge, and secrets more valuable than any pearls or jewellery in the world.” He looked coldly at Zhuo Donglai. “You didn’t kill him before because he was useful to you.”

Zhuo Donglai said nothing. A period of time passed, and then he let out a long sigh. “Correct,” he admitted. “I killed him.”

Xiao Leixue’s fist clenched. It was the fist holding the box, the box that could kill anyone in the twinkling of an eye.

“Actually, he was very useful to me all this time.” Zhuo Donglai heaved a sigh. “But sadly, he reached the point where he could no longer be allowed to go on living.” He looked at the box in Xiao Leixue’s hand. “You’re prepared to make your move?”

“Yes.”

“Before you do, can you tell me one thing?”

“What thing?”

“Is the reason you’re going to kill me that you want to avenge his death?” Zhuo Donglai didn’t wait for Xiao Leixue to respond. He answered the question himself. “No, it’s not. It’s definitely not to avenge his death. I can see that you hated him, more than anyone in the world. If he was alive now you would kill him.”

“Correct,” admitted Xiao Leixue immediately. “If he wasn’t dead, I would kill him.” His voice was again hoarse with bitterness. “But before I made my move, I would have asked him something. Something that only he could tell me, a secret only he could explain.”

“What secret?”

“You don’t know what I wanted to ask?”

Zhuo Donglai responded, “What if I did know? Would you let me go?”

Xiao Leixue stared at him coldly, and didn’t say another word. He sighed.

“Unfortunately,” said Zhuo Donglai, “I don’t know. I really don’t.”

“That is unfortunate.”
    Also don't forget this part from earlier:

Xiao Leixue seemed to be satisfied with the situation, and so he finally asked the question he so wanted to ask.

“Twenty years ago, I signed an assassination contract with someone. You know about this?”
    So we know that Xiao Leixue made the contract with the old man 20 years ago, and that was the same year that the old man became crippled and went into hiding at Zhuo Donglai's. Coincidence? I think not. I don't think there's any more details in the story, but for me this info is enough to safely assume the events are connected. And I can imagine a host of scenarios in which Xiao Leixue injured him, yet was saved by him, but still hated him, and yet also felt he needed to honor the contract. (Haha, maybe I'll write a fan fiction explaining this!!)

As for why Xiao Leixue didn't kill Little Gao before going to visit the old man, it's clearly because he wanted the answer to his question first (and perhaps also because he suspected Zhuo Donglai forced the man to give him the contract, and as such wasn't completely valid?). As to why he didn't kill him after, well as you said, the old man had died and the contract was no longer valid.

Thank you very much😃