Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Thanks, deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks - fast update!

Edit: spotted an error

“And now I know why you didn’t kill Zhu Meng. You want him to live so that he can see with his own eyes the bitter lesson you’ve prepared. You want him to know how powerful you are.” He looked at Zhu Meng smiling. “You’ve always been this way. You just want people to be more and more frightened of you.”

Should be "Zhuo Donglai"
    Good catch. I fixed it.

Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Chapter 3: Surprise Attack

Part 2

When Gao Jianfei woke up, his hands and feet were almost frozen solid.

His cramped room at the cheap inn had a small brazier in it, but the charcoal had long since burned out.

He stood up in the bed and performed six or seven very strange movements, his body seemingly following his thoughts to twist and distort like a noodle. After he reached the eleventh position, his body was beginning to get warm, and by the time he finished, his spirit was roused, his face was glowing, and he was in a very happy mood.

He fully believed that today he would be able to find the person carrying the solitary box.

After leaving the teahouse last night, he’d seen the person three times. Once next to a small frozen brook, once at the foot of a hill, and once in a small dirty alley in Chang’an city.

He’d seen very clearly.

Even though up to now he hadn’t seen the person’s face, he had very clearly seen the his gray, cotton robe and the solitary brown, oxhide box.

Unfortunately, every time he caught sight of the man, he would disappear like air.

So he’d decided to cease his pursuit, and come back to sleep for a bit.

He’d come to the realization that this person wanted to meet him, too. Otherwise he wouldn’t have appeared three times.

The man was definitely feeling him out, testing his martial arts, getting a sense of his intentions.

Little Gao was convinced that even if he didn’t continue his pursuit, the man would show his face sooner or later.

It had stopped snowing, but the weather was even colder than before. Little Gao decided that he needed to eat some hot noodle soup.

Once he reached the little noodle shop he frequented, he saw the man with the solitary box. As expected.

It wasn’t lunch time yet, so there weren’t very many customers in the little noodle shop.

The person sat in the same corner Little Gao usually sat in, quietly eating a bowl of noodles, the same type of noodles Little Gao usually ate.

His box was sitting next to him. It was a flat, solitary box, about one foot wide and two feet long.

—What was inside this solitary box? How could such an ordinary box be the most fearsome weapon under heaven?

Little Gao wanted to dash forward and grab the box, then open it up and take a look.

But, he restrained himself.

No matter what happened, this time he would finally get to see the person’s face clearly.

It was a flat, waxen yellow face with a pair dull expressionless eyes and a listless air. This person looked as if they had been afflicted with some sort of serious disease for many years, and could pass away at any moment. (1)

Even though there were many open seats in the noodle shop, Little Gao summoned up his courage, walked forward, and sat down across from the person. He ordered a bowl of noodles, and then said, “I’m surnamed Gao, like from the expression “High Mountains and Flowing Waters. (2) My full name is Gao Jianfei. As in, I want to gradually fly up into the air.(3)”

The person had no reaction at all, as if they hadn’t even noticed someone had sat down in front of them.

The dark brown, oxhide box sat on the other side of the table. Little Gao could just reach out his hand and grab it.

If he really reached out and grabbed the box, then ran away, what would happen?

Little Gao wasn’t willing to try.

He was a courageous person, and there weren’t many things under heaven that he wouldn’t try.

But this seemingly sick, dying person seemed to have some sort of unfathomable power that made people incapable of making any move to annoy or encroach upon him.

Little Gao stared at him for a long time, then lowered his voice so that no one else could hear, and said, “I know who you are. I know that you killed Yang Jian.”

The person finally lifted their head and looked at him, his previously expressionless eyes suddenly flashing. It was as if lightning had suddenly fallen from a murky gray sky.

And yet after the lightning fell, there was no sound of thunder.

The listless expression returned. He slowly put some coins onto the table, lifted up the box, and left.

Little Gao followed.

Surprisingly, the person didn’t vanish like they had the previous three times.

He walked ahead, very slowly, as if afraid that Little Gao couldn’t keep up.

After walking for a long time, Little Gao suddenly realized that they had returned to the same little dirty alley as the night before.

There was nobody in the alley, which was actually a dead end.

Little Gao’s heart suddenly began to beat harder and harder.

—Could it be that because he knew the man’s secret, he’d brought him here to silence him using his mysterious box?

Little Gao didn’t know what kind of weapon this box was, and he didn’t know if he would be able to use the sword in his hand to defend against it.

And because of this lack of knowledge, his heart was filled with a kind of dread that he had never felt before.

But, it didn’t seem like the person was planning to kill him. He didn’t seem like he could kill anybody, actually.

He turned around and faced Little Gao. A long time passed. Then he spoke, with a mild, hoarse voice. “Do you know who I am?”

“No.”

“Before the 15th day of the lunar calendar, had you ever seen me.”

“No.”

“Do I look like someone who can kill people?”

“No.”

“Have you ever seen me kill anyone?”

“No.”

“Then why do you think I killed Yang Jian?”

“Because of your box,” said Little Gao. “I know that there’s a mysterious, fearsome weapon in it.”

The person stared at him.

Little Gao’s expression, bearing, posture, breath rate, the material of his clothing, the cloth-wrapped sword in his hand, every part of his person from top to bottom, was taken in by his gaze.

His gaze appeared to be more attentive than Zhuo Donglai’s, and the gray, expressionless eyes seemed to contain the ability to see any type of secret hidden weapon a person might be concealing.

He used the same mild, raspy voice to ask Little Gao, “You said your name is Gao Jianfei?”

“Yes.”

“Where are you from?”

“A mountain.”

“Was it a very high mountain? The place you lived, did it have a cool spring and an ancient pine tree?”

“Yes.”

“The clothes you’re wearing, are they made from hemp that you grew on the mountain and spun into cloth?”

“Yes.”

Little Gao was very surprised. This man seemed to know more about him than anyone.

“Was there an old man on this mountain who loved to drink tea?” he asked Little Gao. “He liked to sit underneath the ancient pine and make tea with the spring water?”

“Yes,” said Little Gao. “He was the one that told me about this solitary box.”

“And did he tell you about me?”

“No.”

He stared at Little Gao, his dark gray eyes flashing. “He never mentioned me? Not even one time?”

“Never. He just told me that the most fearsome weapon in the world is a solitary box.”

“Did you tell anyone else about this?”

“No.”

“Does anybody know about your past?”

“No. Zhuo Donglai tried to investigate my clothing. He thought he could figure out where I came from by analyzing the material. But he couldn’t figure out a thing.”

He had grown the hemp himself, weaved the cloth himself, sewn the clothing himself. The mountain was not a famous mountain, and other than he and the old man, no one had ever set foot on it.

Little Gao laughed. “Even though Zhuo Donglai has some amazing abilities, he couldn’t figure out anything about my past.”

“And your sword?” the person asked. “Has anyone seen your sword?”

“A few people.”

“A few people? What kind of people.”

“A few dead people. Everyone who has seen this sword of mine has ended up dying under it.”

“Is there something special about your sword?”

“There is.”

“What?”

“On the back of the blade are some strange marks. They look like exactly like tearstains.”

A strange and mysterious look suddenly filled the eyes of the person with the box.(4) The expression was indescribable, as if it was both filled with sorrow and happiness.

“Tearstains, tearstains,” he said quietly. “So it turns out this sword really does exist. Why does a killer’s sword have tearstains on it? Why does the world have a sword like this?”

Little Gao didn’t know how to answer.

It was a really strange question, and perhaps no one could provide an answer.

Little Gao couldn’t hold back from asking, “So, can you finally tell me who you are? How do you know so much about me?”

The person said nothing. He placed his thumb and first finger into his mouth, and a piercing sound rang out.

Little Gao suddenly heard the sound of carriage wheels and horse hooves.

He turned around and caught sight of a black horse and carriage, waiting just outside the dirty alley.

The man with the box walked over, opened the carriage door, and sat. Then he looked at Little Gao. “Are you getting in?”

—Where did this carriage come from?

Little Gao didn’t know.

—Where was the carriage going?

Little Gao didn’t know.

But he got in. Even if he knew that the carriage had come from hell, and would deliver him back to hell, he would still get it.

(1) The narrative literally says that it looked like the person had been sick with a disease for 17 or 18 years.
    (2) This is a Chinese idiom which contains the same character “Gao” as his surname. Here is a link if you’d like to learn more about it: http://goo.gl/05FtNo
    (3) The character from his name “jian” means “gradual” and “fei” means to fly.
    (4) As I’m sure most of you know, Chinese contains measure words for everything. Sometimes Gu Long uses the measure word for box to describe it specifically as ONE box. It’s in these situations that I’m describing it as the solitary box. Other times he leaves out the measure word and just describes it as a box.

Sorry for taking so long in this update, I was really busy the past week. But now I'm on vacation, and hopefully I will be able to bust out a lot more updates!

Happy CNY in advance!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Thanks- was wondering what happened to the update.

Happy Chinese New Year to all readers!

Thanks deathblade. Happy CNY.
    Last edited by Ysabelkid; 01-29-14 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks, deathblade.

“High Mountains and Flowing Waters":
    This is a moving story between two friends, Zhong Ziqi and Boya set during the time of the Chu Kingdom, Spring Autumn Period..

Boya was a qin virtuoso and was adept at playing two musical pieces - High Mountains and Flowing Waters. The story describes Ziqi as an ordinary woodcutter (probably a retired official in seclusion) who was able to discern the mood of Bo Ya as he played the qin while his boat was docked near a bay. When he played High Mountains, Ziqi remarked it sounded as grand as Mount Tai. When he played Flowing Waters, Ziqi said it sounded so pure and clear like a swift flowing river. After Ziqi died, Bo Ya broke the strings of his qin and swore he would never played again. He felt that in life it was difficult to find a bosom friend who understand you through your music. Ziqi was that bosom friend, so when Ziqi died, there was no reason to play the qin any more.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Ya

Thanks for the update, deathblade. 新年快乐.

Chapter 3: Surprise Attack

Part 3

The inside of the carriage was spacious, comfortable and luxurious. Its movement was extremely quick and stable; the four horses that pulled it, as well as the driver, had all received excellent training. The yoke and the carriage itself were extremely well constructed; even the stable of a wealthy nobleman wouldn’t have a carriage as fine as this.

How could this ordinary looking person, wearing homespun clothes, have such a resplendent carriage?

Little Gao had many questions he wanted to ask, but as soon as he entered the carriage, the man closed his eyes and fell fast asleep.

The mysterious box sat next to him.

Little Gao’s heart starting pounding again.

—What would happen if I just opened it and took a quick look? Even if I took a look and he noticed, it wouldn’t be a big deal.

The temptation was just too much, too much for anyone to resist.

Little Gao couldn’t hold back any more. He reached out his hand.

His hands were extremely dexterous, and had received extremely strict training. One time during a test, he had picked eleven locks crafted by different master craftsmen, all in a row.

Most people would have a hard time opening those locks even if they had the key, and all he’d used was a slender metal wire.

He quickly found the spring of the lock, and there was a “geng” sound as it was released.

The owner of the box was still sound asleep.

—What exactly was in the box? Why was it the most fearsome weapon in the world?

The secret would finally be revealed. Little Gao’s heart beat faster and faster.

Slowly and carefully, he opened the lid of the box. Inside were a set of strangely shaped metal tubes and pieces. There seemed to be about thirteen pieces, each one a different size and shape.

Unfortunately, Little Gao couldn’t see them all clearly.

When the box opened, he suddenly caught scent of a fragrance like that of jasmine.

And then he passed out.

End of Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    “High Mountains and Flowing Waters":
    This is a moving story between two friends, Zhong Ziqi and Boya set during the time of the Chu Kingdom, Spring Autumn Period..

Boya was a qin virtuoso and was adept at playing two musical pieces - High Mountains and Flowing Waters. The story describes Ziqi as an ordinary woodcutter (probably a retired official in seclusion) who was able to discern the mood of Bo Ya as he played the qin while his boat was docked near a bay. When he played High Mountains, Ziqi remarked it sounded as grand as Mount Tai. When he played Flowing Waters, Ziqi said it sounded so pure and clear like a swift flowing river. After Ziqi died, Bo Ya broke the strings of his qin and swore he would never played again. He felt that in life it was difficult to find a bosom friend who understand you through your music. Ziqi was that bosom friend, so when Ziqi died, there was no reason to play the qin any more.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Ya

Thanks for the update, deathblade. 新年快乐.
    Thanks, I was going to include more about this, but I was lazy .... I'll add it as a footnote later

Wow that was quick. Thanks deatblade. My pleasure ....

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Wow that was quick. ....
    +1.
    Deathblade is back with a vengeance! Thanks!

Thanks deathblade for a very quick update.

Chapter 4: An extraordinary person, an extraordinary place, extraordinary things

Part 1

The 18th day of the first month of the lunar calendar.

A place no one knew about.

How could a bunch of randomly shaped metal parts be the most fearsome weapon in the world?

Little Gao wasn’t completely conscious yet, but this question was still wrapped around his heart like a poisonous snake.

When he was finally completely conscious, he was frightened into silence by the sight in front of his eyes.

He suddenly realized that he was in a place that could only exist in the most bizarre dreamscape.

It seemed like a mountainside cave, but Little Gao couldn’t be sure. Whoever arrived here would have the same reaction as he, and be entranced.

He had never seen any place that had as many amazing and fascinating things.

Light emanating from multi-colored, Persian crystal lamps illuminated enormous, bizarrely shaped stalactites. The floor was covered with a hand-made, finely decorated rug, strange and beautiful. Hanging on four sets of wooden racks were many strange weapons. There were several that Little Gao had never seen before, some that he had never even heard.

There was also a piece of coral nearly nine feet tall, several elephant tusks about three feet long each, a horse carved from flawless white jade, a collection of various plants, fruits and vegetables made from jadeite and agate, and a huge golden Buddha from Siam, draped with strings of jewels, sparkling and shining, as large as lychees.(1)

Furthermore, on a large table were laid out jade and gold drinking vessels as well as crystal bottles, filled with fine alcohols from every corner of the earth.

Standing next to the soft bed Little Gao was laying on were four exceedingly beautiful women, wearing gauze gowns as diaphanous as cicada wings. They looked at Little Gao, giggling. One of the girls had blonde hair and blue eyes, skin whiter than snow, and a pure, innocent smile; another had skin as dark as puce, as supple-looking as satin, lithe and glossy, almost sparkling. Little Gao was completely entranced.

The weapons, the treasures, the beautiful women, all were things that normal people would never be able to see.

Could it be that this place was not in the mortal realm?

If this really was hell, who knows how many people in the world would be willing to go to hell?

(1) I’m substituting lychee for long’an. Both fruits are similar in size and shape, but long’an is not as commonly known among western audiences, I think.
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-29-14 at 11:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add "part 1"

Thanks deathblade for another very quick update.

Thank you very much indeed! Reading your translations is always a pleasure!

Lychees or longans, they are equally delicious and juicy, so was your update. Thanks.