Thread: Is it safe to send your kids to boarding school?

Default Is it safe to send your kids to boarding school?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Wow, so moving out of the family at the age of 10 to live with the in law family as EDUCATED AWAY FROM HOME?? I feel sorry for those boys. I can't imagine how many of them got molested/rape by their future wife family members. Back in the ancient time, Mongolians were considered as uncivilized barbarians so they had nothing to be proud of. Yes, they conquered a quarter of the globe but it was short lived. How powerful is Mongolia now? I would say pretty damn weak compare to other civilized societies.
    I was actually talking about the British and their boarding schools, which produced the officers that staffed their widespread empire. Seeing that you live in Canada, I'm fairly certain that you follow British mores rather more than you follow Confucian ones. If nothing else, given how you despise the barbaric Mongols, British culture and civilisation yields nothing in comparison with its Chinese counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    I was actually talking about the British and their boarding schools, which produced the officers that staffed their widespread empire. Seeing that you live in Canada, I'm fairly certain that you follow British mores rather more than you follow Confucian ones. If nothing else, given how you despise the barbaric Mongols, British culture and civilisation yields nothing in comparison with its Chinese counterpart.
    I have nothing against the British culture and I do acknowledge many positive aspect about them but sending children to a boarding school is something I wouldn't do. There are countless kids got raped/molested in boarding school. I do not want to put my kid in that situation. As for the mongols, they did not send their kid to boarding school but be a slave of his future wife family. Again, it's to risky. I don't want his future wife family members have a chance to put their hand on him. Who know if his future father in law is a child rapist. In western countries, most children do not attend boarding school. They go to regular school and come home every day. Boarding school and live with future wife family is not western way of life.

I have nothing against the British culture and I do acknowledge many positive aspect about them but sending children to a boarding school is something I wouldn't do. There are countless kids got raped/molested in boarding school. I do not want to put my kid in that situation. As for the mongols, they did not send their kid to boarding school but be a slave of his future wife family. Again, it's to risky. I don't want his future wife family members have a chance to put their hand on him. Who know if his future father in law is a child rapist. In western countries, most children do not attend boarding school. They go to regular school and come home every day. Boarding school and live with future wife family is not western way of life.
    Living with the future wife's family isn't the western way of life because the western world is mostly patriarchal, with more developed western societies having a state that replaces the patriarch. However, you claim that sending the child away is uncivilised rather goes against the point of British boarding schools, where sending the child away is part of the testing process that hardens them into men capable of administering the empire. Hence the apocryphal statement that the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.

Your rather narrow view of what is civilised and what is not civilised isn't backed up by a wide knowledge of civilisations and cultures throughout the world and throughout history. For instance, the most prolific conqueror in history, a man who spread his culture's civilisation across a vast area and many diverse peoples (his was a more diverse empire than Han China has ever ruled), famously went to school away from home. His civilisation was no less sophisticated either than that of the Chinese, nor his teacher any less reputable than any Chinese sage whom you'd care to name (he's certainly more relevant to the modern world than Confucius), nor his conduct any less civilised than any Chinese ruler in history. Thinking about it, the modern Chinese government would probably find more in common with him and his teacher than with Confucius and your beloved Confucian values.

pannonian, do you acknowledge that countless children who attended boarding school got molested/raped? While attending boarding school may help the children growing up more independent, but at the same time it's risky. Again, I wouldn't let my children go to boarding school.

pannonian, do you acknowledge that countless children who attended boarding school got molested/raped? While attending boarding school may help the children growing up more independent, but at the same time it's risky. Again, I wouldn't let my children go to boarding school.
    I have no idea what went on at boarding schools. However, I do know that boarding school was spcifically designed to produce men to run the British Empire. And I do know that the reigning British monarch enjoyed her time in the military so much that she sent her children to boarding school, with Charles being the first heir to the throne as far as anyone can remember to be educated with other hoi polloi rather than privately at home.

BTW, do you know whom I referred to in the example above, who was educated away from home and whose teacher was every bit the equal or more of any Chinese sage in history? Museums are dedicated to him thousands of miles from his home just because he'd passed through (eat your heart out Tang Taizong), while the modern Chinese government leans more towards his teacher than to Confucius.

I went to boarding school and never got molested or raped, nor did I ever molest or rape anyone. I never even heard of anyone in my school being raped or molested. On the other hand, I did hear of local national day schools at home with girls carrying unwanted pregnancies, boys being bullied and molested and general gangster violent culture prevailing. That is not to say that day schools are worse than boarding schools, just that it is fallacy to suggest that boarding schools are more susceptible to such things. If anything, knowing that they are responsible for the well-being of the students placed under their care tends to result in school staff being far more vigilant and sensitive to the needs of students, and they provide a much more family-oriented role than the teachers in day schools do. At least the decent ones do, but there are crappy boarding schools as well as day schools. It's the difference between a good school and a bad school, and the type of school is irrelevant.

Ian Liew, please read the following articles:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/a-hist...anada-1.702280
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=124035
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/boarding-school-syndrome
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/m...se-allegations

It's up to the parents to decide whether they want to send their kids to boarding school. It's not my decision to make. However, if I have children, I would never send my children to boarding school because I do not want to take such risk. Regarding the Mongolians sent their sons to live with their in law family, it wouldn't surprise me if countless of them got molested/raped by their in law family members and had to suffer in silence because it is shameful for them to speak out.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    BTW, do you know whom I referred to in the example above, who was educated away from home and whose teacher was every bit the equal or more of any Chinese sage in history? Museums are dedicated to him thousands of miles from his home just because he'd passed through (eat your heart out Tang Taizong), while the modern Chinese government leans more towards his teacher than to Confucius.
    Who are you talking about? While I acknowledge boarding school might help the children grow up faster as they have to be more independent, but it's a big risk to take.

Who are you talking about? While I acknowledge boarding school might help the children grow up faster as they have to be more independent, but it's a big risk to take.
    Since you live in Canada, you probably know people who were named after the head student, and you were probably taught in the manner of their teacher. Especially so if you took up the sciences.