Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Empress of China 《少女武则天》 - Fan Bingbing, Zhang Fengyi, Zhang Ting

SARFT wins once again...

Such a hassle to have to go back and crop all cleavage out. Now, we can no longer admire the glamorous costumes and only see the zoomed-in faces!

That's very disappointing. Even in the uncut version it is edited. Hopefully some people will put the DVD version on YouTube or something...

It's a cleavage issue and they solved it not by cutting out the bottoms but can just bring the image closer so the bottom of the frames would not show the cleavages.
    They did that with even past episodes that had already been shown and found in streaming sites.

It's pretty sad when the regime 1400 years ago (Tang dynasty) was more progressive and cosmopolitan than the current one.

That's really sad that they had to go back and edit the series. I really like it from ep1-18 when the cleavages r shown. You can see the full beautiful dress, but now it's only their faces. I don't think it is wrong to show the cleavage becuz that is TANG DYNASTY. Also, if u view it as art which the cleavage goes with the dress= beautiful. But after they re-edited the series, I don't have the same feeling as before. Before it was like "wow, so beautiful, etc", and now it is like "oh, beautiful, ok, etc." Hopefully the series will still gain alot of attention and rating like before.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    It's pretty sad when the regime 1400 years ago (Tang dynasty) was more progressive and cosmopolitan than the current one.
    That's the thing, nobody knows if it's accurate or not. I feel like this is more exaggerated because to me, it's hard to believe that Chinese women was ever so revealing with their outfits even if I am Chinese. To me, they were always very conservative...

I was skimming some of the later episodes, I believe it is from episode 17 onwards that they started editing. It's not that bad since it's not constantly in their face. There are still some long shots where the cleavage is not so obvious that you can see full body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
    That's the thing, nobody knows if it's accurate or not. I feel like this is more exaggerated because to me, it's hard to believe that Chinese women was ever so revealing with their outfits even if I am Chinese. To me, they were always very conservative...

I was skimming some of the later episodes, I believe it is from episode 17 onwards that they started editing. It's not that bad since it's not constantly in their face. There are still some long shots where the cleavage is not so obvious that you can see full body.
    They might be exaggerated a little, but it is known that there was topless dancing in those days. There are figurines from the period depicting it. The conservatism of Chinese dress really came about during the Song dynasty and the rekindling of Confucianism. The Tang was very open compared to other periods.

Even so, why complain about a little top boob? Most of the time I'm too captivated by Fan Bingbing to look lower than her face anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    They might be exaggerated a little, but it is known that there was topless dancing in those days. There are figurines from the period depicting it. The conservatism of Chinese dress really came about during the Song dynasty and the rekindling of Confucianism. The Tang was very open compared to other periods.

Even so, why complain about a little top boob? Most of the time I'm too captivated by Fan Bingbing to look lower than her face anyway.
    Who can complain because the (beautiful) actresses wear topless dresses? I think even women are interested in watching these ladies of the Tang dynasty. It's a shame they reedit the series and cut off the topless scenes.

I don't know about Chinese tradtions or conservatism but I do like the outfits in the show.

Fan Bingbing is cute. And I'm waiting to see topless Zhang Xinyu (or not???).
    Last edited by sonny4T; 01-04-15 at 09:04 AM.

Well they are powerful, they did "can" and then ask for renaming of the other drama .. remember Sigh as for progressive. I think it is definitely correct that the Tang period was very forward and indeed their costumes are much like that depicted except that push up bras did not exist then and so their looks of "pushing up the bosoms" to fill them out.. much like this current drama.. well did not really happen. If you look at chinese lingerie, er its seductive but they kind of don't actually support anything.. at least before the era of push ups! It is without a doubt that the drama was trying to use this as a "sell" point and even during the promotional period, this was "played up".

But clearly this sets the precedent that any drama can be pulled at any time for editing should the censors dislike it ... instead of just restricting it previously to "yet to be shown ones".

Clearly something like Game of Thrones will never ever be allowed entry ... legally anyhow

I just had a thought. What if they didn't just cut the cleavage, but certain "sexy" scenes as well?

A scene seems to be missing in episode 24. Did they cut out the spa scene with the Emperor and Wu Mei Niang?

I don't care one bit about historical accuracy or cleavage shots, but I'm more annoyed that they compromised their artistic integrity and basically rolled over for censors. I mean, the people who worked on this drama filmed it and edited it in a certain way, intended it to be watched a certain way. It likely took months to cut it all into a watchable story. Now they have to trash all that hard work cause of a couple complaints? That's so unfair!

So there's a bit of eye candy, who cares? One of the reasons people love ancient dramas is because of the costumes. If you're worried about the kids, then don't let them watch it! I mean... stories based on history, especially about the imperial harem, are usually bloody business, with murders and war and flying body parts! Send those little brats to their room! Or don't. I mean, your son liking tits isn't the worse thing that can happen to him...

Quote Originally Posted by MrWErD View Post
    I don't care one bit about historical accuracy or cleavage shots, but I'm more annoyed that they compromised their artistic integrity and basically rolled over for censors. I mean, the people who worked on this drama filmed it and edited it in a certain way, intended it to be watched a certain way. It likely took months to cut it all into a watchable story. Now they have to trash all that hard work cause of a couple complaints? That's so unfair!

So there's a bit of eye candy, who cares? One of the reasons people love ancient dramas is because of the costumes. If you're worried about the kids, then don't let them watch it! I mean... stories based on history, especially about the imperial harem, are usually bloody business, with murders and war and flying body parts! Send those little brats to their room! Or don't. I mean, your son liking tits isn't the worse thing that can happen to him...
    Of course the violence depicted in the show is fine, but not the cleavage. Like when that one girl spits blood on the mirror, or when Wu Ruyi is strangled, those were pretty intense scenes for a TV show.

I agree, all their hard work in cinematography and costumes are for naught. I believe a majority of the budget was spent on the many costumes, right? While I can't blame them for having to succumb to censors and re-edit the scenes, I really hope the DVD release will at least keep the original footage.

By the way, I find it even more frustrating that they decide at the last minute while it's airing to censor it. Did they not see the promo pictures and the trailers? Do they not submit at least a trailer to SARFT for it to be approved for airing?

Quote Originally Posted by allyxp View Post
    I just had a thought. What if they didn't just cut the cleavage, but certain "sexy" scenes as well?

A scene seems to be missing in episode 24. Did they cut out the spa scene with the Emperor and Wu Mei Niang?
    Yup they cut that scene out, even in the "uncut" version. It doesn't even come off as a sexy scene to me, more of a romantic one. Sucks that they had to cut it because the actors were showing some skin

Hello guys, has anyone found subs for this drama?

@Namie: Nope, I don't think there are any at the moment

It's sad that Xu Hui turns against Mei Niang like this and destroys her relationship with the Emperor.

So SARFT has a problem with the cleavages, but allows hints of homosexuality between the Crown Prince and his good "buddy"?

Also, I can't take this best-friend-betrays-main-character plotline. This is all so frustrating to watch...

I'm really pissed off with this whole SARFT thing, they just changed their minds after airing. For the series to have aired already must mean that it was approved by the SARFT so why would they go back on their approval and make the whole team re-edit an artistic product that they worked hard to piece together. Displaying the beauty of the outfits added to the entirety of this drama and made it worth watching because it was such a grand production. It's such a pity honestly for a little boobage that is not even much. The conservative culture and censorship of China these days really makes me shake my head.

And allyxp I am loving the little hints of homosexuality between the Crown prince and his bud It's refreshing to see in Chinese dramas! But as I see it, he tried to protect this guy because it reminded him of other buds/brothers he could not protect when he was a child. The current emperor is quite heartless & cold in regards to killing whoever to protect his 'jiang shan'.

It's frustrating to see Janine turn evil all of a sudden. I don't know why I don't think her acting is good at all even playing the innocent damsel in distress before the turn over :x Idk why I really don't think she fits into the Tang dynasty

I am surprised at the stupidity of Wu over this crown prince conspiracy. Where she went wrong was:

1. To put into words a conspiracy note to the crown prince. Any hint of a plot is automatically a death penalty. Also such serious case it should be personal verbal transmission rather than rely on a piece of paper passed by 3rd party.

2. After the conspiracy was exposed Wu never even suspected her good friend despite knowing she was framed. Only her friend actually saw what she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    I am surprised at the stupidity of Wu over this crown prince conspiracy. Where she went wrong was:

1. To put into words a conspiracy note to the crown prince. Any hint of a plot is automatically a death penalty. Also such serious case it should be personal verbal transmission rather than rely on a piece of paper passed by 3rd party.

2. After the conspiracy was exposed Wu never even suspected her good friend despite knowing she was framed. Only her friend actually saw what she wrote.
    I understand ur points but I also get why Wu Me Niang did that too. You will never doubt your best friend since you think she's good to u, etc. Also, Wu Me Niang doesn't have alot of palace experiments at this moment yet. It is the stage of being naive, and innocent. But I believe later she will learn how to not trust the people close to her and become more cruel.