Thread: Cross Culture

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Default Cross Culture

If you could have characters from other mythologies appear within Wuxia who would you choose?

It would be awesome if King Arthur crossed Excalibur with the First Emperor's Dragon's Descendent Sword.

Or have Merlin discuss magic with Zhuge Liang.

That was part of the draw of the anime series Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero, although I don't recall any Chinese mythological characters among the two sets of seven Servants. The only Oriental among them was Sasaki Kojiro, if I remember correctly. Arthur was a girl, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    That was part of the draw of the anime series Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero, although I don't recall any Chinese mythological characters among the two sets of seven Servants. The only Oriental among them was Sasaki Kojiro, if I remember correctly. Arthur was a girl, though...
    Strictly speaking, Fate/stay night was a visual novel that has been adapted into an anime (which seems more and more common these days...), while Fate/Zero was a light novel.

In Fate/Extra, you also had Li Shuwen (the Baji/Pigua fighter infamous for willfully killing/maiming his opponents) as Assassin, Lu Bu (best known from Romance of the Three Kingdoms) as Berserker, as well as the Buddha himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Strictly speaking, Fate/stay night was a visual novel that has been adapted into an anime (which seems more and more common these days...), while Fate/Zero was a light novel.

In Fate/Extra, you also had Li Shuwen (the Baji/Pigua fighter infamous for willfully killing/maiming his opponents) as Assassin, Lu Bu (best known from Romance of the Three Kingdoms) as Berserker, as well as the Buddha himself!
    Lu Bu? That must have been something! Sadly, my only exposure is to the anime.. none of those Light Novels, Visual Novels, etc seem to make it to the PC in English, and I don't own any of those handheld thingies. As a result, although I'd heard of Fate Extra (that's with Nero as Saber, right?), Hollow Ataraxia and Heaven's Feel etc, I don't know much about them...

I never really heard of Li Shuwen - if I had to pick a famous assassin from Chinese history to be Assassin I'd probably pick Jing Ke. What class was the Buddha himself? Or was he just a guest appearance/mediator kind of role?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Lu Bu? That must have been something! Sadly, my only exposure is to the anime.. none of those Light Novels, Visual Novels, etc seem to make it to the PC in English, and I don't own any of those handheld thingies. As a result, although I'd heard of Fate Extra (that's with Nero as Saber, right?), Hollow Ataraxia and Heaven's Feel etc, I don't know much about them...
    An English translation patch for Fate/stay night has been completed quite a while ago here. The base game on the PC is not hard to obtain either.

Fate/Zero is also translated here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    If you could have characters from other mythologies appear within Wuxia who would you choose?
    Ranma 1/2.. I wonder what wulin would make of the crazy martial arts and even crazier characters. =P

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer_gal View Post
    Ranma 1/2.. I wonder what wulin would make of the crazy martial arts and even crazier characters. =P
    Sorry, not familiar with who Ranma 1\2 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Sorry, not familiar with who Ranma 1\2 is.
    Oh, it's an old manga / anime about a teenage martial artist and his crazy life, with all sorts of wacky martial arts, including those involving tea ceremony, rhythm gymnastics, cheerleading, fine dining.. you get the idea. It's kind of like a spoof of martial arts stories, among other things. Also involves involuntary shapeshifting (the protagonist turns into a girl, hence the "1/2" in the title, and various characters turn into animals when hit with cold water), messed-up relationships, and other weird stuff.