Thread: Who enjoyed greater renown: Hero Gwok Jing or Divine Condor Hero (Yeung Gor)?

Default Who enjoyed greater renown: Hero Gwok Jing or Divine Condor Hero (Yeung Gor)?

By the end of ROCH, the Divine Condor Hero (Yeung Gor) had achieved fame performing acts of heroism nationwide while his uncle, Hero Gwok Jing, had defended Seung Yeung Fortress (and by extension, the entire nation) from the Mongol invaders for decades. Both heroes were renowned and beloved by the public, but which one had greater renown/fame?

I imagine Guo Jing. The common people knew him, while Yang Guo should still just be a jianghu figure.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I imagine Guo Jing. The common people knew him, while Yang Guo should still just be a jianghu figure.
    Agree. Another indicator would be HSDS. By that era YG was pretty much forgotten while GJ was still being quoted.

YG was more like the street legend while GJ was the official hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Agree. Another indicator would be HSDS. By that era YG was pretty much forgotten while GJ was still being quoted.
    Trying to recollect this aspect based on the latest HSDS. Yellow-dressed lady will have mentioned YG implicitly. Guo Xiang was mentioned by Miejue. Who mention GJ? Pardon me for my poor memory.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Trying to recollect this aspect based on the latest HSDS. Yellow-dressed lady will have mentioned YG implicitly. Guo Xiang was mentioned by Miejue. Who mention GJ? Pardon me for my poor memory.
    Z3F and XX (also Wuji) once mentions GJ in different part in the book..

Wudang 3rd hero and the guy who has the Dragon Sabre at the beginning of the story briefly talk about Yang Guo killing the Khan.

- when ZZR and Wuji chit-chat in that island
    - xie xun once cursed guo jing when he got mad
    - Zhou Zhiruo talked about guo xiang and guo jing when on that special boat (4 women + 2 men's boat )
    - Mo the 7th disciple talked about guo jing and guo xiang when zhang chuisan and yin so2 back to central plain
    - Miejue shitai told the story of emei sect to ZZR and mentioned Guo Jing's name
    - and a few others that i forget

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    - when ZZR and Wuji chit-chat in that island
    - xie xun once cursed guo jing when he got mad
    - Zhou Zhiruo talked about guo xiang and guo jing when on that special boat (4 women + 2 men's boat )
    - Mo the 7th disciple talked about guo jing and guo xiang when zhang chuisan and yin so2 back to central plain
    - Miejue shitai told the story of emei sect to ZZR and mentioned Guo Jing's name
    - and a few others that i forget
    Why ZZR keep talking about GJ? To remind ZWJ that ZM is a Mongol?

because Guo Jing is related to Emei's founder?

YG could have just save afew thousand people max, but GJ would have saved millions by defending Seung Yeung & a nation as a result.

How many died after Seung Yeung Fortress fell?

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    YG could have just save afew thousand people max, but GJ would have saved millions by defending Seung Yeung & a nation as a result.

How many died after Seung Yeung Fortress fell?
    Goodness knows, but it should be noted that by the time Kublai became the first Yuan Emperor, the period when the Mongols saw slaughter as a regular part of their conquest operations was already passe. Genghis was keen on it early on in his invasions, but by the later days, Yeh Lut Chor Choi had talked him out of it as needlessly wasteful (why slaughter the population when you could grow rich enslaving and taxing it?). The worst slaughters would have taken place during Genghis's day, and Kublai's approach was comparatively civilized.

Also GJ fought to the end giving up his life for his country.

Looking at another perspective. If YG hadn't seperate from XLN for 16 years. Would he had roam the country doing all those heroic deeds or would he had gone back to the tomb with her?

On the other hand GJ dedicated his life to protecting his country even though he had a family to look after.