Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Imperial Doctress 《女医明妃传》 - Wallace Huo, Liu Shi Shi, Huang Xuan
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial Doctress 《女医明妃传》 - Wallace Huo, Liu Shi Shi, Huang Xuan

Default The Imperial Doctress 《女医明妃传》 - Wallace Huo, Liu Shi Shi, Huang Xuan

Chinese version of Dae Jang Geum.

Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-30-14 at 11:36 PM.

I think Liu Shi Shi looks lovely in the 5th picture! The hairstyle in the other photos ages her though. Wallace Huo looks great!

Is it me or do some of the outfits look a bit Korean? *_*

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    Chinese version of Dae Jang Geum.

Interesting costumes, definitely gives off a Korean vibe to me. Though I quite like them, they look very neat and elegant on the actors. I can't wait for more photos! Would love to see Shi Shi and Wallace's chemistry

Some natural, funny poses for the photo shoot.

Opening ceremony pics.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 03-31-14 at 05:09 PM.

BTS

Series Synopsis:

Ming dynasty is a progressive nation, though fettered with strict cultural norms. Women have a low status and cannot practice medicine - a pernicious disease of society in dire need of a cure.

The Tan family is a family of physicians going back many generations. Some early ancestors were royal physicians. As a result of being framed by court evildoers and skirting the fate of familial extinction, henceforth, the family had one stern rule: descendants cannot practice medicine.

Tan Yun Xian is an intelligent and bright girl. Graced with keen hearing and observant eyes, Yun Xian secretly learns Chinese Medicine from her grandmother. She not only becomes a physician of the times with skilled hands and a benevolent heart, she also earns the cheers and support of the common people. Further, she lets shine a feminine spirit to save the world.

Because of this, Yun Xian faces many difficult obstacles on her journey to practice medicine. "Slings and arrows" of feudal standards and social prejudices attack her, but, Yun Xian overcomes them with her a passion and love for medicine.

Yun Xian absorbs all manner of medical wisdom, integrates different theories together, and ultimately creates her own unique system. In the process, she breaks through social restrictions, and establishes the role of a female physician.

From saving the body to saving the spirit, from saving the people to saving the country, Tan Yun Xian communicates the country's medical culture, to finally become a female physician of the ages, renown throughout the land.

I don't mind if it's an adaptation of Dae Jang Geum. As long as the story and characterization is good. I'd also be expecting some good chemistry with pros like Wallace and LSS.

I think LSS has come full circle. Her break out role in Young Yang Warriors was also a physician. I thought she did rather well as one.

When Wallace and LSS were a pair in Strange Hero, I thought the chemistry was there, but it seemed LGX was so deadpan at times that it almost felt one-sided for YSL. It will be interesting to see a different dynamic between Wallace and LSS.

This is petty, but I hope LSS gets so focused in her people saving duties that she makes Wallace work for their relationship .
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 04-01-14 at 07:48 AM.

I can't wait to see them acting together again! I totally agree with NuDaFu, they had good chemistry but also untapped potential. I've lost count of the number of times LSS has dressed in male costumes, haha. This series sounds really promising.

Also, to the poster who said that the costumes look Korean, I actually think they look very accurately Chinese. If anyone knows more about Ancient Chinese dress, feel free to correct me.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 04-01-14 at 04:01 PM.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Quote Originally Posted by tang_yuan View Post
    Interesting costumes, definitely gives off a Korean vibe to me. Though I quite like them, they look very neat and elegant on the actors. I can't wait for more photos! Would love to see Shi Shi and Wallace's chemistry
    Quote Originally Posted by happie View Post
    I think Liu Shi Shi looks lovely in the 5th picture! The hairstyle in the other photos ages her though. Wallace Huo looks great!

Is it me or do some of the outfits look a bit Korean? *_*
    Due to the popularity of the Korean dramas, particularly Dae Jang Geum, the Joseon Dynasty "hanbok" became closely associated with Korean national identity. But let's not forget that Joseon Dynasty style of dress was HEAVILY influenced by Ming Dynasty fashion. The reasons why Korean "hanbok" survived to modern times was due to the relative stability of the Joseon Dynasty, which lasted over 500 years until late 19th century. In contrast, China experienced some pretty violent political upheavals including the dynastic transition between Ming and Qing Dynasties.

When the Manchus took over China in 1644, Prince Dorgon placed a draconian order to persecute any Han Chinese who refused to abandon the Ming dress for the Qing queue and robes. He was extremely anti-Han and wanted to obliterate all traces of Ming culture. Of course, one of the first thing to go was Ming clothing. If you kept clothing associated with the previous ruling class, the Qing government would most likely labeled you as a rebel and charged you of treason. Consequently, Chinese "traditional" dress nowadays are more of a product from Qing Dynasty influence than Ming Dynasty style. We have lost much of the clothing relics from the Ming Dynasty due to these political purges. The Ming Dynasty garments that do survive till modern times are discovered in tombs from prominent Han Chinese families like the Kong (descendants of Confucius) which the Manchus left untouched.

I wrote a brief post on Joseon and Ming relationship on my blog and touched briefly on the similarity between their costumes.

http://jolecole.blogspot.com/2014/03...cial.html#more

Many Chinese ancient dramas in the past have done a really crappy job in being historically accurate.

Emperors and officials wore black hats during the Ming Dynasty. Golden hats are for dead people!! Prior to Qing Dynasty, most imperial Chinese emperors did not wear golden yellow from head to toe.

ALL HISTORICALLY INACCURATE COSTUMES:

Real paintings and garments from the Ming Dyansty

Reenactment actor
    Last edited by JoleCole; 04-02-14 at 12:08 AM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Due to the popularity of the Korean dramas, particularly Dae Jang Geum, the Joseon Dynasty "hanbok" became closely associated with Korean national identity. But let's not forget that Joseon Dynasty style of dress was HEAVILY influenced by Ming Dynasty fashion. The reasons why Korean "hanbok" survived to modern times was due to the relative stability of the Joseon Dynasty, which lasted over 500 years until late 19th century. In contrast, China experienced some pretty violent political upheavals including the dynastic transition between Ming and Qing Dynasties.

Sorry to cut your post short, didn't want to stretch the page too much ^^;

Thank you for your informative post! I actually did have some prior knowledge about heavy Chinese influence on Korea back then but I wasn't thinking too much when I made my previous post so I apologize if I came off sounding ignorant.

BTW love your blog! I discovered it last year while looking up Da Mo Yao and really loved reading your post about it. I'll definitely give your post a read later

Quote Originally Posted by tang_yuan View Post
    Sorry to cut your post short, didn't want to stretch the page too much ^^;

Thank you for your informative post! I actually did have some prior knowledge about heavy Chinese influence on Korea back then but I wasn't thinking too much when I made my previous post so I apologize if I came off sounding ignorant.

BTW love your blog! I discovered it last year while looking up Da Mo Yao and really loved reading your post about it. I'll definitely give your post a read later

Ooh I take back my comment about the clothes looking a little korean! Just visited the Tieba for The Imperial Doctress and gained a whole lot of knowledge on Ming Dynasty costumes. *_* It seems that Tangren spent a lot of time and effort (as usual) on making sure that the costumes are historically accurate.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2956854240 Here's the link if anyone's interested in learning more about Chinese history and dressing.

I'm loving Tangren's meticulousness and care, just like what they have done for so many of their dramas.

Thanks JoleCole! That is really interesting about the costumes. I admire your efforts of researching the topic.

There's also a clue in the language too: 'hanbok' meaning 'han costume'. Quite close to Mandarin phonetics 'han fu'.

I would also love to recap this series - if they do actually deliver with the promises of addressing themes like medicine, gender equality, and socio-cultural issues. I mean, even just for my username .

^Don't take my word for this, but I always thought the "han" in "hanbok" is the one that refers to Korean people (second tone in Mandarin) rather than the one that refers to Chinese people (fourth tone in Mandarin). "hanfu" is definitely "Chinese dress" but I think the "han" in "hanbok" means "Korean". Like the call their country "hanja" (or "han guo" in Chinese).
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Whoops, Dragon Heiress is correct. That's what you get with being lazy with tones :P. I think I over assumed with Korean capital city being named 'Han Cheng'.

Thanks JoleCole! Excellent blog post

my bf with a head band lol

Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 05-13-14 at 08:16 PM.