Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Ode to Gallantry 《侠客行》 - Cai Yida, Zhang Jiani, Li Jingyang

  1. #121
    Senior Member loislane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Thanks.
    OT: There was some speculation or is it hope that Felix will be H7G in LOCH2017.
    That and I was hoping for Kent Tong to be casted as Ouyang Feng, he would totally nail that role like its nobody else's business. Sorry OOT!

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    just watched ep1-2 ,

    i have a question,
    what martial arts did shi zhongyu learn? i know its derivered from his parents twin blade black-white (or whatever their nickname), but what martial arts is it? from Wu Dang Sect?

  3. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Took advantage of happy hour that allowed me to download three episodes at the same time. As a consequence, I was able to binge watch the HD eps on my crystal clear retina-like tablet all the way to the end. But it doesn't mean I fast forwarded any part during the binge. I watched every single scene, sometimes even replaying certain parts.

    Here's my review having finished the drama:

    This is a top notch Jin Yong production. My favorite two scenes were SZY's girl did the cliff climb and the battle between two YeYe's (grandpa's) aboard the ship. Not so much coz the scene or setting were interesting, but the inventive way the screen writer brought about those circumstances merely by placing the right characters at the right place. The other thing I like it doesn't really have a bad guy, the main baddie was merely possessed by the dark side, not coz he was inherently evil.

    (Speaking of Dark Side, did you know that STAR WARS actually came from Jin Yong's work? My thesis is after USA lost/got stalemated by China during the Korean war, USA got jealous and wanted to know how a country that didn't even have their own airplanes at that time managed to completely own the 16 Western allies. Thus began their crave to know the Han Chinese inside out and their discovery of Jin Yong's work. Which is why Ode to Gallantry 2017 successfully demonstrated how a certain character was lured to the Dark Side and became a Sith Lord...)

    The other part is Jin Yong's works are almost the equiv of the Bible of the West. My fav JY work is ROCH coz the Bible said (for when I am weak then am I strong). YG got his arm chopped off coz to make him the weakest (then he became the strongest). OTOH, Ode to Gallantry was to illustrate another saying from the Bible (to confound men, beggars will be made Kings [or wuxia champs] among us). I also like the weird metaphysical sh1t, in a good way, that took place in the cave with martial arts drawings.

    The only complain I have is Ode to Gallantry would make for a better high budget movie. Not saying that this drama was bad, only it could be better. And it's the exact right length for a movie adaptation too...


    Overall rating (my scale):

    23.0/10 - A great ROCH adaptation
    18.5/10 - Ode to Gallantry (2017)
    18.0/10 - Fighter of the Destiny
    17.5/10 - Nirvana in Fire
    16.0/10 - A good ROCH adaptation
    12.0/10 - Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn movie in 3D
    12.0/10 - Three Lives, Three Worlds TV drama
    9.0/10 - Candle in the Tomb
    7.0/10 - Ice Fantasy
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-19-17 at 08:09 PM.

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    just watched ep1-2 ,

    i have a question,
    what martial arts did shi zhongyu learn? i know its derivered from his parents twin blade black-white (or whatever their nickname), but what martial arts is it? from Wu Dang Sect?
    While I am not sure whether his parents taught him any martial arts, Shi Zhongyu's skills should be from Snowy Mountain Sect.

  5. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    While I am not sure whether his parents taught him any martial arts, Shi Zhongyu's skills should be from Snowy Mountain Sect.
    just watched until 10 episodes , looks like yes shi zhongyu's father is from wu dang sect originally,
    so high probability what he learned from his father was wudang sect martial arts , his parents said to master bai (zhongyu teacher)
    that they tought him martial arts because zhongyu health was very weak when he was kid.
    zhongyu use this martial arts to beat fellow xueshan sect when sparring in episode 1.

    they didnt send zhongyu to wudang sect because afraid that Mei would come to take their other kid

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    just watched until 10 episodes , looks like yes shi zhongyu's father is from wu dang sect originally,
    so high probability what he learned from his father was wudang sect martial arts , his parents said to master bai (zhongyu teacher)
    that they tought him martial arts because zhongyu health was very weak when he was kid.
    zhongyu use this martial arts to beat fellow xueshan sect when sparring in episode 1.

    they didnt send zhongyu to wudang sect because afraid that Mei would come to take their other kid
    Thanks for the information.

  7. #127
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Am I right to say that Shi Zhongyu's parents (Shi Qin and Min Rou) are both from Wudang?
    How's about the woman who like Shi Zhongyu's father (Mei Fanggu)?

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Am I right to say that Shi Zhongyu's parents (Shi Qin and Min Rou) are both from Wudang?
    How's about the woman who like Shi Zhongyu's father (Mei Fanggu)?
    i dont know chinese language , so i watched a version that using google translate as sub , lolz

    but CMIIW...

    from what i understand, Shi Qin definitely was from WuDang,
    but his wife ... i dont know, yes they practice together in WuDang mountain , but as far as i know, Wu Dang sect never accept woman as discipline right? (its why Zhang shanfeng sent ZZR to Emei) , so.... ??

    Shi Zhongyu called Min Rou "younger sister" or "Xiong Mei" in both novel and tv series i believe

    for Mei Fanggu, she was not from any sect (as said by Ding Busi in the novel, i read the translation in this forum). in this 2017 tv series, her mother Mei Wenxin was said from Emei sect , i forget what episode it was mentioned.
    it's said that one day mei fanggu left her mother and disappear suddenly, probably falling in love with Shi Qin and training martial arts with him.
    so high probability her martial art is from her mother and made her stronger than shi qin and min rou.
    Her famous martial art is Plum Blossom Fist .

    looks like this tv series had a little different story than the novel version, nearly the end of novel, shi po tian didnt meet and fight Bei Haishe, but in tv series, Bei Haishe somehow learnt Jiu Yang and very strong, its not an easy fight for shi po tian.
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 08-31-17 at 10:37 AM.

  9. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    52

    Smile

    Just reading through some of you guys comments from the new Yi Tian Tu Long Ji and re-watching some episodes. I too have concerns for how they perform the martial arts now compared to some of the older generation series.

    Take for example in the Ode to Gallantry 2003 version, although they don't have great looking actor/actress like the new Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min Princess, they actually got some professional martial artists to guide them.

    Look at this beautiful martial art battle between Shi Po Tian and his Wu Dang elders.



    What do you guys think in the future making of whatever ancient martial art drama series, they would looks more into getting martial arts professional rather than using too much CGI to make the battle scenes?

  10. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GazingStar5 View Post
    Just reading through some of you guys comments from the new Yi Tian Tu Long Ji and re-watching some episodes. I too have concerns for how they perform the martial arts now compared to some of the older generation series.

    Take for example in the Ode to Gallantry 2003 version, although they don't have great looking actor/actress like the new Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min Princess, they actually got some professional martial artists to guide them.

    Look at this beautiful martial art battle between Shi Po Tian and his Wu Dang elders.



    What do you guys think in the future making of whatever ancient martial art drama series, they would looks more into getting martial arts professional rather than using too much CGI to make the battle scenes?
    nice fighting choreography .
    btw, that 2003 version is also use Wudang? because a new revision novel already change it to Shanqing sect

Similar Threads

  1. Is that a translation for "连城诀" and "侠客行"?
    By tianzuo in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-08, 10:05 PM
  2. Hap Hak Hang 俠客行
    By ahyoing in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-10-08, 01:16 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-02-06, 01:58 PM
  4. Ode To Gallantry Poem
    By CFT in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-04, 09:02 PM
  5. more Ode to Gallantry pondering
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-04, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •