Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Gallantry 《侠客行》 - Cai Yida, Zhang Jiani, Li Jingyang

What? 3 years stall?

What? 3 years stall because he had to pay compensation money to his ex wife? He has no cash so he had to give away rights to his 3 completed series? @_@

Okay so what about these other 2 series? Are they also Jin Yong adaptations? Cause 3 years ago he said he would shoot The Book and The Sword... and also other Jin Yong books he had not make yet.

Thank you for info,btw!
    Last edited by loislane; 07-23-17 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    What? 3 years stall because he had to pay compensation money to his ex wife? He has no cash so he had to give away rights to his 3 completed series? @_@

Okay so what about these other 2 series? Are they also Jin Yong adaptations? Cause 3 years ago he said he would shoot The Book and The Sword... and also other Jin Yong books he had not make yet.

Thank you for info,btw!
    if i recall correctly, they are : The Book and The Sword, Young fox, and flying fox of the snowy mountain . and these 3 are related, so it's like trilogy condor heroes . it should be cool if they use a same actor/actress for members of iron flower society (or red flower society)

I thought it looks pretty good !! Looking forward!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWRFj_wmKk

iQiyi posted three more videos that aren't posted here. I took the liberty to download the bunch and upload 'em to my Drive:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...lAyYmZWSFhHOU0

watching it live on cctv8. they just played a LOCH OST

I just watched the first episode, and must say that I was taken aback by the bad green screen and set and rather horrendous styling (hair and clothing). Rather than a wuxia drama it should be, the drama looks like a cheap xianxia, which is a shame since this was produced by Zhang Jizhong. I know it's been shelved quite long due to ZJZ's divorce process, but really, it shouldn't be an excuse to the underwhelming production quality. Even more so because 2017 was opened by LOCH, which, against many low expectation beforehand, came out as a well-done production and did justice to the original source.

On the other hand, the musical score and the acting are pretty good. Pacing is OK. The music is reminiscent of the good ole TVB days. So, I will see until a few more episodes before deciding whether to continue or drop it.

Anyone can provide the link to the episodes? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Anyone can provide the link to the episodes? Thanks in advance.
    Try this. http://cn.lovetvshow.info/2017/07/od...ntry-list.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    I just watched the first episode, and must say that I was taken aback by the bad green screen and set and rather horrendous styling (hair and clothing). Rather than a wuxia drama it should be, the drama looks like a cheap xianxia, which is a shame since this was produced by Zhang Jizhong. I know it's been shelved quite long due to ZJZ's divorce process, but really, it shouldn't be an excuse to the underwhelming production quality. Even more so because 2017 was opened by LOCH, which, against many low expectation beforehand, came out as a well-done production and did justice to the original source.

On the other hand, the musical score and the acting are pretty good. Pacing is OK. The music is reminiscent of the good ole TVB days. So, I will see until a few more episodes before deciding whether to continue or drop it.
    ZJZ productions had always been like that. The fights are generally good, but the overall quality is not suitable for international release. Same with YZ productions. I've always wanted to see ZJZ take quality cues from recent productions like Nirvana in Fire, but I guess this drama isn't one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    Thanks. Watched Ep 1. Quite interesting though there are some parts which I cannot understand. Possibly due to the first time watching this series.

May I know:
    1. total number of episodes
    2. number of episodes per week?
    Last edited by wkeej; 07-07-17 at 11:40 PM.

32 episodes in total, not sure how many per week but there are 3 episodes today and 2 tomorrow on CCTV 8.

Wink

What do you guys think of the making of this?

The producer sure put a lot into this huh?

Banned

Just finished previewing the 1st ep on YT. Don't know where the complaints of bad green screen comes from. This is by far the best ZJZ production in terms of quality. The best things about his productions are he doesn't make ppl have plasticky looking faces, and their clothes reflect a gritty realism. IMO, ZJZ is the only one who could do justice to JY's works, and this drama is the epitome of that (so far).

Gonna rewatch in 2GB/episode 1080p version on my retina-like tablet... since I despise YT vids, even the so called HD ones and only previewed the 1st ep there b/c of the green screen complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Just finished previewing the 1st ep on YT. Don't know where the complaints of bad green screen comes from. This is by far the best ZJZ production in terms of quality. The best things about his productions are he doesn't make ppl have plasticky looking faces, and their clothes reflect a gritty realism. IMO, ZJZ is the only one who could do justice to JY's works, and this drama is the epitome of that (so far).
    Totally agree with you. I just watched Ep1 and half of Ep2, and whoaaa... that fight scene in Ep2 opening! Awesome! Zhao Jian is really the best choreographer, I'm so glad he is still a part of ZJZ's team. I did not realize how much I missed ZJZ's fight scenes till I see it.
    Cast, costume, location, scenery are generally good and enjoyable to watch. I really like the actresses for A Xiu and Ding Dang, they are naturally very pretty. You are right, dunno why other actresses in other wuxia series looked like they have a pretty plastic face. I love the natural makeups in ZJZ's productions. Ep1 was a bit draggy since the first 40 mins wasn't in the novel. 40th minute finally started with the first page of the novel. But it was okay. Overall, it has very similar vibe with HSDS2009.

Seems like Shi Zhongyu is not a criminal in this adaptation, they probably have to tone down the character. I'm pretty sure SZY tried to rape Axiu in the novel, but my memory might fail me.

My most favorite ZJZ production is still Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 2001 and I have given up the hope that we will get anything like that ever again from Zhang Jizhong. But this one is good enough for me.
    Last edited by loislane; 07-23-17 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    Seems like Shi Zhongyu is not a criminal in this adaptation, they probably have to tone down the character. I'm pretty sure SZY tried to rape Axiu in the novel, but my memory might fail me.
    if i recall correctly, in the original novel he tied a'xiu up and stripped her naked, and when two maids came in he killed them or injured them heavily.

Episode ratings:

Episode 1:
    - nothing from the original novel, really
    - extremely harsh cuts between the snowy mountain and the green summer landscape that seemed rather unrealistic
    - plot of ep 1 was not really that interesting.
    - no funny scenes apart from maybe the a'xiu szy interaction
    - ok introduction of szy
    - nice portrayal of shi zhongyu as a 2014 yang guo type of character
    - no scenes that made me go 'wow'
    Episode 1 for me is a 4/10

Episode 2:
    - funny
    - great fighting
    - great guozazhong stuff
    Episode 2 is 8/10

Episode 3:
    - nice SPT/xie yanke interaction
    - really like this version of hua wanzi
    - some lengths in the middle, too much focus on bai zizai's loss etc.
    - some funny scenes
    Episode 3 is a 6/10

Episode 4:
    - great and hilarious ding dang/ding busan stuff
    - good interaction between ding dang and shi zhongyu
    - repetition of the LOCH17 YK/MNC scene with reversed gender roles
    - too many of flashbacks to stuff that happened 20 seconds ago in a row in that scene
    I see Episode 4 as a 7/10.

not gonna write about 5 or 6 since i only watched them once.

what would be your rating of the episodes?

Watched six episodes. So far so good. Enjoyed it as it is not too draggy.

Each week six episodes??

Not sure about earlier series as this is my first time watching this series. Something to improve: why are the two guards outside the Changle chief's room expressionless? They should have noticed that there are two "different" chiefs.

I really "pitied" the maid. But she is a very good actress. I remember her as the "princess" who is supposed to be "engaged" to DY in the opening episode.

Anyone can tell me why the need for zhang 3 and li 4 to take their "poisoned" wine every now and then?