Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Gallantry 《侠客行》 - Cai Yida, Zhang Jiani, Li Jingyang

I must admit that Ep 11-20 is a drag. There is no need for the messengers to keep visiting the different sects and grandma to keep visiting her ex-admirers.
    To me, there are two main events in these episodes:
    1. Shi Potian becoming sworn brother with the messengers.
    2. The twins meeting each other.

Something which is illogical to date is that why there is no attempt to find out Shi Potian's other mum. That's a very logical thing to do as it will solve the mystery of the Shi twins easily. Hopefully, they do not spend Ep 22-30 finding the other mum and the last ten episodes about the Hero's island.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I must admit that Ep 11-20 is a drag. There is no need for the messengers to keep visiting the different sects and grandma to keep visiting her ex-admirers.
    To me, there are two main events in these episodes:
    1. Shi Potian becoming sworn brother with the messengers.
    2. The twins meeting each other.

Something which is illogical to date is that why there is no attempt to find out Shi Potian's other mum. That's a very logical thing to do as it will solve the mystery of the Shi twins easily. Hopefully, they do not spend Ep 22-30 finding the other mum and the last ten episodes about the Hero's island.
    I think you're wrong because OTG has only 32 ep

Quote Originally Posted by reydge View Post
    I think you're wrong because OTG has only 32 ep
    Thanks for the update. The series is going very fast. It's already moving fast. Only two weeks and it's now episode 24.
    Last edited by wkeej; 07-16-17 at 04:02 AM.

I haven't caught up with the series since episode 2. I wasn't that impressed with them, but I do plan to continue. Meanwhile, this drama looks to be under the radar, yet the number of online views for the past week isn't too shabby -- 245 millions.

https://cdramabase.com/2017/07/17/on...17/#more-10081

Due to work situation, I could only follow another drama at the moment, but will soon try to catch up with this and Advisors' Alliance. It will be a little harder for Ode to Gallantry, due to the lack of English sub, and I'm not familiar with the story, unlike the Condor Trilogy. Advisors Alliance is being subbed, though at a snail pace.

I have reverse opinion. I think Ep1-9 was draggy and pace did not pick up until Ep10 when Shi Potian was finally kidnapped by Changle sect and mistook as Shi Zhongyu. This is also when SPT's arc to become #1 martial artist in wulin world finally start.

They made Shi Zhongyu as the main character for Ep1-9 and Shi Potian as main character for Ep10 onwards. But I do not get SZY's arc... he does not really have an arc... he is absolutely not progressing as a character. If they want to give SZY spotlight for the first 9 eps, at least give him an arc, a purpose as a character. The lack of purpose of this character made the first 9 eps very draggy. Well.. if you want to count his romance with Ding Dang as a part of his arc... err....

Other than that, Ep10 onwards is quite exciting for me, as it feels like the martial arts story finally kicks in. Two thumbs up for the double match between Potian-Axiu vs Shi couple in Ep16... whoa, loved it so much!! When Potian pushed them away through the side of his sword and how they were blown away backward .... super cool effects there! I'd like too see more of that.

Wishing for a Shi Zhongyu-Dingdang vs Potian-Axiu double match next time... but too bad I guess its not gonna happen since SZY is not really a martial artist.

Last comment, to my surprise Cai Yida seems to be much more comfortable and very natural when he is playing the dumb and innocent Gouzazhong/SPT. He is not portraying SZY too good... not natural, I dunno why. Both lead actresses are okay and likeable.
    Last edited by loislane; 07-22-17 at 11:59 PM.

Points taken.
    Now it is already Episode 30. That means only 2 episodes left. Are things being rushed now?

Need to ask: why is Shi Potian allowed to go to hero's island?
    Last edited by wkeej; 07-18-17 at 03:12 PM.

Ended. Overall, it is worth a watch.

I just realized the name Shi Potian does not exist in this series. They only use Gouzazhong and Shi Zhongyu. In the novel, Dingdang calls him Tian-ge... in this series, its Yu-ge. Now I am not sure how to call the dumb one... Gouzazhong or his real name, Shi Zhongjian, lol. Okay, I will go with Jian and Yu, then.

Ep20-24
    click to show/hide spoilers
    I like the fact this series added lots and lots of interaction between Jian and Yu, just the two of em alone. In the novel, Yu did not appear till the last third of the whole story and he did not have any interaction with Jian at all. They finally meet and talk starting Ep20 onwards, and I really like the twins' interactions and scenes, though they are added scenes. Also liked Dingdang and Minrou's fight scene, though it was not in the novel.

Nice to know they make Yu and Dingdang nicer in this series. In the novel, they tricked Jian to go to Heroes island, but in this series, Jian voluntarily go for Yu's sake, and DD thanked him sincerely.
    Last edited by loislane; 07-23-17 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    I just realized the name Shi Potian does not exist in this series. They only use Gouzazhong and Shi Zhongyu. In the novel, Dingdang calls him Tian-ge... in this series, its Yu-ge. Now I am not sure how to call the dumb one... Gouzazhong or his real name, Shi Zhongjian, lol. Okay, I will go with Jian and Yu, then.
    [/spoiler]
    Yes, you are right. Shi Potian's name was not used at all.
    1. It is quite interesting that Ding Bu 4's daughter happened to be Big Dumpling's "mum". But it is not explained how they found their daughter? Is it from the blue book? Actually what is the title of the book? In addition, how and why she became ugly?
    2. I presume all of those who were left at Heroes Island died - including the Fairy "Grandpa and Grandma".
    3. Isn't Xie Yanke supposed to go to Hero's Island too?
    Last edited by wkeej; 07-19-17 at 08:36 AM.

Talking

It look great and I'm only watched the 1st episode. I feel like I should re-watch the 2003 version and then afterward continue onward with this.
    Something about the 2003 version that is just awesome to me. perhaps it's the kind of natural looking scenes, the wonder and beauty of nature.

Anyone can tell me why the need for zhang 3 and li 4 to take their "poisoned" wine every now and then?
    They take it once a month to improve their internal energy aka nei gong.

Need to ask: why is Shi Potian allowed to go to hero's island?
    He takes Shi Zhongyu's place as the leader of the sect (can't remember name) and goes there.

Yes, you are right. Shi Potian's name was not used at all.
    1. It is quite interesting that Ding Bu 4's daughter happened to be Big Dumpling's "mum". But it is not explained how they found their daughter? Is it from the blue book? Actually what is the title of the book? In addition, how and why she became ugly?
    2. I presume all of those who were left at Heroes Island died - including the Fairy "Grandpa and Grandma".
    3. Isn't Xie Yanke supposed to go to Hero's Island too?
    1. They just wished it up from mid air or some bollocks. Didn't say anything just suddenly they found her (like wtf)
    2. Probably safe to assume that, they didn't even say who they were
    3. Xie Yanke didn't get invited cause he's not a leader of a sect.

From what I've read, the director/writers took a lot of creative liberties for this story and changed A LOT. At the end of the book SPT/Big Dumpling is left wondering who he is as it's not confirmed he is indeed their son cause the kidnapping mum dies before telling them.

As for the series. Tbh, i'd give it a 6/10. Dragged on for too long in the middle and there were too many annoying characters. Hated the anime ending which I think they also changed with Bei Haishi going super saiyan or some shit. It's wuxia not anime bollocks. What a ****ing mess from Zhang Jizhong.

Downgraded it to a 4/10 now. Wouldn't recommend

Finished this series in a rush, I will definitely rewatch again and pay attention to details next time.

Initial impression: I LOVE IT!!

I'm a huge fan of Zhang Jizhong productions since Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, and Xia Ke Xing 2017 definitely did not disappoint! I'm happy with this series. The only two ZJZ series disappointed me were ROCH and DGSD, there were messed up editings, too much western BGMs, miscasts... I could not watch those two more than once, just... ugh... On the top, the legendary classic level for me are Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 2001 and Bi Xue Jian 2007, I only have words of praises for those two, any complaints is just nitpick. I would place this Xia Ke Xing series on the same level as HSDS2009, LOCH2003, and DOMD2008. Very good quality in general, but lack in story pacing and too much animated effects.

Story & Characters
    After reading the novel three years ago, I immediately set my expectation very low. The story and characters does not have much depth, so I never expected good story from this series. I think ZJZ's team did very well already in making sense of Shi Zhongyu's character, which almost non-existent in the book. I'm glad SZY was finally given an arc from Ep23 onwards. Not as martial artist, but his progress and development as a man, a human. I'm surprised I love his plot with Xie Yanke and Dingdang toward the end. It was simply a story of becoming a better man which you almost never get in a wuxia series. I like Yu and Dingdang's romance story alot toward the end, they are such a cute couple and I like how they matured together.
    Gouzazhong's plot pretty much follow the novel closely. I am glad there is no nonsense love triangle here like in the book. Gouzazhong fell for DD at some point, but in this series, he fell for Axiu since beginning to end. Finally for once, we have Jin Yong male characters who are not indecisive when it comes to romance.

Casting
    Perfect casting, as always. I almost never feel disappointed with Zhang Jizhong's choices of lead actors. Li Yapeng, Huang Xiaoming, Dou Zhikong, Deng Chao... I came to like them a lot. And now, Cai Yida... his Gouzazhong portrayal immediately convinced me. I love the gap how cool and handsome his expressions are when he is in a fight scene, and look so dumb and innocent when he is talking. As for his portrayal as SZY took me some time, but he did great in the last half of the series. I enjoyed Zhang Jiani's performance a lot as Dingdang toward the end.
    Loving Kent Tong as Bai Zizai. I'm a big fan of TVB's Five Tigers, so I feel giddy about Kent Tong Chun Yip as Bai Zizai in XKX and Michael Miu Kiu Wai as Huang Yaoshi in LOCH, lol. I missed seeing them in wuxia so much.
    I love the other supporting actors/characters too.

Fight Choreography
    I have not seen them all, but from a few fight scenes, I think its the usual awesome choreography by Zhao Jian. However, yes... I have to admit, I am not impressed with Gou Zazhong vs Bei Haishi's final showdown which turned into a Son Goku vs Freeza fight scene... too much Kamehameha effects -_- What the hell went on ZJZ's head for this final scene?? But the others looks great... Cai Yida looks really good in fight scenes, so that's a plus. Also, the cameraman really knows how to take good shots of fight scenes, I have no complain in this aspect.

Themesong/Music
    God bless, they did not use any BGM from previous production, lol. I love the music scores esp the fighting scene's scores, sounds really cool. Love all the traditional chinese music. I'm not impressed with the opening and ending songs, but I absolutely LOVE Shi Zhongyu and Dingdang's love song, Ru Xiang Lian by Jeffrey Zhang! Reminds me a bit of Bi Xue Jian's insert song.

Costumes are very good!! Love SZY and GZZ's outfits, not too keen of DD's purple one, but I love the one she wore toward the end... lovely.... all Axiu's costumes were pretty. Loving the natural makeups. Great details in sets and locations. I love the Skyscrapping Cliff scenery, breathtaking! Most of the locations are beautiful and camera angles were beautifully shot too.

Does anyone know where I can find Cai Yida's filmography list, has he been a lead in any other TV series or movie?
    Last edited by loislane; 07-23-17 at 12:01 AM.

Finished this series in a rush, I will definitely rewatch again and pay attention to details next time.
    Hi loislane, if you are re-watching this series again, can you help me in these two aspects: Thanking in advance.
    1. Was Xie Yanke invited to the Hero's Island? I remembered a fight between him (he lost quite badly) and the two messengers.
    2. What is the title of the "blue" book towards the end of Ep 32 which record Shi Potian was kidnapped twenty years ago?

Two other comments:
    1. That's Kent Tong as Bai Zizai? I did not recognize it. Was Xie Yanke acted by another HK actor too?
    2. Yes, Axiu's costumes were beautiful, especially towards the end (the blue and white one).

What's next after this?
    Last edited by jed-revolutia; 07-21-17 at 10:58 AM.

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by jed-revolutia View Post
    What's next after this?
    New Xiao Ao Jianghu, persumably in 2018; a new film adaptation of LOCH by Gordon Chan; possibly a new Shu Jian En Chou Lu by ZJZ.
    Apart from that:
    Kaypang Gallery posted something about a new (non-ZJZ) Young Flying Fox adaptation on facebook. Not sure about how credible Kaypang Gallery is as a source though. They also posted about a Guo Xiang centered show set between ROCH and HSDS, but I heard nothing about this from any other sources.

Also, although you didn't ask, other non Jin Yong related stuff that might be worth a watch:
    - Eternal Love movie with Yang Yang and Liu Yifei (Xiaolongnü in ROCH06)
    - New Ruyi series in december
    - 3rd Painted Skin movie (Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun, possibly Huang Xiaoming)
    - Rise of phoenixes with Chen Kun
    - Asura with Leo Wu (young YG in ROCH14), which will be the highest-budget chinese film yet; thrice the budget of Red Cliff
    - Fight Breaks Sphere, also with Leo Wu
    - Legend of the White Snake
    - Legend of the Ancient Sword
    - John Woo's Manhunt

Banned

It's taking me forever to download the HD episodes, so I'm only on Ep 14. Episodes 1-9 I was looking forward to Princess Agents more than this. But when the twins got mixed up, I didn't feel like watching Princess Agents anymore. This is my first time watching this particular JY story adaptation. The first series I'm watching without ENG subs in the last 5 years. I thought the actor did a brilliant job portraying a cocky and arrogant SZY. What was really funny though, he tried to seduce someone's wife, and karma returned the favor by having TTTT mouth feed wine to his brother.

Anyways, they say if you produce something successful, then make another one like it. Seems like this story is part XAJH (leader of some sects turns nuts on his own clan and must be imprisoned), and part LoCH two brothers one spoiled, the other isn't. Easily my secon fav JY story behind ROCH.

still waiting for someone to translate this to english sub

pity me who doesnt know chinese language

1. That's Kent Tong as Bai Zizai? I did not recognize it. Was Xie Yanke acted by another HK actor too?
    yeah, the actor who played XYK looked familiar. He is Norman Tsui, I remember him in Richie Ren's State of Divinity as Xiang Wentian. Apparently he was ATV actor (2nd popular Hongkong channel).

With Michael Miu as Huang Yaoshi in LOCH2017, Kent Tong as Bai Zizai, I am hoping to see Felix Wong in a Mainland wuxia production in the near future. Missing those guys!

I am rewatching again up to Ep7. I just realized Gouzazhong was introduced as Shi Potian in the first scene he showed up, on the screentext. And then at the end, his mother called him 'Tian-er! Tian-er!' So I guess, his character's real name is Shi Potian in this series. But Shi Potian is not his real name in the novel. Lol, so confusing.
    Last edited by loislane; 08-08-17 at 06:51 AM.

yeah, the actor who played XYK looked familiar. He is Norman Tsui, I remember him in Richie Ren's State of Divinity as Xiang Wentian. Apparently he was ATV actor (2nd popular Hongkong channel).

With Michael Miu as Huang Yaoshi in LOCH2017, Kent Tong as Bai Zizai, I am hoping to see Felix Wong in a Mainland wuxia production in the near future. Missing those guys!
    Thanks.
    OT: There was some speculation or is it hope that Felix will be H7G in LOCH2017.