Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ode to Gallantry 《侠客行》 - Cai Yida, Zhang Jiani, Li Jingyang

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Thanks.
    OT: There was some speculation or is it hope that Felix will be H7G in LOCH2017.
    That and I was hoping for Kent Tong to be casted as Ouyang Feng, he would totally nail that role like its nobody else's business. Sorry OOT!

just watched ep1-2 ,

i have a question,
    what martial arts did shi zhongyu learn? i know its derivered from his parents twin blade black-white (or whatever their nickname), but what martial arts is it? from Wu Dang Sect?

Banned

Took advantage of happy hour that allowed me to download three episodes at the same time. As a consequence, I was able to binge watch the HD eps on my crystal clear retina-like tablet all the way to the end. But it doesn't mean I fast forwarded any part during the binge. I watched every single scene, sometimes even replaying certain parts.

Here's my review having finished the drama:

This is a top notch Jin Yong production. My favorite two scenes were SZY's girl did the cliff climb and the battle between two YeYe's (grandpa's) aboard the ship. Not so much coz the scene or setting were interesting, but the inventive way the screen writer brought about those circumstances merely by placing the right characters at the right place. The other thing I like it doesn't really have a bad guy, the main baddie was merely possessed by the dark side, not coz he was inherently evil.

(Speaking of Dark Side, did you know that STAR WARS actually came from Jin Yong's work? My thesis is after USA lost/got stalemated by China during the Korean war, USA got jealous and wanted to know how a country that didn't even have their own airplanes at that time managed to completely own the 16 Western allies. Thus began their crave to know the Han Chinese inside out and their discovery of Jin Yong's work. Which is why Ode to Gallantry 2017 successfully demonstrated how a certain character was lured to the Dark Side and became a Sith Lord...)

The other part is Jin Yong's works are almost the equiv of the Bible of the West. My fav JY work is ROCH coz the Bible said (for when I am weak then am I strong). YG got his arm chopped off coz to make him the weakest (then he became the strongest). OTOH, Ode to Gallantry was to illustrate another saying from the Bible (to confound men, beggars will be made Kings [or wuxia champs] among us). I also like the weird metaphysical sh1t, in a good way, that took place in the cave with martial arts drawings.

The only complain I have is Ode to Gallantry would make for a better high budget movie. Not saying that this drama was bad, only it could be better. And it's the exact right length for a movie adaptation too...

Overall rating (my scale):

23.0/10 - A great ROCH adaptation
    18.5/10 - Ode to Gallantry (2017)
    18.0/10 - Fighter of the Destiny
    17.5/10 - Nirvana in Fire
    16.0/10 - A good ROCH adaptation
    12.0/10 - Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn movie in 3D
    12.0/10 - Three Lives, Three Worlds TV drama
    9.0/10 - Candle in the Tomb
    7.0/10 - Ice Fantasy
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-19-17 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    just watched ep1-2 ,

i have a question,
    what martial arts did shi zhongyu learn? i know its derivered from his parents twin blade black-white (or whatever their nickname), but what martial arts is it? from Wu Dang Sect?
    While I am not sure whether his parents taught him any martial arts, Shi Zhongyu's skills should be from Snowy Mountain Sect.

While I am not sure whether his parents taught him any martial arts, Shi Zhongyu's skills should be from Snowy Mountain Sect.
    just watched until 10 episodes , looks like yes shi zhongyu's father is from wu dang sect originally,
    so high probability what he learned from his father was wudang sect martial arts , his parents said to master bai (zhongyu teacher)
    that they tought him martial arts because zhongyu health was very weak when he was kid.
    zhongyu use this martial arts to beat fellow xueshan sect when sparring in episode 1.

they didnt send zhongyu to wudang sect because afraid that Mei would come to take their other kid

just watched until 10 episodes , looks like yes shi zhongyu's father is from wu dang sect originally,
    so high probability what he learned from his father was wudang sect martial arts , his parents said to master bai (zhongyu teacher)
    that they tought him martial arts because zhongyu health was very weak when he was kid.
    zhongyu use this martial arts to beat fellow xueshan sect when sparring in episode 1.

they didnt send zhongyu to wudang sect because afraid that Mei would come to take their other kid
    Thanks for the information.

Am I right to say that Shi Zhongyu's parents (Shi Qin and Min Rou) are both from Wudang?
    How's about the woman who like Shi Zhongyu's father (Mei Fanggu)?

Am I right to say that Shi Zhongyu's parents (Shi Qin and Min Rou) are both from Wudang?
    How's about the woman who like Shi Zhongyu's father (Mei Fanggu)?
    i dont know chinese language , so i watched a version that using google translate as sub , lolz

but CMIIW...

from what i understand, Shi Qin definitely was from WuDang,
    but his wife ... i dont know, yes they practice together in WuDang mountain , but as far as i know, Wu Dang sect never accept woman as discipline right? (its why Zhang shanfeng sent ZZR to Emei) , so.... ??

Shi Zhongyu called Min Rou "younger sister" or "Xiong Mei" in both novel and tv series i believe

for Mei Fanggu, she was not from any sect (as said by Ding Busi in the novel, i read the translation in this forum). in this 2017 tv series, her mother Mei Wenxin was said from Emei sect , i forget what episode it was mentioned.
    it's said that one day mei fanggu left her mother and disappear suddenly, probably falling in love with Shi Qin and training martial arts with him.
    so high probability her martial art is from her mother and made her stronger than shi qin and min rou.
    Her famous martial art is Plum Blossom Fist .

looks like this tv series had a little different story than the novel version, nearly the end of novel, shi po tian didnt meet and fight Bei Haishe, but in tv series, Bei Haishe somehow learnt Jiu Yang and very strong, its not an easy fight for shi po tian.
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 08-31-17 at 10:37 AM.

Smile

Just reading through some of you guys comments from the new Yi Tian Tu Long Ji and re-watching some episodes. I too have concerns for how they perform the martial arts now compared to some of the older generation series.

Take for example in the Ode to Gallantry 2003 version, although they don't have great looking actor/actress like the new Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min Princess, they actually got some professional martial artists to guide them.

Look at this beautiful martial art battle between Shi Po Tian and his Wu Dang elders.

What do you guys think in the future making of whatever ancient martial art drama series, they would looks more into getting martial arts professional rather than using too much CGI to make the battle scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by GazingStar5 View Post
    Just reading through some of you guys comments from the new Yi Tian Tu Long Ji and re-watching some episodes. I too have concerns for how they perform the martial arts now compared to some of the older generation series.

Take for example in the Ode to Gallantry 2003 version, although they don't have great looking actor/actress like the new Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min Princess, they actually got some professional martial artists to guide them.

Look at this beautiful martial art battle between Shi Po Tian and his Wu Dang elders.

What do you guys think in the future making of whatever ancient martial art drama series, they would looks more into getting martial arts professional rather than using too much CGI to make the battle scenes?
    nice fighting choreography .
    btw, that 2003 version is also use Wudang? because a new revision novel already change it to Shanqing sect

Smile

My apology for I was confusing myself between the 2017 and 2003 version since I was re-watching them pretty much simultaneously many months ago.

I'm now wondering about what would be the reason for them to make those changes from Shang Qing Guan to Wu Dang? Since Wu Dang is made from either a little bit before or during the Ming Dynasty? While Shang Qing Guan was establish long before that?

I am also wondering what is the reason that in some novels with twin sibling stories involvement like Ode to Gallantry come with the Twins that are born to look alike from one another while other novel like Jue Dai Shuang Jiao would have twins not looking alike?

Do you guys know of any other novels like that or especially one with twins that are female and then male?

I am also wondering what is the reason that in some novels with twin sibling stories involvement like Ode to Gallantry come with the Twins that are born to look alike from one another while other novel like Jue Dai Shuang Jiao would have twins not looking alike?

Do you guys know of any other novels like that or especially one with twins that are female and then male?
    Good observation.
    Not novel, but in the latest SGDD, Ah Zhu and Ah Zi are twins.

I'm now wondering about what would be the reason for them to make those changes from Shang Qing Guan to Wu Dang? Since Wu Dang is made from either a little bit before or during the Ming Dynasty? While Shang Qing Guan was establish long before that?

Probably because Wudang is more famous, so they use Wudang for drama 2017 due to the popularity.
    Wudang is created by Zhang Sanfeng before the event of HSDS took place, so its between Song - Yuan Dynasty, not Ming.

in Ode To Gallantry, the two were not Twins! Shi Zhongyu is older 1-2 years than Shi Potian. they just have a very similar face.

in Ode To Gallantry, the two were not Twins! Shi Zhongyu is older 1-2 years than Shi Potian. they just have a very similar face.
    You are right, a_t.

Smile

I was always wondering about how come Shi Qing and Min Ruo never said or thought about Shi Po Tian as being twin brother with Shi Zhong Yue. I guess when I was watching the show, I was mostly too focus on how confused Shi Po Tian is to almost everything that went on after he was taken away from Xe Yan Ke sky cliff by Bei Hai Shi.

Hi WK my friend is still not done with traveling.....
    However since A-T seems like a very detailed person concerning these great stories like Xia Ke Xing, Y Tian Tu Long Ji and ect ect.....

Perhaps A-T would know if these is a version of Wei xiao Bao Duke of Mount Deer in which my friend told me about having Wei Xiao Bao martial art level very strong toward the ending of the story?
    Or my friend made that up and there is none like that?

Also I have another friend that once told me there is a version of Zhang Wu Ji in Yi Tian Tu Long Ji that met Zhao Min princess earlier before they met after the battle at brightness peak? Which was like at some jungle? Well it's probably not a jungle but I don't know what to call it. But my friend said that Zhao Min princess have already met Zhang Wu Ji long before that?

Would you know anything about it A-T or WK?

I have not watched the new Jue Dai Shuang Jiao yet and only been watching some trailer music video for it. But now since I'm reading some comments about some battle scene only be with some unprofessionally made CGI effects.....

I'm more than intrigued to start on watching it soon especially since now reading A-T posting of just detailing things to the very littlest thing which makes almost everything seems more interesting especially with stories like Xia Ke Xing and Jue Dai Shuang Jiao.

Also look at how they made that new show, it does look like they put alot of effort into filming it especially building up new crop and going to certain beautiful location scenery. I think it's going to be worth watching rather than just reading some comments about low level martial art battle with unprofessional CGI graphic.....

Perhaps A-T would know if these is a version of Wei xiao Bao Duke of Mount Deer in which my friend told me about having Wei Xiao Bao martial art level very strong toward the ending of the story?
    Or my friend made that up and there is none like that?

Also I have another friend that once told me there is a version of Zhang Wu Ji in Yi Tian Tu Long Ji that met Zhao Min princess earlier before they met after the battle at brightness peak? Which was like at some jungle? Well it's probably not a jungle but I don't know what to call it. But my friend said that Zhao Min princess have already met Zhang Wu Ji long before that?
    OT: The strong WXB will be in the comedy movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tramp

I think in the 2003 series, ZM was present at Brightness Peak. But whether she saw ZWJ I can't remember.

i am not that good at TV adaptation, my resource is mostly from reading the novel ,
    i only watch a newer adaptation , some of it , i even dropped after watching a few episodes (roch 2014, spw 2018)
    fortunately , i watched ode to gallantry 2017, yeah the adaptation is not as good as the novel, but we dont have many choice,
    the last version before the 2017 one was 2002 and i cannot find the video with subtitle.
    i think @wkeej has a better knowledge and experience for TV adaptation than me

but yeah, i heard that the 2003 version of HSDS was very deviate than the original, not only Zhao Min showed up earlier, but also some stupid thing like Song Qingshu learned 18 Dragon Subduing Palm.