Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade for another update

Thanks for the translation!

From my addiction to Stellar Transformations though, I think it's wiser if I don't start reading it for a while. I'm pretty sure I put more effort into checking for updates than any actual work I do

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Thanks for the translation!

From my addiction to Stellar Transformations though, I think it's wiser if I don't start reading it for a while. I'm pretty sure I put more effort into checking for updates than any actual work I do
    Haha I hear you. Take your time. It will take a while to get through this one.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thank you so much again for this translation! It is getting really funny. Hope to see more soon! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    I stared at the phone, waiting for a minute to go buy.
    change buy to by.

thanks for the translation.

This story is part of Giddens Ko's City Horror (都市恐怖病) series of novels. As the story progresses, it will get darker and more horrifying. There is a scene in the ending which hits me hard.

Thanks deathblade for the update. I hope there is some wuxia stuff soon.

Thank you deathblade!! How long is this story? Also, what exactly this story is about (the background)?? I haven't heard of this story before until very recently. Few posters seemed very enthusiastic about it in your translation request forum.. So I believe it must be popular.

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by yan 16 View Post
    Thank you deathblade!! How long is this story? Also, what exactly this story is about (the background)?? I haven't heard of this story before until very recently. Few posters seemed very enthusiastic about it in your translation request forum.. So I believe it must be popular.
    Check out the first post in the whole thread for a super brief summary, and also Convoy's comment here: http://goo.gl/Y8gXne

It's pretty long. We've barely gotten started.

Want to say thanks to WesY2K who found a TON of mistakes (typos, grammar, spelling, etc.)

I went back and fixed the text.

Please feel free to point out mistakes, either in comments to the thread or in private messages. I want the text to be as clean as possible!
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-03-14 at 02:28 AM.

A terrifying annoyance (4)

I stared for another minute.

Finally, the phone rang.

Hello, is Shao Yuan there? It was Yi Jings voice.

Youre one minute late. I collapsed onto the bed.

Thats because our clocks are different, she said. Good point.

Im going to start studying. I crossed one leg over the other.

Okay. Bye, then said Yi Jing quickly.

We hung up at the same time, no procrastination.

I couldnt help but smile. I looked at the spinning blades of the electric fan, and I felt a strange feeling in my heart How do the authors of love stories come up with those fascinating and emotionally philosophical conversations?

I dont think Yi Jing and I would ever have the kind of conversations they have in love stories.

I couldnt figure it out. Did those ultra sappy conversations actually occur in real life? Wouldnt it be really weird and awkward?

Maybe in this story, I just didnt play a romantic role. Or, even more likely, this story just wasnt a love story. And even more probable, Yi Jing and I had nothing romantic at all between us, so we would never have those kinds of dreamy conversations.

I laid down on the bed and yawned.

At the moment, I just wanted to sleep. But suddenly, my entire body felt as if it had been dropped into a giant freezer and was being stabbed all over by coldness.

The familiar pressure had reappeared, and had redoubled!

I leapt up like lightning and sat on my pillow, panic-stricken. I stared wide-eyed at the window.

I understood.

In the twinkling of an eye, I understood.

This was an absolute, out-and-out horror story.

Sadly, in this story I played a supporting role, someone who gets killed.

And the villain, the lead character of the horror story, was currently stuck to my window, his body adhering to the glass, staring at me. I was so frightened, it seemed my internal organs had burst.

And that brings us to the end of part 1 (out of 12). Next update will be part 2!

Going by the page numbers of the book on my ipad, I've translated about 27 pages, and have about 360 to go. Which means we are about 6% complete with the story......

Thanks
    I did not realize this book was so short

Thanks deathblade. Wow! Hope there are more actions to come.

Thanks deathblade

thanks!!!!

Part 2

That year, I was 13 years old, an inauspicious age. That year, Chang Yu-sheng was still alive, Dave Wong was popular, and Fang Jiwei was still the Sweetheart of the Military. Their songs filled my room every day. That year, I met him. That year, kung fu.

Old Man (1)

Ahhh I screamed. I use all the power in my body to scream.

The old man stared at me from outside the window. He tilted his head, staring at his prey up and down.

I dont know when I regained my composure, but by the time I finished my pointless screaming, I had two diabolo sticks [37] in my hands.

What are you doing?! I rebuked. Why are you hanging outside my window!? He seemed old but full of vigour. And it seemed as if he had used no climbing tools whatsoever to ascend to the third floor of our house.

The old man said nothing. He just opened his mouth and breathed onto the window, forming some fog. And then he wrote five characters onto the window with his finger: Study martial arts with me.

I shook my head. At that moment, my heart was filled with an absolute sense of abomination.

How could there be such an obstinate weirdo!

I picked up the phone and dialled 110 [38].

Hello? Im sorry, I need to report a situation. My house is located at #5 Yongle Street [39]. Theres a weird person who climbed up to the third floor window of our house, like Spider-man. I think hes planning to rob us. Could you please send someone over? Mm-hmm. No, no Im not joking. Please hurry.

I looked at the old man hanging to the window and hung up the phone.

He stared at me eagerly. Im not sure exactly when, but the strange feeling of pressure was gone.

Because of my phone call, the old man would probably be taken to the police station and interrogated, then charged and sent to prison for a few months. Considering his ridiculous crazy condition, he would definitely be bullied by other prisoners.

Wouldnt that be just too ruthless? I asked myself.

But, he had really gone too far, hangin outside my window and scaring me like this. If I had been studying at my desk at the foot of my bed (which was right next to the window) [40], when I saw him ,my heart might have stopped in fright.

I was almost completely convinced that if I didnt report him to the police this time, he would intensify his efforts to frighten me. So I stuck to my decision.

Ding dong.

I sped to open the door and dash downstairs. Two police officers stood in the entry hall.

Your son reported that someone climbed up to your third floor window, said one of the policemen. Were here to have a look.

Dad was shocked for a moment. No, he said. He must have just been bored and decided to make a fake emergency call for fun!

Uncle Wang slapped his fat belly and laughed. Of course, of course! Yuan Zai is a naughty kid. Sorry to trouble you, officers. Why dont you have some tea with us!

Its my bedroom window! I yelled angrily. Officer, come with me, quickly!

The policemen looked at each other, then slipped off their shoes, unholstered their guns, and followed me up stairs. My dad and his four friends followed curiously.

I opened the bedroom door and pointed outside the window toward

Weird.

Nobody was there?

He was right here! I shouted. I was so scared I screamed! Didnt you hear?

Scream? said Dad suspiciously. What scream?

My fists clenched into balls. I was so mad I couldnt speak.

Uncle Chen, standing off to the side, laughed. Yuan Zai has always been mischievous like this, ever since he was young. Officers, please dont be upset. Lets go downstairs and have a cup of tea.

The policemen looked at me coldly. If you make a fake emergency call ever again, well lock you up!

With that, they followed Dad and the others downstairs.

Furious, I threw the phone onto the bed and slammed the door.

I looked out the window, trying to control my fury.

But what was I actually angry at? At this point, I wasnt angry at the crazy old man any more.

I was angry at those rotten adults, so busy with their mindless chatting that they hadnt heard me scream.

I sat indignantly on the bed, picked up the phone and punched some numbers in.

Hello, is Yi Jing there? I tried to calm myself down.

Its not even 7:00 yet, is it? It was Yi Jings voice. You have something to report?

I looked into the empty darkness outside the window and said, The old man came for me again just now.

What? she said, amazed. He knows where you live? You told him?

I ground my teeth. No, of course not! He must be stalking me. And guess how he came after me?

Yi Jing hesitated for a moment and then said, Considering that youre asking, Im going guess he probably didnt knock or ring the doorbell?

Right.

Did he climb out of your backpack? Yi Jing said, her voice quite sincere.

I was speechless.

Hiding in the closet? she said quietly.

He was hanging outside my window, staring at me with eyes like a dead fishs. I sighed.

Ah? she said, seemingly at a loss. Isnt your bedroom on the third floor?

That's what made it even more terrifying! I said angrily. Seeing his face hanging there on the glass was more than enough to give me nightmares for a week.

Then what. Did he fall down? she asked worriedly.

I dont think so, he seems really agile. After I called the police, he ran off. As I spoke, I couldnt help but think of the oily faces of my dads friends.

Yeah, I hope so, said Yi Jing. That would be much better than if he slipped and fell down.

Yeah, I hope so too. But every time I see him my whole body feels weird. I dont know whats going on. I have such bad luck. And then I told her about the frightening incident that had occurred after school.

Yi Jing listened quietly. You would think she might criticize me for talking crap, but she didnt.

Now that youve told me all this I seems like the old man isnt going to leave you alone. Who knows, maybe he cast some kind of spell on you or something? Or maybe he has a straw figurine of you that he pricks with needles? Hearing Yi Jing so earnestly make deductions about me didnt make me feel comfortable at all.

I wasnt merely uncomfortable, I began shaking coldly.

Why dont you say something? Did I scare you? she asked apologetically.

N-n no. I shrank backwards on my bed, my skin covered with goosebumps.

I gripped the telephone tightly, suddenly feeling as if I had slipped into some kind of trance.

Why would I be gripping the phone like this?

[37] Id never seen or heard of the diabolo before I came to China, but here, and in Taiwan too I assume, its a pretty common toy http://goo.gl/lGC6m
    [38] This is the Taiwan emergency telephone number.
    [39] The street is named after the Yongle Emperor, third of the Ming Emperors http://goo.gl/FDo78
    [40] This part I added completely. He doesnt say anything about where the desk is located, and I feel like in English its weird without the clarification. I think in Chinese it is implied that the desk is close to the window, but in English it really isnt. Feel free to hit me with other opinions.
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-27-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixed tons of mistakes and made changes suggested by WesY2K, fixed mistake found by xiaomi