Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks!!!!

Aha the action begins! ... thls deathblade.

Becoming a disciple (1)

Let us begin the first lesson! Let me think, the first thing I will teach you The old man sat down on the floor cross-legged, losing himself in thought.

Hold on a moment. Why did you pick me to be your disciple? I also sat cross-legged, not to train, but to talk.

What do you mean I picked you? You begged me! said the old man with a hint of annoyance.

I nodded. After all, I had no personality.

Master, when I begged you to accept me as your disciple, how come you agreed so quickly? I asked.

I was really curious why a lunatic had taken notice of me.

After all, knowing martial arts didnt preclude one from being a lunatic.

Master muttered to himself for a moment, then said, After you went through my three tests, I found that you possessed much potential. Not like me when I was young. So when you begged me, I could not allow myself to be arrogant and unapproachable.

Were you testing my compassion? I asked doubtfully. Or my patience? Or did you scare me all day to test the condition of my heart? If I didnt die from fright, then I was qualified?

Master nodded and said, All correct. But the most important test was the one in which you showed the most potential. When studying martial arts, one must be very particular when it comes to natural gifts in this area.

I didnt understand, which was frustrating.

Master looked at me and said, You dont understand?

I was about to open my mouth when I caught sight of Masters eyes, staring at me with blazing fury. I didnt know why, but all the hair on my body suddenly stood on end. My heart began pounding, and pearl-like drops of cold sweat broke out on my forehead.

Determining aptitude is not about looking at muscles or physique. It is about carefully observing a persons instincts. Master went on earnestly: A type of instinct hidden deeply within instinct. Awareness of auras of death. The gift of being able to sense danger. Only by being able to understand danger can one surpass it.

Master smiled. The indescribable pressure on my heart suddenly vanished.

It turned out that Master had been using an aura of death to test out my ability to react to danger.

Master continued, First I will teach you basic Tu Na breathing techniques [47]. Listen to me while you practice. Our Heaven Reaching Sect once shook the martial world. While Tu Na breathing is a fundamental and common art, the specific technique is very unique. The differences in the martial arts of the various clans and sects stem from differences in their foundational breathing technique.

He told me that I could not reveal to anyone the technique of the Heavenly Reaching Sects Tu Na breathing skill. Martial arts are not something that just anyone can study. Afterwards, Master would repeatedly remind me of this.

That night it was truly our destiny to meet in the book store, you and me, master and disciple. You were there reading historical records of the martial world, and I probingly recommended some records that I feel are quite good. And you The words flowed from Masters mouth.

Master, I said dryly, I was reading wuxia novels, not historical records!

Let me tell you a secret. Actually, they are not all just novels. Some are, some are not. Some are nonsensical chatter, like Legend of the Swordsman from Mount Zu. Others are actually true parables from the martial world. And some people from them have connections to the forefathers of our Heaven Reaching Sect. For example, the great hero Linghu Chong [48] from Smiling Proud Wanderer. His Nine Whips of Dugu once fell in defeat under one of our Heavenly Reaching Sect forefathers sword skill Master said this part with great gusto. [49]

I couldnt help but say, Linghu Chong used the Nine Swords of Dugu [50]! It was a sword technique! Id said all along that Master was crazy.

Master smacked my head lightly and said, That was a fabrication by later generations, which is not very respectful to the ancestors. How could Linghu Chongs Nine Whips of Dugu, a whip technique that shook the Northern Frontier, be a sword technique? Its laughable, laughable!

What do you mean it shook the Northern Frontier? As soon as the words came out of my mouth I regretted it. Why was I taking this all so seriously?

When Great Hero Linghu took his Divine Condor [51] far to the Northern Frontier to fight a duel with Shining Hunchback of the North Mu Gaofeng, Master said unhesitatingly, what he used was this unpredictable whip technique.

Northern Shining Hunchback Mu Gaofeng [52]? Where the **** did that bastard rank? [53]

Wait, wait. Divine Condor?

Linghu Chongs Divine Condor uh, how big was it? I asked gingerly.

Huge, Master exclaimed. At least two heads taller than you!

And the condor where did it come from? It wasnt on loan from Yang Guo [54], was it? My suspicions currently exceeded my impulse to laugh.

Of course not. It was raised by Linghu Chong. Great Hero Linghu was a patient man, it really fills people with a feeling of veneration.

So, was Yang Guo from Return of the Condor Heroes [55] also a real person? I could not hold back from asking. What a weird old guy.

Yes! His patience is even more admirable. The expression grinding an iron club into a needle aptly describes how he practiced diligently day and night with his Great Adamantine Sword. He practiced with it so much that the enormous sword was eventually whittled down into a needle. What patience! What pure internal strength! Master said all of this in an exceedingly powerful and unconstrained tone.

I could not hold back from laughing out loud. Really. I hadnt laughed so loud in a long time.

My first night in exile from my family, and I suddenly found myself laughing uproariously.

What are you laughing at? Is something funny? Master looked a bit embarrassed, and his face filled with an awkward expression.

I looked at Masters dirty face. It was filled with a warmth that seemed to have been missing for a long time.

Nothing, I just think its really interesting. Its very different from what I read. I thought Master would rebuke me, but as it turns out his personality was very quirky.

The details of history become lost, writings contain inaccuracies. These things are unavoidable. But they do not affect our goal of pursuing martial arts. Our pursuit of profound and matchless kung fu is out of our desire to uphold justice. Masters hands rested lightly on his knees, and his sleeves fluttered lightly in the wind. Hero Guo said it well, he continued earnestly. A true hero fights for the country and the people.

I nodded.

I could not help but nod.

Masters earnest expression caused goosebumps to cover my body. I was quite moved.

It turns out this incoherent, crazy old man had the ability to move my heart.

What a wonderful old lunatic.

A true hero repeated Master slowly.

Maybe it was just the feelings of the moment, but his expression at that time still moves me even down to this day.

When I was reading the historical records of the martial world, I asked, I was reading a good one, so thats why you decided to accept me?

Master shook his head. You were polite to me, which left me with a favorable impression. Then when I saw that you were so entranced with the wuxia world, I came to believe that you might have some natural ability.

[47] Tu Na is an ancient method of controlling breathing to accumulate energy. I found mention of it in a lot of articles, but couldnt find an article specifically about it.
    [48] Linghu Chong is one of my favorite wuxia characters! http://goo.gl/FyNnaZ
    [49] I significantly changed the grammar, word order, and sentence order of this paragraph to make it make sense in English.
    [50] For anyone not very familiar with Jin Yong novels, Dugu Nine Swords is one of the most famous and fearsome sword arts in the novels. http://goo.gl/KeR9hk
    [51] This is funny because the Divine Condor belonged to Yang Guo, not Linghu Chong. http://goo.gl/KiXlWE
    [52] Mu Gaofeng was a minor antagonist in Smiling Proud Wanderer. In the translation on the forum, his nickname is Northern Hunchback. But in Chinese there is an additional character that means bright or shining, so I added that in and changed it a bit.
    [53] I believe hes a bit derisive because by the time Linghu Chong learned the Dugu Nine Swords (or whips? haha), Mu Gaofeng would not have been even close to his level.
    [54] Yang Guo is perhaps one of the most famous protagonists in Jin Yongs novels http://goo.gl/dzdt
    [55] Return of the Condor Heroes is another of Jin Yongs famous novels http://goo.gl/vxiGRq. You can read a translation here on the forums http://goo.gl/6KoRvH
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-27-14 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixed tons of mistakes and made changes suggested by WesY2K, added a link to footnotes, fixed mistakes found by LuDongBin, adjusted wording of footnotes, fixed capitalization inconsistency
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks deathblade

Thanks!!!!

Thks deathblade.

A typing error:
    .... staring at me with blazing with fury. .....

..... Why was I taking this all so seriously? ....(I, missing).

Thanks deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Becoming a disciple (2)

Master continued, So when you went home I followed you from a distance, and on the way, I shot toward you an aura of death, to see your reaction to danger. It was very good. I heard your footsteps become heavy and your breathing ragged. You have talent. So I decided to test you some more.

I nodded. Perhaps I really was naturally talented in this regard. After all, the constrictive feeling of dread had been quite real. No wonder every time Master appeared, my heart felt like it would explode.

Master tilted his head and said, If you are unable to sense danger, it means you have no natural ability. How can you call yourself a hero if you are so clueless that you cant sense danger until your head has been removed? Who in the martial world would be willing to engage in a contest of martial arts with you then? [56]

Its a very practical issue, I responded.

These past few years I have wandered Jianghu, continued Master. I frequently projected an inimitable aura of death. In the end, almost no one had any reaction to it at all. An aura of death is shapeless and colorless, and will not hurt ordinary people. But martial arts masters frequently face danger. How could they lack awareness of auras of death? These years, people are used to comfort and pleasure. Martial arts have turned into a circus act, a sports activity. People have forgotten that they originally were used to protect ones life!

So, I said, am I the first person you found who reacted to your aura of death?

No, replied Master apologetically. Last year I was in the Land of the Rising Sun [57]. In my travels I encountered a young man who was extremely sensitive to auras of death. But at the time, because of a variety of reasons, I got involved in a conflict with some men of the land of the Rising Sun. I was arrested by the police and locked up, and lost track of the child. Later, well, humph, how could a place like that keep your Master contained?

I laughed and said, Thats too bad. It seems really boring to study martial arts alone. It would be great if you could find someone to be my fellow disciple. It would be much more interesting with two people.

Master nodded earnestly. If there were two disciples, then it would definitely

He drifted into silence, contemplating.

I thought of Ah Yi, who loved to fight. I have a classmate whos really interested in fighting. Master, what if you take him as a disciple?

He frowned. The one who hit me that time?

I nodded. You must have let him hit you, right? If you had struck him you would have hurt him.

I thought to myself: If master had even just tapped his palm onto Ah Yis chest, he would have vomited out all the blood in his body.

Master scratched his hair. Martial arts practitioners are forbidden from casually revealing their abilities. Our chivalry must be practiced in the shadows. Revealing our true bearing will also reveal our foundation and position. So in that situation, I could only bear the disgrace and take to my heels. In any case, that child is too violent and rude, and has no talent. Anyone who accepted him as a disciple would be completely lacking in wisdom. I will not accept him. Will not.

I didnt really care. But seeing Master constantly scratching himself, I couldnt help but suggest, Master, why dont you shower? Ill take you there. Im pretty sure that practicing martial arts doesnt help to protect against skin diseases.

Embarrassed, Master said, I dont want to trouble you.

I shook my head, leading him out the door and down the stairs.

The bathroom was in the corner of the first floor.

Mom and some of her friends were playing Mahjong and watching a drama show at the same time.

Mrs. Li, her face smeared with so much rouge she looked like a clown from a Chinese opera, wrinkled her brow and said, Whats the strange smell?

Mom and the others covered their noses, looking around, finally catching sight of me leading my filthy Master down the stairs.

Ah?! Yuan Zai, how could you bring Mom was shocked.

Master stood next to me, not sure what to do.

I said, My Master. [58]

Mom forced a crack of a smile onto her rigid and ill-tempered face. Youre Yuan Zais teacher? Please, excuse me, I never thought you would pay a house call. Im playing a game right now, its really

Seeing Moms attitude, Master changed, suddenly becoming extremely refined and courteous. Your son is exceedingly gifted. To be his teacher is truly an honor. I will teach him well, and turn him into an indomitable true man. Madam truly need not worry.

Mom, Mrs. Li, Maid Ma, Auntie He, all stared open-mouthed.

My master needs to take a shower. Without giving them any further explanation, I pulled Master toward the bathroom.

Mom had completely no clue how Master got into my bedroom, but was there any need for further explanation?

Master bowed with clasped hands and followed me to the bathroom. I gave him some shampoo and soap, as well as a set of clothes from Dads room. Then I went back upstairs.

Before I left, I urged Master to shower for a bit longer, since he doesnt have many opportunities to do so.

About an hour later, after I was finished with my math and English homework, I heard Masters knock on the door.

It was the first time he ever knocked on my door.

Im used to my clothes, he said apologetically, so He held Dads clothes in his hand.

No problem, I said, grabbing the clothes and rolling them up.

I looked at the freshly showered Master. Yeah, the secretions on his face were gone, and even though he still wore the old Tang suit, he had already been elevated from the level of a vagrant to that of a proper old man.

Thank you, he said happily.

I gave a gentle smile.

I should be the one saying thank you.

After thinking about it, I realised that perhaps justice was something that really did need to be exercised. I sat down with Master, folding my legs the same way he did, and the first class began.

First lesson. Tu Na Qi gathering, developing strength in the veins and tendons. Last night, I watched over you the whole night. After you went to sleep, I shattered your window and came in to help you develop your veins and tendons. I used gentle internal force to slowly cultivate your blood and Qi. Therefore, afterwards you ought to have been filled with energy and strength, and not feel exhaustion. Correct?

I nodded. Yeah. So thats what happened.

Master said, Developing strength in your veins and tendons is the first step in learning profound internal martial arts. If you are able to constantly practice the techniques, the strength of your inner force channeling will be much greater. It is a major foundation skill. This evening you somehow generated an astonishing aura of death, which was your innate gift at work. When combined with the aid I provided last night to your breathing and circulation, you were able to destroy the table in your fury.

I gazed at my palms, considerably pleased with myself.

[56] Just a heads up that I rearranged this paragraph a bit to make sense in English. The original sentence and word order doesnt quite conform to English syntax and logic.
    [57] He uses an ancient and literary word that means Japan. So I decided to try to use the most literary and ancient expression in English that I could think of for it. (This is the same word used to describe the origin of the bathing facilities in Zhuo Donglai's special room http://goo.gl/rWgEjk)
    [58] The word for Master in Chinese is not quite the same as in English. It is more common and somewhat less formal sometimes. For example, in a lot of parts of China its common to address taxi drivers with this word, or perhaps other professional working men. Also, generally speaking, it means teacher. So in the Western English-speaking world, for a kid to say that some old guy is his "Master," would sound really strange, but not so much in Chinese I think.
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-27-14 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fixed tons of mistakes and made changes suggested by WesY2K, fixed mistake found by ycb5959, footnote adjustment

Thanks!!!!

Thanks deathblade

by the way - the chapter on 'du gu nine whips', 'Linghu Chongs Divine Condor' was hilarious!

Spotted error:

Revealing our true bearing will also reveal our foundation and position. So in that situation, I could only bear the disgrace and take to my heals.

Should be 'heels'

Thanks deathblade

This is getting interesting .... thks deathblade.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    by the way - the chapter on 'du gu nine whips', 'Linghu Chongs Divine Condor' was hilarious!
    Yeah, pretty funny wasn't it! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    This is getting interesting .... thks deathblade.
    Glad you're finding it interesting. I think it's kind of like an wuxia fanboy's dream.

Am I the only wuxia fan that ever daydreamed about some old master finding me and teaching me crazy wuxia martial arts?

Becoming a disciple (3)

Master knocked my head lightly. Do not be too full of yourself. Right now you have no aura of death; your veins and arteries have no significant growth. You are just like any other person. If you want to carve out permanent mastery, you must continue to practice this first lesson day and night.

I believed Master, so I carefully listened and watched as he explained and acted out the martial philosophies.

The first lesson wasnt fluff. At first, I was completely unable to visualize the way blood and Qi flowed through the body, and even further unable to understand the profound mysteries of how to control it.

Next, it will move from Flying Dragon point to Perching Tiger point. Then from this radial artery position, it will disperse to the Major Nine Mountains artery.

I couldnt stop myself from touching Masters Flying Dragon point. This is Central Temple point? I asked. All the wuxia novels call it Chest Center point. [59]

Master twisted my ear. Use your brain to think for a moment. If the records of the martial world were all real, then the streets would be filled with martial arts masters! Some profound secrets cannot be randomly written down in books at the book store. Chest Center point? No, no, no. This is the one and only Flying Dragon point, the first of the bodys Ten Great Acupuncture Points.

I felt a little confused and uneasy.

Masters martial arts were extremely powerful, that was absolutely true.

But his head was muddled. That was also without a doubt.

Using masters technique to circulate Qi through the acupuncture points could be very dangerous. Flying Dragon point? What kind of lamebrain name was that? Kooky! More like 10 Great Lumps of Crap. To take the word of a lunatic at straight value might lead me to practice until I had a brain hemorrhage.

Why are you daydreaming? Did I say too much? Master paused. First lead your Qi to the Zebra point above your navel, then Ill continue.

I shook my head and said, This is hard. Lets wait until after the monthly test to study.

Master started. What? Regardless of anything, you must forge ahead vigorously and consistently with your kung fu. Otherwise, how can you become the master of the generation?

Master, I said helplessly, Im happy to be even just 1% as powerful as you.

Masters face changed color. Why?

A little scared, I carefully said, Its good enough to just have a healthy body, and not worry about getting bullied.

Master grabbed the bookshelf, gripping the corner between his finger and thumb. You are a student! The student must surpass the master! At the very least you should be able to defeat me single-handedly. [60]

That scared me. Ill work hard, I said quickly.

Master grasped my shoulder and, in a reprimanding tone, said, Swear it!

I was really worried Master would rip my shoulder muscle in two, so I hurriedly said, I swear that I will be more powerful than Master!

He released me and said, I dont want to threaten you or force you. Its merely that justice requires extremely powerful martial arts.

I nodded vigorously. Master could see that I was afraid. Fear not, he said. First I will help you to experience the feeling of Qi flowing and rushing through the various locations within your veins and tendons. You will become accustomed to it eventually.

Master sat behind me cross-legged and placed his right hand on between my shoulders. I immediately felt something adhering to my back, like a ball of fire, warm and gentle.

Relax, close your eyes, and concentrate, continued Master. This ball of fire is my inner force. In a moment, it will begin to flow through your veins and arteries.

I felt the ball of fire slowly moving toward the Celestial Gathering [61] point at the back of my shoulder (Master called it the True Man point.) I was quite surprised. Next the fireball moved down toward the Life Gate point [62] (Master said this was the second of the bodys Ten Great Acupuncture Points, Frigid Residence point). It felt really good.

Masters hand did not follow the movement of the fireball. He used a very strange gesture to control the inner force. I recalled what master had just instructed. At the moment, regardless of how strange the names of the acupuncture points, the warm flow of the inner force proved true everything Master had said.

The feel of the flowing Qi was like that of a boiling hot snake, boring smoothly through one acupuncture point after another, from one artery to the next, each feeling different from the previous.

Next, it will arrive at Flying Dragon point. This is a very important acupuncture point. Master continued, After that, it will infuse into Perching Tiger point, which will be very shocking. Do not be frightened!

I wasnt sure if I was allowed to open my mouth or not. The fireball had already condensed in my Chest Central point, right, Flying Dragon point, and my chest was filled with a feeling of pressure. The surging Qi boiled in the center of my chest, and then, I could not prevent myself from calling out!

Ahhh

I shouted out happily. It was simply impossible to resist the vigorous feeling. The inner force surged from Flying Dragon point into Perching Tiger point. Every part of my frame felt completely revitalized.

Good, very good! The other night, I did not dare to wake you, so I only slightly stimulated your acupuncture points. Therefore you slept very deeply. Master continued, Next, I will dispatch the inner force from the Major Nine Mountains artery to all of the acupuncture points in your whole body. This will constitute a complete circulation of acupuncture point development, very beneficial.

Masters inner force gradually spread out throughout my entire body.

Do you want to try out a peerless martial art?

Yes!

A new type of inner force, a huge ball of fire, once again clamped onto my back. This version was much much larger than the previous one. Master said, I will impart to you a universe-shocking lost art of the martial world, the Heaven Reaching Primary Destruction Hand!

The fireball shot into the Celestial Spring point on my right arm, then to Marsh at the Bend, Spirit Gate, Intermediary Courier, Inner Pass, Great Mound, and finally to the Palace of Toil in the middle of my palm and Central Hub point at the tip of my finger. [63] If you translate that into Masters patented terminology, it would be Nighttime Song, Nine Fragments, Ox Breath, Flat Ring, Seedling Chestnut, Guarding Flank and finally to Ascending Tide in the middle of the palm and Shifting Heaven on the fingertip.

I couldnt help but stretch my arms out straight. It felt very natural.

Push down anywhere. Masters voice was filled with satisfaction. His hand left my back.

Its not dangerous? I asked. Do I need to hit hard?

Just push the wall lightly, he replied bruskly.

I pushed against the wall lightly, allowing the fireball transmitted to me by Master to vibrate my palm.

Ahh! I cried out lightly in alarm.

Amazing, is it not? This is just one of the lost arts of our Heaven Reaching Sect. Masters voice was vigorous and filled with power.

[59] Im not sure how other translators usually translate this into English. Perhaps Dan Zhong is another common translation. http://goo.gl/eAN8n3
    [60] What he says here is based on a common Chinese idiom that is impossible to translate directly. The meaning of the phrase is the student surpasses the teacher. Directly translated it is blue comes from the indigo plant but is bluer than the plant itself. If you directly translate what Master says it would be something like, You must be blue that comes from the indigo plant! And even more so, you must surpass me.
    [61] Celestial Gathering point: http://goo.gl/8z5NhY
    [62] Life Gate point: http://goo.gl/ULBp7
    [63] Here are links to all the actual acupuncture points: Celestial Spring http://goo.gl/QU1PYP, Marsh at the Bend http://goo.gl/WYBczY, Spirit Gate http://goo.gl/PzNocx, Intermediary Courier http://goo.gl/BHccgV, Inner Pass http://goo.gl/drNazJ, Great Mound http://goo.gl/H2ONFp, Palace of Toil http://goo.gl/zgzZLa, Central Hub http://goo.gl/mJJ7ak.
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-27-14 at 11:08 PM. Reason: fixed tons of mistakes and made changes suggested by WesY2K,

Thanks deathblade

Thanks. Enjoying this nice tale...