Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thank you so much for this!!!

Some things I found you might want to consider:

Bam! (2)
    I only knew that he was old man who possessed amazing powers.
    was an old

With a laugh, he said, It doesnt matter. Sleeping in trees is another type of kung fu. Sooner or later you will need to do it to.
    to do it too."

Things went back to they way they used to be with Yi Jing. We talked and laughed.
    ...to the way they...

Bam! (3)
    Master, I said hurriedly, I want to know more about you, and I want to more about the Heaven Reaching Sect.
    ...and I want to know more about the Heaven Reaching Sect.

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Well, related to this book: you could start reading the "Legend of the Swordsman from Mount Zu" series by Huanzhulouzhu. ;-)
    Haha good idea.

http://book.kanunu.org/book/4765/
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks so much for all your translation effort, Deathblade!

You have to tell me sometime what all these **** mean ;-)
    Hahahahahaha 少儿不宜

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Hahahahahaha 少儿不宜
    Bing translate result is Unrated.
    少儿不 宜 (shao4 er2 bu4 yi2) = Not suitable for children.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    Bing translate result is Unrated.
    少儿不 宜 (shao4 er2 bu4 yi2) = Not suitable for children.
    Haha yeah.

"Unrated"??? A good example of why reading books using bing or google translate is risky. Actually I've found that baidu translate seems to be a bit better than the others sometimes.

Wow, this Yuan Zai exhibits some amazing spidey senses. Could be a mutant if not bitten by a spider. Ha, love how the author is not afraid to ridicule the revered Shaolin temple. By the way comsummate was misspelled.

Maybe (don't know for sure) the Shaolin fact comes from another Giddens Ko novel called "The 8th Bronze Man of Shaolin". In that a boy wants to be a proud Shaolin monk and when he reaches the monastery he finds monks eating meat and hanging out with prostitutes. Shaolin Temple started accepting any rich kid as a student in order to get generous donations, and the rich kids dont really want to give up on meat and sex, and well it influences the whole institution.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    Wow, this Yuan Zai exhibits some amazing spidey senses. Could be a mutant if not bitten by a spider. Ha, love how the author is not afraid to ridicule the revered Shaolin temple. By the way comsummate was misspelled.
    Haha yeah, that's exactly my thoughts! Thanks for the catch, I fixed it.

Maybe (don't know for sure) the Shaolin fact comes from another Giddens Ko novel called "The 8th Bronze Man of Shaolin". In that a boy wants to be a proud Shaolin monk and when he reaches the monastery he finds monks eating meat and hanging out with prostitutes. Shaolin Temple started accepting any rich kid as a student in order to get generous donations, and the rich kids dont really want to give up on meat and sex, and well it influences the whole institution.
    Maybe either a reference or a theme? I'm not sure I would label it as a fact, though...

Bam! (4)

Ah Yis mouth hung wide open.

I almost burst out laughing, but I still wanted to hear more of Masters ridiculous tales.

He held his arms behind his back and paced back and forth. Not long after, the great Founder spent a lot of money to help Shaolin get rid of the 72 Consumate Prostitutes. Afterwards, Shaolin slowly recovered and began to grow again. At that time, the great Founder set himself up at Yingcai Peak. He gathered thirteen disciples, every one extraordinarily talented. In Jianghu they came to be known as the Heaven Reaching 13 Officials. They were quite the competition for the 7 Heroes of Wudang. [77]

Master looked outside the hole, seemingly in a trance. Within the 13 Officials, the first ranking senior disciple was surnamed Chen. His given name was Jiexuan. [78] He was an upright man with expert sword technique and matchless in inner arts. After defeating Chu Liuxiang [79] on Mount Hua [80], everyone in Jianghu started to call him The guy who defeated Chu Liuxiang. He was my master. When you calculate it, I am a third generation disciple of the Heaven Reaching Sect.

As Master talked, tears covered his face and he knelt to his knees, offering prayerful respect to distant memories.

[77] The Seven Heroes of Wudang appear in Jin Yongs fiction http://goo.gl/oP6yqc
    [78] Chen Jiexuans name is 陈介玄 chn ji xun
    [79] Chu Liuxiang is the protagonist of series of books by Gu Long. http://goo.gl/8VtUrX
    [80] Mount Hua is one of the five most famous mountains in China, and also a fictional location of some important martial arts competitions http://goo.gl/qBiF
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-28-14 at 11:24 AM. Reason: minor change

A short update, sorry. But that ends the "Bam!" chapters. Next up is a long series of chapters entitled "Lan Jin." Some really cool stuff coming up. Here's a sneak preview:

Lan Jin (1)

But there was something that left me quite puzzled.

Thats not quite right. Master, how could you be a third generation disciple? Without even calculating carefully I could tell that the time element was a bit preposterous.

Ah Yi also seemed to gain his senses. Yeah. My history is pretty bad, but Im pretty sure the end of the Yuan Dynasty and the beginning of the Ming dynasty was a really long time ago.

Thanks deathblade

After the Bam,the Boom Boom is next? Thks deathblade.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Haha yeah.

"Unrated"??? A good example of why reading books using bing or google translate is risky. Actually I've found that baidu translate seems to be a bit better than the others sometimes.
    Yeah, imagine the terrors of reading Stellar Transformation using google translate.

Here are a few examples:
    - extended ink, were dead, thread made ​​real, cable force, stand children, ross perrot, pingzhuang bell, stuart blood, weeks pass, etc (all of them are character's names)
    - Happening Magic Jinnai, Houtu India, Ukiyo India, etc (all are names of things)
    - maronite, petrochemical, Indiana, Ray Wang Valkyrie, etc (random pick, I'm too lazy to find out)

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    Yeah, imagine the terrors of reading Stellar Transformation using google translate.

Here are a few examples:
    - extended ink, were dead, thread made ​​real, cable force, stand children, ross perrot, pingzhuang bell, stuart blood, weeks pass, etc (all of them are character's names)
    - Happening Magic Jinnai, Houtu India, Ukiyo India, etc (all are names of things)
    - maronite, petrochemical, Indiana, Ray Wang Valkyrie, etc (random pick, I'm too lazy to find out)
    This is pretty hilarious. My favorite is "Ross Perrot!" Hahahaha

Lan Jin (1)

But there was something that left me quite puzzled.

Thats not quite right. Master, how could you be a third generation disciple? Without even calculating carefully I could tell that the time element was a bit preposterous.

Ah Yi also seemed to gain his senses. Yeah. My history is pretty bad, but Im pretty sure the end of the Yuan Dynasty and the beginning of the Ming Dynasty [81] was a really long time ago.

I suddenly thought of a possibility. Maybe master happened to get ahold of Founder Chens handwritten secret manuals, and that was how you learned all you awesome kung fu?

Master shook his head painfully. I most certainly am Heaven Reaching Sect Master Chens senior disciple, and all my kung fu was painstakingly taught to me directly by him. He carved me out one palm at a time. Ai, there was much pain and suffering that occurred in the past. The affairs of human life are profound and strange, and the lessons we learn cannot be avoided.

I still didnt understand, and could only ask, Did Founder Chen live a really long time?

Master leaned against the wall, tears streaming down his face. Master Chen met with great catastrophe, and he only lived to fifty-four years of age.

Ah Yi and I were completely befuddled, not sure what to ask.

If our Master was personally taught by his Master, wouldnt that mean he was born during the Ming Dynasty? It seemed that he was once again spouting nonsense.

He wiped his tears away and said, Yuan Zai, do you think Master is a lunatic?

I shook my head, ignoring my true thoughts. Master, you are a great person. Youre not a lunatic.

He blew his nose with a laugh. Actually, the past few decades, Ive been called a lunatic wherever I went. When all is said and done, the average person would have no way to accept the story I am about to tell.

I thought about everything that had happened to me, and how no one had believed me. It had been so painful and lonely. So I sincerely said, Master, no matter what you say, I will believe you!

His eyes glistened. Really?

I nodded my head. Even if no one else under heaven believes, Ah Yi and I will stand by you.

Ah Yi could only agree with me. Correct, he said grudgingly.

Next, Master let out a deep sigh, and then tirelessly recounted a horrific, blood-soaked story from the histories of the martial world.

I was the son of an ordinary peasant, and I lived in Huang Clan Village, the eldest of my siblings. Dad and Mom called me Ah Jun [82]. It was a very dignified name, not randomly picked like Ah Mao or Ah Gou [83]. Dad took my astrological name chart to the local teacher and begged him to help select it. They had deep expectations for me.

At that time, I worked in the field all day with the villagers. If God favoured us, we would eat a little more. If the county Mandarin or the landlord were in a bad mood, we would eat a little less. When the busy season was over, I would take my brothers along with some of the neighbors children into the woods to play. Since I was a bit older, I of course was the ringleader.

One afternoon, I led everyone into a scuffle with the neighbouring Li Clan Village. Afterwards, when we came out of the woods, we happened across a burly man laying concealed in the bushes. Everyone was afraid he was dead, and scattered in fear. Only I had the nerve to climb forward and check out the situation. I saw that his shoulder, chest, and belly were soaked with blood. His eyes were wide open; he was most likely dead.

I moved closer, thinking that maybe I would be able to find some money, when suddenly he blinked, and said with a laugh, Youve got a lot guts, little buddy.

I was so scared my legs became weak. I wasnt sure if he was a man or a ghost.

The big man laughed happily. Im a person. And Im a good person. You dont need to be afraid.

Id never seen a ghost before, but since it was broad daylight and the man was laughing, my dread lessened by about half. Nervously, I said, Whats wrong with you?

Derisively, he said, Cant you see that Ive been injured, buddy? Theres no need to pay any attention to me. Go hide somewhere far away. If my enemies come back, they might take your little life!

As I listened, I felt quite nervous. You think Im some kind of coward?

Beads of sweat covered the mans face, but he still laughed. Even though my injury is pretty serious, my enemies wont benefit from returning. At the worst, we will die together. If youre really not afraid of death, kid, then great. Here, take this!

He pulled out three heavy gold ingots and said, Take it. One of them is for traveling expenses. The other two are my expression of thanks. Go to Yingcai Peak for me. Tell the leader of the Heaven Reaching Sect that the unworthy disciple Jie Xuan has let him down. Hes a dyed-in-the-wool true man, but sadly, he wont be able to dispatch any more local strongmen. He must depart, and the next time he meets the other heroes will be in the afterlife!

I took the gold and listened. Hearing his awe-inspiring speech really moved me; tears seeped from my eyes.

The big man laughed and pulled out some pieces of silver. Dont worry, little buddy. Look, I still have some silver left. I plan to spend it on the way back to Yingcai Peak.

He laughed, and then coughed up some dark blood.

I gritted my teeth. Yuancai Peak is too far. Ive never even gone farther than the woods before.

The man seemed shocked. With a laugh he said, Well thats really too bad. But you have some gold now. Youre rich! Come on, get going, quickly.

I shook my head, grabbing the big man and helping him up. He was surprised, and was about to start speaking but I cut him off: Are you looking down on me?

He laughed helplessly. He let me support him, and we staggered together toward a nearby brook to wash him clean of the stench of blood. I scrounged up some skinny sweat potatoes and handed them to the man.

Chewing on the sweet potatoes, he gripped my hand weakly, and laughingly said, Its a true pleasure to be able to meet a true man like you before I die.

That made me very happy. We chatted for a while, and then I finally understood how he had come to be injured.

It turned out the man was a chivalrous expert of the martial world. He had sacrificed much to slay the Sword Devil of the Central Plains Chu Liuxiang. Afterwards, all the devils of the unorthodox sects of the twin provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi had joined together in an alliance to kill him. The man was hit by a sneak attack palm from Ouyang Feng, and also struck in the back by Zhang Wujis Thunderbolt Club [84]. Therefore, he was forced to flee. He traveled in secret until he could not hold out any longer, and collapsed.

Dont worry. Ouyang Feng and Zhang Wuji both were struck by my palm. They also need to recover. The rest of the unorthodox gremlins and clowns are nothing. If they show up in pairs, Ill kill them in pairs. As he spoke, he coughed up blood.

[81] The Ming was the second to the last of the Chinese Imperial Dynasties http://goo.gl/Gch2j6
    [82] This character 骏 jun means a fine horse.
    [83] Mao and Gou are the characters for cat and dog
    [84] Ouyang Feng and Zhang Wuji are both major characters in Jin Yong novels. Ouyang Feng is a super-powerful villain and Zhang Wuji is the protagonist of his novel. They both come from different eras. Ouyang Feng: http://goo.gl/MN7yLJ Zhang Wuji: http://goo.gl/OnAZ0T

Thanks deathblade

Thks deathblade...

thanks...the story does throw me off when he use characters name from other series..hahaha
    it kind of remind me of a stephen chow movie

Every tale from the master is reallyinteresting