Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks deathblade

Lan Jin (2)

After sunset, under the cover of darkness, I secretly helped the man into the village.

So that man was Founder Jiexuan, and thats how he took you as his disciple? I asked.

Master ignored me and proceeded at his own pace to recount his memories from the Ming Dynasty.

When Dad saw me carrying a half dead guy into the room, he didnt hit or curse me, but instead helped me carry him to the bed to rest. And then he asked me where the man had come from. I told him, and he praised me, saying Id handled matters in a big-hearted and straightforward manner, just like a true man. He was very happy.

The man lay in bed with a high fever for three days. Once he was finally able to get up and move around, he starting taking daily doses of herbal medicine that dad boiled up. His body gradually began to recover. By the seventh day, presumably because of his profound inner force, he was almost completely better. He gave us the three gold ingots to express his gratitude, expressing his desire to leave the village. He wished to avoid drawing his enemies here and causing problems for the Huang Clan Village.

Dad grabbed me and we knelt in front of him. Dad begged him to take me as a disciple, to turn me into an indomitable true man. He didnt want me to grow up to be a land-tilling peasant.

The man agreed happily. He said that even though I wasnt necessarily prime material to practice martial arts, I possessed something more important: a chivalrous heart. He would be lucky to be my master.

I still remember that day. I stood behind my master, dumbfounded, slowly walking out of Huang Clan Village. Dad pulled along mom, her eyes filled with tears, and a bunch of my friends stood at the village gate weeping. My youngest sister pulled my hand, urging me not to leave, tears streaming from her eyes, her nose running. I wanted to stay in the Huang Clan Village and till the earth for the rest of my life. But when I saw the hope in Dads eyes, I was unable to shed a tear.

When the ringleader of the kids from Li Clan Village heard that I was leaving to study kung fu, he brought a bunch of children out of to wait for me. As soon as he saw me with master, the ringleader, whose name was Li Daquan, heroically set a pact with me. After studying martial arts for ten years, I would return, and we would have a contest.

After we clasped hands to seal the pact, I caught sight of the girl from Li Clan Village who I liked. She hid behind a large tree, wiping away her tears. She was the prettiest girl in the village. Everyone called her Hua Maoer, and she was Li Daquans younger sister. I loved her cute dimples, and the way she was as bashful as a little cat. [85]

Ai, as soon as I saw her tears, my tears flowed.

When Li Daquan saw that, he told me in a tough voice that if I defeated him ten years from now, he would give me her hand in marriage. Hearing his promise made me feel even more dejected. Ai, if I returned to the village ten years later, how could Hua Maoer even remember me? She was so pretty, she would surely have long since married someone else.

And then, Master suddenly lowered his head and asked me if I liked Hua Maoer. I nodded, and Master let out a hearty laugh and slapped my head. How about this. Lets stay in the village to practice martial arts. Otherwise, in ten years time, Hua Maoer might marry someone else, and then youll stare at me constantly with that look of pain!

I listened, listened to Master laughingly say: I owe you my life. And kung fu is kung fu, no matter where you practice it. The methods are the same whether we are in Huang Clan Village or Yingcai Peak. Since you love Hua Maoer, lets stay in the village, that way you can make a great impression on everyone!

I kneeled to the ground in gratitude, kowtowing three times, hitting my head hard against the ground, swearing to diligently practice martial arts, eliminate traitors and destroy evil.

And then I returned with Master to Huang Clan Village. Mom happily slaughtered chickens and a pig, and Dad was unable to conceal his happiness. Yet, I couldnt help but nervously ask Master, What happens if those bastards come? What will we do?

Master walked toward a large slab of stone and, with a laugh, chopped it into four pieces. Im already 80% recovered. If they have the guts to show up, they wont be able to leave with their lives. He called some villagers over to help him move the pieces of stone to the village gate. He wrote five characters on them with chicken blood to serve as a warning: Chen Jiexuans Grass Palm.

As it turned out, for the following three months, the bastards didnt have the guts to come seek after Masters life. Master industriously instructed me in the secrets of martial arts. Finally one evening when we were finished practicing, we sat there in the village singing songs. And Master quietly told me that one night when the villagers were fast asleep, during his routine of watching over the village, he had found the villains, come to seek their revenge. Hed landed a deadly palm on each, but in the darkness, Ouyang Feng and Zhang Wuji had fled, severely injured. So master had written a letter to Yingcai Peak, asking two of his fellow disciples to come help.

A year passed, and my martial arts were progressing. The two martial uncles arrived. They were Wang Zhenhuan, Second Uncle Wang, and Zhang Weian, Third Uncle Wang. They were both extremely high level martial artists and incomparable heroes. When they arrived at the village gate, they carried in their hands the heads of Ouyang Feng and Zhang Wuji!

Thusly, Master and Masters fellow disciples came to live in the Huang Clan Village. During the day they would instruct me in martial arts, and sometimes help the villagers with their farming. Those days were the happiest of my life.

Even though practicing martial arts was very difficult, every day Hua Maoer would bring tea for me and stand by, watching me practice. When Master and I grew tired, she would serve us. Everyone in both villages was talking about when we should get married. Whenever I saw her, bashfully biting her lip, my heart felt like it would explode.

The winter wind blew in through the hole in my bedroom, freezing Masters words.

A long time passed, and Master said nothing.

I thought back to the sweet moment today when Yi Jing had secretly clasped my hand and we had walked down Ba Gua mountain together.

Master must have been just as happy back then.

Master, what happened after that? I asked.

After that Masters palm shot out, making a strange sound in the emptiness.

After that, how could you live all the way from the Ming Dynasty until now, the year 1986 A.D.? I asked, fearing Master was going to go crazy.

Master suddenly let out a furious howl, long and unending. Ah Yi and I were so frightened by the booming noise that we contracted into ourselves. We watched as master screamed and attacked the air with his palm. His inner force mobilized along with his attack and the room filled with a rushing, thunder-like sound. Qi energy screamed.

Master had never gone this crazy before. I saw that his furious eyes were swollen with grief. His tears had transcended time, from the ancient Ming Dynasty, they dripped into the lonesome year of 1986.

Had master gone crazy?

[85] The characters of her name Hua Mao literally means calico cat, and he uses the same two characters here to describe her.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-11-15 at 07:15 AM. Reason: wording changes in a few places, replaced some missing words
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks again.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Lan Jin (3)

I didnt think so.

Master was just too hurt.

At last he stopped, and didnt move at all.

Should we run? mouthed Ah Yi nervously. Hed shrunk back into the quilt.

Forcing himself to speak calmly, Master said, Yuan Zai, I havent taught you sword techniques yet, have I?

I nodded, and then Master casually broke apart my wooden chair and hoisted one of the chair legs. If a sword techniques ingenuity lies in its movements, then it is a second-rate technique. If the sword technique is fundamentally without technique, then the power of the sword is matchless and invincible.

As he spoke, Master lifted up the chair leg and slashed it toward the concrete wall next to the bed! His aura of death was astonishing.

Ah Yi and I watched as the a large fissure appeared in the wall, which was on the other side of the room.

I knew.

I knew that the wall next to the bed was destroyed.

With only the tap of a fingertip, it would collapse in half.

If a room only has two walls, it really cant be called a room.

It should be called a cave.

Ah Yi stared dumbly at the mark left by the sword on the wall and said, The sword aura did that?

I stared at Master, my mouth hanging wide. He looked somewhat apologetic.

I am sorry, he said guiltily. I really do not feel well at heart. He put down the chair leg.

Dont worry about it, I said, somewhat dazed. One cannot get something new without first getting rid of the old.

Do you want to me to continue? asked Master.

Ah Yi didnt dare to make a sound, but I decidedly voice my opinion: Yes! I dashed downstairs and grabbed some tangerine Fanta and HeySong Sarsaparilla [86] from the refrigerator, then hurried back to my cave room.

That year With a heavy heart, Master recounted the sorrowful events of the past. It was not just two uncles who arrived in Huang Clan Village. They brought with them their disciples. Third Master Uncle Zhangs discipleShan Renshu [87]. And also Second Master Uncle Wangs disciple

Masters eyes flashed with a hatred I had never before seen. In an instant my entire body was engulfed with a deep feeling of enmity.

It was an energy even more profound than an aura of death.

Master painfully uttered the name of Second Master Uncle Wangs disciple, and the soda in the mug suddenly boiled over.

Lan Jin. [88]

Lan Jin, a person Mater had detested for three hundred years.

A person who many years later I would long to hunt down and kill.

Lan Jin? Hes the bad guy? I asked, watching Masters trembling hands.

Hes not a person, said Master coldly.

By the time I reached seventeen years of age, I had already studied martial arts for five years. Thanks to Masters daily training, my martial arts werent bad. Seeing me train so hard made him very happy. He would often grab me and Hua Maoer by the hand, sit us under a tree, and tell us stories, many fascinating stories about his time wandering Jianghu. I learned much of the history of the martial world in this way.

Master Uncle Wang and Master Uncle Zhang also settled down in the village. Master Uncle Zhang even ended up marrying one of the village girls, who gave birth to a plump baby. Master Uncle Zhangs disciple Shan Renshu had studied martial arts with him from a very young age. When I was seventeen years old, he was twenty-one, and had already assimilated most of Master Uncle Zhangs teachings. And Master Uncle Wangs discipleLan Jin, was only fifteen. He also had studied from a very young age with Master Uncle Wang. He usually didnt speak, and the strangest thing was, his progress in martial arts was frightening. At fifteen, he was above both myself and Renshu. He overflowed with talent, so much so that sometimes even Master Uncle Wang was not sure how much he was capable of. His potential seemed limitless, completely unfathomable.

One day, when Master Uncle Wang returned from a neighboring province, he bore with him a first task for us three youngsters: Deliver a warning to the Guangnan Tiger Ferry horse thief gang. [89] They must disperse immediately.

As soon as I heard, I was nervous. After all, I had no actual combat experience. But Master told me that my kung fu was good enough, and as a noble martial artist, the time had come for me to venture out into the world.

And so, two days later, early in the morning, Renshu, Lan Jin and I packed our traveling bags. I said goodbye to Mom and Dad, then headed off for Guangnan.

At that time, Hua Maoer, the girl I loved, stood at the forest entrance outside the village, seeing me off. She sang a traditional love song from the Li Clan village, pledging her love. Ai Hua Maoer was a shy girl and her face flushed red as she sang. The lyrics explained that she would wait for me to return, and when I did, she would be mine! I watched her silhouette slowly fade away, but her song echoed in my ears. I rode on the back of a horse, my hand tightly gripping the sword that Master had given me. My two fellow disciples and I were devoted wholeheartedly to rooting out evil. But soon I would return to reunite with Hua Maoer.

When we arrived at the Guangnan Tiger Ferry, we three disciples found a run-down temple, where we began to discuss how to follow Master and Master Uncles instructions to avoid using violence in dispersing the wicked horse thief gang. Renshu and I felt that it would be quite difficult, considering our opponents comprised over one hundred trained experts. Their chieftain was Ren Woxing, [90] a master of the Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms. Trying to talk reason to a person like that was setting oneself up to be rejected. And to take direct action would be like throwing an egg against a rock. To make matters worse, the local officials had already been bought off by the horse thieves. If we attacked and failed, there would be nowhere to hide in Guangnan.

The first test Master had arranged for us in Jianghu was quite dangerous, and it showed how high his expectations were in the three of us. The situation was dire, but as Renshu and I discussed our feelings, our spirits grew higher and higher.

The whole night, Lan Jin just listened to us coolly. He did not utter a single word, and finally Renshu and I just went to sleep. The next morning when the rooster crowed, we woke up and discovered that Lan Jin was nowhere to be found.

We waited for him for the amount of time it takes an incense stick to burn, but he never returned. Renshu figured he might have gone to the horse thieves stockade camp to scout it out. So we left behind a secret message for him in case he returned, picked up our weapons, and hurried to the vicinity of the horse thief camp, worried that Lan Jin might be in danger.

To our surprise, when we arrived at the thieves stockade, we saw the corpses of several horse thieves lying outside the entrance. All had been slain by a sword, and the techniques used to make the wounds seemed vaguely like the Heaven Reaching Cloud Dispersing Sword. It turned out that Lan Jin had taken advantage of the time we spent sleeping to charge alone into the stockaded village!

And then, Renshu and I could hear pleas of mercy coming from off in the distance. We mobilized our Qi and dashed toward the sounds. Soon we caught sight of Lan Jin, standing next to a pond, his body covered in blood.

[86] This is a Taiwanese beverage http://goo.gl/yuVyrI
    [87] Shan Renshus name is 单人书 shn rn shū. Ren means person, and shu means book.
    [88] Lan Jins name is 蓝金 ln jīn. Lan means blue and jin means gold.
    [89] Guangnan is located in Yunnan http://tinyurl.com/kr4uxo9
    [90] Ren Woxing is one of the main protagonists of Smiling Proud Wanderer. He never used Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms http://tinyurl.com/ogkugmz
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-04-14 at 11:14 PM. Reason: inserted a missing word

FYI there are 9 Lan Jin sections, and then that will finish up part 3.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks!!!!

Their chieftain was Ren Woxing, [90] a master of the Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms.

Ren, you devil, you. Now trying to be chieftain in this forum...
    Last edited by ycb5959; 06-04-14 at 11:59 PM.

Thks deathblade ... interesting blend of wuxia characters...

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks!!!!

Their chieftain was Ren Woxing, [90] a master of the Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms.

Lol. Yeah, I couldn't help but think along these lines as I was translating.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Thks deathblade ... interesting blend of wuxia characters...
    Yeah. As this Lan Jin story arc finishes up, it actually makes more sense to me why the author is doing this... You'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks!!!!

I don't think so ycb5959. The other Ren has his hands full as the Master of the Coiled Dragon Subduing Palms.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    I don't think so ycb5959. The other Ren has his hands full as the Master of the Coiled Dragon Subduing Palms.
    Hahaha! Awesome.

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Yeah. As this Lan Jin story arc finishes up, it actually makes more sense to me why the author is doing this... You'll see...
    I thought perhaps Master suffered fire deviation. Or, it was Yuan Zai's quest to correct/unscramble the martial arts universe.

Another minor edit: "My two fellow disciples and I were devoted" Change to "my two martial brothers"?

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    I thought perhaps Master suffered fire deviation. Or, it was Yuan Zai's quest to correct/unscramble the martial arts universe.

Another minor edit: "My two fellow disciples and I were devoted" Change to "my two martial brothers"?
    I know it's pretty common to translate it as "martial brother" but the word in Chinese doesn't really have a direct connection to martial arts, only to two students (or apprentices or disciples) of the same master.

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detai...E5%BC%9F/37387
    http://fanyi.baidu.com/#zh/en/%E5%B8...85%84%E5%BC%9F
    http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=dijx...Sj1ypyCTUKoKlA
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-05-14 at 11:38 PM.

Lan Jin (4)

As I think about it now, the scene was truly shocking. Renshu vomited, and my legs began to tremble. Hacked up corpses filled the large pond. Bodies lay in piles everywhere and the stench of blood filled the air. If the bodies hadnt been wearing clothing, it would have been impossible to tell whether they were people or animals.

Lan Jin caught sight of the two of us. His normally pale face was even grimmer than normal and he held two short swords in his hands. He threw one of them over to me and pointed at the horse thief chieftain Ren Woxing, who sat next to him, acupuncture points sealed, unable to move. He meant for me to make the final move together with him.

I didnt pick up Lan Jins short sword, because Ren Woxings appearance was just too miserable.

His eyes had been bored out, and all ten of his fingers sliced off sliced into thirty pieces. The major arteries in his body had been crushed, and his skin was covered with sword slashes. The soles of his feet had been hacked into mincemeat, his tongue cut out and stuffed into one of his empty eye sockets. It was more than miserable. He was more than half dead.

I sealed all the acupuncture points in his body and stopped his blood vessels. You two can cut him for the time it takes two incense sticks to burn and he still wont die, said Lan Jin coldly. He chopped off Ren Woxings hand with his short sword. Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms, only so-so.

Off to the side, Renshu vomited until tears streamed out of his eyes. I couldnt hold back from loudly rebuking Lan Jin: These arent the actions of a hero! This is torture! What kind of a man are you?

Lan Jin didnt argue with me. He was absorbed in cutting off Ren Woxings earlobe. When I saw that, I flew into a rage. I picked up the short sword and stabbed Ren Woxing through the heart, helping him to escape the suffering.

On the way back to the temple, Renshu and I voiced our strong displeasure with Lan Jins ruthless methods. Actually, when Master saw us off, he had admonished us three times to hold back our power when fighting, and refrain from taking lives as much as possible. The purpose of the trip was to break up the horse thief gang, not to completely eradicate them. In those dark times of complete government corruption, many young people were forcefully conscripted into bandit gangs. Usually just taking out the leader was enough.

Lan Jin said nothing. His expression was empty, no different than usual. It seemed he wasnt listening at all to our scolding and admonishing. And so the three of us headed back to Huang Clan Village, the atmosphere between us very low.

When we arrived at Huang Clan Village, Renshu told Master and Master Uncles everything. Of course, Master Uncle Wang rebuked Lan Jin severely. But Lan Jin didnt seem to have any feeling about the matter at all. He sat quietly as Master Uncle Wang gave him a sound thrashing. He didnt resist or offer any argument.

In any case, we returned home to the village safely. Dad and Mom took me to the Li Clan Village to offer a marriage proposal to Hua Maoers father. Ha. Matters between me and Hua Maoer had been decided by the two villages long ago. And so our two families decided that next month, on the fifteenth, when the moon was full, we would marry. That day when we got engaged was the happiest time of my life. I smiled so hard even a sword couldnt wipe it from my face.

Two days after the engagement, Master received a message by carrier pigeon from Yingcai Peak. It said that Devil Sect leaders Tianshan Tonglao [91] and Lu Xiaofeng [92] had attacked the headquarters of our Heaven Reaching Sect. Master and Master Uncles were to return as quickly as possible to render assistance. And so Master and Master Uncle Zhang took me and Renshu back to the mountain. We left behind Master Uncle Wang and Lan Jin, who was still being punished, to protect the village.

As we left, Hua Maoer stood like always in the trees by the village entrance. Her eyes red, she sang a love song, praying that I return safely, so that we could finally get married. As I rode on my swiftly galloping horse, I listened to Hua Maoers gentle singing voice, and I silently swore an oath that no matter how dangerous it got, I would return safely to the village!

When we got to Yingcai Peak, the battle raged fiercely. The auras of death were extremely fierce. If I had encountered such violent auras three years before, I wouldnt have been able to even stand up. But now, I had no choice but to ward off the blows of the savage disciples who attacked me.

Master and I charged across the hillside, which was inundated with sword auras. I used each and every technique I had learned in the past five years to knock down one enemy after another. But there were just too many of them, and they were too powerful. Six Martial Uncles died, all extremely powerful martial arts masters, not to mention many fellow disciples of my generation.

Luckily, Master had already practiced Heaven Reaching Primary Destruction Hand to its pinnacle. At a critical moment, he used three moves to strike down the great Devil Sect leader Tianshan Tonglao. Fifth Master Uncle sacrificed himself in a mutual palm attack with Lu Xiaofeng and they dropped dead together. With their leaders lost, our enemies fled down the mountain.

After the enemies retreated, I realized that my body was covered with wounds, and that I had sustained serious internal injuries. Only by relying on the memory of Hua Maoer singing had I been able to fight calmly.

The great battle was concluded, but the Heaven Reaching Sect had suffered great casualties. The Founder commanded us to disperse in different directions to seek healing. This would prevent our enemies from returning to Yingcai Peak to seek revenge while we recovered. And so Master, Master Uncle Zhang, myself and Renshu decided to hurry back to Huang Clan Village to recuperate. All Sect members would all meet back at Yingcai Peak in one year.

Master had sustained injuries, but on the road back, he infused me with his most pure inner force to help me recover first. We cant have a sick and feeble bridegroom, he said. You need to be glowing with health, otherwise your mom and dad will blame me!

Master Uncle Zhang and Renshu had also received injuries, but nothing very serious. We arrived back at Huang Clan Village on the fourteenth. The next day was my marriage to Hua Maoer.

I rode on my horse, watching the Huang Clan Village gate getting closer and closer, and my heart surged with happiness. Master and Master Uncle were also very happy for me. But unexpectedly

Master suddenly stopped talking at this point. Tears covered his face.

What happened at the Huang Clan Village? I felt somewhat frightened, even though Master was describing something that had happened long ago in the Ming Dynasty.

Master nodded his head. Wrapping his arms around me, he wailed, All dead! Everyone in the Huang Clan Village, completely exterminated! Master Uncle Wangs head had been placed on the broken rock by the village gate. Both his eyes had been dug out!

I held my grieving master. How could it be? I asked sadly. Did your enemies find Huang Family Village?

At first, he said, crying, Master and I thought thats what had happened. We never imagined that

It was Lan Jin? I asked, shocked.

Correct, it had been done by Lan Jin.

When we saw Master Uncle Wangs head at the village gate, we rode our horses into the village furiously. Corpses lay piled up everywhere. Dad and mom, my brothers and sisters, ahhh they sat on wooden benches outside the gate of our house, their posture in death horrifically miserable

[91] Tianshan Tonglao is a character from Demi-gods and Semi-devils by Jin Yong http://tinyurl.com/nbge954
    [92] Lu Xiaofeng is the protagonist of a series of novels by Gu Long http://tinyurl.com/pfkbzbe

Thanks!
    [I am surprised that Gidden Ko wasn't sued by the other authors for 'stealing' their characters...]
    Last edited by ycb5959; 06-06-14 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks deathblade