Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

[I am surprised that Gidden Ko wasn't sued by the other authors for 'stealing' their characters...]
    He's only using them in one or two sentences. He's not basing a whole novel on just one existing character, like the continuing adventures of Guo Jing.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    I know it's pretty common to translate it as "martial brother"
    Okay, I only pointed it out because the original sentence could be misinterpreted as the Master's pupils instead of peers if taken out of context. Not trying to make your job more difficult, as I enjoy reading your excellent translations.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    Okay, I only pointed it out because the original sentence could be misinterpreted as the Master's pupils instead of peers if taken out of context. Not trying to make your job more difficult, as I enjoy reading your excellent translations.
    Ohh, I see. Okay I'll go back to check it out and reconsider!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks deathblade

Ohh, I see. Okay I'll go back to check it out and reconsider!
    Alternatively you could insert the original Chinese with footnote. Then again, it may be best to leave as is.

I fear Ah Yi may not last when Yuan Zai expressed regret for beseeching his master to accept his buddy as disciple (foreshadowing?).

I just got back from vacation and have finally caught up on this. Great job with the translation deathblade. This novel has exceeded my expectations. Keep up the great work!
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    I just got back from vacation and have finally caught up on this. Great job with the translation deathblade. This novel has exceeded my expectations. Keep up the great work!
    Glad you're enjoying it that much!

Thanks deathblade

Can anyone help me with some translation questions? I'm not sure how some of these things have been translated previously:

真武殿 - zhen wu dian - Wudang Sect's temple
    真人 - zhen ren - Title for Taoists
    舞龙 - wu long - These character mean dragon dance, but it's listed as some sort of martial arts school or sect. Does anyone know what wuxia novels it appears in? Or did Giddens Ko just make it up?

Can anyone help me with some translation questions? I'm not sure how some of these things have been translated previously:

真武殿 - zhen wu dian - Wudang Sect's temple
    真人 - zhen ren - Title for Taoists
    舞龙 - wu long - These character mean dragon dance, but it's listed as some sort of martial arts school or sect. Does anyone know what wuxia novels it appears in? Or did Giddens Ko just make it up?
    1) Leave it as Zhenwu Pavilion; Zhenwu is another name for the Daoist deity Xuanwu. As a name, I see no need to translate it.
    2) Daoist Master.
    3) No idea about origins, but I'd just leave it as 'Dancing Dragon', or perhaps 'Writhing Dragon' if you want to wax poetic.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    1) Leave it as Zhenwu Pavilion; Zhenwu is another name for the Daoist deity Xuanwu. As a name, I see no need to translate it.
    2) Daoist Master.
    3) No idea about origins, but I'd just leave it as 'Dancing Dragon', or perhaps 'Writhing Dragon' if you want to wax poetic.
    Thanks so much.

Lan Jin (5)

I was so shocked I couldnt even shed tears. I followed a panicked Master Uncle Zhang as he rushed toward his house. All we could see was that conscienceless, emotionless youth, standing next to the village well, slowly slashing my friend Li Daquans face with his sword. Next to Lan Jin were many villagers, my childhood friends, slashed and cut up. The most horrific thing was that their acupuncture points had been sealed, stopping their bleeding. They were not dead, but they trembled and twitched uncontrollably. Their faces contained no expression of pain or suffering, only empty holes oozing dark blood.

Lan Jin! You did this?! I howled, drawing my sword.

Yeah. Lan Jin concentration was focused on slicing off a small piece of Li Daquans nose. He didnt pay much attention to me.

Master grabbed me, staring grimly at the cold and detached Lan Jin. You killed your master? he asked.

Lan Jin nodded impatiently, cutting off the rest of Li Daquans nose, and I almost charged forward to try to kill him.

Why? said Master scathingly, grabbing me with one hand and Master Uncle Zhang with the other.

To practice my sword technique. He kicked Li Daoquan to the ground, staring deeply at Master.

Masters hand gripped me tightly. I could sense him repressing a violent aura of death.

Lan Jin seemed completely without conscience, stepping on villagers who perched on the brink of death, coldly saying, Come at me together.

Wait a moment, Master said, anger in his voice. What about Hua Maoer?

What about my wife and children? roared Master Uncle Zhang.

Lan Jin licked some blood off of his sword and began kicking over some of the gasping, dying villagers. He pointed at a woman, her face smeared with blood. Here. And your son is probably inside the well.

Master Uncle Zhang let out a violent roar. Shaking off Masters hand, he leaped off of his horse and charged toward Lan Jin. The aura of the long sword in his hand enveloped Lan Jin like a screaming gale wind.

In the twinkling of an eye, my face was covered with blood, hot fresh blood.

Lan Jin crouched there, his head lowered, one hand touching the ground, the long sword in his other hand pointing up toward the dismal sky a sky that rained red blood.

Master Uncle Zhangs head flew threw the air. His sword protruded from Lan Jins shoulder, swaying back and forth.

I vaguely remember that in that fleeting moment when Master Uncle Zhang met his fate, when Lan Jins lightning hand shot forth, a blue glow emanated from his eyes.

Master Uncle Zhangs head finally fell to the ground. I wiped the thick blood from my face. The entire time, Masters eyes were fixed directly on Lan Jin.

Master Uncle, please forgive me! Renshu, vomit spilling from his mouth, heeled his horse out of the village, trying to flee.

Unexpectedly, Lan Jin pulled the sword out from his shoulder and flung it toward the panic-stricken Renshu.

What about Hua Maoer! howled Master. He knocked the flying sword down, snapping it in two, allowing Renshu to flee in his cowardice.

I stared anxiously at Lan Jin, thinking to myself: Hua Maoer has always loved hiding. Maybe shes alright maybe maybe shes hiding in the forest

Lan Jin sealed the acupuncture point in his shoulder, stopping the bleeding, then casually said, I raped her.

My vision grew dark, and my head seemed about to explode. I was ready to leap off my horse, to death or life. I didnt care.

And then, I saw a smile appear on Lan Jins face. Just kidding, he said.

My heart loosened. Holding back my fury, I asked, Where is she?

His face suddenly grew dark. Coldly, he said, Her left half is hanging from the big tree outside the village. Her right half is hanging from the gate of the Li Clan Village.

Ahhh

My heart shattered. I was trying to shake off Masters heavy grip, when I suddenly realized the restraining hand was no longer there. Master shot toward Lan Jin like a violent arrow.

Whoosh!

A ripping sound could be heard, along with a heavy slashing sound.

Master held one hand over his neck. The sword in his other hand pointed toward the ground.

Like before, Lan Jin had one hand on the ground, his head lowered. His cold eyes stared at the tip of Masters sword.

On the tip of Masters sword could be seen a drop of blood.

On Lan Jins chest could be seen a drop of blood.

I sat on my horse, not daring to move, fearing I might interrupt the rhythm of Masters attack.

Why did you conceal your power? Master quietly sealed the acupuncture points in his neck, but blood still seeped forth through the cracks between his fingers.

I didnt conceal my power. Lan Jin slowly stopped the blood flowing from his chest. Then he continued, My sword is made for killing, not practicing kung fu.

Master nodded. Let me ask you another question. Why did you need to kill so many people?

Lan Jin pointed his sword toward Masters eyes. To practice my sword technique, he said slowly.

The placid tip of Masters sword pointed down toward his shadow on the ground.

The cold tip of Lan Jins sword pointed directly at Masters face.

After that, the two swords disappeared, and my face was once again covered with blood.

In a blur, Masters sword seemed to adhere to Lan Jins sword, then sweep it away. His palm struck out, landing on Lan Jins chest. Crimson blood vomited from Lan Jins mouth and he flew backwards, flopping like a scarecrow and slamming into the well.

Howling, I leaped off the horse, my sword stabbing toward him furiously. His eyes glowed blue, and his finger stabbed out toward my chest. I flew back, feeling as if I had just been struck by lightning. My sword fell, stabbing into the ground, and blood gurgled forth from my chest.

And Master?

Master stared at Lan Jin, holding his hand over his chest, saying nothing.

Suddenly, thick, red blood flowed out from his Flying Dragon point.

Lan Jin gripped the edge of the well, his face covered in sweat. He struggled up, trying to pick up his sword from the ground. But then he toppled over, coughing up another mouthful of blood. It seemed Masters palm strike had been quite serious.

But Master could not have anticipated that as he landed his palm strike, Lan Jin, whose inner force was far inferior to his own, would imbue his sword with Qi. Even as the palm strike landed, he used Qi to grab the sword and stab it into Masters Flying Dragon point, a fatal strike.

I looked at Masters face, brittle like a sheet of metal, and then looked at Lan Jin, staggering toward a horse. I wanted to pursue him with my sword, strike him down, but I couldnt summon the energy. In the process of receiving his serious injury, Lan Jin had used all the energy he could summon as well. My Qi was roiling out of control. Perhaps he had severed some of the arteries in my heart.

And so he struggled onto the horse, and slowly rode out of the village.

My tears flowed as I looked at the sun sinking in the west. Even if I was about to die, that was ok. Hua Maoer and I were to be married tomorrow, and there would still be time to do so in the underworld

Thanks!!!!

Thanks deathblade

I am still trying to figure the gap between the Masters and Lan Jin that they could forfeit their lives in one strike. Thks deathblade.

Tks. Death blade. getting very interesting

The phrase 'qing chu yu lan' somes to mind with Lan Jin. But to a ridiculous extent!

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    I am still trying to figure the gap between the Masters and Lan Jin that they could forfeit their lives in one strike. Thks deathblade.
    I think the next couple sections will make clear the extent Lan Jin's power and ability...

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The phrase 'qing chu yu lan' somes to mind with Lan Jin. But to a ridiculous extent!
    Haha I never thought of that. Yeah, totally!