Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Lan Jin (6)

Master, slowly dying, lurched over to me and then collapsed. I looked at him, and he laughed.

Weeping, I cried out, Master

Master lay there, laughing quietly. He placed his hand onto my back, imbuing into me a stream of pure, matchless Qi. I was shocked. Master, I blurted, you

As bold and forthright as ever, Master said, I owe you my life, and now Im going to pay back what I owe.

Tears streamed from my eyes. Turning back to look at him, I said, Hua Maoer is dead. I cant go on living.

Staring into my eyes, Master said, There is something in this world called justice

I nodded. This was something Master said all the time.

He continued, You must you must continue on living. Im not saying you should seek revenge but justice and justice requires outstanding kung fu

I cried as I circulated the life-saving Qi through my arteries. My mind thought back to the five years spent with my mighty, respected Master, all the memories of five years, five years Master had settled down in this land that I loved, just for me. But now, that very land was covered with mountains of corpses.

The large, strong hand on my back, finally dropped away slowly.

I ground my teeth. Master! I cried. We will meet again in the afterlife of heroes!

Thusly, in Huang Clan Village, amidst the evening wind and rivers of blood, beneath the setting sun, I kowtowed for the last time to Master, three times. A hearty smile hung on his face, which only increased the pain I felt.

And Hua Maoer? I realized that I had started crying.

Her left half really was hung on the big tree outside the village, and her right half in Li Clan Village. Master wailed. Mournfully, he said, The Li Clan village had also been slaughtered.

Fury welled up as I thought of a beautiful young girl being slashed in two. It was truly unimaginable.

So ruthless.

His body trembling, Master continued, I circulated my Qi to heal myself, and began digging graves for everyone. One large grave for each family. It took no less than nineteen days to bury everyone in the two villages. Afterwards, I held vigil upon Hua Maoers grave for a month. In the end, I sang that love song she liked so much, then took up my sword and heeled my horse out of the village.

Spellbound, Ah Yi asked, Did you find Lan Jin?

Master shook his head. I was no match for Lan Jin. So I found a secluded place where I diligently practiced all of the knowledge Master had imparted to me. Ai. Luckily, Master had transferred into me a seemingly infinite stream of pure Qi. Not only did I recover fully from my internal injuries, but my power base increased dramatically. I trained hard day and night, very hard. I practiced palm techniques on the seafloor, flying techniques amongst towering trees, used scores of different poisonous snakes to practice Qi techniques. And to serve the fortunes of the people, I would occasionally take the heads of some government dogs.

Ah Yi and I couldnt tell whether Master was talking nonsense or not, but we listened attentively.

One year later, my martial arts were mastered, and I ascended Yingcai Peak to reunite with the Founder and my Master Uncles. I planned to discuss with them Lan Jins betrayal of the Sect. But to my surprise, when I arrived at our Sects mountain, I saw several Master Uncles seated formally around a large, round table. Their bodies were riddled with gaping wounds. Their acupuncture points had all been sealed or stabbed, and their bodies were soaked with blood. Their faces Ai, I do not wish to even mention it. Their eyeballs lay on the table, and their faces were slashed to ribbons. When I laid eyes on the scene I wailed. The veins in Masters eyes bulged. When I wailed, he said, the Master Uncles suddenly convulsed, and made strange gurgling sounds. As it turned out, Lan Jin had blocked their blood circulation, the way he usually did, leaving them torn to pieces, but unable to die! I shouted Juner will avenge you! and stabbed each and every one through the heart with my short sword.

Master leaned against me wearily. Sighing, he said, I searched the mountain all afternoon and finally encountered the Founder, laying beneath an ancient tree. He was one-hundred and two years old. He had not received any humiliations from that dog bastard, but there were deep sword wounds on his shoulder and chest.

Founder! I shouted, your grand-disciple Juner has arrived! I knelt in front of him.

Propped up against the old tree, he opened his eyes. When he saw it was me, he smiled weakly. Worthy disciple was trained personally by Jiexuan, compassionate and righteous. A weighty task will now fall on your shoulders.

I held back my tears, looking at Masters wounds. The bloodstains had long since turned dark. Grand-disciple will rid the martial world of this great evil. I will avenge our Sect!

The Founder frowned. Do not seek revenge for the Sect. Constant seeking of revenge will cause turmoil in Jianghu. That son-of-a-***** Lan Jins martial arts are devilishly fierce. What revenge could you seek? Wouldnt you just be delivering up your life?

I felt unsure. Dont tell me I shouldnt seek revenge at all? I said loudly. My Master, my Master Uncles, they all died so horribly!

With a trace of irritation, the Founder said, If Lan Jin has a problem with our Sect and wipes us out, what is the harm? But if he harms innocent people, or brings misfortune to our country, you must stop him even if you must sacrifice your life to do so! Your martial arts are not to be used for revenge! They are to be used to preserve divine justice! You must put your personal interests behind you, do you understand?

Ashamed, I knelt in front of the Founder, speechless, tears streaming from my eyes.

The Founder sighed. Lan Jins natural ability is freakishly high. I fear that a talent like him has never before been seen in Jianghu. At such a young age, his sword technique is abnormally profound. His movement techniques are as fast as lightning. When you add a deep understanding of the martial arts of our Sect, it really is first-rate Had I not used a hundred years of carefully established inner force to land a palm strike on his back, I too would have fallen victim to his violent treachery. After I hurt the little bastard, he fled with serious internal injuries. But you are still not his match. Dont be too anxious to serve yourself up to death.

I looked at the Founder. He struggled for breath, on the brink of dying. I shot out my hand and rested it on his Flying Dragon point, then began imbuing my own Qi into his Qi reservoir. Unexpectedly, he grabbed my hand, and I felt an exceedingly powerful Qi rushing back into my palm, like tidewaters pouring into my Qi reservoir.

Founder? I called out in shock.

This old man is soon going to return to heaven. What good is it to try to take anything with me? Take it, take it! Take it for the common people! The Founder gripped my hand tightly. The pure inner force poured into me, and a great responsibility came to rest on my shoulders.
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-11-14 at 04:57 AM. Reason: fixed mistake found by ycb5959
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks deathblade

Thanks, deathblade!

I think you need to put a separator to differentiate the different timeline in the story. eg

I ground my teeth. Master! I cried. We will meet again in the afterlife of heroes!

Thusly, in Huang Clan Village, amidst the evening wind and rivers of blood, beneath the setting sun, I kowtowed for the last time to Master, three times. A hearty smile hung on his face, which only increased the pain I felt.

-----------------------------------------------------

Her left half really was hung on the big tree outside the village, and her right half in Li Clan Village. Master wailed. Mournfully, he said, The Li Clan village had also been slaughtered.

As you can see, there are 2 timelines involving 2 different "master"

Errors:

Don't think there is "thusly". "Thus" or "then" or "thereafter" is better

Fury welled up as I thought of beautiful young girl being slashed in two. It was truly unimaginable.

Missing article "a" as in "a beautiful young girl"

Last edited by ycb5959; 06-10-14 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks, deathblade!

I think you need to put a separator to differentiate the different timeline in the story. eg

-----------------------------------------------------

As you can see, there are 2 timelines involving 2 different "master"

Errors:

Don't think there is "thusly". "Thus" or "then" or "thereafter" is better

Fury welled up as I thought of beautiful young girl being slashed in two. It was truly unimaginable.

Missing article "a" as in "a beautiful young girl"

I'll go back to fix the mistakes later.

As for the "master" thing, I hear what you're saying, but that is how the original text is. It switches between timelines with no separators, and uses the exact same form of address for both Masters. Generally there is a line of text that should generally make it clear. In this case it's the dialogue "And Hua Mao'er?" I think it wouldn't make sense for Ah Jun to say that in the ancient timeline, so the author expects us to figure it out.

The old master is a bit like Xu Zhu, getting a qi boost from his martial elders. But I still can't see how Lan Jin can be stopped.
    Last edited by CFT; 06-10-14 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The old master is a bit like Xu Zhu, getting a qi boost from his martial elders. But I still can't see how Lan Jin can be stopped.
    Hold your breath for the next update... ha ha ha...

I can't wait! I tried to read the original Chinese text, but was put off by the formatting and it seemed so depressing at the outset. It is getting pretty exciting though, so kudos to you for translating this.

I also like the philosophy of the Heaven Reaching sect. The founder and his disciples have preached a consistent message of providing justice to the people rather than burdening the old master with a vengence quest.
    Last edited by CFT; 06-10-14 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks deathblade

I really hope this story doesn't end in tragedy

Lan Jin (7)

Enough time passed to burn half an incense stick. The Founder rose to his feet wearily, swaying back and forth.

I wanted to help him, but he indicated for me to stay sit and let the Qi to be thoroughly absorbed. So I closed my eyes and allowed every drop of the Founders matchless inner force, cultivated over a hundred years, to soak into my acupuncture points. By the time I opened my eyes again, the sky had grown dark, and I saw the Founder sitting cross-legged underneath an ancient tree, peaceful in death.

I took to heart the Founders admonition, and did not chase after the cold-blooded Lan Jin.

I roamed Jianghu, fighting evils and relentlessly practicing the Heaven Reaching arts. When I grew weary, I would return to the bleak and dreary Huang Clan Village. I would sit upon Hua Maoers grave, chat with her and sing songs. Heavens! I missed her so much! My poor wife, who had never even had the chance to marry. Little yellow chrysanthemums covered her grave. I would often sleep next to her tombstone, and in my dreams I would see her sitting on the chrysanthemums singing, blushing as she stared at me.

A year later, the seven great schools of Jianghu were completely exterminated in a months time. The bloodless corpses of the Seven Heroes of Wudang were strung up in the bamboo forest outside of Zhenwu Temple. The sound of the cold wind blowing through the holes in their bodies, making whistling sounds like a flute, was enough to make ones hair stand on end. Ai. Daoist Master Zhang Sanfeng [93] just stood in the bamboo forest laughing crazily. The saddest thing of all was that his legs and arms had been hacked off.

And the pre-eminent Shaolin Temple?

The Shaolin Eighteen Copper Heroes were nailed to the huge plaque above the gates of the temple. The Wooden Men Alley became the Dead Men Alley. Surprisingly, the Dragon Subduing, Tiger Taming 18 Arhats actually kept their lives. Except, their heads were strung together with a chain like a blood-soaked prayer bead necklace. They wailed insanely all day like deranged spirits. The shouting was truly painful.

Theres no need to even mention Emei, Mount Hua, Diancang, Kongtong, Wulong and other schools [94]. They were all completely slaughtered by Lan Jin. Among the two hundred nuns of Emei Sect, a handful managed to escape with their lives, but when they returned and saw their temple packed full with grotesque corpses, they went insane and could never speak again.

In that year, the people of Jianghu gave a nickname to Lan Jin. They called him Cold Butcher. Any place Cold Butcher went became a hellish sea of blood.

Two years later, not many in Jianghu knew who Cold Butcher was, what he was, and what he did. Because there wasnt much of a Jianghu any more almost everyone had been chopped into living corpses by Cold Butcher.

In another two years, the followers of the five evil sects were eliminated by Lan Jin, and the word Jianghu became a part of history. The good and evil paths of martial arts were gone, and the profound mysteries of kung fu were washed away with blood.

And me?

Five years after the bloody-soaked tragedy at the Huang Clan Village, I made a shocking advancement in my training. The most important thing was that after meticulous study of hundreds of sword methods, I transcended the foundation of Heaven Reaching Sword technique and created my own palm and sword skills, which were earth-shatteringly powerful. I was finally confident enough to take on Lan Jin. So I teamed up with the only two remaining top-notch experts of the martial world; the Iron Lock Savage Li Xunhuan [95], and the Devil Sects Elegant Dandy, You Danzhi [96]. We followed Lan Jins path of vicious slaughter, finally tracking him down to ancient Xian [97].

When we arrived in Xian, we thought it would take some time to determine his exact location. We never imagined that when practicing our Qi arts at the foot of a desolate mountain, we would suddenly sense a raging aura of death coming from the north. It was without a doubt Lan Jin, so we took to our feet and ran like mad. And finally we found him, in a yellow cloud of dust, slaughtering a company of government troops.

Li Xunhuan attacked first. His fellow disciples had all been cut down like swine by Lan Jin. His famous iron lock flew forward, backed by all his fury. But Lan Jin could sense that he was about to fall victim of a sneak attack, and with a wave of his sword he knocked aside the iron lock. Therefore, I took the opportunity to attack him with all of my power, launching a palm strike at his back. He dodged, and met my palm with his.

My body had been imbued with the Founders hundred years of power, as well as my Master's, so in terms of inner force, I was clearly the superior. My strike sent Lan Jin flying backwards, whereupon he slammed into a loess outcropping. A very ironic situation thus developed between Lan Jin and I

Lan Jin hadnt been hit by the complete power of my strike. Instead, he redirected the majority of the energy of our mutual palm strikes backwards. He slammed into the loess outcropping, and it collapsed on top of him. In an instant, Lan Jin was engulfed in soil.

A world-class expert could never be crushed or smothered to death by an outcropping of loess [99]. So we oh-so-carefully focused our senses on the Qi aura emanating from within the soil, ready for Lan Jin to leap out at any moment. But after time passed, enough to drink a cup of tea, the Qi grew more and more faint, and soon we could barely sense it at all.

You Danzhis demonic arts were unparalleled. After using his Grand Hearing technique, he said, Lan Jins Qi aura is not growing fainter, its going deeper. Hes digging a hole.

I felt confused. Lan Jin isnt the type of person to dig holes. He just knows how to face off against people and kill them.

Then he must be seriously injured! cried Li Xunhuan. He wants to dig himself out and escape.

You Danzhi, whose wifes body had been hung underneath a waterfall by Lan Jin, shrieked crazily: Its not that easy! He used the secret Devil Sect art Lake Sucking Skill, and in an instant, all the fallen dirt and stone was removed. There could be seen a deep hole leading down.

It doesnt make sense! said Li Xunhuan suspiciously. That punk couldnt dig a hole this big so quickly.

It must have been here in the outcropping all along, said You Danzhi. How could he be so lucky? Holding his fan in hand, he squatted down and stared down into the blackness of the hole.

I was quite confident in the power of palm strike just now. For him to avoid facing off against us meant Lan Jin must be injured. I sighed. Dont tell me God is helping the Cold Butcher by preparing a means of escape for him hundreds of years ago.

Li Xunhuan pulled out a hundred-foot long refined steel chain and cast it down into the dark hole. Hes not coming up! Lets go down! Deliver him up to death!

Okay! said You Danzhi and I in unison.

Next, the three of us slowly climbed down into the dark hole. Li Xunhuans Pure Steel Chain, imbued with Qi and swinging like a pendulum, descended ahead of us down into the darkness, carving out a path, ensuring that we wouldnt fall into any traps laid by Lan Jin.

As we went down, the darkness in the cavern grew thicker. Finally, not long later, the light from outside was completely gone. Everything was pitch black. The air in the dirt tunnel grew thick and dirty. It was nauseating. We circulated our inner force and slowed our breathing almost completely.

[93] Zhang Sanfeng is credited with creating Taiqi, and also is an important character in Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber http://tinyurl.com/ozubelu
    [94] Here is information about the various schools and sects mentioned: Emei http://tinyurl.com/mhguuvx, Mount Hua http://tinyurl.com/qchlbtu, Diancang (couldnt find any English articles), Kongtong http://tinyurl.com/q2ulwhz, Wulong (not sure if this is from existing fiction or if the author made it up.)
    [95] Li Xunhuan is a major protagonist of Gu Long novels http://tinyurl.com/l8helhg
    [96] You Danzhi is a character from Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils http://tinyurl.com/odrbwgn
    [97] Xian is city in China with a very long history, and also where much of my translation Heroes Shed No Tears takes place http://tinyurl.com/6n2z3c
    [98] Loess is a type of sediment common in parts of North China http://tinyurl.com/yfn6tf8
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-11-14 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Fixed the mistake of writing You Danzhi as You Zhidan..., found by athlonkmf

Thks deathblade ...

Thanks deathblade

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I can't wait! I tried to read the original Chinese text, but was put off by the formatting and it seemed so depressing at the outset. It is getting pretty exciting though, so kudos to you for translating this.

I also like the philosophy of the Heaven Reaching sect. The founder and his disciples have preached a consistent message of providing justice to the people rather than burdening the old master with a vengence quest.
    I've "read" the chinese text too. Actualy I listened. on a mac (or ipad) I could simply select the text and let the mac read it in perfect cantonese for me.

I must say that the story is kinda long. I expected a short story actually. I'm still at book 5.
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

BTW you've misspelled You Dan Zhi with You Zhidan several times

don't know whether to "hate" the author or not - he "murdered" almost every one of my fav characters in other novels

Would be fun if the author includes his family in the modern timelime, and get them murdered too

Quote Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
    BTW you've misspelled You Dan Zhi with You Zhidan several times
    Omg. I must be dyslexic! Ok I'll fix it......

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    don't know whether to "hate" the author or not - he "murdered" almost every one of my fav characters in other novels

Would be fun if the author includes his family in the modern timelime, and get them murdered too
    Yeah I feel the same haha...

What a massacre!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks deathblade!

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Omg. I must be dyslexic! Ok I'll fix it......
    I assumed you were watching some movie with Donnie Yen ZhiDan :P