Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Part 4

When Master threw the iron balls out into the sea, why did I go out into the freezing water like an idiot? Why use such a dangerous method to practice martial arts? This kind of thing was just like Masters fantasies, strangely transmitted from three-hundred years ago into the modern age. It was lunacy. To return to the topic at hand, perhaps practicing martial arts Masters way would lead to fire deviation. Letting more than twenty types of venomous snakes bite me was just as insane as looking for iron balls in the sea.

Seafloor (1)

From now on, Ah Yi came every night to practice kung fu. As the inner force in our bodies continued to grow, our grades continued to slip lower and lower. No, mine slipped. Ah Yis couldnt get any lower.

Several days later, Mom ran her hands across the sword marks on the wall in disbelieve and Klunk! My room officially had only two walls left.

And then winter officially arrived. Every night, the inner force in my body would automatically circulate through my acupuncture points, and I would fall asleep, warm and comfortable in the frigid, biting wind. If my kung fu kept developing this way, my first official profession might be selling blankets.

Two months passed, and finally I heard Ah Yi cry out crazily in class. It seemed hed finally gotten the knack of it.

You two are so cartoonish, said Ah Lun. If I hadnt seen Yuan Zais moves, Id die before believing that you two practice martial arts.

I tried to get Ah Lun to come train with us, but he had no interest in it whatsoever. Although, there was one thing he was curious about: When would we be able to destroy the schools Chiang Kai-shek statue? [101]

Are you cold? I gripped Yi Jings little hand. There was a cold spell now, and it was about ten degrees celsius. [102]

Nope Your inner force is getting stronger and stronger, isnt it? Yi Jing laughed. Her dimples were so cute.

You can tell? I said. I guess I really do have a lot of natural talent. At least, a lot more talent than I do in studying.

You really dont want to study any more? She would ask me this question a lot, and would always look very concerned.

I dont know, I would laugh bitterly. Maybe I wont study any more, or maybe after a while I will. Well see.

Whenever Yi Jing posed this question, it left me a bit puzzled.

For a first year middle school student in 1987, what was the point of relentlessly pursuing high level martial arts?

If Master showed off all the astonishing abilities, he would be world famous and make huge amounts of money. But he truly believed that the real value of kung fu was not to in gaining a reputation, but in justice. He really was like a cartoon character.

Therefore, Master forbade us from showing off our kung fu to anyone. In this world, he said, Very few people truly understand kung fu. It is all because of the year that Lan Jin destroyed the legacies of Jianghu. But, it is what it is. If villains understood martial arts, it would be a disaster for the common people.

So were the only people left who can do martial arts? asked Ah Yi. That will make it much easier to defend the country and save our fellow countrymen.

Correct. Later on, you must select some kind, merciful and brave disciples, and pass down the responsibility of upholding justice from generation to generation. Master patted Ah Yi on the head.

Hei hei. When can I start getting rid of bullies and bringing peace to the innocent? said Ah Yi excitedly. Whenever I see a group of thugs, it puts me in a really bad mood!

You are too gung-ho! Master gave a hard nock on Ah Yis head. If you casually show off your kung fu to people, I will disable your tendons and arteries!

Ai I couldnt stop from saying, Master, in modern society we have policemen, they have guns, and they enforce the law. Its not our place to be heroes.

With contempt, Master said, You can lump those constables together with thieves. Every dynasty is the same in this regard.

Ah Yi and I could only laugh bitterly.

1987. Winter break. Master took Ah Yi and I to the seaside in Wang Gong [103]. Yi Jing walked behind us uneasily, holding a metal container of ginger tea.

This was the first time Yi Jing watched us practice martial arts. Master had made a special exception to allow it.

Master, today is new years eve! [104] I stripped off my clothes and stood in the desolate sea breeze, looking at Yi Jing.

Master, Im really freaking cold! Ah Yis teeth chattered. Hed also taken off his clothes, and stood trembling in under the dead, gray sky.

Ah Yi, you fool, said Master loudly, Circulate your inner force to keep out the cold!

Master, I must report, he said guiltily, Disciple doesnt have enough inner force!

Master, I chimed in, Lets do this after the new year! The sea will still be here next year, it wont run off!

Master rapped our heads. With such a pretty girl here watching, he cursed, how could you have the face to shrink back?

I looked at the towering waves crashing against the seashore, the foam surging, and couldnt stop myself from begging for mercy. Master, well die!

Look at how big the waves are! Ah Yi hurriedly echoed. Anyone would be swept away. Theres a one-hundred percent chance well die!

Master kicked the two of us in the direction of the sea until we stood in water up to our knees.

Were going to die! I cried. Master! I looked at Yi Jing, standing on the shore looking quite frightened.

I had 25 different poisonous snakes bite you. Did you die? Master grabbed me and Ah Yi. Listen, you two, he shouted. Ah Yi, before you step foot back on shore youre going to find this metal box. Otherwise I will smack you back to your hometown!

He pulled out a New Years Egg Roll gift box and tossed it out into the sea. The gift box flew into the water, about twenty-five meters or so out [105]. It was filled with rocks, so it sank down instantly.

With a long face, Ah Yi grabbed Master, getting ready to kneel down.

If you do not get out there quickly, said Master mercilessly, the box will be swept away by the waves. How will you get it then?

Ah Yi gritted his teeth and then yelled, Master!

What now? Master yelled back.

If I die, roared Ah Yi, then my ghost will come looking for you! With that, he walked slowly forward into the sea.

Sink your Qi into the Long White point and Long Black point in your feet, reminded Master from behind. Hold your breath and focus your spirit. Go slowly, one step at a time! Do not fear the undercurrent! As long as your feet are solidly connected to the ground, you will not be swept away!

Ah Yi could only hunch his head down toward the sea and yell, If I die, Im coming for you!

And then he sank down to the seafloor.

I saw Yi Jing off in the distance shaking her head violently, and then looked at Master. Master, I said, Ill go save Ah Yi and then come back!

Master grabbed me, and from within his garment produced a pair of rusty iron balls. Ah Yis metal box is really close. Dont worry. As for you As he spoke, Master flung the iron balls away. They flew far, far out into the white waves, then fell deep into the deep blue.

[101] Im sure most people who have even just heard about Taiwan know who Chiang Kai-shek is http://tinyurl.com/qm42w
    [102] 10 degrees celsius is about 50 degrees fahrenheit
    [103] Wang Gong is located in Fangyuan Township, a rural township of Chuanghua county. http://tinyurl.com/ob3489n
    [104] Chinese New Years Eve, not December 31. I checked, and Lunar new year in 1987 fell on January 31.
    [105] 25 meters is a little over 80 feet
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-17-14 at 10:47 PM. Reason: minor change
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

thanks, deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Good to see that Ah Yi is also making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Good to see that Ah Yi is also making progress.
    I don't know. He didn't have good foreboding. Remember how the MC recalled that he never should've let Ah Yi learn martial arts?
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

This one had me lol
    As the inner force in our bodies continued to grow, our grades continued to slip lower and lower. No, mine slipped. Ah Yis couldnt get any lower.

Thanks death blade

Default classification

The boys weren't actually naked where they? The girl was right there with them. When they took off their clothes they still had swim wear?

Quote Originally Posted by ptsome110 View Post
    The boys weren't actually naked where they? The girl was right there with them. When they took off their clothes they still had swim wear?
    The author doesn't elaborate. He just says that they take their clothes off. My assumption is that they stripped down to their underwear...?

Seafloor (2)

Staring stupidly, I said, Thats at least 200 meters! [106]

You can do it, Master smiled.

I cant do it! I cried.

He laughed heartily. Your bodys inner force is already quite good. You can do it!

I was about to start crying. Throw it again, a little closer!

Master slapped my shoulder and then whispered into my ear: Hey, silly boy! I threw it a little farther on purpose. It will give you a chance to impress the girl. Get in to the sea and show off your talents.

Master, I said miserably, You threw it far on purpose? Are you saying the distance is really too far for me?

Even though it is a bit far, he said with a laugh, it will be very impressive.

With that, he pushed me forward into the water.

I slipped, and felt a pain on the bottom of my foot. It turned out a sharp rock protruding from the reef had gashed my foot.

I could only take a deep breath and sink down into the sea.

Under the sea in winter, I had no other option but to circulate my inner force to generate heat.

I couldnt open my eyes. Its not that I was afraid of the water. Rather, the rushing undercurrent really made it impossible for me to open them.

If I couldnt see, how could I find the damned iron balls? Where should I even start looking?

It was too late to start thinking about it, because at the moment, just figuring out how to stand firmly on the seafloor had become an advanced field of study for me. The undercurrent was even stronger and more frightening than the breaking waves on the surface. With two forces relentlessly pushing and sucking at me, I had to use seventy percent of my inner force just to be able to stand in one place. If I wanted to move forward, it took one hundred percent of my power!

Walking on the seafloor I really dont know how to describe how frightening it is. Maybe its even as frightening as it was for Master to face off against Lan Jin in the cave that year. I endured greater and greater pressure as I creeped forward along the seafloor. As I walked, I thought about three questions.

The first question was, had I gone crazy?

When Master threw the iron balls out into the sea, why did I go out into the freezing water like an idiot? Why use such a dangerous method to practice martial arts? This kind of thing was just like Masters dreams, strangely transmitted from three-hundred years ago into the modern age. It was lunacy.

To return to the topic at hand, perhaps practicing martial arts Masters way will lead to fire deviation. Letting more than twenty types of venomous snakes bite me was just as insane as looking for iron balls in the sea.

The second question was, if it was so difficult for me on the seafloor, what about Ah Yi?

If you calculate the level of my inner force using the Heaven Reaching Sects unique formula, it was about twenty-five venomous snakes. As for Ah Yis inner force, he had been stuck at three venomous snakes for quite a while. If I was struggling so hard to move forward, Ah Yi must surely be out of air.

On the bus ride to Wang Gong, Ah Yi and I had tested how long we could hold our breaths. I could hold mine for 23 minutes, Ah Yi only seven. Ai. It was good that Ah Yis New Year Egg Roll gift box hadnt been thrown very far. If he couldnt hold it, at least he could swim to the surface to take a breath of air.

The third question was, did I have the ability to find the iron balls?

As part of my martial arts training, Master had allowed venomous snakes to bite me, after which I forced the venom out. But he had always been there, secretly taking care of me but this time I should be able to find the iron balls safely, right? Maybe Master was right behind me, following me secretly, taking care of Ah Yi and I. My little life should be taken care of properly.

Therefore, I quickly started trying to figure out a way to locate the iron balls, and avoid letting Master down.

The seafloor. The arduous seafloor.

With extreme effort, I forced my eyes open, but all I could see was roiling blue.

How far had I walked?

I looked up. It seemed like the surface of the water was very, very far away. At that time, I hadnt started studying trigonometry yet, so I didnt understand the steps necessary to calculate the distance between me and the iron balls based on the distance and angle of the surface. I was slowly started to feel more and more uncomfortable. The pain of holding my breath filled my acupuncture points, and the undercurrent constantly battered against my chest. My inner force was reaching its limit.

And then, I reached an area I definitely would not continue into.

An oceanic trench.

It was an extremely dark and terrifying area.

I couldnt see the bottom. I could only sense a mighty vortex of tidewater screaming out from within the trench. It was like the hell of the ocean, an abrupt fissure in the seafloor, a bottomless pit. If I hadnt opened my eyes, I would have fallen in and been devoured.

My strength was spent.

If I tried to reach the surface to take a breath, I would definitely be swept away, because Master hadnt taught us how to swim. So I decided to head back.

But just as I had resolved to turn around, I suddenly saw something fly by in front of me.

It was a person, clutching a gift box in hand.

It was Ah Yi!

I saw him, his limbs limp, being swept along by the current, like a dazed cricket being dragged by a giant hand. I suddenly felt completely helpless. Ah Yi would be buried in the ocean trench any second!

Moments before, my strength had run out, but now my courage had redoubled. My iron gaze fixed on Ah Yi, about to be sucked by the vortex into the ocean trench. Allowing myself to be carried along by the wild force of the tide, I dashed toward the trench, flying forward with each surge. Finally, I reached the edge and went in a bit, I think, and grabbed the swooning Ah Yi. I circulated my non-existent inner force and painstakingly climbed up out of the oceanic abyss.

I clutched Ah Yi and walked along the seafloor, my thoughts in disorder. As I walked, I searched frustratedly for Master, who should have been there to watch over us. My inner force was already thoroughly depleted. The only thing keeping me going was the fact that Ah Yi had almost died.

Maybe Master couldnt find us?

Or, was Master just not watching over us at all?

I had no energy. I could only hold Ah Yi and drop to my knees in the frigid seawater.

There was only one thing I could do

Master, I beg you to find us!

I clenched my fists, trying to recall Uncle Wangs disgusting face and emit a savage aura of death.

Kill!

You are alright.

I opened my eyes. A hot flame flickered within my body.

A slight smile covered Masters face. He sat next to me, one hand on Ah Yi, one hand on me. I looked at Ah Yi next to me. His face was pale white, his lips purple and slightly parted. I wanted to call out his name, but all I could spit out was a mouthful of saltwater.

Ah Yi opened his eyes. Weakly, he said, Thanks, Master, you inhuman little

[106] 200 meters is about 650 feet

Thanks, deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Thanks death blade

Hey everyone, I'm taking a rare break from work to travel a bit. Work has been crazy so it's much needed. I'll be back next week and start translating again. I'm taking advantage of the travel time to do two things. 1) Read Stellar Transformations and 2) Power through the remaining Chinese text of Kung Fu that I haven't read. Both are going well. Back with a new update hopefully by Thursday or Friday!

Will be waiting for your update.
    Meanwhile, keep well...

Waiting, Have a good break!

Cool thanks for letting us know, enjoy s stellar transformation....zhu xian was also a good read

Seafloor (3)

I nodded, spit out a mouthful of saltwater, and weekly said, Master?

I saw a shark swimming toward a group of anglers, he replied apologetically. I was worried the shark would hurt someone, so I went over to drive it away. When I looked back, you two were nowhere to be seen. The sea was very murky, so I was extremely nervous. Luckily, you sent out your aura of death, so I knew where you were and could drag you to the shore.

My eyes glared. Go to hell, Master, I said.

Red-faced, he replied, There is no need to bring it up again. It is Masters fault.

Yi Jing sat next to me, her eyes red. I dont want to watch you practice martial arts ever again. I was frightened to death.

Master removed his hand from our backs. You are alright, he said. Continue to circulate your Qi and drink some ginger tea. You will be fine. He placed his hands on the metal container of ginger tea, using his inner force to transfer heat inside and warm it up.

Trembling all over, Ah Yi and I drank the hot tea and watched the waves surge amidst the sinister looking sea. With a forced smile, I said, Hei hei, its a thousand times more scary inside than outside.

Ah Yi shrunk inward and nodded. Youre right. If I have to go down there again just kill me.

I looked at the steam rising from the ginger tea and grasped Yi Jings hand. Yeah. Ill die before I go down again.

Master sat there guiltily, saying nothing.

And yet incredibly, a few days later, Ah Yi and I were back in the sea walking around, looking for whatever heavy things Master randomly tossed out. Why? Perhaps, I thought, it was because we were all lunatics.

As for that New Years Eve, after saying farewell to Ah Yi and Yi Jing, I dragged master back home with me to eat Reunion dinner [107]. That Reunion dinner turned into one of the most unforgettable New Years Eves in my life.

Dad still hadnt returned to Taiwan. The house was packed with a bunch of crazy relatives and guests, even that utterly detestable Uncle Wang. Three large tables had been set up in the living room, covered with the sumptuous New Years Eve dinner. The loser adults smoked and chatted. A dozen or so random kids who I didnt even know rolled around next to the sofa pretending to be Gold Lion, Silver Lion [108] and other such TV characters. Everyone was talking and laughing; I was a complete outsider.

I stood next to the dining table, but after realizing there was no place for me, I decided to grab a few plates of food from the kitchen, drag Master upstairs, and have a comfortable Reunion dinner with him in the cave.

But once we stepped foot onto the staircase, Mom spotted us.

Yuan Zai! Come eat Reunion dinner! When she saw Master behind me, she said, Teacher, why dont you eat with us?

With utmost courtesy, Master cupped his hands before his chest and made a slight bow. He gave me a look that indicated we should go down to eat. I grabbed him resentfully and took him over to stand next to the table of loser adults.

Where did you go today, Yuan Zai? Youre filthy! Aiya, you as well, Teacher. You look just that same as Yuan Zai. Haha. Fat Auntie Zhang looked at us, and with a fake smile, dragged a chair from the corner for me to sit it. I just looked at it. She dragged over another chair for Master. Two stinking salted fish who had just climbed up out of the ocean squeezed their way into the already packed table.

It was a truly terrible Reunion dinner.

The stench emanating from Master and I filled the living room. Minding my own business, I got some food for Master, and the two of us started eating silently. Everyone at the table frowned. Yuan Zai, Mom blurted, You and your teacher go shower, and then come back to eat, okay?

I looked at Master. He nodded, red-faced, and the both of us stood up to go take showers.

So stinky, laughed Uncle Wang.

I stopped walking.

I looked at his fat face out of the corner of my eye, which seemed to make him a bit uneasy. He let out a loud laugh and said, I heard Yuan Zais grades havent been very good lately. Hei hei. Hopefully his Teacher can help him a bit more.

My sharp eyes fixed on Uncle Wangs dirty hand, which was currently on Moms thigh.

I glanced at Master, and then, without asking his permission, walked over to Uncle Wang.

With a cheeky grin, he said, Yuan Zai, are you really coming over so soon to ask for a red envelope? [109] As he spoke, he placed his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it affectionately.

Uncle Wang. I looked at the fat pig coldly.

Good boy, he said with a dainty laugh.

Burn in hell!

Ah?

I grabbed Uncle Wangs hand and slowly twisted it. There were no ridiculous cracking sounds, but the pigs hand snapped. [110] On the table was a hotpot, already half cold. I picked it up and slowly poured it over Uncle Wangs head. With his hand in such pain, he dared not move, and could only allow the the thick hotpot broth to flow down his head.

Everyone in the living room watched in shock. Auntie Zhangs chopsticks clattered to the floor.

If I ever see you again, your hand will end up like this wall. Staring Uncle Wang straight in his ashen face, I put down the hotpot and then slashed my hand at the wall, which was covered with ridiculous fake art. A banging sound rang out as a thick chunk disappeared into dust.

All my relatives watched, stupefied. Moms mouth hung open. Ignoring their questioning eyes, I dragged the perfectly calm and collected Master into the kitchen. We grabbed four plates of food and went upstairs to eat. We didnt shower.

I sat on the ground next to master and started eating. Other than the sound of Uncle Wangs wailing, downstairs was completely quiet.

Im sorry. My mouth was filled with food. I didnt dare look Master in the eyes.

No need. You make your own decisions. Gobbling down his food, Master looked at me. He continued, You have your own sense of justice. I have faith in my disciple.

Thank you, Master, I said gratefully.

Master shook his head and stuffed some more Chinese Mustard Greens [111] into his mouth. I should thank you, kid, for inviting me to your house for Reunion dinner.

I looked at him, thinking about his lonely life.

Regardless of whether his deranged wuxia recollections were made up or not, he must have family somewhere in the world. Even if he was just an old veteran come to Taiwan from across the strait, he still should have friends to look after him, shouldnt he?

[107] This is an important tradition, a dinner comparable to that on Christmas Eve or Thanksgiving perhaps http://tinyurl.com/p3s39rj
    [108] Im not sure who exactly these characters are. If anyone can find some information about them it would be great. In Chinese its 金狮王 and 银狮王.
    [109] Red envelopes are the traditional way to give gift money, especially around New Years time http://tinyurl.com/6db5uw
    [110] The word used in Chinese literally means dislocate. But only a joint can be dislocated, not a hand or wrist, so Im changing the translation a bit. Im not sure if the author is trying to impart the lack of knowledge of breaking versus dislocation, or whether the author himself is not sure, or whether its one of those Mandarin v. English things. In any case, until I talk to Giddens Ko personally to clarify, Im going with the scientifically correct translation.
    [111] This is apparently a Taiwan specialty dish that I couldnt find any existing English information about. Its called 长年菜. If anyone can find some info about it in English, that would be great.
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-29-14 at 10:38 PM. Reason: fixed mistakes found by ycb5959 and honaidy

Thanks. It's getting action time.

Sorry it's been such a long time. I've been really busy. Also, I want to report that I finished the whole novel. And I have to say....

click to show/hide spoilers
    The ending is definitely very moving. Even in this spoiler form, I won't reveal what happens, but I will say that it is not at all what I expected. And now I understand why this book is placed in the author's "horror" series category.

The ending of the story really shook me, to the point that I almost don't want to continue translating it. Now that I know all the details, it's emotionally difficult for me to keep going. But I will keep it up. I think the novel is very thought-provoking, and definitely more than just a wuxia action story. There is definitely some philosophy in the story, and I hope that when it's over, all the readers and fans will have some good discussions about it.

I request that anyone who has read the story in Chinese please refrain from putting any spoilers into the thread. For a story such as this, it would truly ruin it for those who have not read the story.