Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Deathblade
    Very short trip. Thank for a fantastic update.

Thanks deathblade

Deathblade,

Your description of the ending makes me incredibly interested on what actually happens.

Thanks!!!!

Spelling error:

A dozen or so random kids who I didnt eve know rolled around next to the sofa pretending to be Gold Lion...

should be: "even"

Even if he was just an old veteran come to Taiwan from across the STRAIGHT, he still should have friends to look after him, shouldnt he?

I think you meant STRAIT.

lawwoo: Thanks, it was just a weekend getaway to Qinhuangdao. Nice seafood!
    tape: Stay tuned! There's quite a bit left before we get to the ending. ;-)
    ycb5959 and honaidy: thanks for the catches I'll fix them later. :-)
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks deathblade

Seafloor (4)

Master, its its 1987 A.D., do you have any family? The chicken leg tasted really good.

Master nodded, but then shortly after, shook his head. Im not really sure.

Not sure? I asked. You never got married?

He shook his head. No! I could never stop thinking about Hua Maoer. How could I marry someone else? Although, theres a girl who calls herself my daughter. She moved herself in to my place in Yuanlin, so I really dont want to go back there. Ai, do not bring up this strange matter.

I thought it was a little funny, but a little bleak as well. An old man, a martial arts master, driven out of the house by his own daughter. With no home to return to, Master could only sleep in the trees on Ba Gua mountain, or occasionally, if it got too late, he would sleep alongside me in the cave.

I thought back to the past few months, and all the Qi techniques and palm strikes Master had taught me. The later part of his life had been one of destitution and disappointment, lunacy and foolishness. All his hopes and attachments to justice, were now placed upon me and Ah Yi

Call Ah Yi and tell him to come over! said Master.

Were going to practice martial arts tonight? I asked, grabbing the phone.

Master nodded, so I called Ah Yi, who was currently plundering red envelopes from his relatives. I told him to come over to practice.

Half an hour later, Ah Yi climbed up into the cave, albeit looking a bit unwilling.

Here you go. Master pulled two old-fashion red envelopes out from behind his back and gave them to us.

His face wrinkled with a smile, and he said, You must continue to do your best in your martial arts practice!

Ah Yi and I grabbed our red envelopes. From within my heart welled up strong emotions, and I wanted to cry.

Master, you are truly filled with the spirit of loyalty, said Ah Yi with a smile. Disciple will definitely study his boxing skills very hard, and eliminate the scum of the martial world!

Master, I said, Even though you wont tell us the rest of the story, I know that Lan Jin is alive, right? Dont worry! One day Ah Yi and I will kill him!

Master appeared to be quite moved. He hugged us and said, Great! The day will eventually come to get rid of him!

Inside each red envelope from Master was a green one-hundred yuan bill.

I always carried that red envelope in the pocket of my jacket. It accompanies me on a path that can never be retread, always warming my heart.

Thanks, deathblade for the snippet!

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks, deathblade for the snippet!
    Haha yeah, a midget post. This is the end of the "Seafloor" section. Next up is "Three Hundred Years."

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Three Hundred Years (1)

During the New Years Period, Ah Yi and I scampered about on the seafloor of Wang Gong. Yi Jing was always there at the shore, watching over pot after pot of ginger tea.

Walking about on the seafloor as training involves many aspects. Practicing standing on the seafloor helped develop outstanding balance. And it took natural control of inner force to be able to walk freely. On the seafloor, one must endure intense pressure and fear of course, I did my best to avoid entering the ocean trench.

Sometimes, Master would instruct us to practice palm techniques on the seafloor. Everything became heavier and slower. By oh-so-slowly using Heaven Reaching Primary Destruction Hand to strike the reefs, we left our youthful mark on the seafloor.

On the sixth day of New Years [112], Yi Jing went back to school to attend tutoring classes. Ah Yi and I viewed school work as pretty much useless, so we continued our special kung fu training. That day, as soon as the sun appeared, we were on the seafloor picking up garbage, all the way until lunchtime. And then Master began teaching us Heaven Reaching Sword technique.

He gave each of us a straight tree branch, and the three of us began practicing sword techniques on the beach, the shadows of our sword dancing and flowing.

At first, Master just gave a simple description of the main points of attacking and defending with a sword. Sword technique is definitely not about sticking rigidly to certain sword forms and postures. So-called techniques are tangible; what is tangible has flaws. Therefore, only if a sword technique has no technique can it be considered top class. To have no technique requires incredible speed, and then the stances cannot be followed.

Hearing this, Ah Yis face seemed to be covered with confusion. I had to admit, however, that this truth was contained in the wuxia novel The Smiling Proud Wanderer. When Feng Qingyang [113] taught the Dugu Nine Swords to Linghu Chong, he said something very similar.

So, Master did not teach us the profound details of Heaven Reaching Sword, but instead expended much effort instructing Ah Yi and I how to position our bodies, and how to make up for our poor posturing by making our bodies move incredibly fast.

Master, shouldnt you teach us the details of sword stances first? I asked. Isnt it a bit too soon to ask us to defeat stances without using stances? My own stances seemed to be in complete disarray, without any killing power whatsoever. I was thinking that perhaps he should teach us the basic stances of Heaven Reaching Sword. After all, before you can destroy the old and establish the new, you need something old that can be destroyed.

I cannot remember. Master let out a sigh. Three hundred years have passed, he said, I have thoroughly forgotten the sword stances. I just remember, the meaning of the sword ah, forget about it. Your Masters age is limited, I will just lead you directly to the advanced level.

Master wanted us to use sword techniques that stemmed from our hearts. Watching us from off to the side, he said, If a sword technique truly stems from you yourself, then it is a living sword technique. Even if you see the method with which your Master attacks, you cannot just lap up the information without digesting it. You must take the true meaning of the sword stances and assimilate them into your own sword theory. That is a top class sword technique.

Ah Yi didnt want to learn sword stances, so he was happy to dance about crazily on the beach with his sword. Master watched him and then shook his head. This sword technique truly is a stance-less technique among stance-less techniques. Sadly, it would collapse in the first blow in a real fight.

Master looked at the tree branch in his hand and then sighed. Lan Jin, that beast, said one thing that was true. A sword is used for killing, not for practicing martial arts. True sword technique, the type designed to kill, should only require one stance. Yuan Zai, Ah Yi, watch carefully.

The words barely out of his mouth, Masters body blurred into motion, and he flew past us. Suddenly, the tree branch in his hand slashed against several large rocks, flashing like lightning as he attacked.

He suddenly stopped, standing in front of us. We stared at him, somewhat in a daze. Yuan Zai, Ah Yi. How many sword strikes did Master make?

Ah Yi started counting how many large rocks there were. As for me, I just said, Seventeen.

Surprised, Master said, Correct, seventeen! Very good. But, now answer me this; how many rocks did Master kill?

Every one! answered Ah Yi hurriedly.

I thought for a moment, then pointed at two rocks. Those two, it seems. Right?

Master nodded. Correct, he said, with a note of praise. You really do have natural talent. Master softly kicked the two that he had killed. They immediately collapsed in half.

Senior Disciple really does deserve his title, said Ah Yi with a forced smile.

I was pretty shocked myself. It turned out that I really could make out the details of Masters lightning-like moves. I felt extremely happy. Perhaps in the age that had seen the invention of atomic bombs, I really could be considered a genius of weaponry.

As evening fell, we headed back to Changhua on the virtually deserted city bus. Master demonstrated the particulars of how to move our bodies. The handful of passengers on the bus watched, baffled. Ah Yi and I watched Master twisting back and forth, imagining how our bodies would move according to our own understanding of the sword.

In this manner, Ah Yi and I spent the time from morning to noon traversing the seafloor, and the afternoon practicing sword techniques on the beach. No, we were creating sword techniques. Sometimes, I would hum some trendy pop tunes and dance around with my sword, trying to establish my own rhythm. Sometimes Ah Yi and I would follow the example of Master in the past, practicing our sword on the seafloor, amidst the rushing tide. But usually the tree branches we used couldnt withstand the force, and would break. Master would say, Fools! To imbue your weapon with inner force is not such an easy matter.

I understood. But even after several days, we found no success. We could only return to the shore and prance around with our swords.

Then at night, I would return to my cold home. Day after day, until school started again, Ah Yi and I practiced our kung fu. Because of the special training, we advanced by leaps and bounds. Ah Yi could withstand seven poisonous snakes, and I could take thirty-six. I could probably handle even more, but master said that it was difficult to catch so many types of snakes.

Also, having so many snakes coiled up in the cave started to produce a disgusting reek. Considering how much they had helped us in our martial arts training, we couldnt bring ourselves to eat them, so one by one we took them out into the wild and let them go.

Not long after school resumed, Dad returned.

The cave wasnt a cave any more. He hired some workers to lay two more walls. They also repaired the hole in the wall of the living room. Of course he would order this kind of work.

And of course, the living room once again was occupied, to become the rotten adults smoke-filled playground. Their mindless, boisterous chatting constantly filled the air.

I didnt say much when I returned from school that day, nor did I take off my school uniform. Without even taking my backpack off, I used palm after palm to create a large hole in my room. It took 16 palms to restore my room to normal. But I didnt knock down the wall that Master had destroyed with one sword. After all, if the wind blew in from two directions, everything in my room would be a complete shambles.

[112] For anyone not familiar with Chinese New Year, or Spring Festival, it is an affair of many days. If you want to learn more about it: http://tinyurl.com/7vrdd
    [113] Feng Qingyang is of course a character in The Smiling Proud Wanderer: http://tinyurl.com/mvt895a

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

arigato as always

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    arigato as always
    Don't you mean "xie xie"? Haha.