Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks to everyone for your words of support! Im recovering well. The stitches in my arm will come out in about 5 days. After that, my severed tendons will need about 1 month to heal. In the meantime, I will continue to work and teach, albeit a bit more slowly, and with more help from my coteacher.

Now I finally understand why in wuxia novels they will sever peoples tendons to cripple their martial arts! Thankfully modern medicine is much more advanced, and all my martial arts will be restored quickly. Next time I will be more careful when making a "cave." Haha.

I experimented with some voice translation software but it turned out to be too frustrating for me. I'm going to just wait till I can type with both hands. Basically, my right hand fingers aren't affected at all, only the thumb. And the tendon connected to my thumb wasn't severed, only injured 80%. I think I should be able to start typing relatively normally in about two weeks.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting updates as quickly as

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i59.tinypic.com/11jlow3.jpg')
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Good to hear from you!
    Hope the old master is taking care of you well, and not feed you poisonous snakes for faster recovery...

get well soon, deathblade

Deathblade. Please let the hands recover totally before you do anything with them. Hurting them now will cause long term pain. God bless.

as much as i would love to read a new update from you, i would hate for there to be any more (unknown) damage to your arm. please take it easy, take the full month to fully heal.

i think u are trying to test your "Kung Fu". and you failed at your test Deathblade.. Kidding..

GWS brother....

Holy hell dude! Be careful, recover well, and don't push anything that might impede your recovery, including typing/translating!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I agree with the comments above. Prioritize on getting well first, everything else comes second.

Meanwhile you can read and enjoy the other translator's current ongoing works. And wait for new posts just like the rest of us. XD

Sorry to hear this, deathblade. Have you tried a snake bite once a day to heal it quicker?

Ok, stitches are out. If you don't get grossed out by that kind of thing, here's the video. Now need to just wait for the tendons to heal up. Thanks everyone for your words of support!

View My Video

Glad to know you are recovering well, deathblade!

Get well soon, deathblade.

God bless.

Hi everybody. My wound is healed, the splint is off, and I'm working on getting my hand back to full range of mobility. Right now, I can't make a fist or even stretch my hand backwards. The recovery part hurts, more than the injury. I have a lot of stretching to get my tendons back working again. Thankfully, my typing ability is about 95% back to normal. And so, the translation will finally continue. Sorry again for the long delay, I hope to get the story finished as soon as possible.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/2i0g56h.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i61.tinypic.com/6px3lu.jpg')

Three hundred years (2)

Dad was mad, of course, and called me down to the living room to reprimand me. Various uncles also offered kindly admonishments not to randomly destroy parts of the house. I could only listen coolly.

The old me would have done his best to put on a smiling face and pretend to appreciate the vile tender feelings of the rotten adults. But now, even giving those loser grown-ups a straight look was a waste of my time. I really couldnt understand how they were capable of this marathon of useless talk. Did they really not have anything better to do?

The uncles urged me to be a good boy, and then interrogated me about where I was studying kung fu. In 1987 Taiwan, Taekwondo schools were everywhere, so they started speculating that I was learning Taekwondo and had strayed down an evil path.

In any case, Dad wasnt really sure and didnt seem to want to actually know whether or not I was studying Taekwondo.

Uncle Wangs hand was wrapped up with a thick bandage of Chinese medicine and emitted a strong, musky smell. He sat next to Dad, shouting out a bunch of crap, describing my fiendishness on New Years Eve. The more Dad heard the more mad he got. After all, I had lost him quite a bit of face.

I listened quietly, my mind filled with randomly changing sword forms. I kept thinking about them until suddenly something stabbed toward my face, and then my mind returned to the present.

When I regained awareness of my surroundings, I found that my fingers were clasping a feather duster. A feather duster that had been about to smack me in the face.

Uncle Wangs left hand held the other end of the duster.

Hed gone so far as to take my Dads place to teach me a lesson?

Is it convenient to use your left hand to eat? I stared at Uncle Wang. That pig.

How dare you! shouted Uncle Wang furiously. Let go immediately!

After this you can use your dick to eat. The fingers of my left hand held the feather duster. My right hand grabbed Uncle Wangs good left hand. I slowly twisted it.

I shouldered my backpack and went to the kitchen to grab two dishes of food. In the living room, Uncle Wangs loud wails once again filled the living room.

No one dared obstruct me. No one dared to call out to me. So I went upstairs, closed the door, and picked up a piccolo to practice sword techinques. I imagined that I was Huang Yaoshi, practicing Jade Flute Swordplay. [115]

In the following months, Master, Ah Yi and I spent our time in my small room, our bodies twisting and leaping, our swords flourishing. Master would play the role of an enemy in order to inspire growth in our attack methods. As such, my sword technique began to emerge, one drop at a time.

Ah Yi would also engage in strange matches with master, the two of them competing like a dragon and a tiger. Even though his sword technique was bizarre and disorderly, after ten or so practice battles, he produced a usable set of strange and unique sword stances. In the most perilous of circumstances, they were even able to shock Master.

The two of you have progressed quite a bit recently, praised Master. Very good, very good. Yuan Zai, you have followed my path of developing a fast sword. Ah Yi, you have created your own bizarre sword technique. Both are excellent. Unarmed kung fu forms are just the same as sword forms, the key is to have no set forms. It is not enough to have a quick and clever in your use of forms. You must practice day and night, create your forms from your own heart, carve out your own techniques. In a few days we will begin to practice lightness arts. Mastering lightness arts will profoundly benefit your body, and your sword and unarmed techniques will quickly become top-rate.

Master, when Lan Jin was slaughtering the martial world and you were in hiding and training your sword technique, didnt you create Twin Consummate Palm and Sword skill? And didnt you say that the Twin Consummate Palm and Sword could shock Heaven and Earth, and make gods and ghosts weep? Is it hard to learn? I was currently dripping with sweat, gripping a table leg in place of a sword.

Yeah! said Ah Yi, who was also covered in sweat. Even if you dont teach it to us, cant you do a demonstration? Open our eyes a bit? He dropped his diabolo stick to the ground.

Looking a bit embarrassed, Master said, I forgot that too. After three hundred years Ive forgotten enough things to fill an ox-cart.

You forgot about something that important? I said, mouth gaping.

Wah! laughed Ah Yi. Isnt Lan Jin still alive? What happens if you run into him? The most powerful weapon you ever created is gone, right?

Master sat on my bed and said candidly, There is no harm in forgetting. It is not possible to predict when the final battle with Lan Jin will be. Will it be planned, or a surprise? I am old, and even though Lan Jin is a few years younger than me, he cannot defeat the enemy that is age any more than me. Furthermore, the world is a huge place. Who knows, we may never meet, and might just die of old age.

Even though the world is a huge place, I said, Lan Jin is, after all, your archenemy. Why dont you go looking after him to get your revenge?

Master pulled a black pot out of his bag. Even though revenge is justice, I will never forget the lesson the Founder taught me. Lan Jin could be anywhere under the vast sky. My chances of encountering him are minute. Rather than spend vast amounts of time searching for him to get revenge, I should spend as much energy as possible promoting justice, which is my primary responsibility. Later, this responsibility will be placed on your shoulders. You must definitely surpass me, must definitely develop peerless martial ability, must definitely believe in yourselves. In this way, you can contend with the never-ending power of evil in the world.

Having said this, Master pulled out some food items from his bag.

Were going to have hotpot? asked Ah Yi.

Master nodded. I picked some wild herbs from the mountains, and killed a few little animals. Just use inner force to heat the broth in the pot and we can eat. This is another benefit of practicing kung fu.

Then the three of us, Master and disciples, put the wild produce into the pot, added some water, then took turns using our inner force to heat it up. A fragrant aroma wafted up from the pot.

The broth, heated by inner force was incredibly delicious, and worthy of promoting nationwide.

No need for electricity, no need for pollution-causing charcoal. Furthermore, it could help you train your body, and can be eaten any time.

Ill digress a moment to explain that from then on, the three of us would use inner force to make hotpot, rice gruel, boiled meat and vegetables. Sometimes master would heat up broth and add in some hand-picked mountain bamboo shoots and wild hare hed caught with his own hands, to make a stir-fry dish. But Ah Yi and I wouldnt eat it. Masters hands were too dirty.

Master sipped some wild herb broth and said, Later, when your lightness arts have developed enough, when you are capable of perform sneak attacks or fleeing quickly, Master will lead you into acts of true chivalry, and let you experience the true martial world.

Ah Yi nodded. But who exactly will we be sneak attacking or assassinating? What if we get caught by the police? Dont tell me youll just say were performing acts of chivalry? Ah Yi pulled a carrot out of the hotpot.

You will understand when the time comes, said Master. I will teach you martial arts at night, and during the day you will attend your school. I will scout around to look for evildoers. Ai, every society has villains. With some, teaching them a lesson with fists is enough. Others, must be outright slain.

[114] No, its not Piccolo from DragonBall but rather a type of flute: http://tinyurl.com/ahfrep
    [115] Huang Yaoshi is one of the Five Great martial artists during the Song Dynasty in Jin Yong fiction. This link has information about him as well as the Jade Flute Swordplay http://tinyurl.com/3wkrelu
    Last edited by deathblade; 08-24-14 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fixed mistake found by xiaomi

Thanks a lot deathblade,
    and welcome back

And...he's back!

Welcome back deathblade, and thanks!

Hi deathblade, good luck with the long term recovery.

Man, good to see you back, but make sure you take it easy. I cringe every time I see those stitches. Whew!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thank you deathblade.