Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks god my prayer during he-man's leave announcement was answer.
    Deathblade. Welcome back and hope your hands are good as new. TQ for the long translation.
    Cheers.

I would say thank you very much, but please don't push urself. getting the hands to 100% is the first priority. so i'll say may you have a speedy recovery

Thanks deathblade

Welcome back. Wonderful news that you are fit and able.

Thank you very much Deathblade, sorry to hear about your soreness during the recovery process.

Thanks Deathblade!

WOOOT!!!! DEATHABADE IS BACK!!! Glad that your almost fully recovered and thanks for the chapter. :-)

Thanks deathblade

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm happy to be back and translating!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Three Hundred Years (3)

I gripped the hotpot in my hands and circulated my inner force. Master, society nowadays isnt like that. Sure there are good police and bad police, but the good police are in the majority. Why not just catch the bad guys and give them to the police to handle?

Yeah, said Ah Yi. On TV, the bad guy might kill the good guys friend, but after the good guy catches him, even though he wants to shoot him dead, hell grimly say something about handing him over to the law to face trial, or maybe something like, scum like you isnt worth dirtying my hands over. And then he hands over the bad guy to the police.

Movies always end with the good guy pointing a gun at the bad guys head, I chimed in. The bad guy begs for mercy, and then a bunch of good guys surround them, and they scream at the good guy not to do anything rash, that the law will provide a just solution. Or sometimes they just yell at him to not shoot, and say something like, If you shoot him, wont that mean youre just like him? And then the good guy has no choice to put the gun down, even though a bunch of his friends have already been killed. He curses the bad guy, and then leaves him for the police to handle.

Ah Yi continued, But the bad guy is usually stupid, and as soon as the good guy walks off, he tries to sneak attack him, and then the good guy has no choice but to kill him and end things.

I have never seen that kind of thing, said Master, but, I will not interfere with your idea of justice. The day will come when you will become great heroes, and you will face difficult situations. Situations in which you will face great pressure to make a move. In any case, as long as you follow your own conscience, Master will trust you.

At that time, Ah Yi and I didnt completely understand. But in my mind, Masters words really did seem to correspond to the situations found in wuxia novels.

In Jin Yong wuxia novels, you dont often see the police, or constables as they were called.

In Gu Long novels, you see constables a lot, but they are either useless imbeciles, or evil. The people who actually investigate the bizarre cases and arrest the killers are people like Lu Xiaofeng and Chu Liuxiang, who dont have any status at all in the yamen. [116]

Also, in the world of wuxia novels, you never see the hero kill the bad guy and then go to the yamen to report the case. And when Jianghu ruffians brazenly kill a bunch of people in the middle of the street, you rarely see the constables diligently showing up to handle the situation. Well, if they do, they usually just end up as cannon fodder.

Pretty much the only people who maintain peace in Jianghu are the heroes who take action according to their own beliefs.

If a hero had to check the law books before attacking, or drag the bad guys dead body in and report to the authorizes after the fight, he would definitely be a sucky hero, not free-spirited at all.

Also, the heroes in the novels always say: This time Ill break your legs, you dog. If I hear about you doing evil ever again, Ill destroy all the kung fu in your body! Or something like that. Conflicts in Jianghu are not resolved by the yamen, but by the judgement of the hero, or perhaps a group of heroes.

And yet, on the other hand, conflicts in Jianghu are also sometimes decided by the will of the ruffians and bandits, who use all their power, backed by their wicked philosophies, to commit countless atrocities.

I guess that since the yamens are so powerless, the heroes really have nt choice but to improve their skills, otherwise the powerful bad guys in Jianghu would decimate the common people, and that wouldnt be good at all.

But, what would Master do to punish the bad guys?

The Black Star Pistols [117] carried by bad guys nowadays are very powerful. We cant catch bullets with our bare hands. Although, Masters invisible sword aura was actually explosively powerful. He could knock down a bad guy at a distance with a table leg. By the time the bad guy drew his weapon, he would be chopped into two pieces But, was Master really going to teach us to kill people to carry out justice?

Maybe we would be good-for-nothing heroes. We could destroy their Black Star Pistols, give them a good beating, and then hand them over to the police. Being good-for-nothing wouldnt be that bad. Killing people would just be too horrific. And it would be just as horrific to have to deal with the corpses.

I didnt want to contemplate the matter any more.

What are you thinking about? Master said. The broth is boiling! He pulled a snail out with his chopsticks.

I grabbed a bowl full of wild mountain vegetables and tossed them in. Master, how did your big battle end?

Also, said Ah Yi, his face covered by the steam rising from the bowl, how did you end up living three hundred years? Do you have some secret technique to achieve the lifespan of a turtle? Can you teach us?

Master lowered the bowl in his hands, seeming to hesitate over something.

Time slowly returned to the dark, suffocating cave.

My palm was stabbed through by Lan Jins invisible sword aura, but I was still able to land a palm strike onto his head. Unfortunately, my Qi energy was waning, and all I accomplished was knocking him backwards. There was no time to lose. I lifted my sword up and stabbed forward crazily. But all I stabbed was the empty, silent air.

As I think back, I realize that I was too flustered. Because of a slight victory, I grew too anxious to go on the offensive. Vicious Lan Jin managed to conceal himself within the gusts of wind generated by the sword. He disappeared like a ghost.

Yet again, I held my breath. I clamped my left hand onto my thigh so that the blood would flow down my leg, and not create drops that Lan Jin could hear and use to locate me.

I was opposing a darkness within the darkness, and yet my heart felt no fear. I only concentrated on locating the injured demon.

Lan Jin had suffered internal injuries from my incredibly vicious palm just now, and had been stabbed by my sword somewhere between his shoulder and neck. Id also landed a palm strike on the top of his skull. But even though I seemed to have the upper hand, I needed to keep my cool, to ensure safety for the common people.

It seemed as if Lan Jin had fused himself with the darkness. Not a single sound could be heard.

Dont tell me hes dead? I couldnt help but ask myself. The sword in my hand didnt seem to agree.

Suddenly, I felt a coldness on my throat, which then turned into pain. I instantly stabbed my sword forward, but it stabbed into nothing. Suddenly a clash of metal could be heard, and I flew backwards.

So it turned out Lan Jin had been holding his breath and slowly searching out in the darkness with his sword, calmly seeking me. As soon as his sword had touched my throat, he tried to stab it through. But when I counterattacked, he suddenly dropped his sword and shifted positions, then launched a mighty palm strike toward my chest.

I slammed into the ground, and my sword went flying. Before I could get up, I was struck by another palm in the shoulder. Lan Jin had heard me fall and determined my position. Without taking time to retrieve his sword, hed attacked me with a palm strike. Tricky bastard. Very good. I was worried that he would hide himself again then somehow figure out another ruse to end my life. I didnt want to try to deal with every trick he could pull out. Instead, I would meet him palm to palm with all my strength against his!

[116] The yamen is where the local government operates out of http://tinyurl.com/pp5jd6l
    [117] This is a handgun of Chinese manufacture http://tinyurl.com/otl6sgm
    Last edited by deathblade; 08-24-14 at 03:45 AM. Reason: fixed typo, changed wording

thanks deathblade

Thanks!!!!

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade !

Thanks deathblade

Three Hundred Years (4)

Blood spewed from my throat, and my chest had sustained severe internal injuries. But the power in my palms surged. They carried with them a fierce wailing sound, a sound that surely came from the countless lives taken in the martial world. They issued out a sad and shrill cry.

Even though Lan Jins inner force was no match for mine, he was able to rely on the darkness to evade most of the power of my palms. Occasionally he would strike my body with his sword Qi. And so it was that in that dark crypt, the two of us relied on our viciousness to fight the most dangerous and intense final battle ever fought in the martial world.

Lan Jin was a genius of the type never before seen, his stances and techniques were the best under heaven. But as I said before, the benevolent is invincible in the end. With no regard to my life, I used the Twin Consummate Palm and Sword technique. The soaring palm power could not be defeated by Lan Jins sword Qi. My heart was filled with the desire to champion benevolence, to execute the demon. Finally, I was able to catch him. Our palms connected, and we began to compete with inner force.

You probably understand, pure inner force is the most dangerous of all, because there is no evading or hiding. Even if I was gained victory, I knew would have consumed vast amounts of energy. Coupled with my injuries, it was hard to say whether or not I would just die a few seconds after Lan Jin.

And so our roiling inner forces collided and struggled. My inner force was as fierce as the raging tide, and Lan Jins crashed down like a landslide, surging forward.

The raging tide and a landslide, we very nearly rent our Qi reservoirs into pieces.

But, time ticked by. Slowly but surely, my inner force began to weaken, and my mind began to grow murky. Lan Jins inner force was also dissipating. Yet weak as it was, he still continued to attack me, as if unable to stop. I gritted my, searching for the slightest shreds or vestiges of Qi within my acupuncture points and using it to defend against Lan Jin, who I knew was on the brink of death.

I really could not understand how Lan Jin, who's inner force was so much weaker than mine, could continue to fight against me so long. He truly was a fearsome opponent. My energy and my Qi were slowly dissipating, every single drop was being used up.

Just when it seemed as if I had not left even one strand of Qi, I felt that Lan Jins offense had become like gossamer threads. And at that moment I heard a soft gentle voice singing next to my ear. The lyrics of the song I knew quite well, and they moved me. It was Hua Maoer come to take me away.

And then, I laughed.

And this laugh carried me through 300 years.

Huh?" I said, puzzled.

"It was in this way, fallen down but our palms stuck together, that Lan Jin and I spent the next three hundred years. Afterwards, I shook my body clean of the yellow soil, and left that dreary cave, my mind still foggy. Masters voice trembled, as if he himself didnt believe the story.

And you just walked out? As if you had just woken up from sleeping? Ah Yi had been listening raptfully, the broth in the bowl long since grown cold.

Master furrowed his brow. A deep slumber of three hundred years certainly seems endless, but waking up is waking up, just as if from a huge dream."

I was baffled. Just as I was about to speak, Master continued, If you calculate it, the year I awoke was 1974 A.D. Of course, I did not realize that astonishing fact until I had gone through many things, experienced a lot of events. As for when I awoke, I had no idea. In the end, that was not the most important question.

Of course it wasnt the most important question. Yeah, I said. The most important thing was how you could lay in a cave for three hundred years and not die.

Master shook his head. No, that is not the most important point. The important thing was that upon awaking, Lan Jin was nowhere to be seen.

For a second, my heart stopped beating and I couldnt breathe.

Lan Jin was gone, said Master in a low voice, but he had left behind two characters.

Ah Yi and I held our breaths.

Wait for me. [118]

Masters eyes were opened wide, as if he were back in the yellow dust, staring at the two characters.

In those three hundred years, our inner force had not been completely depleted. It had something to do with the deep theories of Heaven Reaching Sects martial arts. In the course of our faceoff, Lan Jin and I had forced out each others latent potential. The fierce struggle of the two Qi forces within our bodies had transformed into a type of Qi circulation. The two pure streams of inner force never left our bodies. It was as if we had become chrysalises, struggling at deaths door.

Furthermore, the noxious subterranean fumes had forced us to hold our breath, down to the point that our basic life functions virtually ceased. We struggled together in the noxious air, which had not seen a ray of sunlight in a thousand years. That cave abounded with all sorts of fortuitous practical jokes, the poisonous air turning us into living zombies, dead, but not dead, for three hundred years.

Finally, one day, a group of villagers were digging a well, and dug right into the cave. The poisoned air slowly dissipated, like a magical seal on an ancient incantation slowly peeling away, and I gradually regained consciousness.

Upon awaking, my body was quite stiff, and my head murky. A few rays of sunlight pierced down into the cave, forcing my eyes open. At that time, I didnt know how long I had been asleep. Two hours? Half a day? A day? Or a month? The only thing I could be certain about was that Lan Jin was gone.

I mustered my strength and began to pull myself to my feet. After I saw Lan Jins message, I wondered why he hadnt killed me as I lay there. I fell, and continued to ponder the question. And then I caught sight of You Tanzhis pale, mummified corpse, the ice-cold iron chain, and the even colder Li Xunhuan. I was not surprised in the least by that. But when I caught sight of the endless forest of stone statues, I was shocked to the core.

What was this?

It turned out, the place where Lan Jin had engaged in our fight to the death was none other than the ancient and enigmatic mausoleum of Qin Shihuang! [119]

Of course, at the time, I had no idea that the stone statues of the warriors were funerary objects in Emperor Qins subterranean tomb. At the moment, I had no time to sit around wondering about it. I stood there loosening my body, trying to shake off three hundred years of lack of movement. I picked up my beautiful sword, whose luster had long since faded. Gritting my teeth, I climbed up out of the cave.

It wasnt easy, but I got out, and saw a group of strange people running away from me. Another monster! they cried out.

At that point I was certain that Lan Jin really had escaped ahead of me.

He truly was a troublesome devil.

Later on, I wandered around aimlessly around Xian. Everywhere I went, people pointed at me and my strange clothes. If I tried to talk to anyone, they would instantly say I was a lunatic. I got beaten up a few times for no apparent reason. My martial arts had not recovered, so they were true beatings. Each time, I ended up on the ground, wondering if I really was a lunatic. After all, anyone who told a story of sleeping through 300 years would be called a lunatic, no matter where they were.

[118] In Chinese it is only two characters, in English three words.
    [119] This is of course the famous Terracotta army http://tinyurl.com/2vza8l
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-18-15 at 02:18 AM. Reason: fixed mistake found by 9dragons, fixed some small mistakes

great comeback with fast updates - Thanks!

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Lan Jin was a genius of the type never before seen, his stances and techniques were the best under heaven. But as I said before, the benevolent is invincible in the end. With no regard to my life, I used the Twin Consumate

Even if I was gained victory, I knew would have consumed vast amounts of energy. Coupled with my injuries, it was hard to say whether or not I would just die a few seconds after Lan Jin.

I really could not understand how Lan Jin, who's inner force was so much weaker than mine, could continue to fight against me so long. He truly was a fearsome opponent. My energy and my Qi were slowly dissipating, every single drop was being used up.

It turned out, the place where Lan Jin had engaged in our fight to the death was none other than the ancient and enigmatic mausoleum of Qin Shihuang! [119]
    Some minor corrections:
    1. First sentence above is a run-on. Maybe use semicolon.
    2. Consummate misspelled. Maybe check previous entries too.
    3. Even if I was gained victory... > you can revise.
    4. "who's inner force" > change to whose

Some observations:
    1. The author obviously did his homework, as the tomb was indeed discovered in 1974.
    2. Hard to imagine the artifacts remained intact from "the most dangerous and intense final battle ever fought."