Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks Deathblade!

Thanks for the translation, this is the novel where I want to know the ending the most.

Thanks for another one!

Thanks Deathblade

Paper Airplane (3)

But what? asked Ah Yi.

Master scratched his head. Lan Jins martial arts are very advanced, extremely advanced. It is impossible that he would only inflict such light injuries. But right before the killer attacked, he said something to me. Ive come for you. It seems as if it really was Lan Jin. Perhaps his martial arts regressed?

Master untied the frog buttons of his Tang suit, revealing a wound on his shoulder.

Even stranger, Lan Jin has two shining blue eyes. But this killer had no eyes. Master furrowed his brow.

No eyes? I asked.

The killers eye sockets were completely empty, there were no eyes whatsoever.

How creepy! I said. Dont tell me he figured out your position by listening to the changes in the wind?

Ah Yi chimed in: Maybe Lan Jins eyes got dug out by someone! A person like him doesnt deserve any compassion!

Everything that happened occurred three hundred years ago. My memories of Lan Jins appearance hav already grown fuzzy. When you add in the rapid aging, it makes it really hard for me to decide who the man last night was. The only things I remember about Lan Jin are his two unsettling blue eyes. I remember them very clearly. Perhaps the killer really was Lan Jin, perhaps not.

The hotpot in Ah Yis hand slowly started to boil again. Other than Lan Jin and us, he said, are there any other true martial arts masters in the world?

Master looked as perplexed as usual. Perhaps the killer was sent by Lan Jin to assassinate me. But youre right. It seems unimaginable that there are high level masters in the world other than Lan Jin who would teach people such fearsome arts.

I thought about it for a moment. Maybe that old guy really was Lan Jin.

Master, you finally got your revenge! said Ah Yield. We should celebrate!

I am afraid, said Master, my heart feels not an iota of the pleasure of having taken revenge.

Not an iota.

A life and death battle that had stretched out over 300 years, had been decided in one flash of a moment.

But the hatred that had fueled the revenge could not dissipate in the twinkling of an eye.

Perhaps master had entered some paradoxical void, depressed and unable to accept the reality of vengeance.

Master and disciples, the three of us, casually ate our hotpot. I munched on a wild mushroom and thought to myself: Had Master buried the killers corpse somewhere on Bagua Mountain?

It wasnt a happy feeling knowing that someone had died in your room.

I looked at the quilt on my bed. A quilt that had wrapped up a dead person.

Ai

Tonight I would just use inner force to keep myself warm.

The foot shall not touch the ground.

Ah Yi and I had our backpacks on, and Yi Jing stood next to us.

We had just finished eating some Changhua Ba-wan [128] that was so delicious it made you want to cry. We walked out of the shop, and it was then that Master said he wanted to teach us lightness arts.

Ah Yi scratched his head and then threw his backpack down. The foot shall not touch the ground?

Master nodded. One of the primary training methods of lightness arts is that the foot shall not touch the ground.

Confused, Yi Jing said, Why can your foot not touch the ground?

Master replied, One top of the head of the Giant Buddha, I put two big rocks with the characters You Succeed written on them. They have to bring those rocks back to me. I will wait in Yuan Zais bedroom for them. Yi Jing, you return home. It will take much effort for them to return and meet me.

I thought to myself: The Giant Buddha is really tall. Master will definitely be hiding behind us. If we fall, hell catch us.

Ah Yi must have been thinking the same thing. He slapped my shoulder and said, Lets make it a contest and see who can get back to Master first! With that, he started to race off down the street. Except Master grabbed him.

The foot shall not touch the ground, he said with a smile, means that you are not permitted to place your feet on the ground.

Ah Yi and I were stupefied. Master continued, You are only allowed to move forward by placing your feet on the telephone poles and store signs. If the telephone poles and store signs are too far apart, then you may step on the rooftops or balconies. Once you reach Ba Gua mountain, you may step on the trees. In any case, this is the shortcut to learning how to fly across the rooftops. [128]

I didnt quite understand. Why? I asked.

Ah Yi was getting angry. Master, theres a lot of people around. Are you trying to get us to look stupid on purpose?

At this point, even Yi Jing looked a bit skeptical.

Master, I said, didnt you say that we arent allowed to let people see our martial arts? You want us to go jumping around right in the middle of the city, isnt that a bit contradictory?

Master nodded. You do have a point.

In unison, Ah Yi and I both said, Lets wait until night!

Master shook his head. Since you are not allowed to show off your martial arts, you just need to run a bit faster, and do not let anyone see you.

What?! I said, shocked.

Quickly! he yelled. The masters orders shall not be disobeyed!

Ah Yi and I looked at each other, unable to wrap our minds about what Master was thinking.

Master grabbed us and forcefully tossed us up onto the telephone poles. We hastily steadied our legs, each of us standing on a telephone pole, one leg on the pole, one leg lifted into the air. Passersby stared at us curiously.

From down below, Master called up, There are many people down here, begin running!

Of course we had to run! It was so embarrassing!

As far as Ah Yi and I were concerned, the next telephone pole was way too far away. The only thing we could jump to next were streetlights. Unfortunately, I jumped a bit too far and fell down onto a car parked on the street. Ah Yis jump was too light. He tried to grab back onto the telephone pole, but then tumbled down.

Looking up from below, I shouted, Rip off your school logo! Quickly!

I ripped the school logo off of my pocket and jumped upwards as hard as I could. I flipped onto the telephone pole and jumped toward the next shop sign.

It was in this haphazard manner that Ah Yi and I jumped from telephone pole to light pole to shop sign through the city center. We were like the Mario brothers.

Thats right, I was really confused.

Why did I have to follow Masters instructions, hopping around the city, my face burning red?

[127] Ba-wan is a kind of Taiwanese snack food. http://tinyurl.com/otjny7j
    [128] What Im translating as fly across the rooftops is a cool idiom that literally translates as "to fly across rooftops and vault over walls," and is often used to describe the flying about that goes on in wuxia novels.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

thanks for the translation
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Another update!
    Thanks!

Thanks deathblade!

thanks deathblade

Somehow I feel that the corpse is Lan Jin. Can't explain the light attacks. Perhaps Lan Jin trained a disciple who removed both his master's eyes and martial arts as some form of karmic retribution? The main suspect is pretty obvious. A bit of an anti-climatic battle and empty revenge. Well, looking forward to some more crazy martial arts training and back story.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    Somehow I feel that the corpse is Lan Jin. Can't explain the light attacks. Perhaps Lan Jin trained a disciple who removed both his master's eyes and martial arts as some form of karmic retribution? The main suspect is pretty obvious. A bit of an anti-climatic battle and empty revenge. Well, looking forward to some more crazy martial arts training and back story.
    Your theory will for the most part be proved right or wrong in about two updates. Wahahahahaha.

From previous posts, I don't expect the ending/events to be very normal at all. The main suspect doesn't seem to be that THAT obvious, but I do have my own suspect and maybe it is.

Thanks deathblade

Paper Airplane (4)

I looked at Ah Yi, battling to keep his balance on the telephone pole. How could I give up?

The doubt I had felt while traversing the sea floor once again appeared. Maybe the three of us were just outright lunatics.

Maybe the lost Heaven Reaching arts that Master was teaching us were just like the Reverse Nine Yin Manual that Ouyang Feng studied, and made your mind fuzzy [129]. And maybe that kind of fuzzy mind is so-called righteous ardor.

Relying on the incredible leg strength we had developed by resisting the currents on the ocean floor, it actually was not very difficult for Ah Yi and I to jump from telephone pole to telephone pole. However, to accurately judge the correct distance, not too short, not too far, was actually quite a skill to master.

Luckily, my body was strong, and I could handle an occasional fall to the street during the following months of practice.

Although, passersby on the street would stare at us, and that was quite different than the seafloor.

Their wide eyes and gaping mouths in some ways gave us much more pressure than the undercurrents and vortexes of the seafloor.

The immense pressure made our eyes bloodshot and dried our throats up.

Mom, what are they doing? A little girl pointed at Ah Yi and I. The loser adult standing next to her said, Theyre theyre repairing the telephone poles.

My mouth dry, I leaped forward to escape the girls questioning.

Although Ah Yis inner force was not as profound as mine, his leg strength was shocking, and his self-confidence sky high. He kept even pace with me as we evaded the curious pedestrians.

Jumping.

Jumping.

Jumping.

The youth of modern day kung fu practitioners!

Bang!

Ah Yi fell down to the street. He muttered a curse word and then jumped back onto the telephone pole.

I had no time to spare to even give him an encouraging glace. The sweat on my face was making it difficult to keep my eyes open, and I almost tripped on a power line.

Finally, after who knows how long, Ah Yi and I reached the sea of trees at the base of Ba Gua Mountain.

I cant even explain how tired I was. I couldnt even feel my feet.

My legs trembled.

This isnt that fun, gasped Ah Yi. He sat on the ground next to me, leaning against a tree trunk.

Nope. I massaged my cramping calves and looked out at the lush green forest.

The trees were a lot closer together than the telephone poles in the city. In fact there was almost no distance at all between them.

I thought perhaps if I could charge up Ba Gua mountain in one shot, then I wouldnt have to worry as much about focusing each and every step.

I wouldnt need to worry about balance, I would just focus on jumping from one thick branch to another. Jump, jump, jump all the way.

Ah Yi looked at me, and I looked at him. We looked as tired as two dogs who had just fought a battle with a lion.

Race to the top. Ah Yi looked forward.

Blah blah. I took in a deep breath.

We scampered up into the trees, charging forward, bathed in the golden glow of the setting sun.

Before, Id always thought Ah Yi was cut out to be a gangster.

But now, he burned with the desire to become a great hero.

Youre really good! I shouted, glancing ahead at a big tree.

Of course! Ah Yi shouted back, his feet flying beneath him.

Your inner force cant match mine, but you can still keep up with me! I shouted, looking like a clumsy bird as I jumped through the trees.

Youre just lazy! laughed Ah Yi, jumping forward unsteadily.

In the setting sun, my shadow stretched out.

I was quite excited.

Im going to become the number one hero under heaven! I shouted loftily.

Im going to become the number one hero in the universe! shouted Ah Yi, even louder. Im going to become ahh! Ahh! Ahh! The excitement in his voice changed into terror.

I figured he had missed a step. When I looked back, I saw Ah Yi, terror-stricken, screaming, Get out of here!

I stared dumbfounded at a huge cloud of bees, surging out from a tree right behind us.

****! I just stepped on their hive! Ah Yis face was ashen, but his speed increased.

Ahh! I didnt really have time to even yell. [130]

Swarms and swarms of bees roiled forth, blackening the skies. Master, save us! I cried over and over.

Did Master come?

No.

It was truly shocking how the bees seemed to blot out the heavens and cover the entire earth!

A group of bees pressed close to Ah Yi, forcing him to jump down out of the trees.

Another group of bees was upon me, their buzzing a deafening drone in my ears. My heart in my throat, and I also figured I should jump down. But just then I heard Ah Yi shout, Theres people down here! And then he jumped back up into the trees, his face covered in welts the size of steamed buns.

Yes, leading the bees down would only bring harm to innocents. Suddenly, I had an idea. I stamped down hard on a tree branch, then used a hacky-sack kicking technique to fling it up into the air. [131] I grabbed it, and with one swipe cleared it of twigs and leaves. Ah Yi, I shouted. Watch this!

I made my stand against the enemy there on the tree. I circulated what little inner force I had remaining, using my Yi Jing Sword to take control of countless surrounding tree leaves and shoot them into the bees formation, casting them into chaos.

Ah Yi immediately bent over and snapped off a tree branch, and then started using his strange Peerless Hero Sword to shoot leaves at the bees.

Two future Jianghu heroes, performing our sword arts for the first time in real combat, amongst the treetops. We held nothing back, using every aspect of the sword arts we ourselves had created to fight against the savage bees.

At this point in any novel, the action would definitely be described in slow motion.

I need to clear something up.

At this point in my life, I felt no such special effect.

You wouldnt either.

Ah Yi and I shouted, but were almost completely drowned out by the buzz of the bees, which was about as loud as an atomic bomb.

Some people say that you can conquer fate, but the power of nature is truly difficult to contend with.

[129] Ouyang Feng is a well-known villain from Jin Yongs novels. The Nine Yin manual, and his method of studying it, as well as info about him can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/nofg9nc
    [130] Here he also makes a joke referencing a Chinese idiom that relates to bees but its pretty much impossible to translate so Im leaving it out.
    [131] He actually doesnt use the word hacky-sack, but instead jianzi or shuttlecock, which is a game very similar to hacky-sack. Since I had never seen jianzi before coming to China, I will translate it as hacky sack, as I believe that makes it more more understandable to western audiences. Apparently, jianzi is known in America as Chinese hacky-sack. http://tinyurl.com/ljzvah
    Last edited by deathblade; 11-02-14 at 11:30 PM. Reason: fixed mistake found by FuSpu. made tweak suggested by ycb5959

Thanks deathblade!

...I leaped forward to escape...
    >
    ...I leapt forward to escape...

A group bees pressed close...
    >
    A group of bees pressed close...

Quote Originally Posted by FuSpu View Post
    Thanks deathblade!

...I leaped forward to escape...
    >
    ...I leapt forward to escape...

A group bees pressed close...
    >
    A group of bees pressed close...
    Thanks! Ugh I'm pretty tired ... I will fix them later. Any other mistakes please bring them to my attention, everyone! Sorry my speed has slowed down, I've been really busy...

thanks deathblade

Arigato once again, deathblade.

Race to the top. Ah Yi looked forward.

Better: Race you to the top. Ah Yi looked forward.

Paper Airplane (5)

****! roared Ah Yi, Were hopelessly outnumbered!

Come on, golden boy! I cried, waving my tree branch desperately. Dont let yourself get killed by these bastards!

Ah Yi was thoroughly exhausted. He sat down and closed his eyes. The leafless tree branch slipped from his hands.

I sighed, glanced at the sinking sun, and began to cry.

Why did I cry?

Well, even though I possessed powerful martial arts, I could still cry.

I was a middle school student after all.

Tears streamed from Ah Yis closed eyes onto the bees which covered his body like a quilt.

The sun was so beautiful, except that it was blotted out by the ravenous bees. How poetic! How poetic!

It was difficult to watch the bees as they stabbed us relentlessly. They really were making a good show of it.

And then, I began to circulate the inner force that had built up in the time I had spent looking at the sun. I gathered up the maddeningly itchy bee venom flowing throughout my body, then raised my hands into the air and used Heaven Reaching Destruction Palm to expel it into the air.

Luckily, these were bees and not hornets; their venom wasnt very powerful. In an instant, the red welts on my body shrunk by about half. I walked over to Ah Yi and used my inner force to help him with his bee venom.

Im fine, he said weekly.

You sound really tired, I said, channeling inner force into him.

Look! said Ah Yi, pointing over to some trees. As I turned my head, he shot ahead like an arrow. Im first!

I cursed and raced after him.

The Giant Buddha! shouted Ah Yi excitedly.

Watch me! I shouted, racing along with Ah Yi until we stood below the Giant Buddha.

Two stones carved with the characters Success were directly on top of the stern-looking Buddhas giant head.

How do we get up there? Ah Yi seemed a little confused. I was even more confused.

The Giant Buddha was much taller than the telephone poles. If we fell we would definitely be dead!

Furthermore, the Giant Buddha was super smooth, and almost completely perpendicular. It would be very difficult to summon the power to jump all the way up.

Master obviously put the stones up there to show us that its possible to reach them, I said.

Master really is a psycho sometimes, said Ah Yi.

I was powerless to retort.

Well, the sun hasnt set yet, I said. Lets get up there! I glanced at the darkening purple sky. After the sun set completely, we wouldnt be able to see, and then our precious little lives would most certainly be lost.

Alright, lets do it, said Ah Yi with a deep sigh, rubbing his hands together.

Lets see who can grab them. Dont push yourself too hard, though. Your life is the most important thing. I was nervous.

You too. Ah Yi closed his eyes and began muttering a prayer, even though he didnt believe in any religion whatsoever.

Go!

Go!

But, just as we two disciples were about to leap up onto the Giant Buddha, we suddenly were frozen in place.

Two small pebbles flew out of from the distance, sealing our Ding Dong points. We literally couldnt move.

Theres no need to go up. Are you looking for these stones? A voice rang out, old and hoarse.

The speaker had no eyes.

Only two deep, black pits.

Take me to the person who put these stones here, said the old man, his voice cold.

And then he crushed the stones into pieces.

What fearsome strength!

Ah Yi and I began to tremble. We felt as if the sickly purple sky had begun to swallow us up.

And then I noticed someone sitting on one of the stone lions, someone quite familiar. He stared at us curiously.

Chomping on a grilled squid just like before, his hair blond just like before, his smile brilliant just like before.

In the blond foreigners hand was a toy cardboard plane. He threw it toward me and Ah Yi.

I was pretty sure I had seen this particular toy airplane before.

Lets go, said the fearsome, eyeless man in a cold voice.

He grabbed Ah Yi and I and left the Giant Buddha Square.

I couldnt help but wonder, how could a person with no eyes move about so freely?

The eyeless man carried me and Ah Yi like we were tiny chicks. He leaped into the trees that covered the mountain. As they flew by underfoot, my heart filled with desolation.

This eyeless mans lightness arts were very advanced. He carryied me and Ah Yi, moving forward lightly, ceaselessly. And yet there seemed to be no trace of life in him whatsoever.

He was like a corpse with high level martial arts.

Ah Yis face was pale as death. I knew what he was thinking. He was thinking

This horrifying eyeless person was undoubtedly Lan Jin!

And if he was Lan Jin, then Ah Yi and I were merely waiting to be torn to shreds.

But hadnt Master killed an eyeless assassin just yesterday?

Could it be that Lan Jin hadnt died? The next day hed crawled up out of the dirt to come after master a second time to duel?

I couldnt figure it out.

I could only tremble.

At the foot of Bagua Mountain, the intersection next to the cultural section was packed with cars.

The eyeless man stopped. Which direction?

Didnt you go there already yesterday? I said weekly.

Which direction? he asked again

Just go straight! snapped Ah Yi. Cross the street and keep going straight!

Then the man, carrying Ah Yi and I, shot forward through the speeding cars with astonishing speed, straight toward my house.

The eyeless man sped through the city, attracting the attention of tons of people. And he also caused me to start thinking.

This eyeless mans aura of death was very low key, unlike the extremely sinister aura of death from yesterday, which had nearly rent my soul in two.

And there seemed to be no wounds on this mans body.

Was this the same eyeless man from yesterday?

I dared not ask.

He came to a stop in front of my house. The two dark pits on his face seemed to stare up at the hole in wall.

Ah Yi and I could only stand there like two little fish flopped onto the seashore, staring wide-eyed.