Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks deathblade

thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade!

Thanks deathblade

thanks deathblade...

why is it I feel that lan jin is still alive and will take ah yin as his disciple..

thanks deathblade.
    looking forward to the rest of the story.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Thanks everybody. I had to take a quick trip to Beijing Monday, and today I had an art gig, tonight is D&D, but tomorrow morning is free! So should have another update in less than 24 hours.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

I'll hold you to it! This is a story that I really like XD
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Justice and the Law (2)

Master, are we really going to kill that fat pig? Underneath his mask, Ah Yi was as hesitant as me.

That depends on you two, said Master.

His answer seemed to place most of the responsibility on us.

Master, do we really have to go that far? My voice trembled.

Killing, no matter what the reason, was something extremely serious, especially to a third year middle school student.

Whether it was killing for justice, or killing for revenge, killing is still killing.

Master didnt say anything more, because everything hed wanted to say, had been said an hour ago.

One hour ago, in the cave.

The Heaven Reaching sects task this time is to kill a local tyrant named Huang Shifeng. Thanks to his dirty money, he usually can be found in the company of Bamboo Sect villains [141]. He is known to oppresses the good, commits evil deeds and tarnish the purity of young girls. Master has been keeping an eye on him for a while. Cut and dry.

A cut and dry reason to kill someone.

Killing a bad gay, this way is it really that cut and dry? My mind was completely blank.

Actually, from the very beginning I didnt want to kill.

I didnt truly want to kill anybody, not even Uncle Wang.

But if I opened my mouth and said to Master, I dont want to kill anyone, wouldnt it be taking all of his hard work in teaching us martial arts and flushing it down the toilet?

If you dont want to kill anyone, then so be it, said Master coolly. It was as if he could read my mind.

What do you mean? said Ah Yi resolutely. Senior Disciple is scared of killing, but not me. Not even a little bit. Of course, an hour later he was singing quite a different tune.

Killing is a fearsome thing, said Master, sounding irritated. Of course, holding back is ideal, but the greatest fear is that the criminals will never change, and will in fact most likely become worse.

Master looked at the masks sitting there on the ground and continued: One practices martial arts not to build character or improve ones health, and definitely not to understand the meaning or mysteries of life. One practices martial arts for a much more practical reason, and that reason is justice! When society is sinking into degeneration, when crafty and evil people hold power, chivalrous martial artists must arise to champion justice. A hero must understand right and wrong, must comprehend good and bad. And more important, he must be courageous enough to take the responsibility to implement and carry out justice.

Master suddenly turned. His hand shot out and his fingers stabbed into the cement wall.

On occasion, justice requires that we understand why anothers life must be taken. It requires the courage to accept horrific guilt. This is because justice is not about ones own sense of integrity. Masters eyes shone with a strange light.

His words broke through the barriers in my heart.

He was right. Justice was not about ones own sense of integrity.

Execute those who deserve to be executed. The sin of killing cannot be avoided..

This is the destiny of a great hero.

But Master, even though the bad guys deserve to die, isnt killing people breaking the law? said Ah Yi suddenly.

Master nodded, and then shook his head. Who do the laws of society protect?

In our society, corrupt business people controlled everything, so I said, It protects rich people And maybe even the bad guys, too.

Master smiled bitterly. Perhaps you are right. But if the law is implemented correctly, those being protected are good people, the common people. The law is actually a weapon to be used by the weak, a tool for the weak to use to oppose the tyrants!

I was confused. The law was good, and could protect the weak members of society. Then why should great heroes break the law and kill people?

Master continued: However, we are not weak.

Ah Yis eyes lit up. So the strong dont need the law!

Master rustled Ah Yis hair. That is right. The law was established for the weak, built for the good but fragile, to allow them to fight for their lives. It is good. But the strong do not need law. The strong can resist evil without help.

The strong do not need law! Great!

But I could not help but ask another stupid question. So this its really okay?

Master seemed dumbfounded. That is why I taught you lightness arts.

Oh? Now I, too, was dumbfounded.

Master smiled. If you get caught, of course youll be in trouble. But if you dont get caught, then no problem.

Ah Yi grinned. Dont worry Master, he laughed. Senior apprentice and I are already super good at flying around fleeing for our lives!

Master picked up the masks and looked them over. You had better be. If you get captured by the constables, it will not be a huge problem. But if the criminals bullets catch you, you will lose your lives.

To lose ones life that price is too high for anyone.

An hour later, standing in the dark alley, I had no way to escape the solemn pressure of justice.

Ah Yi couldnt either. His aura of death flickered weakly.

Master could sense our uneasiness, but he said nothing.

As far as Master was concerned, there was no age requirement for great heroes. He was not asking two middle school students to kill. In his eyes, concealed behind the masks were two newborn calves just waiting to manifest the courageous spirit of a hero.

Standing next to the fat mans car stood a guy with a crew cut and sunglasses. He opened the car door.

Now! said Master quietly, his aura of death burning.

It didnt matter how many there were!

Ah Yi and I gave each other five and then charged out of the alley, leaping directly onto the black car.

Boom! We slammed down onto the car roof. The tough guys didnt even have a chance to react. Ah Yi and I were on the attack!

Target: The two guys with the guns!

A skinny guy with a five-oclock shadow flew back and slammed into the corrugated security gate of the adjacent shop. He didnt even have a chance to draw his gun.

The other guy, a fierce-looking tough, vomited up his recent meal as I punched his stomach, snatched his gun and tossed it into a nearby mail dropbox.

****!

Shit!

What the hell!

Kill them! (142)

All the other guys started cussing and pulling out glinting knives. Their eyes shone with cruelty, even more cruel than the reek of gore which emanated from the blades of their weapons.

[141] What Master refers to as the Bamboo Sect is a real criminal triad organization based in Taiwan. http://tinyurl.com/msxcdo3
    [142] The guys are speaking really native Taiwanese slang. I had to do quite a bit of searching on Baidu before I could understand it...
    Last edited by deathblade; 12-31-14 at 02:14 AM. Reason: fixed typo, formatting adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I'll hold you to it! This is a story that I really like XD
    As promised. Haha. Glad you like the story. It's going to start getting really good starting now.

Wooo! Thanks deathblade!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks deathblade

I'm curious what you guys think of Master's philosophy here. Essentially he's saying that since they are super powerful martial artists, the law doesn't apply to them. If you were in their position, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    I'm curious what you guys think of Master's philosophy here. Essentially he's saying that since they are super powerful martial artists, the law doesn't apply to them. If you were in their position, what would you do?
    Thanks for the update.

In this scenario - chaos. Each man a law unto himself. Esp from those who are not but think themselves 'super martial artist'. The strong will rule the weak until some orders are establish, and then...the beginning of new dynasties...
    Rinse, repeat...

[recall in the ending scene in the 'return of the condor heroes' where wannabes 'super martial artist' fought for the 5 positions]

thanks for the chapter deathblade

Justice and the Law (3)

Four razor-sharp sushi knives stabbed toward us simultaneously.

And then we flew into the air.

Yi Jing Sword Technique! I attacked like lightning!

Four of the brutes slowly sank to the ground, their wide eyes fading into unconsciousness.

Ah Yis strange shapeless sword technique was amazing.

What do you want? asked the fatty nervously, in a high-pitched, girly voice. What gang are you from?

In front of the fat guy were two bodyguards, fists clenched.

Uh let me think I stuttered, my heart racing.

Were here to take your life! blurted Ah Yi.

The fatty didnt even so much as frown. It seemed Ah Yis response wasnt of much intereste to him.

How much money do you want? He pulled a checkbook out from his jacket. You guys are pretty skilled. Have you thought about coming to work for me? I can pay three times more than anyone else.

Even when his life was threatened, he tried to use money to win people over. He really was a crime boss.

I was worried that a patrol car would come around soon, so I took a step forward and pushed out with both of my hands. The two towering bodyguards shot like marbles into the massage parlor door.

The fattys face grew pale.

Ah Yi held a mahjong tile rack. He pointed it at the fattys nose and said, Remember to be a good guy in your next life. With that, Ah Yi tightened his grip on the tile rack. It looked like he was getting ready to cut the fatty down.

But the mahjong rack just stayed there in mid-air.

For a long time, the weak-kneed fatty, the petrified girl, me, Ah Yi, all just stared at the mahjong tile rack, which could snuff out a life in a split second.

What was the rack hesitating about?

Bro, Ah Yi finally said, how about you do it.

The flute in my hand trembled.

I I dont know. My mind was in chaos. I just wasnt ready to take a life.

Suddenly, a feeling of self-loathing filled me.

How come youre such a bad guy! I said sternly. I slashed at the car with my flute, slicing a big hole in the trunk. The flute tip cracked.

The fatty stared in shock. And then his pants darkened as he urinated himself.

Im Im Im sorry he mumbled.

Dont you know youll get yourself killed! I roared. I slashed again at the car with my flute. The taillight shattered.

Tears streamed down his fat face. Please he said. Please give me another chance. Ill be a new person!

I suppressed the feelings of confusion and terror that welled up in my heart and slashed my flute through the air. It whistled strangely.

Will you change? I howled.

Hey, what are you doing? Ah Yi said, poking me.

Will you change? I shouted hysterically, watching as the fatty dropped to his knees.

He knocked his head onto the ground as he kowtowed. I will definitely change! I will change, I will change! I will change, I will change! Everything is my fault! I will change!

I smashed my flute into a nearby streetlight, and it shattered into several pieces. My fury was beginning to subside.

Youd better change! I shouted at the fatty as he begged for his life.

When a person, a bad person, faces a life or death situation like this, what meaning is there in their promises and oaths?

Was he really begging for mercy?

Was it a temporary strategy?

Or just simple lies?

Could it be that he truly experienced a flash of realization?

It wasnt.

Even though I was quite young at that time, I knew it was none of those things.

At a time like that, his making of promises was no different than an insect responding to stimulus.

Promises like that are really senseless symbols, meaningless.

I wasnt nave.

And yet, sometimes I could allow myself to be nave.

Perhaps I had no choice. Right?

After hearing his answer, his promise, I lost my position as arbiter of justice. If I took his despicable life, in the future, I would always wonder whether or not I had done the right thing.

If I killed him, he would never have a chance to be a new person.

Everyone should have that chance.

What are you gonna do? stuttered Ah Yi.

Spare him, I said quietly, looking down at the pitiful fatty. He looked like a begging dog.

Maybe I had intentionally set up this untenable situation.

Maybe I had been ready to let him off from the very beginning.

I was weak. It seemed I could not shoulder the grievous responsibility required of a great hero.

Alright, said Ah Yi, sounding a bit more relaxed. You need to be a new person from now on, dont forget it. Otherwise well be back to kill you.

Dont forget what you said. In the distance I heard the sound of police car sirens.

Ah Yi and I looked at each other, and then looked at Master, who still stood there, concealed in the shadows of the alley. Then we leaped up onto the streetlight and flew off into the night.

Beneath the flickering moonlight and neon signs remained a bunch of unconscious thugs and a kowtowing fatty.

Hopefully the scars on his forehead would remind him of his promise.

Ah Yi and I stood on top of the giant Buddha, the meeting place set earlier by Master.

Why did you let him go? asked Ah Yi, sitting down next to me and sighing.

Could you do it? I said bitterly.

If you hadnt let him go, and I had a chance to think about it a bit, maybe I could have, he replied resolutely.

If you had to think about it first, then it means you couldnt have done it.

It looked like he was about to say something, but then he held it back.

Do you think Master is gonna be angry? I asked.

Ah Yi rested his head on his hands. It seemed he too was thinking about this.

He wont!

what a new years gift thanks deathblade

Thanks for another one!

Thanks much!! Glad to see this being continued despite your busy schedule.

Justice and the Law (4)

Master dropped down next to us lightly like an agile finch. [143]

I couldnt even look him in the eye.

As Master said, you two have your own view regarding justice. Master will not force you to do anything. He sat down.

Ah Yi sighed. Killing is not as easy as I imagined.

Wrong, said Master with a laugh. Killing is not difficult. What is difficult is deciding who deserves to be killed.

That was true.

The true difficulty lay there.

But should people really decide who deserves to die? Shouldnt gods decide?

And if people cant get in touch with the gods, there is Law. Law can decide who deserves to live or die.

But Master just kicks the law to the side, bringing for his own theory of Justice which supersedes Law.

I gazed at the lonely crescent moon overhead. Master, I said desolately, I know that before you said the police and the bad guys are basically teamed up, but nowadays there are good policemen. Why not just turn the bad guys over to the police department and let the law decide who to kill?

If that is your decision, Master cannot refuse. He laughed.

His laugh contained a little bit of derision, but a little bit of sympathy, too.

Master, I asked, dont tell me that when you kill you dont feel even some amount of guilt?

I was a little bit angry.

Master, asked Ah Yi, when you kill, dont tell me that you dont think about it over and over beforehand.

When Master kills, he has nothing to hide and feels no remorse! he laughed. As for consideration, I definitely think about it over and over before taking action.

I decided to use the argument of humanity. Master, the people you kill, arent they other peoples husbands and fathers?

That is why justice requires courage, he said coldly.

I was starting to be quite dissatisfied with Masters reasoning. Well, if you kill people, arent you robbing them of their opportunity to change?

Master nodded. That is unavoidable. Master must also appraise the scoundrels prospects of reform.

How do you do that? blurted out Ah yi. Dont tell me you watch them all day every day?

Master shrugged. If their crimes are not very serious, it doesnt hurt to watch them for a few extra months. After all, it is human life we are talking about.

What about the really bad villains? What if they want a chance to turn over a new leaf?

Master laughed confidently. I kill them immediately.

Why not lock them up? I said angrily. Lock them up in prison! Lock them up for fifteen or twenty years until they are ready to change. Like you just said, Master, life is life!

Master shook his head. True villains cannot reform. Sending them to their graves early is a service to all.

In my opinion, Master was being impervious to reason. He really was from the barbaric Ming dynasty.

How do you know! I said loudly. Let me ask you, that fatty just now, were his crimes serious or not?!

Master looked at me sternly. If it were me, he said earnestly, I would not have hesitated a bit. I would have taken off his head immediately.

I looked back at him sternly. Why not watch him a few more days? You can kill him any time you want!

Master slapped his palm down onto the Giant Buddhas head. Wait for him to commit more crimes? he said angrily. Do you what that means?! After you let him go, every person he hurts is your responsibility! By the time you go after him, would it not be too late?

Master was getting really mad, but I just yelled, Yeah, but if he really, truly is willing to change, then you just killed a good person!

I guarantee you he will not change! shouted Master, his face red. When it comes time for me to kill him, as long as he is a bastard deserving of death, then that is enough for me!

Youre killing a bad guy who might change! I belted out.

Master raised his voice even more. There is no way he could change! he yelled. Not after I kill him!

Thats because you dont want him to change! I said angrily.

True bastards never change! he said furiously.

Youre so unreasonable!

You abet evil by tolerating it!

Stop fighting, said Ah Yi tensely.

Poor Ah Yi stood between Master and I as we stared at each other.

Youre both right and youre both wrong, he said, his face flushed with embarrassment. Just just stop fighting.

How am I wrong! Master said, turning his attention to Ah Yi.

Ah Yis face looked like it was about to burst. His hoodlum temperament was about to break out.

I looked at Master and let out a deep sigh. Good night, Master.

Master looked at me in disbelief as I leaped down and disappeared into the darkness of the Ba Gua mountain forest.

Killing!

I approve of what you said.

So, Yi Jing agreed with me.

Even just thinking about killing people makes me feel horrible. She put down her chopsticks.

Just thinking that my two friends might become killers makes me feel weird. Ah Lun scrapped together the rice in his bowl.

Ah Yis face twisted. At first I didnt think I would mind killing, but last night, hearing the two of them arguing, I decided I really couldnt.

I nodded. We simply just arent killers. Turning the bad guys over to the police is good enough. Itll make a big difference in the long run; society will eventually change for the better.

Youre correct, said Yi Jing. But, you should still apologize to Master. Hes so old and miserable.

I knew that.

But I just couldnt dissipate my hard feelings.

Yi Jing looked at me. Master worked so hard to teach you martial arts, she said. You should give him a little bit of a break.

I nodded. She was right.

That night, Master didnt show up in the cave.

He was still mad at me.

Ah Yi and I practiced sword and palm techniques for three or four hours, but he never appeared.

[143] The finch referred to here is specifically a European siskin. Since Ive never even heard of a siskin before, I chose to go with the more general term finch. http://tinyurl.com/q8ou248
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-05-15 at 12:35 AM. Reason: formatting adjustment