Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

thanks for the chapter

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

@LuDongBin: yeah, finally. i got derailed for a bit, but I'm back.
    Your dedication is much appreciated. No need to apologize for derailment. Thanks again.

Thanks for the translation deathblade!

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsaw View Post
    Your dedication is much appreciated. No need to apologize for derailment. Thanks again.
    Thanks so much. I will finish this translation ... for JUSTICE!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Honestly, this is so different from most 'wuxia' stories that I really, really like it. Very much keen to see what is going to happen going forward!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Justice and the Law (8)

Ah Yi let out a relieved sigh and sat on the ground. So dangerous! We almost died!

Lets go erase the video cassettes in the bedroom! I said hurriedly, and then get out of here! With this much gunfire, the police are definitely gonna be here any second!

Ah Yi and I had just taken off our masks, so we along with Master walked into the bedroom and destroyed each cassette, one by one. And then I suddenly let out a shout of regret, We just about died for nothing!

Ah Yi stared at me. What do you mean? he asked.

I pointed at the cement bedroom wall which faced the hillside. Ah Yi immediately blurted out, Mother****er! Were so stupid!

Master burst out laughing and took a step forward. He placed his palm up against the bullet-filled wall and bammed a giant hole. The three of us jumped out and flew down the steep hill.

Bammed a hole straight through the law and slipped away.

This was my and Ah Yis virgin battle, and definitely the most soul-stirring one in my life.

When ones hormones have been completely used up, ones belly will surely be ravenously empty.

The first time killing, I sighed. I felt really hollow at heart.

The first time killing bad guys, added Ah Yi. Im worried about getting addicted to it.

Master stared at him. To be addicted to killing, you must first master extremely powerful martial arts!

It was super late, and only a few vendors were left on the street. I picked a spot, and ordered six plates of oyster omelets, three plates of seafood fried noodles, five saucers of stir-fried appetizers, three bowls of Four Gods soup, and three bowls of pork blood soup. [145]

Ah Yi and I were ridiculously hungry, so we just starting gobbling things up. Master started eating too.

It seemed a little bit ironic to be wolfing down a meal this late at night, after killing.

But, one can only eat in this way with a clear conscience.

The reek of blood had been left far behind, and in front of us was an abundance of steaming, delicious food.

Heroes have no regrets! laughed Master. We laugh and drink the blood of the Xiongnu[146], eat the flesh of the foreigners! This is the spirit of Grandpa Yue [147]. For the country and for the people! True heroes!

What Master said was true.

His mouth full of oysters, he continued, However, even though Granpa Yue is a hero of the ages, if you compare the torment in our hearts to his, he really pales into insignificance.

What do you mean? I asked curiously.

Master ladled his mouth full of pork blood soup and then mumbled, Grandpa Yue killed tens of thousands of Xiongnu, and never even though twice about it. That is because it was in the service of the royal court, to fight for the people and the country. He had no choice but to achieve victory, reclaim conquered lands and rescue the Son of Heaven. He never thought about the fact that the non-Han people are also people, too. They have fathers and mothers, wives and children. His end was tragic, but he became a hero and died with no regrets.

This was interesting.

Randomly stuffing things into my mouth, I said, I guess I understand. When we kill people, we are actually breaking the laws of the country, handing out the death penalty on our own accord. Therefore, our consciences might be troubled. But Yue Fei was acting on orders from the country itself, and so his conscience was clear.

Master thought for a moment, then shook his head. You are half right. It is not a matter of a troubled conscience, it is a matter of choices.

Ah Yi had no time to join the debate as he was completely focused on stuffing his face.

Master continued, Grandpa Yue killed the foreigners with his powerful army. He had no choice, because he was the General of Generals, and was backed by the law of the country. In the end, he was sent the twelve golden plaques, and then ordered back to the capital and killed. But if his heart was filled with pure, shining justice, he could escape the sin of disobeying orders, as well as the ostracism of the world, and bravely lead the army into battle. In this way, tens of millions of Han Chinese escaped death and slavery at the hands of the foreigners.

Slurping down the pig blood soup as if it were alcohol, Master laughed, Now that I think about it, Grandpa Yue did not have to do much to be a hero. Then he just died and achieved immortal fame.

When put this way, it seemed as if Grandpa Yue wasnt very heroic after all.

He picked the law, and didnt have to consider the common people. And then he died.

As for us, I went on, we have to carefully judge whether someone deserves to be killed. Were basically constantly breaking the law. Considering whether or not to give the bad guys a chance to change really is torture. Im starting to feel a lot of pressure.

Ah Yi suddenly cut in: Why arent the people who execute criminals the family members of the victims? They want the bad guys dead, but they dont have to do anything! The people who actually kill the death-row inmates are the executioners, and they get paid to do it. They dont have to consider anything. Its their job. No choices to be made. Bang, bang, and its over.

Call them bailiffs, I couldnt help but say. Executioner sounds so bad.

Whatever. They kill people just the same. Soldiers and police both can just say they are following orders.

Yeah, placing the responsibility of killing people onto the system, makes the system seem to be the embodiment of justice. Justice shoots forth with a light pull on a trigger, and has nothing to do with the individual.

The system is truly like a mountain of justice that can be called upon for support.

As for us master and disciples, we did not have a mountain of systemized justice to call upon when we acted, but just a vague concept.

Vague, but hot blooded.

An authentic, living justice.

But vague enough to leave one uneasy.

No one, not even Master himself, could tell me who is worthy to be put to death, and who is worthy to be let off with a warning. The responsibility of killing lay on my own shoulders, so I must act accordingly.

Being a hero who carries out justice truly necessitates a life filled with uncertainties and fear.

[145] Oyster omelets are a famous Taiwan specialty. http://tinyurl.com/yebj4q6. Four Gods soup or sishen soup is some kind of Taiwanese soup. The only article I could find is blocked in China and I dont have a VPN at the moment, so hopefully the link is good. http://tinyurl.com/ohn3vx4
    [146] The Xiongnu were a nomadic people who lived in what is now Mongolia, who fought with the Han Chinese a lot. They are sometimes (probably eroniously) referred to as Huns. The term eventually also came to encompass any of the northern nomadic groups who fought with China. http://tinyurl.com/cjlenmz
    [147] He is referring to Yue Fei, one of the most popular and famous folk heroes in Chinese culture. He is known most for fighting against the foreign-controlled Jin dynasty. http://tinyurl.com/yjbnud4
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-14-15 at 11:55 PM. Reason: fixed footnotes

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Honestly, this is so different from most 'wuxia' stories that I really, really like it. Very much keen to see what is going to happen going forward!
    It continues to get even more different! Soon you will see why it's placed in Giddens Ko's "horror" series... Glad you're liking it.

Thanks for the fast update fast!

Thanks for the update!

thank you...i am now interested to know why it's consider a horror.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Thank you so much for continuing!

The reality of a twisted contradiction (1)

Just as the three of us were vying for the last bowl of Four Gods soup, Ah Yi suddenly shouted, ****! The TV!

Even the vendor was startled by his outburst, and turned to look at us with a strange expression. Then he turned his head toward the television sitting on top of his vendor cart, and then looked back at Master.

On the television was a woman holding a photo and crying. The camera zoomed in on the photo.

In the photo, the woman sat in a pavilion in a park with an old man. The old mans face was filled with a perplexed expression. He wore a green Tang suit.

The old man was absolutely, without a doubt, Master!

Master looked stunned.

The woman cried into the camera: so please, good-hearted people, please help me. My father has not been right in the head in the past few years. He hasnt been home for such a long time, I dont know where he is, please

Master slammed down his bowl and howled, **** your grandmother! Who is not right in the head?!

Ah Yi and I started. The woman on the television continued to cry, and a phone number and an address appeared at the bottom of the screen. Presumably, it was the phone number and address of Masters family.

Master, his face red, pointed at the television and let loose a torrent of curses, You crazy woman, you took over my house! Then you accuse me of being your dad! **** your ancestors! You just cursed me all day long! You forced me to run away and hide!

I looked at Ah Yi, and he looked back, as embarrassed as me.

The vendor quickly turned off the television, but Master wasnt done cursing. You two brats are coming with me to Yuanlin [148] tomorrow! he yelled. We will get rid of that crazy woman! For justice!

Ah Yi and I agreed subserviently. Ai, who knew who this woman was, but she sure had struck bad luck to get Master to want to kill her.

Master clenched his fists and howled, Stinking *****! Your death approaches, tomorrow!

I quickly paid our tab and, with Ah Yis help, dragged Master away. He was like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum.

We skipped class.

Not to practice martial arts, not to engage in acts of chivalry, but to go to Yuanlin.

Go to Yuanlin with the purpose of killing Masters unlucky daughter.

The three of us took the bus (originally Master wanted to hop the electricity poles all the way there, but Ah Yi and I adamantly opposed). The whole way, we didnt talk or laugh, and didnt talk about how we felt.

As for whether or not the woman really was Masters daughter, I was on the fence.

I was suspicious, especially because of Madam Hua Maoer [149], from 300 years ago. Master had loved her so much. When Ah Yi and I practiced martial arts, he would often sing her strange folk songs. After she died, I cant imagine that he would marry again, let alone have a daughter.

Furthermore, Master had crawled out of the Qin Imperial Mausoleum only a handful of years ago. How could he have a daughter who appeared to be the same age as my mom?

Although, what if she was Masters adopted daughter? That would be a different matter altogether.

Perhaps Masters memory wasnt very good (well, not perhaps, he definitely was very forgetful). Maybe he had just forgotten about her. Or maybe he had just had a big fight with his adopted daughter, then run away from home in a fit of rage, and now was just hesitant to admit it in front of Ah Yi and I.

What did Ah Yi think?

Its his deal, hed said. If Master wants to kill someone, then so be it. I cant do anything about it even if I wanted to.

And so the three of us got off the bus, Ah Yi and I and Master, who was still in a rage. We followed him as he hurried into a run-down alley.

It was a very traditional alley, typically traditional.

As for where exactly we were in Yuanlin, it doesnt really matter. These kinds of alleys can be found crawling all over Taiwan. It truly carried the spirit of humanity, and brimmed with an ancient feeling of life.

Oh, God! said an old housewife carrying a basket of vegetables. Its that old lunatic! She stared for a moment, then turned to start spreading the news.

Wah! said an old man sitting in front of his door fanning himself. The Guan familys old geezer is back!

HoooCrazy Grampswahh The kid started crying and actually fell down.

The late night news yesterday The two nosy-looking womens conversation descended into whispers.

Its that old crazy guy named Guan said a guy smoking Fulushou cigarettes. [150]

Masters face grew more and more dark. I simply didnt dare to even look at him.

Would he actually kill this woman professing to be his daughter? I clung to my intention to stop him. That was why I had come with Ah Yi here to Yuanlin.

Masters mood was incredibly horrible. His aura of death surged, and then was just as quickly suppressed.

Could I prevent Master from killing someone who shouldnt be killed?

I glanced at Ah Yi. He looked pale.

Master, I said, You arent really going to kill that

Damn right I am! He let off a string of curses.

But, I said, her crimes dont

Her crimes do not deserve death? They do! Masters aura of death crackled like exploding popcorn.

This was disastrous.

If things kept going this way, maybe I should make a sneak attack on Master, give him a chance to clear his head.

It is right here! Master pointed to an old, three story building. He pounded on the door.

Of course, Master could smash it to pieces with a single palm, but he still bang bang bang, knocked on the door.

I gave Ah Yi a meaningful glance, then eyed the back of Masters head and his back.

Ah Yi nodded.

Good. If the woman opened the door, I would attack Masters lower back with a palm strike, and Ah Yi, with his less powerful palm, would go for the back of his head. We would knock him out and let him calm down.

Then, the door opened.

Our palms shot forth!

But then, Master suddenly shot backward two paces, completely avoiding our palms.

Our ears burned, and we didnt really know what to do. Masters face filled with confusion. But, he wasnt paying attention to the two disciples who had just attempted a sneak attack.

[148] I believe I mentioned in a previous footnote that Yuanlin is a city neighboring Changhua city.
    [149] He refers to her with the title 师母 shi mu, which is a form of address for your teachers wife.
    [150] Fulushou is a Chinese cigarette brand. Couldnt find any articles or an official translation of the name. http://tinyurl.com/myrtbln
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-19-15 at 04:26 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Thks deathblade ....

Deathblade strikes again! Thanks!

Intriguing! So is the Master really from the past, or just mentally ill? Was he a ghost that somehow possessed the body of this woman's father without realizing it?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Very interesting, guess the horror part starts now. How far into the book is this? around 60-70%?

I'm guessing it's some sort of psychological horror like the two kids hating their lives and got caught up with a crazy man or something.

thanks for the chapter