Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Very interesting, guess the horror part starts now. How far into the book is this? around 60-70%?

I'm guessing it's some sort of psychological horror like the two kids hating their lives and got caught up with a crazy man or something.
    Looking at the first page we are in part 4 of 11...

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Looking at the first page we are in part 4 of 11...
    You know what ..... somehow I totally screwed that up!

???!!!???!!!

There are actually only 7 parts..... I'm adjusting the front page table of contents right now.

According to page count we are almost exactly 65% through.

Good guesses on what's going on, guys. I will not reveal any secrets. For Justice!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Yup I remember a while ago deathblade said we were about 40% through with the book and it was pleasantly surprising to have a relatively short novel so I could find out the twist horror ending sooner!

The reality of a twisted contradiction (2)

Not only did Masters face fill with confusion, his body seemed to expand, and his aura of death flared, and then suddenly disappeared.

He was like a crazy egg that suddenly expanded, and then cracked, the insides seeping out.

Even the all-important yolk disappeared.

Everything disappeared, leaving behind only a fragile eggshell.

It seemed that not only had Masters aura of death disappeared, so had his soul.

He stood there, mouth agape, staring at the woman who had professed to be his daughter.

The womans eyes filled with tears, and she shouted, Dad!

Masters body began to quake.

The woman walked over and grabbed him. Dad! Where have you been?

Master was struck speechless. He could only stand there and mumble strangely, Uh, uh.

Ah Yi and I gaped, and just as we were about to try to pull Master back, the woman caught sight of us. You brought my father back home? she said appreciatively. Please, come in!

With that, she pulled our zombie-like Master inside along with us.

The house wasnt small, and even though it was old, it was very clean.

The woman poured us cups of tea and said, Thank you two so much. Where did you find my father?

Ah Yi hemmed and hawed, until I blurted, A few days ago near our school, its near Ba Gua mountain, we kept seeing this old gentleman then, then last night we saw

And then Master, who had up to this point been sitting motionless on a char, suddenly murmured, ****! Why are you saying that you are my daughter?

I gaped at Master as his spirit began to rise again. Dammit! he said angrily. You take over my place, and then you talk rubbish like this! Ah Yi! Fell her for me!

A look of complete hopelessness filled the womans face. He must have told you that he came from the Ming Dynasty, three hundred years ago. Right?

Ah Yi and I were completely embarrassed. Yes, we said.

She sighed. Hes been sick like this for years now. Sometimes he just runs away, saying he needs to find disciples to teach martial arts to. We havent seen a trace of him for nearly two and a half years! A while back he said he went to Japan. Ai. He doesnt even have a passport or money. How could he get there?

Master made a boat, Ah Yi suddenly blurted out. When it flipped over, he walked on the seafloor.

The woman gave Ah Yi a strange look, so I quickly changed the topic. This old gentleman is really your father?

Master sat to the side gnashing his teeth, slowly sinking into the chair, forming a true contradiction.

Not waiting for the woman to reply to my question, Master angrily said, I already gave you my place, is that not enough? Why do you have to say I am not right in the head! You bastards called me crazy all the time, I had no chance even to do training. Theres no need to be so fake and call me dad!

The woman looked at Master compassionately and put a cup of tea in front of him. Dad, she said, Kai Han bought this house years ago. You werent living in Taipei any more, and you didnt want to live at the rest home, so you came here to live with us.

Who is this Kai Han! shrieked Master. I do not know any Kai Han!

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she said, Kai Han is your son-in-law. My husband!

Masters face filled with disdain. The woman reached into the drawer of a nearby wooden desk and pulled out some photo albums. Dad, take a look. These are pictures of us all together. Did you forget again?

Master looked at one of the photos. Forgot? I remember quite clearly. You are trying to deceive me again! he howled crazily. You want to trick me! There is no such thing as what you are saying!

Ah Yi and I took the photo albums and started flipping through them. They were filled with pictures of Masters family. Photo after photo of a happy family, and in each one was Master, smiling happily, wearing Tang suits, shirts, western-style suits, white undershirts, and more. None of them were like his current moldy old green Tang suit.

His hair was not as gray as it was now; there was much more black in it. In most of the pictures, there was an older woman at his side, and his so-called daughter (a younger version, of course). He was usually situated between the two of them.

But what was strange was the dates on the pictures.

Many of the dates in the lower right corner were from before 1974.

This was really weird.

According to what Master had said, he climbed out of the Qin Imperial Mausoleum in 1974 to once again see the light of day.

But some of these pictures were taken in the 50s and 60s, and Master was clearly many years younger and glowing with health. In one picture, the young version of the woman was wearing a graduation robe and clutching Masters arm!

Seeing the expressions on our faces, Master shouted angrily, You two sons of *****es! You still have not gotten ridden of this evil! Right this wrong, according to heavens decree!

I looked at master apologetically.

My dad came over from the mainland with the Nationalist Government, said the woman. He married my mom here in Taiwan and worked in the Household Registration Department. At first everything was great.

But, she continued pathetically, after mom died, he was so sad, and something just went wrong. Even though he came to live with us for a while, his health just got worse and worse. My husband and I were so busy with our business, so as I think about it now, it was really our fault. Ai we sent dad to live temporarily at a rest home in Taipei. We never imagined that after only a few months he would start losing his mind. He started saying that he was some kind of martial arts hero from ancient times. He ran away from the rest home and came back here.

I simply couldnt interrupt. The woman continued, At first, I thought he was suffering from dementia and just being unreasonable. He said we had taken over his house, and that he didnt believe that I was his daughter. I got really upset and we had a fight, and then he just left.

She looked sadly at Master. Dad would come back occasionally and stand at the door for a while, but as soon as I would step out to receive him, he would run away. If I managed to drag him inside, he would stay a few days and then run off again without a trace.

Bullcrap! cried Master. Bullcrap! Bullcrap!

The woman looked at him, tears once again streaming down her face. Dad, she said, for two years I had no idea where you were. You didnt come back even once! I was so worried. Kai Han is also so sorry that he got mad at you, dad. And your two grandchildren miss you so much, dont you know? When they get back from school you can see them!
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-26-15 at 07:06 AM. Reason: wording changes

I totally screwed up the table of contents before, but now it is fixed, and as a mini-bonus I added the rest of the untranslated chapter titles for upcoming chapters. If you want a clue as to what's coming, check them out in the #1 post in the thread. I don't think this counts as spoilers, but if you want to be completely surprised by upcoming events, don't look.

Thanks.

And you know most of us will look...

Ten bucks says the old man was possessed by the spirit of the ancient kungfu master! You can be crazy, but not kungfu crazy!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Just watched the trailer, the cartoony feel of it makes me want to guess it has to be some sort of teenager superhero fantasy or mental issue, but there has to be a bit more to it since him being crazy seems a bit too obvious. (They used the 80's DGSD themesong at the end of the trailer, was amusing)

From the chapter titles, I'm starting to think Lan Jin was just a guy that whoever the Master loved in his youth chose over him, and the Master wound up secretly killing him and living a normal life until his wife died and he went crazy and subconsciously fabricated this whole story in his mind. As for how he actually knows kungfu...I can only guess that the kids have some mental issues to begin with and the Master is able to influence them enough so they believe in his fantasy too.

I can imagine the reveal in a movie showing them walking on the seafloor and jumping from telephone pole to telephone pole to be them just wading in a shallow brook and clumsily just hopping around the telephone poles while they imagine themselves as superheroes and the narrator is the main character telling the story from a mental ward.

This story is really interesting and I'm dying to find out what actually happens !
    Last edited by tape; 01-26-15 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Just watched the trailer, the cartoony feel of it makes me want to guess it has to be some sort of teenager superhero fantasy or mental issue, but there has to be a bit more to it since him being crazy seems a bit too obvious. (They used the 80's DGSD themesong at the end of the trailer, was amusing)

From the chapter titles, I'm starting to think Lan Jin was just a guy that whoever the Master loved in his youth chose over him, and the Master wound up secretly killing him and living a normal life until his wife died and he went crazy and subconsciously fabricated this whole story in his mind. As for how he actually knows kungfu...I can only guess that the kids have some mental issues to begin with and the Master is able to influence them enough so they believe in his fantasy too.

I can imagine the reveal in a movie showing them walking on the seafloor and jumping from telephone pole to telephone pole to be them just wading in a shallow brook and clumsily just hopping around the telephone poles while they imagine themselves as superheroes and the narrator is the main character telling the story from a mental ward.
    OMG - they are as mentally unsound as Yu Zheng

My other theory is the master is just Lan Jin and is somehow just messing with everyone, but that's hardly as interesting !

This is an interesting twist.

The reality of a twisted contradiction (3)

Master stared mutely at the womans tears, and then shrank back into the chair like a deflated rubber ball.

Right now, two stories fought back and forth relentlessly in my head.

One was Masters extraordinary tale, which was simply unbelievable.

But Master was Master. His martial arts were not fake. And Lan Jin had come after him!

The other story was the weeping womans tearful story, along with photographic evidence.

The photos were definitely not fake, and many of the pictures of the happy family of three were taken when Master should have been buried in the earth.

The two stories just did not fit together like the gears that they should. Instead, they were like two cumbersome, speeding dump trucks smashing up against each other.

I couldnt help but ask, When did Master, I mean, the old gentleman run away from the rest home?

Master closed his eyes, and based on the Qi flow I could sense emanating from his body, I knew that he was not pleased at all with my question.

The woman thought for a moment, slowly counting on her fingers. Nine years ago, she said. Almost ten.

It was now 1988. Cut off nine years and that would make it 1979. That was still a five years difference from when he was supposed to have emerged from the soil.

It was just too strange. I borrowed a pen from the woman and wrote down some key dates on a piece of paper. I thought for a while and then suddenly said, Master! I forgot how many years you said it was from the time you climbed out of the earth until you left the mainland and crossed the sea to Taiwan.

Masters eyes were still closed and it seemed as if he were ignoring me. He simply held up his hand to indicate 5.

If you add 5 years to 1974, that would be exactly 1979!

Analyzing the two stories a bit revealed: The year that Master left the rest home proclaiming that he was an ancient hero, was the same year that Master left mainland China and crossed the sea to Taiwan. Before that point, the two stories were at complete odds, and just didnt line up (one person in Taiwan, one person in mainland China). But after that point, the two stories converged together.

Master, asked Ah Yi, If you were in mainland China for those five years, how could you know about this ... this place here in Yuanlin?

That was a really good question!

Master didnt respond to the question. He only made a humph.

It was as if the question wasnt important.

I really couldnt take Masters passive-aggressive attitude. Master, I asked him again, Ah Yi asked you how you knew about this place.

This was the first place I stayed at when I came to Taiwan, Master said coldly. This woman is talking all kinds of rubbish. Bunk! Rubbish! Lies! Completely unbelievable!

Master seemed to me to be acting like a hysterical child.

The woman let loose another sigh.

From the moment we had entered, she had sighed. A lot.

Anyone would sigh a lot under these kind of circumstances.

She stood up, walked toward the bookshelf and pulled out a big, old-fashioned book. Brushing the dust off its surface, she handed it to Master. Master glanced at it and then angrily said. What is this? Go away!

The woman opened the album to a page marked by a bookmark. Dad, this is the Office of Household Registration employee contact directory. Take a look, this is you.

He glanced at the directory and said, That does not even look like me!

She handed the directory to Ah Yi and I. We looked at it obediently and, how could he say it didnt look like him? It was completely obvious that it was him!

But then, more strangeness!

Underneath the picture of young Master, the name was not what he had called himself, Huang Jun, but instead Guan Yanhe. [151]

There is a big difference between the surname Huang and the surname Guan.

Could would of them be fake? Or were they both real?

This was really bizarre. Luckily, the issue of the names wasnt really a big deal when you compared it to the whole issue at hand.

But when you add all these problems together, it was like a cup with all kinds of different alcohol just randomly mixed together: really hard to swallow.

Just then, the doorbell rang.

The woman asked us to remain seated while she left for the entryway. And then a ruddy-faced old man rushed in and shouted, Good old Guan. Youre back! My neighbor told me, so I rushed over to see you!

Master couldnt help but open his eyes. Good old who? I dont know you.

The old man laughed. Good old Guan! You really forgot? No wonder you ran off without a trace for the last two years.

The women explained: This gentleman is dads old hometown friend. They came over with the Nationalist Government and worked together in the Office of Household Registration. Then when dad moved over here to live with us, he moved as well. Hes my dads sworn brother.

When Master he heard that, he flipped out again and said, Dammit!

The old man grabbed Master, who was still sunken into the chair, and enthusiastically said, Guan! Have Mei cook up some food, and us two can have a pot of good alcohol! [152]

Master stared at him, but he went on jovially, When you first went to live at that damned rest home, I moved in with you for a few months, because I was afraid you would be bored out of your mind! I never imagined youd pretend to go crazy and then disappear into freedom for all these years!

Another point of doubt entered my head. Nervously, I asked, Master, do you remember the rest home?

How could I forget? he said loudly. I walked on the seafloor for so long my mind started to get foggy. I was so tired I decided to just let the tide carry me. Rest a bit and just hold my breath for as long as I could. Eventually I washed up on the shore and slipped into a coma. When I woke up, I was lying on a bed in that damned so-called rest home.

The more he talked the more agitated he became. That damned rest home! Everyone there said I was crazy. **** your mothers! Were it not for the fact that I do not kill innocent people, that place would have been a pile of corpses!

The old man who said he was Masters best friend immediately started to try to calm him down. Its okay, Its okay. Guan, just rest a bit, everything will be okay!

Who is this Guan you speak of! Master roared. I grew up in the Huang Clan village. My family name is Huang! With that, Master stretched out his hand and jabbed the old mans ding dong point and speechless point, sealing his Qi and blood. He could neither move nor speak.

The uncertainty in my heart was piling up, and I was getting more and more perturbed. Ah Yi lowered his head, his face contorted as if in pain.

[151] His name is关砚河 guān yn h. Guan is a common family name. Yan means inkstone and He means river.
    [152] This guy is definitely speaking mainland style mandarin and not Taiwan style mandarin.
    Last edited by deathblade; 01-29-15 at 11:57 PM. Reason: fixed chapter title

Woot! Friday treat - thanks!

I realized I missed something. I never included the preview snippet for the introduction of Part 5. It's only a few lines, but if you want read it, here's the link: Part 5. It includes a bit of dialogue from the next update.

Also, I once again adjusted the table of contents in the first post, now it's more condensed and easy to read (I think).

thanks deathblade, more and more questions! first those assassins mistaking master, now master may not be master and who the hell is that guy who caught that paper!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostpeople View Post
    thanks deathblade, more and more questions! first those assassins mistaking master, now master may not be master and who the hell is that guy who caught that paper!
    Things will become clear soon!

Anyone who's read the story already in Chinese or the comics, no spoilers please!

My guess is that the theory about ghost possession is true. Especially with this being classified as horror? And those two lan jins that master killed were really lan jin who possessed other people's bodies. So, how do you kill one who is already dead?

Am i hot or cold? This is purely by guessing by reading this thread up to here.

Yeah, I haven't read the story, I'm totally guessing! And oooo; I didn't think of the possibility that those were both Lan Jin's! Wow, that's a great theory!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

The reality of twisted contradiction (4)

Suddenly, I had flash of inspiration.

Master, Ill help you kill her! I shouted, pointing at the woman.

Quickly! Master roared. Show no mercy! This crazy woman is driving me to my death!

The woman looked at me in shock as I leaped out of the chair, my aura of death exploding around me. My palm flew toward her chest!

Bam!

All the power of my attack, a surging tempest, was sucked away, as if it had been absorbed by a sea of cotton.

The sea of cotton was a person.

Just as I had guessed, it was a panic-stricken Master.

His palm had instantly met mine, swallowing up all of my power. Master, his forehead steaming, took two steps back and released the energy into the air with his other hand.

I had attacked with all my strength, so if Master had completely blocked me, I would have suffered serious internal injuries. By accepting the blow, even with his deep inner force, he was also forced to accept some minor injury.

In order to test out Masters true feelings for this woman, I had decided to take a bit of a risk. If Master didnt block me, I could direct the force of my blow into the wall behind the woman. If he did block me, it would prove that deep in his heart, he did have feelings.

And he had blocked me.

Lets go, said Master, coughing and waving his hand. Its not good to stay in this place for too long.

I watched him as he coughed. Master, is she really not your daughter? If not, why did you prevent me from killing her?

He didnt answer. He grabbed me with one hand and Ah Yi with the other, then rushed out of the suffocating house, leaving behind the dumbstruck woman who claimed to be his daughter.

Master looked straight ahead as he led us through the twisting alleys. When we emerged, he finally released us and let out a few coughs. Master is not willing to let you mercilessly kill an innocent person.

And so Yuanlin became a place full of question marks.

What feeling does one have when facing a killer?

Perhaps hate, and some fear.

And yet, if the killer is the person you love, then the feeling is something impossible to describe in just a few words.

Especially if the killer plans to continue with his crimes. That feeling would become even more complex.

So Yi Jings feelings now were quite complex.

Youre a third year middle-school student, she said in a depressed tone.

You are one of Masters disciples, too. You understand. I lowered my head.

We sat in the bleachers watching Ah Lun, Ah Yi and some others paying basketball.

All Ah Yi had to do was get his hands on the ball and then dunk it. Hed already dunked seventeen balls this game.

But youre a third year middle school student, she repeated. Contradictory feelings filled her Qi flow.

Heroes are not categorized by age. You are one of Masters disciples, too. You understand.

What does it feel like to kill? With a sigh, Yi Jing went on: Actually, I dont really want to know, but its not some random person, its you. I have no choice but to know.

I squeezed her hand. Nobody should have the power to decide who lives and dies.

She looked me in the eyes. If you really think that, why do you kill people? In your heart, you should know, our world and Masters wuxia world are totally different. Totally different!

Because nobody has the power to decide who lives and dies, I continued, bastards who end others lives cannot be allowed to continue on in this world.

Yi Jings hand gripped mine so hard that it hurt. I know that sometimes you have to curb violence with violence. But is it really necessary to kill people?

I nodded. Its necessary.

Sounding somewhat upset, she said, But ending a life is ending a life. Doesnt that make you the same as those bastards?

I shook my head. Its not the same. Those bastards end their own lives, its just carried out by the hand of the heroes.

But when you kill, arent you the same as them?

The same as the bastards.

I laughed.

She stared at me for a moment, and then she also laughed.

She knew that a hero who had killed people but could still sit next to their loved one like this, must have a clear heart.

And they could laugh.

It was truly consoling.

Ah Yi knocked the ball out of the hand of a tall player, and the crowd hissed.

Actually, said Yi Jing softly, Im mostly worried that you will feel unease at heart.

I understood. I also feared that my clear heart was faked.

But deep down, I knew that as long as I had Yi Jing at my side, I would never be a murderous killer, but a hero. A happy, laughing hero.

Im also worried youll like it, she said, lowering her head.

When I heard this sentence, so soft, my heart lurched a bit.

Before I sleep, its hard not to think about a lot of things, I said, and thats when I feel a bit low. I looked at Yi Jings dark, flowing hair.

So whats to be done?

Ill get used to it.

Killing people is not something you should have to get used to, she said pensively.

What I mean is, the feeling I get after killing is something that I will get used to, I explained.

Thats even worse. I know you feel your heart is clear and without burden, but Yi Jing looked at me sincerely. You should feel a little bad after killing people.

I thought I understood. I get what you mean now, I said.

From now on, she said resolutely, if you kill someone, you have to tell me. Even if I get a bit angry, you still have to tell me.

I know. And I really did know.

The evening sun slowly sank on the basketball court, and its continued scene of tasteless dunking.

Ah Yi suddenly snatched the ball from Ah Lun. It was as if they werent friends at all.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-01-15 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fixed mistake found by LuDongBin

Quote Originally Posted by honaidy View Post
    My guess is that the theory about ghost possession is true. Especially with this being classified as horror? And those two lan jins that master killed were really lan jin who possessed other people's bodies. So, how do you kill one who is already dead?

Am i hot or cold? This is purely by guessing by reading this thread up to here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Yeah, I haven't read the story, I'm totally guessing! And oooo; I didn't think of the possibility that those were both Lan Jin's! Wow, that's a great theory!
    Some very good theories, guys. I shall remain tight-lipped. No hints from me wahahaha (unless you private message me).