Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Wow - an update already - thanks!

[with your "spoiler" I can now go back to simply enjoying the story]

by the way, how come the son-in-law is not mentioned in the latest update - after all, his wife just killed herself!
    Last edited by ycb5959; 02-11-15 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Wow - an update already - thanks!

[with your "spoiler" I can now go back to simply enjoying the story]

by the way, how come the son-in-law is not mentioned in the latest update - after all, his wife just killed herself!
    To be honest, I've stopped working out and stopped studying Chinese so that I can focus on translating! So I will definitely finish soon.

As for the son-in-law, subsequent revelations can explain why he isn't mentioned.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    [165] This technique is part of the Nine Yin manual, and Im not sure what previous translators called it. If anyone knows, give me a heads up. Also, the Chinese Wikipedia mentions it in multiple articles about Nine Yin, Guo Jing and Huang Rong, but the English articles dont. If anybody knows of and English article about it anywhere, please let me know. Nine Yin manual: http://tinyurl.com/oawo4uq
    Your translation of this sounds right to me.

I think Master was refusing to admit the lady was his daughter in order to protect her from Lan Jin.

That seems about right.

So it seems he really is from 300 years ago, but perhaps "woke up" decades ago and decided to live a normal life, but somehow became aware of Lan Jin returning and had to act crazy five years ago to separate himself from his current life to protect them.

Choosing to accept 3 children as disciples seems a bit irresponsible then though, since Lan Jin might wipe them and their families out.

But since this seems to be the most obvious explanation and there's much more to come, maybe it's also completely off...

thanks deathblade

Thank you so much, Deathblade! But don't power yourself out! We need you for more translations! :-D

He cried and cried, as if her heart were literally broken.
    her-his? were-was(plural to singular)?

Thanks for translating,Deathblade!

omg, I was right about the hypnotism, but I thought she would try and stab HIM, not herself!!!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

A rival in love (10)

I saw her laying in the arms of her tutor, giggling happily, and then he kissed her, I said hatefully. Thats what I saw when I went to see her tonight.

You really are unlucky. Getting cheated on right before battle is a disaster. Completely tragic! He pointed at his eyebrows. A hundred times more tragic than this!

I nodded. I just dont understand her, I said pathetically. She didnt say anything to me at all, just fell in love with someone else. Considering how much I love her, she should at least tell me.

Ah Yi slapped my shoulder. Its all because of the two weeks of special training. Your class attendance dropped through the floor, so you had almost no time to spend with Yi Jing.

I gazed at the deep blue early morning light. Ill wait until right before were going to go to battle and then Ill go see her. Ill make an amazing speech, and see if I can move her heart a bit. And get some power to come back alive.

Yeah. Get some power to come back alive.

Give me a purpose to drag myself back from the brink of death, no matter what.

Please give it to me.

Dad, lets eat dinner together tonight, okay?

I had set the table with food and chopsticks. Then I walked up to Dad, who sat amidst a cloud of smoke and the aroma of alcohol, examining some kind of strange stone.

Dad looked at me, amazed, his expression the same as if he were looking at some kind of precious, valuable jewel.

It made sense; in more than an entire year I hadnt said anything to him other than excuse me.

Okay, well all eat together. Dad look really happy, and all his friends commended me enthusiastically.

I just want to eat with you and mom. My expression was sincere yet also resolute.

Dad didnt hesitate at all. He looked back at the lame adults in the cloud of smoke and said, You all take your time. Im going to go eat with my boy.

Thank you, dad, I said, walking happily toward the next room, and the clatter of mahjong tiles.

Mom sat there playing mahjong with a bunch of hags. I walked up to her side and said, Mom, lets eat dinner together tonight, okay?

She looked at me, startled, and then glanced at the hags. She stood up with a laugh and said, You all keep on playing, Im going to go eat with my son.

The hags didnt seem pleased. How can three people play? We need one more!

As Mom left blissfully, I grabbed two mahjong tiles and gently squeezed them between my fingers, crushing them into dust. Staring at the witches, I said, If my Mom loses in the future, Ill do this to your noses.

The witches had met the witch hunter, and they could only lower their heads and pretend to be lost in thought.

What are you thinking about? I asked coldly. Without brains, how can you even think? As far as these losers who played mahjong with Mom all day, Id wanted to get rid of them for a long time.

Yuan Zai! Come on, lets eat! Mom called eagerly.

Im coming! I said with a laugh.

The three of us, and only the three of us, sat together eating a steaming dinner.

Even though it was a bit of an awkward scene, I could see the love and happiness in mom and dads eyes.

This is what a family is supposed to be like!

Mom and Dad kept handing me food, until my bowl was completely full. As I ate, tears began to pour down my face.

Whats wrong? Mom said lovingly, her eyes starting to look a bit red.

Dad, Mom, theres something Ive been wanting to tell you for a long time. I really dont like it when you have people over all the time. I wiped away my tears, but they just kept pouring out. All the emotions Id been holding back for all these years finally burst out.

Well said Dad, sounding embarrassed.

Mom smiled. We will pay more attention in the future, she said.

I want to eat dinner together every day, just us three. I was still crying. And Master. Hes the one you guys think is a teacher from my school.

Okay, okay, said Dad with a smile. Mom was crying now. From now on the three of us will have dinner together every day.

Thanks, Dad. Thanks, Mom. I wanted to laugh, but I was still crying.

I didnt want to seal my No Crying point.

Because, I needed to cry.

Because, I might only be able to eat dinner with my family three more times.

In life, there are good things, good friends, good feelings, and they are all splendid.

But behind the scenes, there must be a family.

There must always be a family.

My family had forsaken me for years, and I had also tossed them aside. So much so that Id knocked a hole into the wall of my room and threw my heart out of it. The hole was a way to look away into the distance, a rebellion, an intentional resistance against my family.

Cold wind had blown in, rain had splattered inside, and the scorching sun had baked everything up.

Id had was Masters loving-kindness, Ah Yis friendship, and the never-to-return love between Yi Jing and I.

But I had lacked a family.

Fortunately, on the eve of my battle to the death, my family had returned to me. Or maybe I should say that I had returned to my family.

How lucky I was.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-12-15 at 02:16 AM. Reason: wording change

Don't know what else to say, but thanks!

A horrific secret (1)

You could write down thousands of words about all the things we did in the three days before the final battle.

Ah Yi, the manly man that he is, suddenly became sentimental. Throughout the three days, he constantly chatted with the girls at school, hoping to strike it lucky and have a romance.

But he didnt succeed.

Because marker ink is not easy to get rid of.

Master wasnt sentimental at all. Other than eating dinner with me and my parents every night, he spent all his time outside killing bad guys. People in special professions were extremely jittery and scared those three days. Criminals were all in danger, and many corrupt government officials fled the country.

If one needs to kill, kill quickly!

Clearly, Master was taking this final life and death struggle very seriously, and that made Ah Yi and I even more nervous.

Master! Are we going to win? asked Ah Yi.

Of course! he said loudly. I will avenge that woman! I will avenge my Master! I will avenge Hua Maoer!

Then why are you trying to kill off every last bad guy? I asked.

Do I need a reason to kill bad guys? he howled, and then charged off to take two more gangsters heads.

And then finally, the last day arrived. It was after dinner.

7:30. Only four and a half hours left before midnight.

The members of the Heaven Reaching sect, Jianghus number one great school, sat together in the big hole, eyes closed, resting.

Remember, if you are no match for the opponent, flee! said Master sternly. You are the seeds of justice, and must not be wiped out. Master has complete faith that he can eliminate Lan Jin, but just in case we get surrounded by too many eyeless assassins, well Im afraid the Heaven Reaching sect Im afraid we may be outnumbered. In that case, you must flee. If you stay behind, youll just be firewood tossed into a blaze.

I forced myself to think: Lan Jin is so proud, how could he use such a vicious tactic? But if there were five or six eyeless assassins for Ah Yi and I to contend with, we wouldnt be able to hold our own.

I am worried that he has changed, Master admitted slowly. But fear not. The showdown between Lan Jin and Master will take no longer than the time it takes for half an incense stick to burn. Life and death will be determined in but a blow. If Master takes down Lan Jin, what can a few eyeless zombie assassins do to him? You two only need to hold out for a short time.

Thats easy for you to say. Ah Yi glanced at the weapons that lay between the three of us.

Two machetes, two sushi knives and a long iron bar wed pilfered from a factory.

Naturally, the iron bar was Masters weapon. It was incredibly tough and sturdy, and the edges were very sharp, so we tied a rough cord around the bottom to serve as a handle. In Masters hands it was a truly powerful weapon.

Yuan Zai, you still have some time, said Master with a little smile.

Still some time, echoed Ah Yi.

Alright, then Im gonna go. But, you have to wait for me. We go to Ba Gua mountain together! I stood up, strapping a machete and sushi knife to my waist with some twine.

Send my greetings to Yi Jing. With a chuckle, Master pulled a canvas box from out of his shirt and tossed it toward me.

I caught the box. For Yi Jing? I asked.

He laughed. Open it up and take a look!

I opened it. Nestled inside was a beautiful diamond ring, glittering.

A strange feeling filled my heart.

Do it in your own way! said Master. I have heard that this is the way to pledge ones love in this age. He continued proudly, I came across it when stealing from the rich to feed the poor. It is completely genuine.

I laughed. Ill give it a shot, but it might just be trying to give medicine to a dead horse. With that, I leaped out of the hole, speeding excitedly in the direction of my love.

Give me a reason! I shouted, my shadow flying forward.

Soft yellow light shone from within her window.

I closed my eyes, carefully casting my senses into her room to check out the situation.

It seems silkworm guy isnt there. Excellent.

Feeling quite happy, I leaped lightly onto the little tree in the courtyard, then flitted over to the window.

There were no curtains, so I pushed open the window and jumped into the room.

And Yi Jing? My beloved Yi Jing?

She lay on the bed, wrapped up in the curtains, snoring soundly.

Her lovely, rosy face made me want to cry out to wake her up. The box with the diamond ring was about to be crushed in my fingers.

Should I just stand here and look at her?

Or?

As I stood there looking at Yi Jing sleep, I suddenly felt my Ding dong point being sealed up. It shocked me beyond belief. I suddenly couldnt move an inch.

Id fallen into a trap! But I hadnt sensed even the slightest sound or aura of death?!

I couldnt turn my head around, but I could see a big black shadow encompassing mine, and then a soft, familiar voice said, Yuan, youre finally here. Ive been waiting.

That voice coming from behind me, was the voice of Hydra the silkworm keeper.

But the voice, was also the same that had come out of Masters daughters mouth before shed sliced her own throat!

My spine grew cold.

You have some hard work ahead of you! What happens in the rest of the story depends on you! Hydra grabbed my arm and spun me to face him. Then he pushed me lightly, forcing me to sit next to Yi Jing.

He sat down elegantly on top of the study desk. He wore a long white coat. Strength and health emanated from his white face. His smile was as entrancing as ever, and his eyes shone with a flickering blue light.

He rested his angel-like face onto his long, slender fingers.

Its time to play the final game, he giggled, looking at me. I felt like I had no strength left.

Later tonight you have your battle to the death, right?

He laughed wickedly, all the way down to his eyes.

His clear, blue eyes laughed.

What was this peculiar feeling I felt?

Why did I want so badly to close my own eyes?

I had no aura of death, no feeling of animosity. I was so scared I wanted to throw up.

Perhaps everyone finds a nemesis in life.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-13-15 at 08:37 PM. Reason: fixed multiple mistakes found by 9dragons

Need Moar!Thanks for translations,Deathblade!

Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    Need Moar!Thanks for translations,Deathblade!
    Kids have started winter vacation in China, so now my schedule has changed and I'm much less busy. Gonna keep knocking them out until the story is finished.

The next two or three updates will reveal the truth about everything.

Thanks everyone for pointing out mistakes, please don't hesitate to do so.

whew!
    Thanks!

"he spend all his time outside killing bad guys" should be "he spent..."
    "take two more gangsters heads." should be "gangsters's heads."
    "firweword tossed into a blaze. should be "firewood..."
    "I felt like had no strength left." should be "felt like I had..."
    "Late tonight you have..." should be "Later tonight..."
    "nemisis in life." should be "nemesis..."

Thanks for sacrificing your personal time to translate this excellent novel. Some comedic moments here, like Ah Yi's flirting with fake eyebrows and Yuan tying weapons with twine? haha As far as I know, that 9 Yin hypnotic skill should not instantly grant you kung fu skills, but I guess that was the closest thing Yuan Zai could relate to.

I knew going to see Yi Jing alone one last time was a mistake. I mean, couldn't he see her at school? Yuan Zai is an idiot for not talking to her alone right away after witnessing Hydra kiss her. Instead he just accepts it and suffers, while shedding no tears. haha

The circumstances surrounding Hydra are still mysterious. Yuan obviously heard him speak before. But only now, he recognizes the voice to belong to Lan Jin? Hmm... are there two personalities inside?
    Last edited by 9Dragons; 02-12-15 at 09:37 AM.

Deleting this... I got the answer to my question.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-13-15 at 03:02 AM.

A horrific secret (2)

It was like a viper facing a Baku, a leopard facing a lion, a crocodile facing an anaconda. [168]

But facing up against my nemesis, he seemed more like a bunny.

A courteous, refined bunny.

And as I faced this angelic, pure white rabbit, my stomach sank and my throat grew dry.

Because I was a carrot.

I didnt even have a chance.

Those blue eyes.

They made me think of a terrible name.

Do you need me to introduce myself? asked Hydra with a mysterious smile.

I kept my silence. If I opened my mouth my teeth would start chattering.

Ive come from across the ocean here to Taiwan, to collect the results of my little experiment. He bit his down on his finger and excitedly said, Okay, guess! Come on, guess! Guess who I am?!

I continued to maintain my silence, because in truth, I really was confused about who he could possibly be.

This kind of flitting mind, this child-like disposition, could he really be the enemy I so dreaded?

Guess! I guarantee youll guess right! His eyes narrowed as he laughed.

Who who are you? I said slowly. My fear was not diminished in the slightest by his laughter.

Just guess! If you dont guess youll regret it! He laughed so hard, he bent over. Gnawing on his finger, he laughed, Come on, its so easy! Guess, Guess, Guess, Guess! Quickly!

Guess?

The only thing I wanted to do was close my eyes.

Hydra just kept laughing.

I want to hear you guess! Just guess! His eyes shown brightly, and he bit down so hard on his finger that fresh, red blood began to pour out. Guess! he howled. Guess! Is it so hard to figure out?!

A horrifying expression appeared on his face, and my heart sank down into my stomach.

He took a deep breath, and the expression on his face changed into one of kindness and regret.

Im sorry. He hopped off of the desk and walked up to me. His white, bloody finger gently lifted up my chin. I was too harsh just now, he said softly. My fault. Now, can you guess who I am?

My chin felt ice-cold.

If I didnt guess, perhaps my fate would be worse than I could imagine.

And so, I shakily spoke forth the name that I so dreaded. Lan Jin?

You are He leaped back excitedly, standing next to the desk by the window. Correct!

I felt like I was about to faint.

The elegeant, handsome man in front of me was actually the man who had wiped out the martial world hundreds of years ago, the cold blooded killer Lan Jin!

I put was actually in quotes because this didnt make sense.

I had a hard time believing that this bipolar, finger-biting psycho was actually the emotionless, cold blooded demon from Masters stories.

But to say had a hard time believing implied that in the end I had to believe.

I was trapped by Lan Jin, and there seemed no possibility to get to safety. Plus, lying there on the bed next to me was Yi Jing; there really seemed to be no hope for escape.

The hour of my death had arrived.

My limbs would be sliced to the bone piece by piece by Lan Jin. My veins and arteries would be shredded. I would be forced to hold my heart in my own hands.

Tears streamed down my face.

Perhaps soon, I would have no eyes with which to shed tears. [169]

Why are you crying? said Hydra tenderly. Lan Jin might be cruel and ferocious, but he always listens to me. Maybe youll be able to leave here happily. It all just depends on your performance.

What performance? I forced myself to ask.

Bit by bit, I was accumulating inner force and Qi, slowly pushing it against my sealed Ding Dong point.

Even though the chances were slim, I still had to give it a shot.

Before I died, I at least had to try to save Yi Jings life.

You asked the wrong question, said Hydra with a displeased expression. I just said, Lan Jin may be violent, but he will always listen to me. Dont you think thats weird? Based on what I said, you should have some uncertainties, and then you should ask me about them. You shouldnt be so concerned about your own life and death.

I gaped at him. The devilish killer in front of me seemed to be mentally insane.

Well I mumbled, truly confused about what he wanted me to ask.

When people are extremely terrified, they will focus all their logic on the question how do I get out of this alive? So I was having trouble trying to on this indescribable freak, Hydra.

His expression sank. You need to listen to me, and show me why you are qualified to go into battle. That is your performance. If you perform well, you can play the lead role in the game. If you perform poorly, your Master will play the lead role. And whoever plays the supporting role in my story, will be cannon fodder, and will be sentenced to death by a thousand cuts.

His words were bizarre, but I had seized on something important: I needed to listen to him, and interact with him, otherwise I would die a miserable death.

For the sake of Yi Jing, I must do my best to stretch things out as long as possible, and break open my acupuncture points.

Lan Jin may be violent, but he always listens to me?

You just said that you are Lan Jin, but you I looked at Hydra. His face beamed. Youre Lan Jin, why do you say that Lan Jin listens to you? That is the strange part.

Yes, he said contendedly. Continue to maintain this level of curiosity and problem-solving awareness.

Hydra stood there looking like Maitreya [170]. I just couldnt fathom who he might be. It seemed that to him I was just a toy to play with.

There is only one thing that can happen in a life, said Hydra methodically. You could say, a persons life is like a string of yarn. Even if lifes journey has twists and turns, ups and downs, it just means that the yarn becomes twisted, or maybe clumped together or tied in a knot. But, yarn is just yarn in the end. Just a string of yarn.

[168] Baku is actually a Japanese word for a mythological creature that originated from China. Its also the same character used in the word tapir. I originally thought he meant to say snake versus tapir, but it didnt make sense. When I looked up the word and realized its a mythical creature too, I figured the author meant that, not a tapir. http://tinyurl.com/d5xbwr
    [169] Okay sorry, but have to say it makes me think of Heroes Shed No Tears. Haha.
    [170] Maitreya is a future incarnation of Buddha. http://tinyurl.com/kybueaw
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-14-15 at 12:23 AM. Reason: fixed multiple mistakes found by 9dragons

And now the revelations begin... In my research for footnotes I actually came across a big shocker to me, which will be revealed in two updates from now. Enjoy! I will keep them coming as fast as I can.

so he broke into many hive mind pieces, anyways thanks deathblade

Wow, you are pumping these out like there's no tomorrow, deathblade! Keep it up! I feel the crescendo building!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!