Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Split personalities .. soul within a soul? .... Thks deathblade.

This part gives me a sci-fi feel and reminds me of the whole Sephiroth/Jenova experiment from Final Fantasy 7.

Also sounds like he's some weirdo that wants to be defeated but can't, so has to resort to these weird games to find opposition or something.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    [165] This technique is part of the Nine Yin manual, and Im not sure what previous translators called it. If anyone knows, give me a heads up.
    The technique was translated as Soul Altering Spell.

"But facing up against my nemesis..." may be "But facing my nemesis"
    "He bit his down on his finger..." should be "He bit down"
    "my heart sank down into by stomach." should be "down into my stomach."
    "The elegeant, handsom man..." should be "The elegant, handsome man"
    "cold bloded demon from Masters stories." should be "cold-blooded demon"
    "Plus, laying there on the bed..." should be "lying there"
    "there really neemed to be no hope" should be "there really seemed"
    "I would dy a miserable death." should be "I would die"

Oh man, this scene reminded me that Old Urchin from the Condor series was locked inside Hydra. Easy enough to trick and manipulate to escape from jaws of death.

In condor heroes:
    Ouyang Feng was dissatisfied. But when he saw Huang Rongs relaxed expression, it kept his hopes up, so he went to help Guo Jing. He watched Guo Jing execute the Eighteen Dragon-Subduing Palms and he only needed a few hits to bring down a sturdy tree. He thought, His martial arts are good. Coupled with the Nine Yin Manual, he spells future disaster for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    The technique was translated as Soul Altering Spell.
    Okay, thanks. Hm... I think I'll stick with my translation although I might replace "transferring" with "shifting."

I don't think spell is the proper word to use. Method, law or skill is more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    "But facing up against my nemesis..." may be "But facing my nemesis"
    "He bit his down on his finger..." should be "He bit down"
    "my heart sank down into by stomach." should be "down into my stomach."
    "The elegeant, handsom man..." should be "The elegant, handsome man"
    "cold bloded demon from Masters stories." should be "cold-blooded demon"
    "Plus, laying there on the bed..." should be "lying there"
    "there really neemed to be no hope" should be "there really seemed"
    "I would dy a miserable death." should be "I would die"
    Lmao. Wow. There are some retarded mistakes in there. Haha. Thanks. Fixed!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    In condor heroes:
    Ahhh, thank you. Actually I wasn't clear. I was referring to a subset of the Nine Yin Manual called 移魂大法, which the other translator translated as Soul Altering Spell, and I translated as Soul Transferring skill. I might switch it to Soul Shifting skill.

my bad - read too fast and missed the question (on the skill, not the book dummy! )

A horrific secret (3) [171]

Okay. I listened very carefully, worried I would miss something.

Okay? He looked at me and laughed.

Even though its only one string, everyone is the same. Its fair. I knew Hydra was going to have some weird theory.

Fair? When I first met your Master I was twelve years old, here in Taiwan with the International Rotary club. I played Go with him in the rest home to help him pass the time. Or rather, I should say that your Master taught me Go. Go, ah, such an interesting game. It really entranced me. He closed his eyes as he savored his memories.

So, Hydra was the Go prodigy that Masters daughter had mentioned.

No! No way!

No way, I said. You were fellow apprentices with Master 300 years ago! How could you be the kid he played Go with?

Very smart, very smart, he grinned. But first please listen to the story from the beginning. A persons life is like a road. You cant go forwards and backwards at will. Its truly cruel. When your Master played Go with me, he would often sigh about his life. HeMr. Guan, he said that after hed lost his wife, his only daughter hadnt cared for him at all, just sent him away to waste away his remaining years in the rest home. From that point on, his life became a dead end. He sighed incessantly!

Mr. Guan? Masters Daughter had been telling the truth?

Then, what had happened to Master?

Dont tell me hed been possessed by a 300-year-old ghost?

To complacently end ones life that way, isnt it just too boring? Hydra shrugged. So, in order to repay Mr. Guan for his magnanimous gift of teaching me to play Go, I decided to give him a second string of yarn, a brand new life.

You got some sort of ghost to possess Master? I asked. I slowly pushed on my acupuncture points, trying to clear them. But my blood vessels were still stiff and numb.

That does make a lot of sense. But, where could I possibly find a lonely, 300-year-old ghost? Hydra plucked a hair from his head. It glittered with a golden light.

Then whats going on? Masters martial arts are obviously real! I said. And so are mine. You used a Heaven Reaching sect acupuncture sealing technique. Are you Lan Jins disciple?

There is no Heaven Reaching sect. Hydra looked at me commiseratively. Well if there is, it was created by Mr. Guan. You are its first generation disciple.

I listened quietly. There must be some evil secret to be revealed about the martial world.

Hydra gripped the edges of the desk with quivering hands. Do you know what hypnotism is?

Hypnotism?

I know, I said.

Hydra nodded. With a laugh, he said, Hypnotism is my greatest joy in life, and the greatest chip you can play in the great game of life. With hypnotism, you can change a persons behavior. But that type of hypnotism is just clumsy Understand? Its a trick! Just a trick, thats all. But, my hypnotism is not a trick. Its an art. A perfect art.

The pupils of Hydras blue eyes glittered brightly. A perfect art that can spin a new string of yarn in someones life, can create a completely different type of life. And this is the new life for which Mr. Guan craved! New! With danger! With destiny! With battles! Grand and spectacular! Full of blood and idealism!

I stared at him blankly. He burned with enthusiasm.

He let out a hearty laugh. How could a twelve year old boy master such an incredible art, capable of changing life itself? Well, thats a long story. In a word, after meeting an old man like Mr. Guan, who constantly sighed about his life, I really just wanted to help him. Fill the rest of his life with battles. It would be a much more colorful and dazzling life than sitting in a rest home playing Go. He paused, then let out a sigh. He taught me Go, and I gave him a glorious new life. I really am a good person.

I gaped at him.

Hydra hypnotized Master. How did he do it? He gave Master a new life? A new wuxia life?

I still didnt understand, and so inside I wasnt mad. Just full of questions.

Hydra tilted his head and looked at me. I know you dont understand. Hypnotic powers of this level are really hard for ordinary people to believe!

Are you telling me you hypnotized master? I asked.

Yes, he said benignly. And gave him martial arts as well. The decades of mental blood, sweat and tears took a lot out of me. In the space of just a few days, he achieved great power, and finally entered a secret realm that exists in Chinese peoples imaginations: Kung Fu.

Mental blood, sweat and tears?

I stared at him dumbly, still unable to comprehend.

Hydra stared at my stupefied expression and laughed. You idiot. Did you forget how Mr. Guans daughter died?

Shed danced a bloody dance, and at the same time transmitted Lan Jins message. How could I ever forget that monstrous and horrific scene?!

It was you! I cried in shock. You hypnotized her! You made her kill herself in front of Master!

The power of hypnotism was truly frightening! And it wasnt the Soul Shifting skill that I had previously imagined!

Hydra pretended to be surprised. Youre so smart! But thats just a basic skill. That kind of hypnotism is just for fun, not useful for the great stage. Thats because it can only destroy one persons life, and is incapable of crafting a new life. Hypnotism which can create a new life is true art! That is the amazing power that I unleashed on Mr. Guan.

Like the flip of a card, my fury ignited, exploded into being.

Hydra seemed utterly pleased, stroking his chin as he happily began to tell me his fear-inspiring story.

That year, 1979, five years after the Qin Mausoleum was unearthed, I came Taiwan, a land which would have a powerful impact on the development of my multi-faceted life.

I could tell that it would be a very interesting place. And after I met Elderly Mr. Guan, that feeling became even more certain.

[171] In doing some research for this update and the next update, I found out Hydra is actually a character in some of Giddens Ko's other books. Once you know his true identity, it give you a pretty good idea of how the story will end. If you want to be absolutely surprised by everything, read the spoiler thread after the translation is over. Otherwise, click here!
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-15-15 at 03:35 AM. Reason: changed Mr. Guan to Elderly Mr. Guan, updated footnote

Thanks - looking forward to the hydra spoiler...

thanks for the chapter

Oh, and now I can say official congratulations to RWX for pretty much hitting the nail on the head! Nice work!

Really, I did?! Well, on the hypnotism part...but what about the rest, I wonder?! Dun dun duuuuun!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

A horrific secret (4)

Elderly Mr. Guan provided me with marvelous inspiration. Our battles on the gameboard, would rise to a true life or death confrontation between the two of us.

I cared about how discontent Elderly Mr. Guan was with life, and I thought of something I had receieved in the Fortress of Cicadas that year[172] many theories of Chinese medicine, as well as a bunch of wuxia novels. I also learned Chinese in that place. If you want to know what the Fortress of Cicadas is, well, if you are lucky enough to play the lead role in my story, then you really will need to look into the secret.

Back then, I would use knowledge of Chinese Medicine regarding acupuncture points, Qi and blood flow to strengthen my body. I didnt study it too much, because in my initial research, even though Chinese medicine seemed to be on par with Western medicine, my control over my body was limited. In any case, it cant compare at all to voodoo. [173]

In my discussions with Mr. Guan, I found that he was very familiar with wuxia novels. In addition, he was especially interested in the concept of Justice, about which he had his own unique view. It really led me to respect him a lot. So I figured I should give it a shot, and asked him: If you had the opportunity, would you be willing to become a hero within a wuxia novel?

As fate dictated, Elderly Mr. Guan let out a hearty laugh and said: Of course!

After receiving such a clear answer, friendly old me obviously decided to run some experiments on how to combine Chinese medicine with martial arts. In fact, I even participated myself in this experiment to create truly indomitable martial arts.

How did I run my experiment?

Mr. Guan and I locked ourselves away in a secluded room where no one would disturb us, and I paced Mr. Guan under a deep hypnosis in which he would accept anything I said. First, I took the memories of his old life and sealed them up tight somewhere deep in his brain.

And me, playing the role of a master memory manipulator, created a new, virgin land in my head, a pure land which would accept any type of direction. Then, Mr. Guan and I entered that world to engage in mental blood, sweat and tears, and mould out the dark villain that belonged in his, or rather, I should say, Great Hero Huang Juns world.

A dark vilian, Lan Jin. And that is how another of my personalities was born.

What exactly is mental blood, sweat and tears? I was able to fathom the trick to strengthenging the acupuncture points in the human body, and then was able to enact a huge change on the methods used to cultivate Qi using qigong. I also adjusted the meditation techniques used to circulate Qi And those supposed inner arts that Chinese people talk about were imbued into this mental world of Huang Jun and Lan Jin.

This mental blood, sweat and tears was much more difficult than just replacing some memories. Also, I left him with a rule: If you rigorously practice this inner art for five years, especially on the ocean floor, you will reach an even higher level!

Except, the rule of five years of training had to be carried out in one day, or actually, in just a few hours. The brain must expand and contract repeatedly in order to force it to accept five years of inner force training. We also had to force our bodies to experience rigorous martial arts training in our state of meditation. We sat there quietly, our pupils flickering like traffic lights, quivering, sweat pouring out, our muscles and arteries trembling. We pushed to the limit and managed to exceed ourselves. We proved that in a very short period of time, the human body does contain the ability to produce astonishing kung fu.

[172] Fortress of Cicadas is apparently a reference to another book by Giddens Ko, from a different series than Urban Horror Stories (which Kung Fu is part of). For more details about that, see the spoiler thread.
    [173] This seems completely random, but if you want some information about why he mentions voodoo, check the spoiler thread.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-15-15 at 03:33 AM. Reason: changed from Fort of Cicadas to Fortress of Cicadas

Glad to read the reveal, but I'm actually not sure how I feel about it. Hydra (especially reading the other spoiler thread) seems to be an unbeatable entity which somehow takes away from the story imo.

thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Glad to read the reveal, but I'm actually not sure how I feel about it. Hydra (especially reading the other spoiler thread) seems to be an unbeatable entity which somehow takes away from the story imo.
    I'm gonna reply to this on the spoiler thread.

This is amazing. Thanks Deathblade

Thanks!
    Error:
    I cared about how discontent Elderly Mr. Guan was with life, and I thought of something I had receieved in the Fortress of Cicadas that year[172]
    Should be " I had received"

and I paced Mr. Guan under a deep hypnosis
    Should be "placed" or "put"

Weird - the old master was under hypnosis.
    But the 2 disciples were not hypnotised (or were they?) and they underwent training which included being bitten by very very poisonous snakes, waiting under ocean floor for hours...No one could have survived that... (without Hydra's hynopsis)

Deathblade. Thank you very much. Great translation.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.