Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Weird - the old master was under hypnosis.
    But the 2 disciples were not hypnotised (or were they?) and they underwent training which included being bitten by very very poisonous snakes, waiting under ocean floor for hours...No one could have survived that... (without Hydra's hynopsis)
    I was thinking along the same line too regarding the two disciples ... and it was Mr Guan who was under hypnosis morphing into the Master identity. A case of the man dreaming he was a butterfly or the other way round a la Chuangtzu? Still the fact that such massive qi can be developed under a few hours staggers the mind .....

Part 7

I held Yi Jing tightly, feeling everything that she couldnt express.

It seemed that all around me, rain poured down in sheets. Yi Jing lay in my arms, holding a lotus leaf. The two bears snuggled next to us.

Amidst the rain, in the forest, our first kiss.

Wait for me to get back before you wake up, okay? I kissed her.

Tears seeped out from her closed eyes.

What was false becomes true (1)

This is one of the secrets of the human brain.

Latent energy stored in the body. I cant even explain how delightful it is. Probing the limits of the human body, or rather, the human brain, is a way to make my games that much more entertaining.

And so, for days we locked ourself in the secluded room, sitting there looking into each others eyes, practicing the non-existent Heaven Reaching sects inner force arts. In one day we would accomplish five years worth of training. The next day it would be 8 or 10 years. We would practice until we collapsed vomiting. I was worried elderly Mr. Guan wouldnt be able to take it. And in fact, he couldnt. His memories were slowly being pushed away into an unknowable place.

But Huang Jun came to life, and became the number one expert of the martial world.

And at the same time, Lan Jin came to be a killing machine capable of contending with Huang Jun using equally unparalleled martial arts.

And then, it was my pleasure to create lives for these two previously non-existent enemies. Every detail, including upbringing, the pains and pleasures of studying martial arts, romance, Jianghu history. I even added sorrows and destinies that would last three hundred years. And then the game began.

There is a lot involved in the process of creating a human life. Its not just controlling that life, it is creating details from nothing, including all the up and downs, ins and outs of a life. I became Huang Juns God.

Of course, I also added some details about his life and how he regained his strength in mainland China during the years after he crawled out of the Qin mausoleum. And so Huang Jun officially replaced elderly Mr. Guan in 1979. By design, Huang Jun drifted up onto the shores of the Taiwan straight in a coma, and then awoke to found himself in the rest home. With all his crazy talk, he would definitely be regarded as insane.

In order to increase his loneliness, I imparted into him an incurable, horrible temper, as well as a staunch belief that he should not show off his martial arts in front of others. This would ensure that others didnt believe him, and would make people think he was even more crazy.

And of course, I randomly selected some random names from wuxia books and pieced together some ridiculous stories to stuff into his wuxia memory. That way, even though he couldnt show off his kung fu, when he started telling stories about his life, people would think he was just a delusional old man.

So, Huang Jun was alone, and yet there were still vague memories from elderly Mr. Guan that pulled him back to his daughter. In this way, Huang Juns world of adventure would be inextricably linked to Mr. Guans boring life. And it forced him to flee Yuanlin to begin his quest to find disciples.

Begin his fated infinite struggle.

Begin his life as a nonexistent soul.

Begin to play my game.

How could you steal away his life! I howled.

Steal away? Ha! I switched it with a new one! Hydra laughed uncontrollably.

It was 8:30. Only three and a half hours until the final battle.

And yet the vicious beast who would fight the battle sat in front of me, laughing until tears poured down his face.

Your angry expression is great! said Hydra, wiping away his tears and panting. Times like these are really the highlights of my games.

My anger was sealed up along with the acupuncture points, but my face twisted and my voice grew louder. What good does it do you to act like this? Why would you just mess with Master, for no reason!

He jumped off the desk. Raising his arms happily he said, Youre really an idiot! Didnt I just explain? I was paying elderly Mr. Guan back for his kind gift of teaching me to play Go! I decided to enrich the remaining years of his life and let him have a grand and spectacular death!

Master will not lose! I shouted.

He winked at me and laughed: Lets wait and see!

Just wait till Master chops you to pieces! I said furiously. Those eyeless bastards you sent after him were cut down one after the next!

You figured out that I dispatched those walking corpses to test you? he said contentedly. Wow, you really are a worthy student! After Lan Jin and Huang Jun parted, I needed to see how much Huang Jun would advance. So I sent the walking corpses out to annoy you, and see if it was worth it to keep playing the game.

I dont understand the point is of this supposed game, I said coldly, but I can tell you, it will all be over tonight. When youre dead!

Hydra looked me up and down, as if he were appraising a toy. Do you hate me?

You cant tell from my expression of loathing?

If I hate you! I said loudly, its only for tonight! If you had guts, you wouldnt need to tie me up here, youd show up at midnight and duel with Master!

Hydra nodded. Im here right now to discuss things with you, thats all.

Dont tell me youre too scared?!

He shook his head. With a laugh, he said, This is a game. If your opponent in the game dies, then whats the point? Right?

Masters not gonna die! I roared.

Hydra looked at me questioningly. But, if your Master doesnt die, then you have to die. I just wanted to ask your opinion. Lets the two of us make a decision about which direction the story will go, okay?

Decide the direction of the story together?

I seethed with anger!

You listen to me, said Hydra. Listen very carefully. His voice seemed to be filled with a type of magical power. Ill describe to you how the story could go from here. In the first version, I torture you and Yi Jing to death, and then have an animated corpse throw your bodies in front of Huang Jun and transmit a challenge to him for 10 years from now. Is this version good, or bad? What do you think?

Bad! I shouted furiously. Youre just too scared to fight with Master!

Yeah, it doesnt seem very fun to me either, he said earnestly. Fighting with an old man for such a long time would be lacking in interest. And now Huang Jun completely believes that he really is Huang Jun, with no inner torment. Well, I think its time to wrap up that part of the game. Its about time for the lead role to change, wouldnt you say? Pass from one generation to the next, give the story a truly epic feel.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-18-15 at 12:35 AM. Reason: fixed mistakes found by 9dragons
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    I was thinking along the same line too regarding the two disciples ... and it was Mr Guan who was under hypnosis morphing into the Master identity. A case of the man dreaming he was a butterfly or the other way round a la Chuangtzu? Still the fact that such massive qi can be developed under a few hours staggers the mind .....
    Maybe this update will clarify a little. My understanding is this:

Hydra used his super intelligence and the information from the Fortress of the Cicadas to basically figure out how to adjust modern Qigong techniques to actually be able to accumulate Qi in the way they do in wuxia novels. That was not related to hypnosis.

He used hypnosis to do two things: 1) create the identity of Huang Jun. 2) do some kind of mental trick to accomplish years of traning and Qigong in only a few days.

The snakes and underwater training were made up by Mr. Guan, but apparently actually worked. And don't forget, Master had Yuan train in Qigong for a while before using the snakes.

I may be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

deathblade, you skipped parts 5 and 6, and went straight to 7!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    deathblade, you skipped parts 5 and 6, and went straight to 7!
    No, I just screwed up in the past and didn't include the label and preview for some of the parts, and also screwed up the table of contents in post #1. It's already fixed, and the table of contents should be all correct too. Hopefully.

Part 5 and Part 6.

What was false becomes true (2)

Constantly pushing my Qi against my Ding Dong point, I said, Just go fight with Master! You dont need to bully the two of us!

Hydra frowned. In the second story, we must change the lead role. Of course, it couldt be Ah Yi, with his inferior martial arts. No, it must me you, with your incredible power. The theme of this story will be revenge, not Justice as in Huang Juns story. In the future, when you and I meet again, the story shall conclude. What do you think? Is this version much better?

I simply could not understand the thinking of this devil!

What do you want? I asked hatefully. Money? Power? Or just to kill people!?

He smiled. No, none of those. If I want those things, I can have them any time. They are simply pieces of the game. No, what I want is the game itself. To enjoy myself. To push the boundaries of the rules. To immerse myself in the world of the game!

I couldnt think about it.

Because my powers of speech had been burned away by my raging fury.

The only response Hydra got were two blazing eyes.

From the look youre giving me, Id say that we have an understanding, Hydra chuckled. Youre definitely the perfect choice for the revenge plot. Now, lets discuss some of the details of the story. As far as the roles filled by Ah Yi, well his role is expendable. But he could act as a catalyst of sorts, and this is certainly important.

I didnt say anything. My inner force had just penetrated my Ding Dong point.

Are you the type of person who becomes stronger when he sees the people important to them die? He placed his palms together in front of him and said expectantly, Lets perform a little experiment. Perhaps a sudden explosion of your aura of death will push your kung fu up another level. Yes, in Huang Juns story, Ah Yi is going to have to die. Okay?

My voice cold, I said, The beginning of the second story is going to be your duel to the death with Master?

He shook his head. Ive already planned everything out. Im going to kill Huang Jun, not duel with him.

I laughed coldly. Once Master takes you out, Ah Yi wont die. Then I wont need to avenge anyone. Yi Jing will wake up, and we can all spit on your body.

Why are you so stubborn? he said with a bitter laugh. How could I let the story go that way? I have so many animated corpses under my poison spell, all of you have already lost the game and must forfeit your lives to me. With an army of supernatural killers like this, even three Huang Juns would still be dead. When I came to Taiwan last time, I intended to just kill him. But when I saw hed acquired a disciple like you, I realized it was a perfect lynchpin for a new story. So I let him teach you kung fu for two more years, and in the meantime I created some more helpers for myself.

As he spoke, he pulled out a wooden box. It was three times as large as the one from before. He opened it up, and I could see that it was filled with freakish blue silkworms! There had to be more than a dozen!

He giggled. When you were spying on me the other night, you didnt know my secret. But since you will be playing the lead role, we need to make some improvements. My games lead character cant be motivated merely by passion, but also by intellect. Otherwise its not interesting. These silkworms were created by Haitan poison sorcery[174]. Each one represents one of my eyeless killers, an animated corpse. And theres more to the story. I must tell you, so that you know what a difficult challenge you are accepting responsibility for.

He continued: The animated corpses controlled by these magical silkworms all have high level kung fu, and are top-notch killers. I collected them from all around the world to replace the low-level first generation group of animated corpses. For that, I must thank Huang Jun and his special fast-track martial arts training methods. Thanks to him, I was able in a short period of time to create an elite force which could challenge any army in the world. If you want to get close enough to kill me, youll have to pass through some incredible challenges first. Some of my corpses will accompany me in whichever city Im active. Others will be distributed around the world, waiting for me to call them into action.

Cold tremors broke out across my body.

More than a dozen animated corpses with high level martial arts. It was true, Master couldnt deal with that many.

But

The benevolent is invincible, I murmured quietly.

I believed in Justice. I knew how conflicts between Justice and Evil would end. I had faith in Master and in Justice.

Youre really naive, said Hydra lightly. Although, a passionate lead character should be naive. He should think that he can win no matter what.

He suddenly looked as if hed just remembered something. Right, we were just discussing what would happen in the finale of Huang Juns story. What do you think? Other than your Master and Ah Yi, who else needs to die so that you can have a breakthrough to higher level martial arts. And of course ensure that my life work goes on. Your family? All of Changhua? Yi Jing?

Who else needs to die?

That was a question I had no way to answer.

He laughed psychotically. None of them? Lets talk about Yi Jings fate. How do you think we should dispose of her body? We want to make sure that the finale of Huang Juns story is really moving. Maybe we do the same as the non-existent Hua Maoer. Put one half on the east side of Chuanghua, the other on the west side?

You cant do anything to Yi Jing, I said coldly.

What do you mean? he said, bursting with interest.

What I mean is And that was it.

Ah?! Hydra said, sounding confused.

Bam!

It was not just a palm strike.

It was a palm that carried all my hopes, a clap of thunder that was my last and only chance.

It landed directly on him!

It was a move Id visualized in my head tens of thousands of times, and had practiced over and over again.

Id succeeded! I grabbed Yi Jing with my other hand and charged the wall!

I smashed it, and leaped out!

[174] What I am translating as Hatian poison sorcery actually contains the character for a real-life, relatively well-known but ancient type of ancient Chinese poison art called Gu. But since the author combines it with Haiti, Im assuming he means to separate it from the original Chinese poison. Hydra mentioned voodoo previously, so I assume these connect, and I further assume that this connects to the events from other books in the Urban Horror Stories series. Heres some info about Gu, check it out, its pretty cool: http://tinyurl.com/p6pm7ey
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-18-15 at 12:38 AM. Reason: fixed multiple mistakes found by 9dragons

Thanks for update!

This memory change thingy reminds me of the 1990 movie Total Recall. Thks deathblade.

Call me Ho Lee Schitt because these updates were awesome!I only saw the update after you posted 2 chapters so plural

"people would thing he was just a delusional old man." > "think"
    "My anger was sealed up along with the acupuncture points, by my face twisted and my voice grew louder." > "by now"
    "Why would just mess with Master, for no reason!" > "Why would you just"
    "Are you the type of person who becomes stronger when they see the people important to them die?" > "when he sees the people important to him"
    "I have so many animated corpse" > "corpses"
    "There had to be more than dozen!" > "more than a dozen!"
    "were created by Hatian poison sorcery" > "Haitian"

Seems like the beginning of Part 7 is some sort of flashback sequence or some preview? Got confused at first. The fast track training reminded me of Matrix, where Neo says, "I know kung fu." This Hydra character is scary! I would've gambled by sealing his pressure points and burning the silkworms after the palm strike.

Wow, the level of excitement keeps on building up!

What was false becomes true (3)

Underneath the starry sky, I fled, my heart pounding.

This was unbelievable! Id actually managed to escape!

Id literally peed my pants. I gripped sleeping Yi Jing tightly and dashed down the middle of the road. I avoided the alleys, for fear of falling into Hydras grasp.

I didnt even dare to look behind me to confirm whether or not he was behind me.

It was like I could feel his breath next to my ear!

I gritted my teeth and flew forward with all the speed I could muster, all the way until the light which shone forth from the big hole landed on my face. I could sense Masters and Ah Yis gentle Qi.

I forcefully threw Yi Jing in and shouted, Master, catch!

As she floated gracefully into the hole, I followed, spinning my body around and launching a palm strike.

Are you trying to kill the air?

Ah Yi looked confused. There was no one behind me.

What is wrong? Is Yi Jing alright? Master held her in his arms looking concerned.

I was still shaken. Everything that had happened with Hydra still rattled around in my brain. I couldnt stop thinking about it.

What made me feel even more uneasy was a moment I refused to think about.

It was a moment in which my right palm landed on Hydras chest. It had seemed as if he were smiling.

The whole time, hed been smiling, but at that exact moment, his smile had seemed so confident, as if he were completely at ease.

He knew Id unsealed my acupuncture point. It was true, even though I didnt want to admit it.

The thought was too frightening.

It was as if my palm strike had opened Hydras chessboard. Id sat down in front of him and started moving my pieces just as hed indicated.

Id entered Hydras unfathomable game.

What is wrong? asked Master urgently. Did you run into more eyeless killers? Why is Yi Jing not waking up?

Shes not waking up? I was stunned. I ran my hands over the acupuncture points which might have been sealed. Her acupuncture points arent sealed?

Master stroked her face, but she just continued along in her deep sleep.

I felt a cold fear.

I just met Lan Jin, I said. He did something to her. I tried to calm down, gently touching her face. Maybe he sealed an acupuncture point you dont know about?

How is this possible? asked Master urgently. Dear Lord! What points could possibly exist that would put her into this state of unconsciousness? Sheep point is unsealed, Dream Unlocking point has not been touched. In a frenzy, Master placed his hand onto her wrist to feel her pulse. Her pulse is as steady as ever. Is she just in an extremely deep sleep? Perhaps there is no need to unseal any acupuncture point? Perhaps the points will unseal themselves in a day or so?

No. The points would not unseal themselves.

Because she had not been struck by any point sealing technique. Shed been hypnotized.

Hydra had hypnotized Yi Jing!

I thought back to two weeks before, to how Yi Jing had looked that night. Shed laid up against him laughing, but her laughter had seemed somewhat empty My heart grew cold. What had Hydra said to her? What type of hypnotism had he used on her? What had Hydra done to Yi Jing during the two weeks?!

Master, theres something I need to say. I couldnt calm my racing breath.

Spit it out! Is it about Lan Jin? He looked out of the hole watchfully.

I hesitated.

How should I say it?

Say: Master, you dont exist, you were created by Lan Jin! You took Elderly Mr. Guans life! And you dont need to duel with Lan Jin, because you dont actually have 300 years of entanglements to settle!

Should I just reveal the whole truth and lay everything bare?

Or should I say: Master, lets get out of here! Lan Jin has a ton of monsters under his command! We cant take them all out! As long as there are green hills out there, we know that the firewood wont run out![175] You yourself have told us that!

Should I just avoid everything?

Was that the Justice that I believed in?

Then I understood the confidence in Hydras smile when Id hit him.

Hed decided from the beginning to let me escape with Yi Jing, because he knew that me getting away wouldnt have any affect on his game plan.

He knew that if I told Master what I knew, he would be thrust into a state of confusion and sorrow right before the decisive battle. His identity as a great hero would be shattered, and he would be unable to achieve victory.

Hydra knew I had no way to truly escape. The only way to lift the curse of sleep hed placed on Yi Jing was to defeat him!

Quickly! said Ah Yi anxiously.

An incredibly eager expression covered Masters face. He had been waiting for this moment for 300 years.

I could feel his heart thumping and his soul burning in his veins.

Lan Jin has a lot of underlings with him. Those eyeless freaks. Master, its going to be a bloodbath. And we cant escape it. As I spoke, tears started to pour down my face.

Hey! said Ah Yi matter-of-factly. I knew a long time ago I would die tonight! [176]

Master smiled and clasped my shoulder. We can not escape it. Well said. Even should the Heaven Reaching sect be exterminated tonight, we must eliminate this evil that threatens our country.

With complete confidence, Ah Yi said, I never imagined that I would be somebody so important, somebody who would die for something. Its much better than getting shot to death as a gangster!

I looked at Master. I looked at Ah Yi. I looked at Yi Jing lying there on the bed. My heart filled with a feeling of powerlessness. I dropped to my knees, unable to move.

To die for some meaningless game. It wasnt worth it!

To face up against the invisible mastermind of the game. It was so useless!

It was 10:30.

I curled up with Yi Jing on the bed.

Master silently examined the iron bar in his hand.

Ah Yi was reading a comic book hed borrowed.If I dont read it now, Ill never have another chance, he said.

I wasnt sure what he was thinking.

Such an empty, arrogant game. A battle between Justice and Evil. We were really too young to face something like this. What a pity.

[175] Here Yuan is making a little variation on a Chinese expression. The original expression is as long as there are green hills, there will always be firewood to burn.
    [176] He calls himself laozi here, a way of sort of puffing himself up.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-20-15 at 02:43 AM. Reason: fixed mistakes found by 9dragons

What was false becomes true (4)

One day ago.

Before, my dream was to become a powerful gangster. But recently, you and I have taken out a bunch of gangsters. Ha! Now that I think about it, its pretty of funny. Ah Yi laughed.

What about now? I asked. Whats your dream now?

I want to be a great hero, just like Master. Maybe not as powerful as Master, but happy and free from worry. Ah Yis eyes glittered. So, Im not afraid to die, because my dream has already come true. I havent ****ing given up. No. The opposite. Ive made a name for myself as a hero, and can die content any time.

Thank you, I said. I suddenly felt happy and free from inhibitions.

Thanks for what? he replied.

I also want to die a hero. Or live as one.

Right, he said, as if hed suddenly realized something. Living as heroes is good too. We already agreed to die of old age.

11:00

It seemed that all around me, rain poured down in sheets. Yi Jing lay in my arms, holding a lotus leaf. The two bears snuggled next to us.

11:30.

Master strapped the iron sword to his back.

Ah Yi put his comic book in his bag.

Remind me to give it back, he said.

Remind yourself, I replied, jumping off the bed.

Master and disciples, the three of us, looked at each other. And we couldnt help but laugh.

Im very happy you accepted me as disciple, Master said Ah Yi. It was my good fortune.

These two years have been the happiest in my life, I said.

Accepting you as my disciples was no mistake, said Master. You must live through this, and spread more seeds of Justice.

We exchanged high fives, and then leaped out of the hole.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-19-15 at 01:32 AM. Reason: changed lead to iron

Okay, that was a short one, but it ends the "What was false becomes true" part. I'll do my best to post one more update today!

I'm confused by this part:

This is the second time I've seen this now, and it still doesn't make sense to me. Bears? Rain? Forest? Wasn't she on a bed?

This is so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I'm confused by this part:

This is the second time I've seen this now, and it still doesn't make sense to me. Bears? Rain? Forest? Wasn't she on a bed?

This is so confusing.
    He lays down on the bed next to her, then he thinks about their first kiss, which was when they went out in the forest to do training and saw the two black bears. The author does this a lot with flashbacks and stuff. He has no punctuation or indication of any sort that he is switching times or perspectives...

Hey everyone, I made a teeny translation mistake. I said Master's makeshift sword was made from lead, but it's actually iron. I'll go back and fix the previous posts.

A decisive battle to span a dreamland (1)

Ba Gua mountain. The Giant Buddha square. 11:40. [177]

The time had finally come.

We stood on top of the Giant Buddhas head, looking down at the scene around us, trying to figure out where the eyeless freaks might attack from.

There were no late-night passersby, no lovers exchanging pleasantries. Hydra had arranged everything well.

But, below the main square was a group of men and women wearing fine suits and dresses, seated on metal chairs. They whispered among each other with anticipation.

They had musical instruments in their hands; violins, cellos, flutes, recorders, accordions, snare drums, base drums, cymbals even a grand piano.

And yes, the entire orchestra had eyes.

They had very strange expressions on their faces, and yet they continued to chat amongst themselves like normal people, discussing this evening's strange concert.

Their conversation drifted up to us.

What are we doing? said a man holding a conductors baton. He scratched his upturned beard, looking confused. Theres not even an audience?

But, conductor, sir, said a woman holding a cello. We all got checks. Even if theres no audience, we

We accepted the money, so of course we begin on time! said the conductor. He sat on a stone step.

Could it be one of those concerts for the dead? asked a man holding cymbals. He trembled.

Idiot, do you see any graves? said a woman holding a flute.

It doesnt matter, said the conductor. We even brought the piano up here. Even if we just practice, its fine. We start at twelve oclock sharp.

Yeah, said a curly-haired man with a violin. 30,000 yuan for one night [178]. Its worth it even if we were playing for a graveyard.

But what are we supposed to play? asked a fat guy with a bass drum.

I dont know, said the conductor. The foreigner didnt say. Let me think we could play Beethovens 5th [179]. We have to perform it next month anyway, so it wouldnt hurt.

And so the orchestra members chatted randomly there in front of the Giant Buddha.

Lan Jin sent these people here? Ah Yi remained on guard. He seemed to be worried they would suddenly transform into killers.

Seems like it. I glanced at my watch. 11:50.

Theres no use in tricks, said Master calmly. Stay calm, you two. Lets go down. We dont want to the alarm the common people. We flew down the back of the Giant Buddha, then slowly walked around toward the orchestra. They were seated at the stairs toward the end of the square.

The conductor saw us approaching, and walked over. Excuse me what are we supposed to perform for you?

I shook my head. The person who invited you here to play will arrive shortly.

He nodded, and the whole orchestra started to prepare happily, even though they currently only had an audience of three.

Suddenly, a huge flock of doves appeared, filling the night sky with ghastly white.

So many doves! twittered Ah Yi.

Be careful, it is almost midnight. Master ignored the doves blotting out the sky, and instead stared at the stairs leading up to the square.

Beep beep beep beep beep My watch sounded. The night had passed.

12:00

What was supposed to happen, was going to happen.

What I awaited was a simple conclusion: Justice victorious, the game ended.

Master, eager, intrepid, would at long last end this arrogant game. He would end the tragedy tonight, never again be confused or perplexed. Never again would anyone have their lives ruined in a meaningless internal conflict.

The benevolent is invincible! I murmured, gripping my blade tightly.

White clothing.

A man slowly strode up the stairs into the square. He wore a long white coat, and his blonde hair was tied back in a short ponytail.

He walked casually, neither fast nor slow, his light pace filled with confidence.

Long time no see. Youve gotten old. Hydra smiled. He stood there next to the orchestra.

Lan Jin? Masters eyes flickered over him suspiciously. You are not Lan Jin. I will never forget those cruel blue eyes. You are not him.

The only thing standing between these two old enemies were a few stairs.

You have sharp eyes. Indeed, I am not Lan Jin. Hydra smiled mischievously. Please permit me to prepare for his entrance. Dont be impatient.

You are said the conductor with a bow.

Hello. Im the one who hired you to come tonight. Please wait a moment before beginning the performance. No stopping, no playing off key, no leaving your seats. I think those requirements are not to difficult to meet. He laughed.

We can definitely meet your requirements. By the way, may I ask which piece you would like us to perform? We brought quite a few different scores. We have Mozart He was about to continue when Hydra waved his hand.

What would you like to hear, Brother Jun? said Hydra, looking at Master. Master stood there, solemn and quiet.

Anything. His eyes never left Hydras.

Well then, why dont we try Xu Zhus theme song from the Hong Kong TV version of Demi-gods and Semi-devils. Its called Ten Thousand Torrents and a Thousand Crags. [180-182] He straightened out his white coat and then shrugged. That atmosphere truly fits a showdown that has been three hundred years in the making!

When the conductor heard the name of the song he seemed surprised, but then immediately said, No problem! Weve practiced this one before and are quite familiar with it.

Oh right, said Hydra suddenly. I would also like you to play We Forget Each Other in the Fog and Water.[183] Ill tell you when. Have you practiced that one?

Of course, of course, said the conductor.

Hydra appeared to be lost in thought. There are some scenes which just require a certain song to produce the right feeling. A sad and dreary feeling.

That song isnt sad and dreary, I said coldly. Its about love.

Hydra laughed. Well, theres no harm in it. As long as the feeling is there. Besides, you can hum it in a little bit when you hold young miss Yi Jing. Conductor, please wait for me to move up the steps, then let the performance begin!

[177] Here are some pictures of the Giant Buddha in Changhu. http://tinyurl.com/ph5l6ln The narrative contains descriptions about where the characters are standing, and Im not sure exactly how they relate to the places around the Buddha. You can make your own judgement.
    [178] If my research and calculations are correct, the money would be close to $1,000 US in 1982, or almost $2,400 US in 2015.
    [179] In the original, he calls this song by one of its colloquial names in Chinese, which translates as Symphony of Destiny. This is one of Beethovens most famous pieces, and in English we refer to is as the 5th of Beethoven or Beethovens 5th. You can listen to it here: http://tinyurl.com/lth59bq
    [180] Xu Zhu is a character from Demi-gods and Semi-devils (see next footnote). He is a Shaolin monk. http://tinyurl.com/n8yu56d
    [181] Demi-gods and Semi-devils is a popular Jin Yong book. Heres the article: http://tinyurl.com/pr8kolpand heres the translation on the forum: http://tinyurl.com/pczo8dz
    [182] The title of the song is a also a chengyu (Chinese idiom) that refers to the trials of a long and arduous journey. Here is a link to the song: http://music.baidu.com/song/1079132 This is the same song that is featured in the teaser trailer for the movie!
    [183] This is another song from Demi-gods and Semi-devils. Check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/l9r57c5
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-20-15 at 02:47 AM. Reason: fixed mistakes found by 9dragons and myself

Thanks.

I noted they played the DGSD song a few pages back in the trailer, didn't think it was specifically requested by Hydra lol.

That cliffhanger!I`m dying for the final match here
    Thanks for translations Deathblade!