Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Quote Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
    I assumed you were watching some movie with Donnie Yen ZhiDan :P
    Hahaha. Actually, the real reason is that I've read and watched a lot of wuxia, but have never read or watched Demi-gods and Semi-devils. I had to look the name up. Since I'm not very familiar with it, it was easy for me to mix up the last two characters when working fast in the translation.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Lan Jin (8)

Not a ray of light shone in the cavern. We dropped into the stagnant darkness, a darkness within which waited a callous killer.

The thick, foul air must have been filled with poisons gasses, bottled up for who knew how many years. The three of us didnt dare open our mouths to breath deeply. But presumably Lan Jin felt the same. No one could breath in such abomination. Clinging to this assumption, we continued to climb down, regardless of what waited for us The clacking of the metal chain against the dirt walls was quite unsettling.

Suddenly, we could tell from the sound of the chain that it had reached the bottom.

We hesitated for a moment, and then Li Xunhuan jumped down. He swung his metal chain in a wide circle, defining an area of safety, after which You Danzhi and I jumped down.

It was just as dark at the bottom, the air even more foul. I felt at the slow-matches [99] I had concealed in robe and thought to myself: if I ignited one of them, there would surely be an explosion; the air here was clearly more toxic than a miasma. But that would be fine. When the crucial moment came, Lan Jin and I could perish together.

After paying attention attentively for a moment, it was evident we were in some subterranean otherworld. From the sounds emitted by the metal chain, we could tell we were in a very wide space. Because we were holding our breaths, we couldnt speak. But our thinking was the same. We slowly followed the whirling sound of Li Xunhuans metal chain.

Our imaginations could not conceive how to face a bloodthirsty enemy in this choking atmosphere. How horrific! At that time I truly felt that death would be an escape, and yet I felt no comfort in the constrictive darkness.

It seemed as if Lan Jin were a part of the blackness, that at any moment he could reach out and swallow us up. Perhaps it was destiny to face off against the greatest evil in such evil surroundings, to contend with darkness within darkness.

Ding ding ding, ding ding ding, ding ding ding, ding ding ding, ding ding ding, ding ding ding

The rhythmic sound of the metal chain rang out in the cave. It was the only thing that didnt belong to the darkness.

But.

The sound of the chain suddenly stopped.

I gripped my sword tightly, not daring to move.

Even though it occurred in the briefest moment of time, I definitely heard the sound of a sharp sword slitting a throat.

Li Xunhuan was dead.

Next, I hardened my heart and entered a word of stability. Moments later I heard a thump. Li Xunhuan had fallen.

You Danzhi was completely silent.

We both knew that if we wanted to live a moment longer in this darkness, we had to kill Lan Jin.

And yet, we couldnt make a sound, and must suppress any hint of an aura of death.

The sound of Li Xunhuans metal chain had betrayed his position, and betrayed his life.

What an unforgiving darkness.

I could not see Lan Jin, nor could I see You Danzhi. But, Lan Jin could not see us either.

We all waited for an opportunity.

An opportunity to attack.

I coolly searched for Lan Jins aura of death, but sadly he was repressing his just as we were, waiting for a chance to end this predestined face-off.

Seconds passed. Minutes. Time seemed to pass very slowly in the darkness. When holding ones breath for the time it takes two incense sticks to burn, times progress seemed even slower.

In a struggle of life and death which lacks auras of death, lacks light and shadow, the opportunity to attack came down to breathing.

Whoever breathed first, would die.

In this aspect, I seemed to have the best advantage, thanks to the Founders hundred years of inner force, as well as my Masters. Also, Lan Jin had entered the cave a bit before us, as much time as it takes to drink a cup of tea.

I focused my thoughts, preparing to demonstrate the unique palm and sword techniques I had created.

Now!

You Danzhi shouted, unable to withstand the pain of holding his breath. The fan in his hand swept through the air.

Splash!

Something hot spattered across my face, presumably fresh blood.

Lan Jin had attacked.

On the left.

My sword stabbed out!

Success!

You are more powerful.

Your death is certain.

Lan Jins voice seemed far and near at the same time. Both on the left and the right. The four words hed spoken seemed to come from nineteen different angles. It seemed hed used some strange movements to conceal himself in the darkness.

I was sure that I had stabbed his left shoulder, I couldnt be mistaken.

Using a swift movement technique, I changed positions, lightly brandishing my sword.

Ill ask you again. Why did you slaughter the Sect for no reason? I focused my thoughts, ready to sacrifice myself in an attack.

To practice my sword technique. As soon as he spoke, I felt the sharp aura of a sword pressing toward my back.

This truly was a frightening duel!

I spun and blocked with my sword, and a bloody glow erupted between the two swords. It glittered unceasingly, revealing our two bodies, and a set of devilish blue eyes.

Lan Jins sword, cold and merciless, stabbed from every direction at once. It was almost unbelievable. Instead of defending myself, I stabbed out rapidly at his vital points, hoping only to meet death along with him. And yet, our swords crossed repeatedly, the clear and melodious dinging of metal against metal sounding out endlessly. The sword auras roiled.

Lan Jins expression was cold and fearsome, but slowly, astonishment began to appear.

Ever since the time hed slaughtered the villages, not many had been able to cross swords with him successfully.

But my sword was a swift one, its speed tempered in the reefs at the bottom of the sea.

It moved faster and faster, and finally pierced Lan Jins defense, stabbing into his neck.

Lan Jin, his eyes opened wide, shot his finger out into the air, carrying sword-like Qi.

Ignoring the risk of the finger attack, I tossed away my sword and sent a palm strike toward the top of his skull. A fatal attack!

Lan Jin died?! I felt somewhat uneasy, fearing the great prince of devils would still struggle on.

Look. The palm of Masters left hand flashed in front of my eyes. There could be seen two horrific red scars, about the size of coins, right in the middle of his palm.

Master sighed. At the critical moment, Lan Jin shot sword aura toward my palm strike, and stabbed it through my hand.

Ah Yis mouth hung open. And then what?

Master didnt say anything more. His eyes were filled with deep puzzlement.

[99] I couldnt find much information about slow-matches in English. In fact I couldn't even find a pre-existing translation of the expression. Basically, its a sort of match, similar to a very slow burning fuse, which could be used to carry a spark around for a long period of time. When blown on, the spark would flare up, allowing you to make a fire.
    Last edited by deathblade; 06-12-14 at 11:11 AM. Reason: format change

Thanks deathblade

Lan Jin did not die? Thks deathblade.

Hey deathblade,

Slow matches are also known as fire bundles in English. Thanks for the great update.
    --=={Grundle}==--

really enjoying the story...keep up the good work
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Thanks. Loving the background buildup...

Thanks deathblade!

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    Hey deathblade,

Slow matches are also known as fire bundles in English. Thanks for the great update.
    Ah cool, thanks. After searching for fire bundles I see that there are even more words to describe this kind of device. I think none of them are the perfect word for this device, which I had to look up on Baidu to get a description of. The Chinese is 火褶子. It literally translates as "fire pleats." If anybody can find some English information about it the history of this device, I would be grateful.

Lan Jin (9)

A long time passed. Master shook his head and said, We shall stop here for today.

Ah Yi and I found it hard to accept that just when we reached the pinnacle of the story, it was time to stop. Ah Yi said, Master, if you have something to say, just say it!

Master knocked him on the head and said, What happened next is really impossible to believe. Perhaps it is the reason why people think I am a fool, so He wiped his face dry of tears and said, We will talk about it later.

That night, Master didnt mention any more of his illusory stories of the past. He absorbed himself in teaching Ah Yi how to circulate Qi through the acupuncture points. As for me, I contended with the venoms of a hundred-pacer snake, a green bamboo viper and an Eastern Russell's viper to increase my strength. [100]

An hour passed, and Master shook me. I opened my eyes, and a black mist emanated from the middle of my palm.

Does this kid really have superhuman intelligence? he asked me suspiciously. Ah Yi stood by looking embarrassed. It seemed he was incapable of comprehending the profound secrets of Qi manipulation.

Its always like this at the beginning, I said earnestly. Master could only stand up and continue to direct the hammer-dull Ah Yi.

[100] Here are the three types of snakes: hundred-pacer http://tinyurl.com/kqnhs5r, green bamboo snake http://tinyurl.com/n5stbn9, Eastern Russels viper http://tinyurl.com/l5yt5c9

Okay, part nine is really short! Haha. Don't blame me, blame Master. This is the end of part 2. Based on the number of pages in the version I am reading, it means we are 38% finished with the story. 62% more to go!

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    Ah cool, thanks. After searching for fire bundles I see that there are even more words to describe this kind of device. I think none of them are the perfect word for this device, which I had to look up on Baidu to get a description of. The Chinese is 火褶子. It literally translates as "fire pleats." If anybody can find some English information about it the history of this device, I would be grateful.
    I think 'smouldering bundle' or 'smouldering tinder bundle' might be a better translation of 火褶子 than 'slow match' because 火褶子 is a very primitive tool for keeping and starting a fire (used a lot in Asia in the past) whereas a slow match has been treated with chemical substance(s) and is pretty advanced. But the author may have used 火褶子 to mean a slow match.
    My page
    Stellar Transformations Glossary

NO SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED IN THE TRANSLATION THREAD!

TO POST AND DISCUSS SPOILERS, GO TO THE SPOILER THREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by he-man View Post
    I think 'smouldering bundle' or 'smouldering tinder bundle' might be a better translation of 火褶子 than 'slow match' because 火褶子 is a very primitive tool for keeping and starting a fire (used a lot in Asia in the past) whereas a slow match has been treated with chemical substance(s) and is pretty advanced. But the author may have used 火褶子 to mean a slow match.
    Yeah, good point. Okay, thanks for the input, I'll change it!

Damm this is a really short read then if we are 1/3 done, perfect length for 1 movie

Quote Originally Posted by ptsome110 View Post
    Damm this is a really short read then if we are 1/3 done, perfect length for 1 movie
    Yeah. And hopefully I will have it finished before the movie comes out!

Thanks deathblade

Thanks death blade

Quote Originally Posted by he-man View Post
    I don't quite agree with you about the method as being primitive. It is an old Chinese invention where cotton is soaked in a plant or flower juice (白芨), folded, creased and then lighted. It is kept in a small cylindrical bamboo case and it can smoulder in there for a long time. Once exposed to air, it flares up instantly and provides the flame. Old but not primitive, quite ingenious even. Some sort of creased fire starter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    I don't quite agree with you about the method as being primitive. It is an old Chinese invention where cotton is soaked in a plant or flower juice (白芨), folded, creased and then lighted. It is kept in a small cylindrical bamboo case and it can smoulder in there for a long time. Once exposed to air, it flares up instantly and provides the flame. Old but not primitive, quite ingenious even. Some sort of creased fire starter.
    So many thoughts on this. Hmm.... I can't believe there's no existing information on this in English....