Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    I got my MacBook from Hong Kong and it constantly changes things to British English spelling and I can't figure out how to change it! Lol.
    no worries. Some of us studied in the Queen's English.

thanks for the translation deathblade so someone begin to translate this novel but i think yuanzai is not the MC name it's feel like the cantonese version of yuan er like guo jing call yang guo guo er... no offense it can my my mistake too

i've read this story this story is good with unexpected twist of plot.. not want to write it because it'll be ahuge spoiler if i write it

A different author and a new novel .. thks deathblade ....

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsense View Post
    thanks for the translation deathblade so someone begin to translate this novel but i think yuanzai is not the MC name it's feel like the cantonese version of yuan er like guo jing call yang guo guo er... no offense it can my my mistake too

i've read this story this story is good with unexpected twist of plot.. not want to write it because it'll be ahuge spoiler if i write it
    You're right, his name is Shao Yuan, but his family calls him Yuan Zai. I'll go back later to change the footnote to make it clear. Please keep me posted of any mistakes I make that you notice, since you've read it before!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Old Man (3)

Sweat poured down through my eyebrows, stabbing into my eyes, so I closed them.

Cold sweat.

My god, could it be that I really did have heart disease?

Is it cold sweat?

The voice was very familiar, as if Id heard it before.

I opened my eyes. Standing there in front of me was the freakish old man from the book store, leaning forward, sincerely waiting for an answer.

I was a little bit perplexed and a little bit startled.

I dont know. Im sorry, I need to go to school. I quickly pushed down on the pedal, not wanting to be troubled by the old man any more.

One turn of the pedal and I slid past the crosswalk, but then suddenly it felt as if my bicycle was heavier than before.

I looked back and was nearly frightened to death.

The strange old man sat there on the back of my bike, staring at me, his eyes flashing.

If it had been you, what would you have done?

Stop the bike and give the old man a good thrashing?

Not me. Because my bike crashed. After all, I had just received an incredible, incredible fright.

I shrieked, but too late, as the bike toppled over to the left. My left knee banged onto the ground, tearing a hole into my blue pants. My left wrist also got scratched up.

And the old man?

He stood next to me without a mark on him. He peered down at me and asked, Was it a cold sweat just now?

This time I didnt care about the embarrassment. To sneak onto my bike in that way was unimaginably freakish. Perverted! Murderous!

Whats wrong with you?! I rebuked the weird old man, struggling to pull my bicycle up. This time I wasnt polite at all, and gave full vent to my grievance.

The old man didnt seem to care about my wound and didnt seem to think he had done anything wrong. He only seemed to care about his question.

The sweat on your forehead, was it cold sweat? The old mans question seemed so silly and meaningless. It led me to believe that he really was an out-and-out lunatic.

Once, a wise man, Im not sure who, said: good answers come from good questions. Meaningless questions cannot give birth to insightful responses.

A wise man, and a good saying.

It was cold sweat. Now dont bother me again! I was pissed off, but I tried to keep my voice steady.

As soon as the old man heard what I said, his eyes lit up. He nodded quickly. Excellent. Quite young, with ordinary capabilities but some good fundamentals. Well qualified!

You, really, piss, me, off! [19]

Do not follow me! I jumped back onto my bike, and without glancing at the old man, pushed down on the pedal.

If I received any more frights, my heart would most likely split open and ooze forth with pus.

I looked back at the old man. He paced back and forth on the street corner, seemingly lost in thought. I hurried to school.

What an unlucky morning.

[19] What he says here is a super colloquial and especially Taiwanese flavored expression that can't be directly translated into English. The basic meaning is, you're annoying me, I hate you, I am pissed off, etc.
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-03-14 at 12:27 AM. Reason: the subtitle was missing?? (thanks WesY2K ), fixed typo found by xiaomi

Now we are caught up to the previous English translation!

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsaw View Post
    no worries. Some of us studied in the Queen's English.
    I figured. Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of English. But I think it should be consistent. And since I'm American, well, I obviously would prefer mine to be consistently American.

Thanks - I didn't expect this speed since you stated earlier that you'll be proof-reading before posting!
    Really looking forward to this translation as I have no prior knowledge of the storyline or ending.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks - I didn't expect this speed since you stated earlier that you'll be proof-reading before posting!
    Really looking forward to this translation as I have no prior knowledge of the storyline or ending.
    Let me elaborate. Basically, my previous process was like this: In a translation session, I would finish a passage, proofread it, then immediately post in. Now I'm doing it a bit different. I always have two or three sections already translated and in a sort of posting queue. In a translation session, I finish a new passage, then go back to an old passage, proofread it, then post it. This way, a period of time passes between initial translation and posting, allowing me to look at each passage with fresh eyes.

Actually, the speed between postings shouldn't really be affected too much by this new method. That having been said, I'm being extra careful to translate things as accurately as possible, and in this novel there is more Taiwanese style mandarin, and also more colloquial expressions that I need to look up to double check my accuracy. So overall, I feel like it's going a little bit slower.

Thanks deathblade

Wow already caught up to previous works in two days! Looks like this is a good process .. fewer errors. Thks, deathblade.

Thank for those fast updates! Keep them coming, I keep reading them :-D

Thanks deathblade

A terrifying annoyance (1)

In morning study hall, I sat in my seat stealthily eating my breakfast. The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers, memorize characters, and ruin ones mood for the whole day.

Thump thump thump. I felt my back being stabbed with a ballpoint pen.

Are you hurt? asked the girl sitting behind me.

It was Yi Jing [20]. She loved to stab my back with things during morning study hall and then secretly chat with me.

You guessed it. Every story must have a cute girl in it, and in this story, in my life, she was obviously the girl I liked. Although, how deeply can a middle school student comprehend love?

Perhaps it was because our class only had eleven girls in it that I liked the one who was generally acknowledged to be the second cutest.

The girl everyone thought was the prettiest, Xiao Mi [21], was the girl my friend Ah Lun [22] had sworn to woo over, so I wasnt interested in her at all.

Listen, I ran into a crazy person this morning. He secretly jumped onto the back of my bicycle. God, it scared me half to death. I munched on a water fried dumpling [23] and stared out the window at the class adviser kissing up to one of the teachers.

So unlucky. Why did he jump on? Yi Jing eyed one of the dumplings in my drawer. Are they spicy?

As usual, I had prepared a cup of cold rice milk and a water fried dumpling to give her. Yeah, a little.

Last week, Yi Jing and I had made a bet about the results of the monthly English test, and at stake had been two weeks of breakfasts.

It was a game we two played. Our bets were usually over test results or papers. Up to now, the ratio of victories to defeats was a bit one-sided. I had three victories and seventeen unlucky defeats.

Yi Jing took the breakfast and asked, So tell me, what type of crazy was he?

I told her in great detail the whole story about what happened in the book store, as well as the crazy incident from this morning.

Are you messing with me? she said, surprised. How could he jump onto your bicycle without you realizing it? Wouldnt he shake the whole thing?

Exactly! I replied forcefully. What was really strange was that it suddenly felt like the bike was extra heavy, and thats why I looked back It must be because my health hasnt been very good lately, so I didnt notice when it happened.

The old guy is strange, for sure, said Yi Jing, but the strength of his hands must be amazing.

I nodded. Last night I tried for a few minutes, and theres no way to rip a book in two.

Yi Jing giggled. Youre really a lucky dog; the old man was merciful.

What do you mean? I asked.

When he was hiding on the back of your bike, he could have crack, twisted your neck in two

Can you not be so disgusting? I said. I didnt insult him. Why would he break my neck for no reason?

At that moment a paper airplane hit me in the chest. I looked at the paper airplane crafterAh Lun. He winked, indicating for me to open the airplane.

I unfolded the paper, and inside was written, No dating during morning study hall. P.S. Xiao Mi forgot to bring me breakfast, so I decided to tax you your sandwich.

I looked at Ah Lun. He really did have sharp eyes. In a glance hed noticed that Id bought an extra sandwich.

And here is where I must mentioned Ah Lun and Ah Yi [24].

Ah Lun and Ah Yi were my best pals in the class. Ah Lun was very mature, probably because his parents had died early. Hed told me that hed decided in the third grade to get married to Xiao Mi. He really was a little adult, and in his pursuit of Xiao Mi, he seemed to be just as persistent as the old man.

Ah Yi was the kind of person who after the prompt My Aspiration, had written voluminously about his desire to become a gangster. And since his aspiration was to be a gangster, of course he could fight very well. He also had a special power: he could smoke ten cigarettes at one time. I had a bet going with Ah Yi, that if he hadnt died from lung cancer by the age of 40, he could demand one million yuan from me. If he did get lung cancer, he didnt have to give me anything, because that would already be tragic enough.

On the way back to the classroom after flag-raising ceremony, I told Ah Lun and Ah Yi about the old man.

That old mans hands are strong. Great, said Ah Yi unconcernedly. Call him over to fight me. Whenever Ah Yi spoke, the smell of cigarettes emanated from his mouth.

For better or worse, he is an old person, said Ah Lun disapprovingly. Have a little respect, okay?

How can I be so weak? I said. My knees are already hurting and we still have to climb a mountain.

The school I studied at was Changhua Middle School [25], which was horribly located half way up Bagua Mountain [26]. It was a really torturous trek.

As soon as the words came out of my mouth, my footsteps grew heavy.

Was it starting again?

My breathing became unstable and my chest tightened.

The feeling I had last night and this morning, its happening again. I ground my teeth and said, You guys go back to the classroom, Ill catch up in a bit.

Take care of yourself, said Ah Yi, walking on.

Ah Lun laughed. Nice move. I should pretend to be sick too and see if it will make Xiao Mi worry about me.

My face twisted bitterly and I said, Im really not feeling good. Im actually thinking maybe I should ask for leave and go home.

Ah Lun disapproved. If you go back there to recover youll die an early death.

I nodded in complete agreement. Then Ill go to the hospital, get an X-ray and see if my heart really does have some sort of hole in it.

Suddenly, a pair of withered hands grasped my shoulders and turned me around, startling me half to death.

It was the same crazy old man who had knocked me down and hurt me this morning.

I was so startled that I didnt know whether to be angry or frightened. I just stood there stupidly, not even aware of whether or not my mouth was open.

[20] The name is Yi Jing 乙晶 (Yǐ jīng). The character jing means crystal
    [21] The name is Xiao Mi 小咪 (Xiǎo mī). The character mi is the onomatopoeia in Chinese for the mewling of a kitten
    [22] The name is Ah Lun 阿纶 (Ā ln). It doesnt have any special meaning really.
    [23] I couldnt find any english articles describing these types of dumplings but heres what they look like: http://goo.gl/Ws0i5K
    [24] The name is Ah Yi 阿义 (Ā y). The character yi means righteousness or justice
    [25] Changhua is Giddens Kos hometown. http://goo.gl/1t5yNc
    [26] Bagua mountain is a real place in Changhua. http://goo.gl/yJrNQF

By the way, I updated the first post of the thread. I added a table of contents as well as some information about the upcoming movie version of this book.
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-03-14 at 12:28 AM. Reason: fixed a bunch of mistakes found by WesY2K, made change suggestd by ycb5959, removed superfluous "suddenly," fixed typo, changed wording

Thanks!!!!

Some suggestions:

The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers, memorize characters, and ruin ones mood for the whole day.
    better: "
    and she ruined ones mood for the whole day"

Although, how deeply can a middle school student comprehend love?
    Better: "
    But then, how deeply can a middle school student comprehend love?

The girl everyone thought was the prettiest, Xiao Mi [21], was the girl my friend Ah Lun [22] had sworn to win, so I wasnt interested in her at all.
    Better: "woo over" or "woo"?
    Last edited by ycb5959; 04-30-14 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks deathblade

No action so far, not like Killers and Heroes ... Thks deathblade.

Thanks for more of this translation! Regarding the Dumplings: "水煎包 Shuǐ Jiān Bāo", ain't these Taiwanese Pot Stickers? Like these?
    http://homeinenglish.pixnet.net/blog...AD%AF%E8%80%85
    http://recetteschinoises.blogspot.de...ourres-et.html
    Last edited by WesY2K; 04-30-14 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks!!!!

Some suggestions:

The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers, memorize characters, and ruin ones mood for the whole day.
    better: "
    and she ruined ones mood for the whole day"

Although, how deeply can a middle school student comprehend love?
    Better: "
    But then, how deeply can a middle school student comprehend love?

The girl everyone thought was the prettiest, Xiao Mi [21], was the girl my friend Ah Lun [22] had sworn to win, so I wasnt interested in her at all.
    Better: "woo over" or "woo"?
    I'll digest this and make some changes later! Thanks!