Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu by Giddens Ko (功夫-九把刀)

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Thanks for more of this translation! Regarding the Dumplings: "水煎包 Shuǐ Jiān Bāo", ain't these Taiwanese Pot Stickers? Like these?
    http://homeinenglish.pixnet.net/blog...AD%AF%E8%80%85
    http://recetteschinoises.blogspot.de...ourres-et.html
    Yeah that's it. Although I don't think pot stickers is the best translation because I think usually pot stickers refers to dumplings fried in oil 锅贴 guo tie. These kind are a bit different. I've had them before, albeit not in Taiwan.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Thanks for more of this translation! Regarding the Dumplings: "水煎包 Shuǐ Jiān Bāo", ain't these Taiwanese Pot Stickers? Like these?
    http://homeinenglish.pixnet.net/blog...35695;者
    http://recetteschinoises.blogspot.de...ourres-et.html
    I too was wondering about this:
    A dumpling can be steamed, hence I can understand the water
    If it is fried, then oil is needed and not water

water fried dumpling?? Must go to Taiwan and check this out
    [at the same time, it is not impossible - remember Japanese "fried ice cream"? - fantastic innovation!]

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post

[at the same time, it is not impossible - remember Japanese "fried ice cream"? - fantastic innovation!]
    Well they are steamed and fried... But not fried with water. Hmm. Yeah I need to adjust the translation

You actually fry them in the pan and after a short time you add some water to give them a steamed feeling. And to not completly ruin your pan :-D

Now you did it, I'm hungry... :-)

Thanks deathblade

Nice cliffhanger! Thanks for another exciting update
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    No action so far, not like Killers and Heroes ... Thks deathblade.
    Yeah.. And there's a bit more to go before much happens FYI.

Thanks!!!!

Some suggestions:

The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers, memorize characters, and ruin ones mood for the whole day.
    better: "
    and she ruined ones mood for the whole day"[FONT=Verdana]
    For this one, I guess my grammar doesn't make clear the thought of the original. He's making fun of the teacher's rules. As in:

The teacher thinks a beautiful morning should be used for writing papers, memorizing characters, and (he sarcastically adds) ruining one's mood.

Make sense? Any suggestions on how to better express it?

Since this is him telling the story, maybe something like this would work?:
    The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers, memorize characters... or anything else that would ruin the good mood for the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    For this one, I guess my grammar doesn't make clear the thought of the original. He's making fun of the teacher's rules. As in:

The teacher thinks a beautiful morning should be used for writing papers, memorizing characters, and (he sarcastically adds) ruining one's mood.

Make sense? Any suggestions on how to better express it?
    It still makes sense the way it was originally translated. Everyone should understand the sarcasm already.

I agree that your original words is OK for the purpose but it does not denote sarcasm
    maybe this?:

The teacher, a crazy middle-aged woman, forbade eating, because a beautiful morning should be used to write papers and memorizing characters...and to ruin ones mood for the whole day.

A terrifying annoyance (2)

Ah Lun was also frozen for a moment. But then, almost immediately, he shouted, What are you doing? He pulled me back. This is that weird old guy? he asked. The one who messed with you this morning?

I nodded, thinking that I should be getting angry. I looked at the old man. He still wore the same old green Tang suit, but the filth smeared on his face couldnt cover the exuberance in his eyes.

What do you want? I asked weakly.

Do you feel bad? The old man looked me up and down.

I nodded my head vigorously. Every time I see you I feel bad, so please dont bother me any more. Ill read the book you recommended, I promise. At this point, a handful of students had gathered around, watching curiously.

The old man shook his head. Laughing, he said, Do you feel better now?

Another stupid question!

Just as I was about to flip out, my whole body suddenly felt very relaxed, as comfortable as if I had been submerged in a warm, bubbling hotspring. The mysterious pressure had been washed away.

I was reduced to silence, not sure of what to say. Then I heard Ah Lun say, Grandpa, please dont bother him any more. We have to go to class soon.

It seemed as if the old man didnt hear Ah Lun at all. He looked at me eagerly.

I forced myself to nod and say, I suddenly feel much better.

The old man seemed to go wild with joy. He grasped my arms and exclaimed, Then it is decided! Kneel to me and accept me as your master! Get on your knees!

This time I did not hesitate at all, was not the least bit doubtful. Master my ***!

The old man looked dumbfounded, then responded loudly: Quickly! Beg me to teach you martial arts [27]! Then I will pretend I need to consider. This was exactly the same as what happened in Demi-gods and Semi-Devils [28], in the part of the story were the Crocodile Deity of the Southern Sea tries to force Duan Yu to be his disciple.

The old man gripped my arm so hard it hurt, and I couldnt get free. But my mouth wasnt covered. What kind of martial arts are you going to teach me, you lunatic!? Teach me how to go crazy?

Youve got guts to stick around, you old fogie! cursed Ah Lun. I have a friend whos a professional fighter! He turned and ran off to find Ah Yi.

The old man ignored the surrounding students. He looked at me cautiously. You have a high level of aptitude! But I am not sure if I have time to teach you martial arts. It depends on your level of sincerity.

At that point I flipped out, crazily roaring, What are you ranting about? I didnt ask you to teach me!

The old man tilted his head, and in a somewhat foolish sounding tone said, Given that you have this level of sincerity and good faith, you should kneel next to me for three days and three nights. Then I will consider the situation carefully.

My arms were pinned, so I tried to kick the old man in the stomach, shouting, Someone go and get the Dean!

My kick hit his stomach, but he reacted as if he hadnt felt a thing. It is hard to tell whether your kick is hard or soft, it is quite messy all over. I can tell that you have been practicing blindly and achieving little progress. Your feet are bound and you cannot move forward. You seek accomplishment but can never achieve it. It is definitely because you lack the direction of a good teacher.

I was beyond furious, and aimed a kick at his shin bone. But this time his foot flew up, he drew back his knee, and then kicked out lightly. His tattered shoe adhered like glue to my kicking foot.

The old man shook his head and said, With this kick you attacked the prepared. It was a big mistake followed by a bigger mistake. After you make such a mistake, you cannot take it back. It is adding mistake upon mistake. If you want to avoid mistakes like this, you need to study at least one year of Heaven Reaching Painted Footsteps [29] with me.

Ill paint your mother! It was Ah Yi. He walked over, a cigarette hanging from his mouth, his head low, a ruthless expression in his eyes.

Grandpa, said Ah Lun kindly, You still havent left? My friend here is very impudent. Hell beat up anyone; kids, pregnant women, old people, cripples.

The old man looked at Ah Yi noncommittally. Youthful arrogance is taboo in the School of Military thought [30]. It is a portent of fire deviation [31]. Sadly, even though you are on the wrong path, I dont have time to teach you any good martial arts.

Ah Yi pushed Ah Lun aside. Let go of Shao Yuan[32]! he said fiercely. Otherwise, Ill bury you under that tree over there. Ah Yi pointed at the Royal Poinciana tree [33] next to the corridor entrance. Everyone standing around watching laughed quietly, and a few took positions to keep watch in case anyone approached.

The old man sighed and released me. It seems that I cannot become your master today. Come find me another day and do your best to complete the ceremony. I live at

Ah Yi threw his cigarette butt toward the old mans face, and then, fast as lightning, threw a punch toward his lower abdomen. The old man accepted the blow and dropped to his knees. Ah Yi kicked him hard in the face, You still dont scram? He had no respect whatsoever for the aged, and he held back no power.

At this point I actually felt sorry for the old man. He was so old, and yet was receiving a beating from Ah Yi.

Stop it! Ah Lun and I held back Ah Yi. I looked at the old man lying there on the ground and sighed. Dont bother me again, really.

I squatted next to the old man, blocking the vision of my surrounding classmates. From within my bag I pulled out a few hundred-yuan bills and stuffed them into his hand. Sir, I said softly, Im not looking down on you. I just want to help you buy a few meals. But please dont bother me any more, okay? Im a 20th century middle-school student, and in this age, students have to study their books, not go into the mountains to practice martial arts. Im really sorry.

This was my lack of personality. Some people said I was too sentimental, like a distracted woman.

I looked at the old man, and tears glistened within his eyes [34]. I was deeply concerned that I had damaged his dignity.

And then, unexpectedly, the old man grabbed my hand. Appreciatively, he said, Payment for lessons first, education later. Your sincerity has sincerely moved me. Ill accept the tuition. Later, I will teach you every stance of kung fu that you need. It really is fate.

I simply wanted to faint.

Then the bell sounded. Ah Lun pulled me solemnly toward the classroom, on the one hand admonishing Ah Yi for being so excessive as to hit and kick the old man, on the other hand reminding us of how incredibly crazy the man was.

What if he had been abandoned by his children and left to live on the street?!

Perhaps because they had deserted him, he spent the days acting crazy to try to gain sympathy.

I sat in geography class, unable to wipe from my mind the image of the old man being knocked to the ground. I couldnt help but look at Ah Yi, who was sleeping on his desk, and flip him the bird. He really had gone too far.

That day when classes let out, I walked with Yi Jing, slowly following Ah Lun and Xiao Mi down the mountain.

That old man really is weird, said Yi Jing. Who knows, you might even see him again soon

[27] The word for martial arts here is 武功 wu gong. It is a word that pretty much only appears in wuxia fiction. For the old man to say he will teach him wu gong makes him sound crazy, because wu gong implies the kind of fantastic, super powered martial arts that are depicted in wuxia novels.
    [28] You can read an incomplete translation of Demi-gods and Semi-devils here on the forum http://goo.gl/lb7qSC. Here is an article about it http://goo.gl/fxeu9p
    [29] As for the painted footsteps, the Chinese makes it sound like you are using your feet and legs to paint some specific movement or step.
    [30] This was one of the philosophical Schools of 100 thought http://goo.gl/gZlarX
    [31] This is a (fictional) injury that occurs when you practice martial arts incorrectly. Usually it involves serious and potentially fatal internal injuries
    [32] This is his real name. The name Yuan Zi, previously used, would be what his family calls him. The character shao 劭 Sho means excellent.
    [33] Read more about this type of tree here http://goo.gl/G13mC
    [34] But he did not shed them. Zhu Meng and Gao Jianfei would be proud. http://goo.gl/BWxeQP
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-03-14 at 02:14 AM. Reason: changed mistakes found by WesY2K, changed some wording

Thanks, again!

Thank you deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

In case people are wondering when some action will take place, don't worry. Things will pick up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    In case people are wondering when some action will take place, don't worry. Things will pick up soon.
    yup there'll some action soon
    click to show/hide spoilers
    firstly will be about the MC training with his master and thre'll story about his master past before the mc get into a little action against mob well the MC will get into action to save the beauty

Thanks deathblade

A Terrifying Annoyance (3)

To be frank, I said, when Ah Yi beat him up this morning, it really made me feel depressed. All day. Shit.

Youre really too nice. Thats why you always get bullied. As she walked the stairs down the mountain, Yi Jing looked at her English notebook, which was filled with words.

No matter what anybody says, seeing an old person get hit will ruin anyones mood. Originally I could complain about that old guy nonstop, I grumbled, but now I feel a little sorry for him.

Yi Jing nodded. She could always understand me.

Maybe it was just youthful sentiment, but Id always had a really pure affection for Yi Jing. The best part of every day was when class let out and we walked down Bagua Mountain together. In fact, being able to go to class with her might be the main reason I came to school at all.

But they say that the pure affections of one middle school student for another can only be limited toyes, pure affection.

I had to agree.

The tree-lined path down Bagua Mountain was beautiful. The golden rays of the setting sun flickered amongst the tree leaves. Occasionally, a crisp leaf would rustle past our shadows, carried along by a light breeze. It was a decent spring.

Yi Jing was a simple girl. Perhaps she wasnt ready to date yet. No problem, I wasnt ready yet either. It was fine to spend our humdrum youth just like this.

Just as I was indulging in my daydreams, sighing dramatically, I suddenly felt wobbly and almost fell down the stone steps. Luckily Yi Jing was there to prop me up.

I grabbed my chest. Cold sweat broke out on my forehead.

Thats right, it was the nasty, palpitating sensation again!

Yi Jing helped me to sit down on the stone steps. Frowning, she asked me, Why are you like this? Is it the same as it was this morning?

I nodded, panting. Last night, this morning on the way to school, this morning after flag-raising, and right now

I suddenly realized something so strange that it made my hair stand on end.

I looked around nervously, and without even thinking about it I gripped Yi Jings hand tightly.

Whats wrong? Dont scare me! said Yi Jing anxiously. Im going to run ahead and get Ah Lun and Xiao Mi!

She shook my hand off, placed her backpack on the stairs, and left me alone.

Left behind an increasingly frightened me!

My thinking, which previously was muddled by the same pressure that kept affecting my heart, was now clear and sharp.

Every time the strange feeling came over me, it seemed to have a strange connection to the appearance of the old man

A very unsettling connection.

I looked around carefully in all directions to see if he was anywhere nearby.

In the golden beauty of dusk, my consternation had condensed into a blueish anxiety in my heart. I panted because of the desolate pressure. I searched between the trees for the silhouette of the old man, not sure which would be more frightening, seeing him, or not.

Not there.

Not there.

Not there, either.

Over there? Not over there either.

Behind me also okay, not there either.

I let out a soft breath. Maybe I really did need to go see a doctor.

And then, just as I lowered my head, all the hairs on my body stood on end.

A numbing electricity vibrated through every pore in my body. A strong sense of uneasiness shot from the top of my skull down through my entire body. I lifted my head, and saw

On the tree directly above my head, wearing a green Tang suit, was the strange old man!

I let out a blood-curdling shriek: Ahhhh!

When I shouted, the old mans eyes transformed from sharp points to happy slivers.

What are you doing! Dont come near me! I shrieked, nearly tumbling down the stairs.

The benevolent is invincible, his heart fears not, he said. The long tree branch upon which he stood swayed gently in the wind.

Go away! I called out hysterically. Go!

The old man called out loudly as well, The benevolent is invincible, his heart fears not!

The old mans shout resonated like a bell, vibrating in my ears until they began to burn.

Whats wrong? Ah Lun dashed up the stairs carrying his backpack, followed by Xiao Mi and Yi Jing. I pointed at the old

The old man?

I pointed at a bare tree branch.

It swayed gently.

Are you dying? Ah Lun felt my forehead.

I stared stupidly at the lifeless tree branch and then looked around frustratedly. There was no sign of the old man.

I must be hallucinating, I muttered to myself.

Yi Jing gasped for breath, looking at me suspiciously.

I I think Im fine, running my hand through my hair.

The old man standing on the tree branch

Was it a hallucination?

Youre body is fine, you just havent been getting enough sleep, said the doctor, looking at the X-ray.

Thank you. I picked up my backpack.

Go home and go to sleep for me. Yi Jing smacked my head lightly.

I stood in front of the book store, not sure if I should go in.

Go home, be greeted by disgusting cigarette smoke and then submerged in ice-cold warmth.

Not go home, and run the risk of being frightened to death by the old man.

I kicked a pebble, thinking about Yi Jings warning.

Starting at six, Im going to call your house every other hour to see if youre there, she had said solemnly. Dont forget our bet over next months test. You stay at home for me and study. I dont want to have an unfair advantage.

I had no choice but to hoist up my backpack and ride my bicycle home.

As I thought more and more about Yi Jings repeated warnings, I couldnt help but smile.

Auntie Wang [35] left already. Theres food on the table, heat it up yourself and eat. Peng! [36]

Mom slapped down a Mahjong tile, and continued to bury her face in the game.

Ok. I quickly ate my cheerless dinner, and before my dad's loser friends had all arrived, snuck off to my room.

When you talk about children without warm families, youre talking about me.

I stared at the phone. It was 5:58.

I stared at the phone, waiting for a minute to go by.

And then I waited for another minute.

[35] Its not clear who this is. I assume its their 阿姨 maid or something. If it becomes important later I will clarify at the time.
    [36] This is something that you say when playing Mahjong
    Last edited by deathblade; 05-03-14 at 02:15 AM. Reason: fixed mistake found by WesY2K, fixed typo

Thanks!!!!