Page 2 of 230 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 盘龙 - Coiling Dragon, by I Eat Tomatoes (我吃西红柿) - NO SPOILERS!!!

Hmm, I guessed Wharton would have the requisite density of dragonblood in his vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    along the coastline of the northern sea of the continent, Baruch did battle against a Serpent Emperor. On that day, the waves crashed unceasingly and nearby cities crumbled, but after a vicious fight lasting a full day and night, Baruch finally executed the Serpent Emperor
    I think Hydra Emperor is more correct than Serpent Emperor as the author used the words 九头蛇皇 (lit. nine-headed serpent emperor) to name that creature.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    but maybe the movie inspired the author to write this novel.
    He was probably inspired by the works of another pioneer of the Chinese fantasy genre called Tang Jia San Shao (唐家三少 - 3rd Young Master of the Tang Clan). I'm not into Tang Jia San Shao's style though, too much romance and mushy stuff.
    My page
    Stellar Transformations Glossary

NO SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED IN THE TRANSLATION THREAD!

TO POST AND DISCUSS SPOILERS, GO TO THE SPOILER THREAD!

He-man, you are right! Somehow I missed the 九头 characters. I'll go with Nine-Headed Serpent Emperor, as the Hydra is mainly famous for growing extra heads, which I'm not sure if this beastie has the ability to do so.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-11-14 at 01:55 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks RWX.

Why would this book called prequel. It has no referenced at all to Xiuzhenist world or QY planet.

Quote Originally Posted by theSwordoftheWest View Post
    Thanks RWX.

Why would this book called prequel. It has no referenced at all to Xiuzhenist world or QY planet.
    he-man mentioned in the Stellar Transformations thread that one of the characters in Coiled Dragon appears as a minor character in Stellar Transformations.

From what I can draw upon from the current story in Stellar Transformations, the continent upon which Coiled Dragon is so far based on may or may not be on the same planet as the Qianlong continent, Teng Long continent or Chaotic Astral Ocean. Even if it was, it may still be feasible that 'Saints' are the equivalent of Shangxian on the Qianlong continent and that the 5th generation Dragon-Blood Warrior left the Yulan continent for the 'Overseas Saint World' just like what Qin Yu did when he achieved Nebula stage.

Also, this Yulan continent mentioned 'Mages' that appear to go along the same path as Warriors, i.e. First Rank, Second Rank, etc.

I'm also taking a potshot, but this Yulan continent with Mages smells awfully like where Uncle Lan may have come from, i.e. Uncle Lan and Li'Er may be a Mages. Also Li'Er mentioned that the place where she comes from:
    Lier is startled. She ponders for a while, which is a very rare sight, then says with a nod: My father has a very high position. He and others always fight for status and power so he doesnt spend a lot of time with me at all. There is a tinge of grief in her eyes.
    This description sounds like the current situation on the Yulan continent where people are fighting a lot.
    With autumns end came the season of military recruitment. With the entire continent engaged in an age of warfare, every youngster viewed becoming a mighty warrior as a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsong123 View Post
    he-man mentioned in the Stellar Transformations thread that one of the characters in Coiled Dragon appears as a minor character in Stellar Transformations.
    Two novels have no connection at all either in cultivation or culture.. The only thing that connects is that character alone who appears at the end of Stellar Transformations to connect both novels making them prequal and sequal.
    Mazes and Warriors mentioned are completely different. Their practice takes different path from Shangxian cultivation in stellar transformations.

I suggest readers not to compare two novels (Either world's or practice).
    Think these two are happening in two different universes.

Thanks rajmonarch for clearing that one.

Thanks shadowsong123 for your attempts.

I guess what makes it connects is ascension then. #notspoilerjusttease

Thanks RWX, this looks to be an interesting novel too. I guess Linley is our QY.

I'm a bit behind. But here are a few things:

they all considered Hillman to have been there benevolent master.
    they all considered Hillman to have been their benevolent master.

learned many words and could read most books.
    (I'm curious about the "words." Does it imply words as in English words, or Chinese characters...?)

Eyes brightening, Linley nodded. I know. According to Uncle Hillman, the legendary Four Supreme Warriors are the Dragonblood Warriors, the Violet Flame Warriors, the Tigerstriped Warriors, and the Undying Warriors.
    AND
    And our Baruch clan is the ancient clan which contains the exalted bloodline of the Dragonblood Warriors!
    (Here you switch to plural. Are these Titles, or the nicknames of specific people...?)
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Just back from a short trip and I am already several posts behind. I think you have the right balance where names are concerned. Don't get too carried away anglicising the names. You have a point there in terms of culture. China is a very mixed cultural pot, even in ancient times. There were many races, tribes in those times - Turks, Indians, Arabs, Uighurs, Mongols and so forth. Admiral Cheng Ho was a Turk and a Muslim. As far as I can gather, this is a western-styled fantasy novel with a twirl of Chinese flavor in it. As some have pointed out, it is about multi-verses and different realms too. I am in favor of your approach and style. Thks Ren.

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade View Post
    I'm a bit behind. But here are a few things:

they all considered Hillman to have been there benevolent master.
    they all considered Hillman to have been their benevolent master.

learned many words and could read most books.
    (I'm curious about the "words." Does it imply words as in English words, or Chinese characters...?)

Eyes brightening, Linley nodded. I know. According to Uncle Hillman, the legendary Four Supreme Warriors are the Dragonblood Warriors, the Violet Flame Warriors, the Tigerstriped Warriors, and the Undying Warriors.
    AND
    And our Baruch clan is the ancient clan which contains the exalted bloodline of the Dragonblood Warriors!
    (Here you switch to plural. Are these Titles, or the nicknames of specific people...?)
    Thanks so much! There changed to their.

In Chinese, the character for words used here was 字, which of course can mean either character or word. The full sentence was: "许多字都学会了". So it can mean either or.

RE plural, as you read on in the next chapter and shall see, although when Uncle Hillman first described them, the impression he gave me (and presumably the audience) was that they were the titles for four individuals (ie, 'There appeared four Supreme Warriors'), in the next chapter, Hogg Baruch reveal that the titles refer not only to a single individual, but to multiple individuals of a clan who have achieved a certain level of power in their bloodline. So that's why I switched from singular to plural from chapter one to three. You are right that Linley at this point doesn't know that they are multiples, though, so I'm switching Linley's dialogue over. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for their comments and input as well!
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-12-14 at 10:38 AM.

Got it. My personal opinion is that if it is a Chinese author and they use 字 then they mean character. If they use 单词 then it means "word." In the context of this story I'd like to understand what the author was thinking about what was written on the memorial tablets.... latin alphabet or Chinese characters...

Also, I caught up, and here are a couple other things:

This needle was just barely break the skin when it goes in.
    Maybe "would" would be better?

Linleys fists were clenched into fists!
    "hands" ...?

Keep up the good work! 加油!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    Hmm, I guessed Wharton would have the requisite density of dragonblood in his vein.
    I think of that too. I guess, later... Wharton will entering the Dragonblood Warrior training path and Linley walking on his own path to be the strongest. Linley's story may be similiar to Qin Yu's (Stellar Transformation) that he will do the best to make his father proud of him.

Thanks Ren
    Last edited by alphakdi; 05-12-14 at 11:12 AM.

Got it. My personal opinion is that if it is a Chinese author and they use 字 then they mean character. If they use 单词 then it means "word." In the context of this story I'd like to understand what the author was thinking about what was written on the memorial tablets.... latin alphabet or Chinese characters...

"hands" ...?

Changes made. Thanks again for comments! I personally think the characters were in Chinese as well; again, my personal opinion is that in this story, although it's Western-style, it's really just the names that are western, whereas the cultural aspects (including language) are much more heavily Chinese weighted.

If the Dragonblood 'clan' is anything to go by, there is only one Supreme warrior of each clan each generation, with large gaps in between where there are none. I'll bet Linley is still going to be the Dragonblood warrior - just a late starter, albeit one with good potential already.

Thanks Ren

"hands" ...?

Deathblade, I can now confirm that the characters in this novel use Chinese characters, not western words. There is a point in the story where Linley (林雷) meets another character from the Leylin clan (雷林), and they both laugh and joke about how those are just two characters reversed. So Chinese is the lingua fraca!

Book 1, Chapter 4 Growth (part 1)

The spring wind came, turning green the poplar trees near the empty space outside of Wushan town. On the empty ground, a group of youths were ardently training. Almost a year had passed since the Dragonblood test, and Linley was eight years old now. Over the course of this period of time, Hillman clearly saw that Linley had only become even harder working!

Well done, Linley! Hold it, hold it! Hillman encouraged from the side.

Right now, Linley was only wearing trousers. His upper body was covered with sweat, and his body, as taut as a drawn bowstring, was lying on the ground. His hands were pressed fiercely to the ground, as straight as tree trunks, while the rest of his body was motionless. He was supporting himself from a push-up position, with just his hands and the tips of his toes! His entire body was taut!

The Static Tension training exercise!

A very simple yet very effective training exercise. If a person could reach the level of being able to maintain this pose for an hour, then his body would no longer fear ordinary swords or sabres.

Drip, drip!

Beads of sweat rolled down from Linleys forehead. The sweat entered Linleys left eye, and he couldnt help but wince at the pain.

Ley is really amazing. Just eight years old, but hes able to match the thirteen year olds in doing the Static Tension exercise. Some of the children who had already given up were sprawled on the ground, chatting as they watched Linley.

Ley, keep it up! Keep it up for the rest of us! Beat those thirteen year olds! The golden-haired Hadley shouted from the side.

Yeah, keep it up, Ley! The other children started to chant as well.

Linley was on extremely good terms with the other kids. Although Linley was the child of a noble house, he was extremely kind to the children of commoners, and often helped them train as well.

Gotta hold it. Gotta hold it. Linley constantly said to himself.

In the back of Linleys mind, the words his father said a year ago constantly echoed. Linley, we are the family of the Dragonblood Warriors. As a member of the Dragonblood Warriors clan, you have an advantage, but also a disadvantage! The advantage is, even though the density of Dragonblood in your veins hasnt reached a sufficient level, your body will still be much stronger than those of most ordinary people. It might be very difficult for others to become a warrior of the sixth rank through training alone, but for you, it will be somewhat easier.

However, your disadvantage is this. The descendants of the Dragonblood clan are not able to train battle qi according to normal manuals. This is because the blood in our veins is only suited to the training method inside the Secret Dragonblood Manual. It conflicts with all other types of battle qi cultivation methods. Unfortunately, only those who have reached a certain density of Dragonblood are able to practice using the method within the Secret Dragonblood Manual. Therefore, you will not be able to cultivate battle qi at all.

Also, although in theory, anyone training the body can reach the sixth rank, thats just in theory. In practice, the number of people who accomplish this is very low. But for us, it is different. Even if the amount of Dragonblood in our veins is low, our starting level will be higher than others. Just from training alone, we can become warriors of the sixth rank. Your great grandfather, based on training alone, managed to become a warrior of the seventh rank!

Linley remembered his fathers words very clearly.

Linley growled to himself, Im stronger than everyone else now, only because of the Dragonblood in my veins. But since I cant practice battle qi, my only options are to work hard, and to work harder! Since great grandfather was able to become a warrior of the seventh rank, then I shallI shall become a warrior of the eighth rank. Or even the ninth rank! Nothing is impossible!

A warrior of the eighth rank!

A warrior of the ninth rank could be considered the most powerful expert in the entire country of Fenlai. A warrior of the eighth rank, although unable to restore the Baruch family to its former glories, would be able to dramatically improve its current situation.

Gotta hold! Linley gritted his teeth.

By this point, his muscles felt like they were being chewed on by countless ants. His entire body was quivering, and every single muscles on his entire body trembled. Every single trembling muscle could be seen visibly.

After a long time, in the end

Thud!

Linley, exhausted, collapsed to the ground.

That feels wonderful. Flat on the floor, his entire body relaxed, Linley could clearly feel how numb his entire body was. All the muscles on his body, after undergoing that training, were slowly growing. Although the growth wouldnt be noticeable from just one or two exercises, after a long period of time, the effects would be pronounced.

Hillman, off to the side, nodded with satisfaction.

And then, Hillmans face grew cold as he turned to look at the fourteen and fifteen year olds. All of you had better hold on! Linleys only eight years old, while all of you are almost adults. Dont let an eight year old get the better of you!

After morning exercises ended, Linley bid farewell to his group of friends and went towards the Baruch clan manor. If a stranger had seen him, the eight year old Linley surely would have been assumed to be eleven or twelve years old, and not just a mere child of eight.

The descendants of Baruch truly were different from other men.

Big brother! Upon seeing Linley, the healthy-looking Wharton rushed over.

Thats enough, Wharton. My entire body is covered with sweat. Let me wash myself first. Linley patted Wharton on the face and laughed.

Wharton hmphed. I know that as soon as you wash up, youll go take lessons from father.

As a member of a noble house, Linleys education began from a young age. The five-thousand year old Baruch clan was even stricter regarding educational matters than even the royal families of most kingdoms were.

Enough, Wharton. Ill play with you around noon. Linley laughed.

Wharton was only a child, while Linley was much more mature.

After washing up and changing into some fresh clothes, Linley entered the study. At this moment, his father, Hogg Baruch, was sitting in front of a desk, his back ramrod straight. In front of Hogg were three thick tomes.

Father! Linley respectfully bowed.

Hogg coldly nodded, and Linley quickly walked next to him.

Yesterday, I explained the history of the countries of the Yulan continent to you. Repeat it back to me. Hogg said coldly.

This was the real Hogg.

Instances like the time when he was holding the crying Linley in his arms were extremely rare. Normally, Hoggs attitude towards Linley could be summarized in one word: Strict. In all things, Hogg strove for perfection. He wouldnt let Linley get away with any mistakes.

Yes, father. Linley said calmly.

In the Yulan continent, there are three dangerous areas. The number one mountain range, the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. The second mountain range, the Mountain Range of the Setting Sun. And, the number one forest, the Forest of Darkness. The space these three dangerous regions take up is incomparably large. The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts runs across the entire continent, from north to south, covering over ten thousand kilomters. Within it are countless magical beasts, including Saint-level beasts which have the power to destroy the heavens and ravage the earth. Because of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, the Yulan continent has been divided into different regions.

West of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, there are twelve kingdoms and thirty-two duchies. Within these kingdoms and dukedoms, there are two major divisions. The first is the Holy Union, with the kingdom of Fenlai being the principal kingdom. The second is the Dark Alliance, with the kingdom of Heishi being the principal kingdom. These two alliances are opposed to each other and constantly battle because one is controlled by the Radiant Church, while the other belongs to the Cult of Shadows.

East of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, there are four empires, six major kingdoms, and countless duchies! These four empires are enormous, and are not influenced by the Holy Union or the Dark Alliance. In these four empires, the rule of the emperors is absolute. Any of the four empires are comparable to the Holy Union.

The four empires are the central Yulan Empire, the southeastern Rhine [Laiyin] Empire, the eastern Rohault [Luoao] Empire, and the northern OBrien [OBuLaiEn] Empire. After having said all this at one go, Linley let himself relax slightly.

Just this? Hogg frowned.

Linley was about to immediately continue, but Hogg cut him off. Let me ask you, within our Holy Union, how many kingdoms and duchies are there?

Within our Holy Union, there are six kingdoms and fiftesevente Linley suddenly frowned.

How many duchies were there in the Holy Union? Linleys memory was a bit hazy. He wasnt sure if it was fifteen, or if it was seventeen. He couldnt be sure.

Hmph!

His face cold and harsh, Hogg pulled out a wooden stick, and Linley obediently stuck his hand out.

His eyes narrowing, with a WHAP sound, Hogg whacked Linleys hand with the stick. A red line immediately appeared on Linleys hand, but Linley could only clench his teeth, not making a sound.

Linley, you must remember, we are currently living within the Holy Union. You must know everything about the Holy Union! Hogg coldly looked at his son. In the entire Yulan continent, the most important entities are the four empires and the two alliances.

Linley nodded.

Although his fathers words were simple, Linley clearly understood the deeper meaning.

At the far northern end, the Holy Union shares a border with the OBrien Empire. While at the southern end, the Dark Alliance intersects with the Yulan Empire. Under the guidance of the Radiant Church, the unity of our Holy Union isnt one whit inferior to that of the empires.

Listening to his fathers words, Linley agreed.

Yesterday, he had read many books. Clearly, the Holy Union could be considered the cultural center for the entire Yulan continent. At the same time, in terms of economic strength, it was on par with the Yulan Empire, making the two of them the most economically powerful entities in the world.

In addition, it had the support of the Radiant Church.

The Holy Union truly was very formidable.

Today, we will study art, Hogg said coldly. As the descendent of a noble family, you must have a thorough understanding and appreciation of art. Art is what gives noblemen an aura of gravitas! Hogg pulled out a large tome as thick as a fist, immediately opening it.

In the year 3578 of the Yulan calendar, the grandmaster stone-sculptor Proulx [Pulukesi] was born.

Off to the side, Hogg solemnly taught while Linley strove hard to memorize. He wanted to meet his fathers requirements.

CHAPTER FOUR - END
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-17-14 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Book 1, Chapter 4 Growth (part 1)

Also, although in theory, anyone training the body can reach the sixth rank, thats just in theory. In practice, the number of people who accomplish this is very low. But for us, it is different. Even if the amount of Dragonblood in our veins is low, our starting level will be higher than others. Just from training alone, we can become warriors of the sixth rank. Your Grandpa Zeng, based on training alone, managed to become a warrior of the seventh rank!

Linley remembered his fathers words very clearly.

Linley growled to himself, Im stronger than everyone else now, only because of the Dragonblood in my veins. But since I cant practice battle qi, my only options are to work hard, and to work harder! Since Grandpa Zeng was able to become a warrior of the seventh rank, then I shallI shall become a warrior of the eighth rank. Or even the ninth rank! Nothing is impossible!
    I think grandpa Zeng is actually great grandpa. (曾爷爷)
    My page
    Stellar Transformations Glossary

NO SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED IN THE TRANSLATION THREAD!

TO POST AND DISCUSS SPOILERS, GO TO THE SPOILER THREAD!

Definite shades of QY! Not able to accumulate battle qi though conventional practice.