Page 10 of 230 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: 盘龙 - Coiling Dragon, by I Eat Tomatoes (我吃西红柿) - NO SPOILERS!!!

Great update ... thks Ren.

Thanks all. Deathblade, wreckages is indeed the plural of wreckage. Agreed with your other proposed changes.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Book 1, Chapter 12 The Will of the Mighty (part 1)

Only after seeing the magical beast of the seventh rank, the Velocidragon, and its mysterious magus master depart, did Hogg calm down.

Uncle Hiri. Hogg immediately turned to look at his housetaker Hiri. Immediately order some people to recover all of the melted gold from within those piles of ashes. This adventuring party was quite extraordinary as well. No doubt, they had a great deal of wealth on them. I hope they had enough to recompense the losses we have suffered today

Hogg stared in all directions, seeing how so many houses had been reduced to rubble.

Yes, milord. Hiri nodded.

Hillman. Hogg turned to look at Hillman. Smiling, he said, What do you think?

Hillman nodded as well. I was absolutely terrified. When I saw that magical beast of the seventh rank, the Velocidragon, and that mysterious magus, I knew that Wushan township didnt have the slightest ability to fight back in any way. If such an exalted personage as a magus of the eighth rank decided to destroy our town on a whim, I doubt anyone would dare to criticize him, much less sanction or punish him.

Magi had extremely high social standings.

Normally, even an ordinary magus had the same social standing as a noble.

And a magus of the eighth rank? Even if he was in the presence of a king, he would not need to kneel or show obeisance. He could just chat while staying standing. From this, one could tell how exalted a level an eighth rank magus held.

Right. So, we should all celebrate the fact that not a single person from Wushan town perished today. Hogg laughed.

It definitely is worth celebrating, Hillman nodded and laughed as well.

Hillman, take some men to assist Uncle Hiri. After finishing up, please address the issue of the commoners who lost their houses. Hogg instructed.

Yes, lord Hogg. Hillman assented.

Hogg looked behind him carefully, then asked Hillman suspiciously, Hm? Where did Linley go? He was just here a moment ago.

No idea. Didnt notice. Hillman shook his head as well.

My lord, young master Linley has already went home. Hiri said from the side. Although, when he left, he seemed to be in a daze. No clue what he was thinking about.

Hogg thoughtfully nodded.

==================

If there was one thing which the Baruch clan manor did not lack for, it was rooms. In the days of the Baruch clans glories, hundreds of people lived here. The population now was much lower than before. Even an eight year old child such as Linley had his standalone quarters.

Within Linleys bedroom.

Linley was kneeling on the bed, his brow furrowed in thought.

Again and again, the terrifying power of the Dance of the Fire Serpents swam about in his minds eye. Those seven huge fire serpents and the tempest of flame they generated repeated in his mind over and over again, as well as how they instantly turned everything around them to ash, including the powerful warriors and magi of the small adventuring group.

Magi are so powerful.

Linley felt a thread of desire in his heart. Although I am a member of the Dragonblood Warriors clan, the density of Dragonblood in my veins is too low. The fact that anyone with Dragonblood is totally unable to utilize any other battle-qi cultivating methods is something which will hold back my ability to develop my warrior abilities to the maximum. I wonder if it would be possible for me to be a magus, instead.

Linley suddenly had the desire to become a magus.

That Velocidragon was terrifyingly powerful as well. If I were to have a Velocidragon, then

Linley began to think back to the awe-inspiring might of the Velocidragon.

Its lightning-fast, whip-like tail had so easily shattered the stone projectiles aimed at it, and had demolished any houses it touched. Its enormous body resembled huge siege weapons which armies might field in a war. Once it charged forward at a fast pace, considering how tough its scales were, the Velocidragon really would be a terrifying opponent.

Magical beastsI wonder how someone acquires a magical beast. Linley desired to have a magical beast of his own as well.

For whatever reason, as he lay on the bed, Linley simply couldnt fall asleep. He tossed and turned, his mind filled with images of the Velocidragon and the Dance of the Fire Serpents which the magus had displayed.

Linley, whats wrong? A familiar voice said.

Linley scrambled to his feet. Raising his head, he saw that it was his father, Hogg. At the moment, a smiling, praising look was on Hoggs face as he watched Linley.

Father. Linley said respectfully. Suddenly, Linley felt confused. Why is father smiling at me? And with this sort of expression?

Hogg was extremely strict with Linley, and rarely smiled at him in such a intimate manner. His current expression made Linley feel all the more astonished.

Not bad, not bad, Hogg said proudly as he looked at Linley. You really are a scion of our Dragonblood Warrior clan. You have our superior qualities. If a descendant of the Dragonblood Warriors were to be terrified of death, terrified of blood, of slaughter, then it would be an absolute joke.

Upon hearing these words, Linley immediately understood. His father was happy at how he had not been terrified by the sight of the Velocidragon eating Luke alive.

Linley said, surprised, Father, you saw everything?

That Velocidragon caused such a stir. How could I not? As soon as the Velocidragon arrived at Wushan township, I came out as well, but I was off to a different side. I could clearly see the expressions on your face and on Hillmans, Hogg nodded.

Linley grinned.

Back then, aside from the initial bit of panic, he later only felt his blood boil and surge, filling him with a thirst for bloodletting. Linley, as well, had wondered at the time if it was because of the Dragonblood in his veins.

Hogg laughed. Linley, did the events of today astonish you so much that you even forgot about dinner?

Dinner? Linley was startled.

Rumble. Linleys belly sounded in agreement at this time. Only now did Linley realize that the evening training hadnt even begun before the Velocidragon and the mysterious magus arrived.

By all rights, it was now time for dinner.

But Linleys mind was still preoccupied thinking about that Dance of the Fire Serpents and that Velocidragon.

Father, Id like to ask, is it possible for a member of the Dragonblood Warrior clan to become a magus? Linleys hands unconsciously balled up, clenching his bedsheets. He stared hard at his father.

Hogg was startled, but in the next moment he immediately understood. Looks like his child now wanted to become a magus.

It is possible. Hogg nodded.

Linley couldnt prevent a look of joy from appearing on his face.

Hogg waved his hand, motioning for Linley to calm down, before saying, Linley, there have been magi in the lineage of our Dragonblood Warrior clan. However, theres only been two in total. Linley, you should know that the most important thing for a magus is natural talent. Normally, only one person in ten thousand has the talent to become a magus. One in ten thousand! The chance really is very low. So, youd best not have too much hope.

Linley shook his head.

Father, so long as there is any hope, I will persevere. A solemn look was on Linleys face.

Hogg looked at the serious expression on his eight year old boys face. By all rights, a young child being so serious was an amusing thing. But Hogg did not laugh.

Hogg considered for a while, then said, Linley, every year, when the army recruitment drive begins in deep autumn, in the royal capital of Fenlai City, there is a magus student recruitment testing drive. If you really wish to go, when autumn comes around, you can go take the test.

Late autumn? Isnt that just half a year away? Linleys eyes were filled with excitement.

CHAPTER END
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-25-14 at 06:00 AM.

thanks for the chapter
    Last edited by ghostpeople; 07-24-14 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks Ren

yay! double update! Thanks Ren! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Ren

Thanks Ren

Thanks Ren Wo Wing

Thanks Ren

Thanks Ren.
    oh.. and some possible suggestion
    i think Kerry should Carl or Kell/kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ghostpeople View Post
    thanks, there seems to be part 1 twice
    好事成双? Thks Ren.

Thanks Ren, it was a good chapter

Thanks Ren, interesting chapter!

Oooh. Another update. That's fast. Thanks Ren.

Linley has already went home
    >
    Linley has already gonehome

abiities
    >
    abilties

And yeah, looks like you posted the same content twice.
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks Ren Wo Xing.

P.S. It seems you might have accidentally copied and pasted the chapter right after it in your post, or was it on purpose?

Oops, double posted. Thanks, fixed! Abiities fixed to abilities.

I'm in China now, so I did some extra translation on the plane XD

Book 1, Chapter 13 The Will of the Mighty (part 2)

At dinnertime, the three members of the Baruch clan and their housekeeper, Hiri, all shared dinner together. Little Wharton raised a cute ruckus at the dinner table, filling it with laughter. By the time dinner came to an end, the old housekeeper carried Wharton back to his room, while Linley and his father, Hogg, began to chat.

Right. Father, which one is stronger? A magus, or a warrior? Linley was curious.

Hogg glanced at Linley. Chuckling, he shook his head and said, Linley, magi and warriors each have their own strengths. At the same rank, a magus is perhaps slightly stronger than a warrior. But the most important thing is that the status of a magus is a full rank higher than that of an equivalent warrior. For example, that dual-element magus of the eighth rank, in terms of social standing, is perhaps slightly superior to even a warrior of the ninth rank.

If they are only slightly more powerful, why is there such a big discrepancy in status? Linley was curious.

Hogg laughed. Before discussing this, first you should understand the ranking system of the magi. There are nine ranks. First rank and second rank magi are considered junior magi. Third and fourth rank magi are considered mid-level magi. Fifth and sixth rank magi are considered senior magi. The three ranks above them; seventh, eighth and ninth? These are all terrifyingly powerful people. And of course, above the magi of the ninth rank are the Saint-level magi!

The reason why magi have such social standings is because the destructive potential their spells have is enormous. Hogg picked up a glass of juice and continued talking while sipping at it.

Destructive potential? Linley looked at his father.

Putting down the glass of juice, Hogg nodded. A single warrior, even a Dragonblood Warrior, can at most kill a hundred people with the swipe of a sword. When faced with a million man army, at best he could kill their leader, but when a leader dies, he can simply be replaced. But a Saint-level magus? If he chooses to utilize one of those powerful forbidden spells, he can annihilate an entire town or wipe out an army of hundreds of thousands. With an entire army destroyed, even if its leader survived, whats the use? Thus, to a kingdom, a Saint-level magus is more terrifying than an entire enemy army.

Linley immediately understood.

Lets not discuss Saint-level magi for now. Even a magus of the eighth or ninth rank would be capable of using spells which contain shocking power and are able to change the course of a battle. This is why magi have such a high social standing. Hogg said with a light chuckle.

Linley quietly nodded.

In the war-torn land of the Yulan continent, one could imagine how important the magi were to a kingdom.

Oh, right. Father, I read in one of the books that compared to a warrior, a magis physical strength is much weaker. But just then, I watched that magus jump down from the back of the Velocidragon with ease. How could his body be physically weak? Linley pursued.

Hogg replied, Lets discuss this question later. Linley, you should know that in the Yulan continent, an average persons lifespan is around 120-130 years. Powerful magi and warriors can live for longer, usually up to two or three hundred years, or sometimes even four hundred years. The absolute limit to a persons lifespan is five hundred years. Only those who have attained the legendary power of Saint-level combatants can live eternally, unbound by the dictates of time.

Linley nodded.

He had read of this in his books as well.

But Linley, do you know the reason why powerful warriors and magi enjoy such a long life-span? Hogg followed with a question.

Linley was startled.

Linley had always considered it to be a fact of life that powerful warriors and magi could live for three or four hundred years. He had never considered the reason.

Looking at the expression on Linleys face, Hogg couldnt help but laugh. Linley, first of all, I must tell you that in this world, there are elemental powers. Fire-type element, water-type element, wind-type element, earth-type element, lightning-type element, light-type element, and darkness-type element. Warriors and magi both rely on absorbing these elements from nature as part of their training. Both magic spells and battle-qi are fueled by and determined by a specific elemental type. If you had carefully observed, you would have been able to notice that in the adventuring party you saw earlier today, for the four warriors, the red-headed leader had fire-type battle-qi. The other three had either wind-type battle-qi, or water-type battle-qi. And just like battle-qi, the spells of magi also have elemental types!

This was the first time that Linley had ever heard about this. Only now did he learn that both magi and warriors relied on absorbing natural energy from the elements.

The reason why powerful magi can live so long is because when magi absorb natural elemental energy into their body to generate pure mageforce, when the elemental energy flows through their body, it will naturally refine their apertures, their joints, and their flesh, making their bodies stronger and stronger. With a stronger body, naturally they will live longer. By the same logic, when warriors cultivate their battle-qi, they also absorb natural energy, which flows through their body and strengthens it. The more powerful a warrior his, the stronger his body will be. Naturally, he will live a long life. Hogg explained everything in detail.

Linley felt as though only now did everything become crystal clear.

Based on his fathers words, the bodies of magi had also been strengthened by elemental power and would therefore naturally be very strong.

But father, why is it that people say magi have weak bodies? Linley was confused.

Hogg shook his head. Cant you think this through yourself? Magi only have weak bodies in comparison to warriors of the same rank, and not in absolute terms. For example, a magi of the eighth rank might have the same physical strength of a warrior of the second or third rank, even if he never engaged in any physical training. But of course, compared to a warrior of the eighth rank, his body would be very weak indeed!

Linley slapped himself on the head, then laughed, somewhat embarassed.

How could he not have realized this simple logic? His thoughts really had been too rigid.

Although, despite the fact that magi are vulnerable in melee combat, they do have their own ways to address this deficiency. One method is utilizing magical protective spells, such as the shield of earth, shield of ice, shield of wind, or shield of light spells. First, they would use their magic to defend; then, they would use their magic to strike back!

And truly powerful magi have another method. Using magical beasts!

Hearing these words, Linleys eyes shone.

Linley wanted a magical beast of his own as well, such as a powerful Velocidragon.

A powerful magical beast can protect the body of his magus, preventing enemies from getting close. This way, the magus can immediately cast his attacking spells to kill his opponents. Hogg smiled as he spoke.

Linley immediately asked, Father, how can a person acquire a magical beast companion?

Seeing the expression on Linleys face, Hogg couldnt help but laugh. Theres only two ways to acquire a magical beast companion. The first is to make the magical beast willingly subordinate himself to you and serve you. The second way is to use a soul-binding magical array to enslave the magical beast.

The requirements for the former are very difficult. For a magical beast to willingly subordinate himself to you, perhaps the only way is to defeat the magical beast in direct combat. Only then would he willingly follow you. For example, if you wanted to subdue a Velocidragon, you would first have to be able to defeat that Velocidragon in battle. His fathers words rendered Linley speechless.

He wanted a Velocidragon of his own, but how could he possibly have the power to defeat one?

As for the second method, it is extremely complicated to set up a soul-binding magical array. Only a magus of the seventh rank, at the very least, could set up such an array. Hogg said in a composed voice.

Linley was stunned. Father, by what you sayonly a magus of the seventh rank or higher can enslave a magical beast?

No, not necessarily. If you have enough money, you can purchase a soul-binding scroll. When the time comes, all you have to do is to tear it apart, and it will automatically generate a soul-binding magical array. However, a soul-binding scroll is amazingly expensive, Hogg said with a self-deprecating laugh.

How expensive is it? Linley pursued the topic.

Last I heard, the going price was around ten thousand gold coins. And whats more is, even if you had the money, theres almost no market for it due to its rarity. Hoggs words forced Linley to laugh bitterly at himself.

The hardest part to acquiring a magical beast companion was in defeating it.

Of course, you could always acquire a weak magical beast as a companion, but what would be the point? But for a powerful magical beast, do you have enough power of your own to subdue it? If you were to defeat it using traps and trickery, how could the magical beast possibly be willing to serve?

It isnt an easy thing to convince someone to whole-heartedly subordinate themself to you.

As for the second method of using a soul-binding array, it was clear that this option was only available to powerful magi or to wealthy people. Not even many noble clans would be willing to part with the extravagant sum of ten thousand coins for a single soul-binding scroll.

Chewing on his lips, Linley furrowed his brows in thought.

If I really want to acquire a magical beast companion, based on my familys economic situation, I would have to become a magus of the seventh rank first. Thats the only way. Linley secretly pondered all the possibilities, but he knew very well how difficult this would be.

And the first barrier to this plan? The question of whether or not he even had the natural talent to use magic!

After all, he only had a ten-thousand in one chance. If he didnt have the natural talent for it, then there was no way he could become a magus.

CHAPTER END
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-26-14 at 07:34 PM.

thank you Ren, great story and fast translation