Thread: Who was the more memorable/popular supporting character in the LUK SIU FUNG saga?

Default Who was the more memorable/popular supporting character in the LUK SIU FUNG saga?

In many wuxia stories, the supporting characters are as compelling as (if not more so than) that main character, and that's often the case in Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG. Not that Luk Siu Fung wasn't a charismatic, likable protagonist, but the popularity of his stories owes as much to his colorful supporting cast as it does to Luk Siu Fung himself.

Of the many fascinating supporting characters in LUK SIU FUNG, two stand out: the supreme swordsman Sai Mun Chui Sheut and the gentle blind hero Fa Mun Lau. Which of these two supporting characters do you believe is the more memorable/compelling?

no brainer for me: sai mun chui suet, though i know that most people prefer fa mun lau. in terms of impact on the overall series and "screen time", FML wins. but subjectively, i just think SMCS is awesome.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    no brainer for me: sai mun chui suet, though i know that most people prefer fa mun lau. in terms of impact on the overall series and "screen time", FML wins. but subjectively, i just think SMCS is awesome.
    Fa Mun Lau's facetime in LUK SIU FUNG was actually pretty scarce after the first story, which is surprising considering his overall popularity with fans. Fa Mun Lau appeared prominently in Book 1, made a brief cameo to help introduce Yip Goo Sing in Book 2, and then appeared only sporadically in a handful of the later books (I think he was absent for three or four books after his Book 2 cameo). By comparison, Sai Mun Chui Sheut appeared in most of the stories, and played a major role in at least two or three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Fa Mun Lau's facetime in LUK SIU FUNG was actually pretty scarce after the first story, which is surprising considering his overall popularity with fans. Fa Mun Lau appeared prominently in Book 1, made a brief cameo to help introduce Yip Goo Sing in Book 2, and then appeared only sporadically in a handful of the later books (I think he was absent for three or four books after his Book 2 cameo). By comparison, Sai Mun Chui Sheut appeared in most of the stories, and played a major role in at least two or three of them.
    been a while since i read the books, so maybe i'm misremembering--my memory is that FML has more screen time. he for sure had more screen time in book 3 than SMCS because he was with LSF most of the time while the latter chased around beijing for clues about the whereabouts of the two swordsmen.

btw, you haven't answered your own question.

I personally prefer Hua. Ximen was great and cool, but apart from his relationship with Sun Xiuqing and Ye Gucheng was very much a plot mechanic rather than a character (at least for the first few books - I don't know the story beyond Phantom Mansion). He was just this guy who could do anything. Hua, on the other hand, had a very limited ability with his martial arts, but the way he spoke, the way he thought, and the way he acted really endears himself to readers. Thing like his final words to Shangguan Feiyan, the way he protected Shi Xiuyun from attacking Ximen, and the general dialogue and supportive words he has for everyone makes me prefer him over Ximen.

been a while since i read the books, so maybe i'm misremembering--my memory is that FML has more screen time. he for sure had more screen time in book 3 than SMCS because he was with LSF most of the time while the latter chased around beijing for clues about the whereabouts of the two swordsmen.
    Fa Mun Lau's appearances throughout the LUK SIU FUNG saga are not as frequent as the adaptations suggest. Fa was clearly the second protagonist behind Luk himself in the first story, but had only a cameo appearance in the second story and did not appear at all in the third story (at least not in the novels). In fact, I think Fa Mun Lau was absent from Books 3, 4, and 5 of the LUK SIU FUNG saga, and his appearances thereafter were very sporadic as well.

Fa Mun Lau's appearances throughout the LUK SIU FUNG saga are not as frequent as the adaptations suggest. Fa was clearly the second protagonist behind Luk himself in the first story, but had only a cameo appearance in the second story and did not appear at all in the third story (at least not in the novels). In fact, I think Fa Mun Lau was absent from Books 3, 4, and 5 of the LUK SIU FUNG saga, and his appearances thereafter were very sporadic as well.
    huh, what tricks memory plays! time for a re-read, then!

just want to take this opportunity to also point out two other supporter characters who are memorable (though don't beat either SMCS or FML): honest monk and see hung zak sing, LXF's "nemesis". have to say, when it comes to quirky characters, GL beats JY. :P

just want to take this opportunity to also point out two other supporter characters who are memorable (though don't beat either SMCS or FML): honest monk and see hung zak sing, LXF's "nemesis". have to say, when it comes to quirky characters, GL beats JY. :P
    See Hung Jak Sing and Honest Monk are the next tier down in terms of prominence as supporting characters in the LUK SIU FUNG saga. Curiously, though neither the thief nor the monk have as much facetime per story as Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Fa Mun Lau generally get when they appear, at least they managed to put in appearances in *most* stories.

Another guy who just fell out of this list is Chu Ting. Chu Ting looked like he was going to share equal billing with Fa Mun Lau as most important supporting character in Book 1, but scarcely appeared again after that (even less than Fa did).

See Hung Jak Sing and Honest Monk are the next tier down in terms of prominence as supporting characters in the LUK SIU FUNG saga.
    but that doesn't make them any less compelling. i like both--yes, they're mostly there for comic relief, but they are still memorable; they are scene stealers in several cases.

Another guy who just fell out of this list is Chu Ting. Chu Ting looked like he was going to share equal billing with Fa Mun Lau as most important supporting character in Book 1, but scarcely appeared again after that (even less than Fa did).
    indeed! i think the problem lies in the fact that it is chu ting's skills more than his personality that's interesting. so, if you don't have use of a master locksmith-puzzle expert-inventor, then there's no point having him around.

Some cool images of Adam Cheng as Yip Goo Sing and Wong Yeun Sun as Sai Mun Chui Sheut:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://club.cqwb.com.cn/data/attachment/forum/201110/20/1622297w77sp7sxanasx4n.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imageshack.com/a/img843/8683/fmzhc.jpg')

note the spock-like eyebrows. :P

note the spock-like eyebrows. :P
    They must come with supreme swordsmanship; it's only logical.