Thread: Why did it take as long as it did for SMCS and YGS to approach each other for a duel?

Default Why did it take as long as it did for SMCS and YGS to approach each other for a duel?

When Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing each first appeared in LUK SIU FUNG, neither one was a wulin nooB. Although both were relatively young men (SMCS was in his late twenties and YGS in his early thirties), they had been operating in wulin for many years already, and each had acquired extensive reputations and battle records. So why did it take so long for them to finally meet up and agree on a duel?

they'd be honing their craft? or maybe they felt they were above all the sell-swords who constantly needed to challenge one another to silly competitions? well, SMCS did, anyway. and besides, he had quarterly killings to hone his skills and prove his might--most of his opponents had nicknames/honorary titles bequeathed them, so they weren't nobodies. if YGS hadn't gotten entangled into that silly political intrigue, they likely would never have dueled.

aaaaand i just sensed a collect sigh of relief that they did meet...
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    they'd be honing their craft? or maybe they felt they were above all the sell-swords who constantly needed to challenge one another to silly competitions? well, SMCS did, anyway. and besides, he had quarterly killings to hone his skills and prove his might--most of his opponents had nicknames/honorary titles bequeathed them, so they weren't nobodies. if YGS hadn't gotten entangled into that silly political intrigue, they likely would never have dueled.

aaaaand i just sensed a collect sigh of relief that they did meet...
    Even without Yip Goo Sing's getting involved in the conspiracy to overthrow the emperor, I get the sense that sooner or later, one of the two would have gone to challenge the other.

I believe both were honing their skills. It is not like Hua Shan Lun Jian was an annual event either.