Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparrow 《麻雀》- Li Yifeng, Zhou Dongyu, Zhang Luyi

Default Sparrow 《麻雀》- Li Yifeng, Zhou Dongyu, Zhang Luyi

Plus Zhang Ruoyun, Kan Qingzi, and others.

More info on Baidu Baike. I have not read it for I am trying to avoid spoilers.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img4.duitang.com/uploads/item/201609/05/20160905123435_mLXtB.jpeg')
    (Source: Duitang)

I have been actually watching most of this without that much fast forwarding (which is surprising for me as I normally dont like dramas set in this period).

Action starts in the first episode and I hardly find any of the episodes slow or redundant. Currently on episode 36 for uncut version. Would recommend

The playlist is on youtube here : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0VqPtPtv7PTaOd
    Also uncut/tv version is which is about one episode ahead on the same channel.

A Sparrow thread, finally! Thanks for creating this thread!

I LOVE this show. I watched it without any expectations, but it turns out to be good. I has good script, a good directing, and I like the setting and costumes of this time periode. The one that is lacking from this is the English subs *lol*, so I've been watching while reading the recaps.

Here is the short synopsys and character list, copy-pasted from Wiki:

Title: 麻雀 / Ma Que
    English title: Sparrow
    Genre: Republican, Revolution, Spy
    Episodes:
    Broadcast network: Hunan TV
    Broadcast period: 2016-Sep-05
    Opening theme song:
    Ending theme song:

Synopsis
    Li Yi Feng plays a double agent in this spy series set during the Republican Era.

Main cast

Li Yi Feng as Chen Shen 陈深
    Zhou Dong Yu (周冬雨) as Xu Bi Cheng 徐碧城
    Zhang Lu Yi (张鲁一) as Bi Zhong Liang 毕忠良
    Zhang Ruo Yun as Tang Shan Hai 唐山海
    Kan Qing Zi as Li Xiao Nan 李小男
    Li Xiao Ran as Shen Qiuxia 沈秋霞

Others

Yin Zheng as Su San Sheng 苏三省
    Liu Jia Tong (刘珈彤) as Liu Mei Na 柳美娜

Anyway, here is an MV of my favourite OST ( I think I've posted this everywhere ). Note : the MV is playing twice.

I also love the OST by SENS, that is the opening song and it's variations (the one that has been playing during melancholic scenes ), but I couldn't find it anywhere. If anyone knows, then please do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by poppies View Post
    More info on Baidu Baike. I have not read it for I am trying to avoid spoilers.
    Good for you. In fact, please, don't read anything *lol*. Don't even read the official character descriptions. There is an important spoiler there, and I just don't understand WHY they had to put it there. Avoid any comment sections in other websites that have been recapping this, since there are spoilers everywhere from the novel readers . There is an interesting surprise from one of the character, and I regret myself for having to read it (they wrote it without spoiler tags). It is supposed to be hidden in the story all this time, but we won't be able to see it, unless if we are suspicious enough to notice it.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 09-30-16 at 04:55 PM.

And here is the trailer cut. Too bad, they've deleted the Official Trailer, dunno why,so I post the one with Thai subs :

If you want to see the one with English subs, this is the cut version, but it's incomplete and only has LYF's parts (sorry, spcnet only allowed me to post 1 video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D_QZ1ZIEi0

I love all of the main casts. Zhang Lu Yi and Zhang Ruo Yan are amazing, and Li Yifeng is great too. I think this is his best performance so far. The girls are not less interesting. Love the sweet Kan Qing Zi and I wish Li Xiao Ran was not just a guest star. Some people think that Zhou Dong Yu is the least interesting out of all, but I think it's just how her character is written. She is doing great as an amateur agent, which makes her the most innocent and careless one among the experienced spies here.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 09-30-16 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    Anyway, here is an MV of my favourite OST ( I think I've posted this everywhere ). Note : the MV is playing twice.

This song is quite lovely. And your praise has got my interest further.

I might have to check this series out once it's done airing. It does look really good.

Adding this to my list. 60 episode though, that's pretty intense.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    This song is quite lovely. And your praise has got my interest further.

I might have to check this series out once it's done airing. It does look really good.

Adding this to my list. 60 episode though, that's pretty intense.
    Yeah. The song is one of the things that made me start watching *lol*. Anyway, The theme of the series is quite serious, so I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. The romance is also not the light-fluffy one, and the moment of romance between the OTP is rare and are mostly subtle (well, we have the more intense one recently, although I dunno how long that will last ), while some people are annoyed by the female lead ( dunno why, but until now, I still have no problems with her, although she has been making mistakes as an agent. I think her acting is good ). I guess I have no problems with that since I prefer a subtle romance.

The story itself is flowing nicely, moving from one conflict to another. And because there are several characters, then there are many things to tell and we have enough story for 60 episodes. With 2 episodes a day (1 episode on Fri-Sunday), we've reached epi 41-42 already. Sometimes I did fast-forward, but it was mostly because there was no English subs or because the topic was too political.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 10-01-16 at 05:03 PM.

I started this series because someone *wink wink* said they were watching. I saw the name of the main actress Zhou Dong Yu and decided to give it a try. I've heard about her awhile, being a Mu Girl and all.

I'm actually impressed with LYF in this drama, compared to his turn in Chusen he seems to grasp his character a lot better here. But then I felt the same way about ZYL in Nine Gates and Yang Zi in Ode to Joy.

The plot line is cohesive, there is a good build up of tension, though never to the point that I would be worried for anyone's fate. It's a good watch.

Only thing that bothers me is the female lead, am I the only one who doesn't like her? I'm a bit disappointing with the actress but it's the character that is annoying me a lot more. I can't make up my mind if it's the acting that's making her unlikable or the character that's making the acting subpar?

Cos I found Yang Zi character in Ode to Joy slap worthy for a good portion of the start but still found her acting to be excellent but here...I think the character is suppose to be someone admirable but I find her so annoying, maybe because I just finished Nine Gates with ZYL so the two female characters are kind of similar in my books but while I liked ZYL's take on her character but thought Nine Gates was a horrid series, I'm not liking ZDY even though I find Sparrow the superior series.

So confused by all these emotions...I might stick around for the whole of Sparrow if they continue to follow logic.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Hi Linda! SO, you're watching this too? *LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Only thing that bothers me is the female lead, am I the only one who doesn't like her? I'm a bit disappointing with the actress but it's the character that is annoying me a lot more. I can't make up my mind if it's the acting that's making her unlikable or the character that's making the acting subpar?
    I think it's the opposite. Me (and my friend) are the only ones who like her *LOL* . I think Bicheng (ZDY's character) is a character who is an amateur and has a lot to learn. If there's no Chen Shen and Shanhai helping her all this time, then she would've been discovered since a long time ago. Then again, she is also a character who is constantly learning and maturing during the show. You can see that she is actually smart, brave and quite perceptive (that's why she could read Chen Shen and Xiao Nan a bit). Then again, she has the least (no?) 'battle' experience compared to the others, emotional and rash, so she often got panic and didn't know what to do. And, she lacks the ability to 'read' the enemies (which is understandable, since she is a beginner).

Someone in other forum wrote that ZDY herself said that her character (Bicheng) was rather dumb *LOL*. I don't think the problem is in the acting, but that's how her character is written. You can see how her eyes showed concern when she looked at Chen Shen, and if you have watched the recent episodes, you can see that ZDY's acting is good and Bicheng's character have become smarter and calmer than before.

So confused by all these emotions...I might stick around for the whole of Sparrow if they continue to follow logic.
    I have no problems with the logic so far. People have been acting and reacting logically (well, there's 1 thing that still made me wonder, but we'll see) . For me, I think every character has been acting based on solid reasons, although it sometimes frustrated the viewers (especially the recent episodes).

Anyway, it's already episode 41/42. We are nearing the episode 60, so I'm expecting more interesting things coming (because, I've read the spoilers - BIG SIGH ). Luckily, I managed to avoid the spoiler details, so I still have the excitement of waiting for it

ME!!! one thing that kind of holding me back to watch it so eagerly everyday. Especially their future romance, didn't feel 'that special feeling' for the couple. Just don't know why, sumthing missing.

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post
    ME!!! one thing that kind of holding me back to watch it so eagerly everyday. Especially their future romance, didn't feel 'that special feeling' for the couple. Just don't know why, sumthing missing.
    Although I have no problems with the romance (from every couple in the show), it's understandable if there are people who are annoyed by the female lead. The thing is, Sparrow doesnt have the typical smart spunky female leads like most dramas have this days. I've written my opinion on what kinda lead ZDY was in my previous post, and she has become smarter in the recent episodes. Still, perhaps she is still not appealing for some people. I actually think that the 2nd female lead is more interesting. Then again, she already has her own role, and I quite enjoy the back and forth of romance between the lead and those girls.

And, Sparrow is not a drama that focuses on romance. The story revolves around the spy things, when the characters have been making strategies and trying to outsmart the others. The romance and bromance and family love are flowing along the story in a subtle manner. There is a triangle (more than 3, actually) love story, but we dont see it becomes the only focus of the show. For me, the show is about a battle of wits between the characters and, of course, the love between those agents.

yes agree about not focusing on romance but still there's a romance
    ...don't know just like i said before, something missing. As the character itself helping, i think the actress doesn't posses some charisma or don't know, no chemistry with LYF? It's same kind of Jin Yun character(n the actress) in Disguiser. I like the 2nd female lead better. Well it;s just my opinion tho, because i think lots of viewers shipping this couple, me only the minority ^^

Just too bad no eng sub, only counting on from recap *thanks* otherwise it will be more interesting

yes agree about not focusing on romance but still there's a romance
    ...don't know just like i said before, something missing. As the character itself helping, i think the actress doesn't posses some charisma or don't know, no chemistry with LYF? It's same kind of Jin Yun character(n the actress) in Disguiser. I like the 2nd female lead better. Well it;s just my opinion tho, because i think lots of viewers shipping this couple, me only the minority ^^

Just too bad no eng sub, only counting on from recap *thanks* otherwise it will be more interesting
    You're right, it's a mater of a different taste. I know that I ship Chen Shen-Bicheng like some people do, but I also know that some others don't like her and prefer Xiao Nan (the 2nd lead) instead. In my case, I love Xiao Nan. She is such a sweet, kind and understanding girl. But, I still ship Chen Shen-Bicheng. Perhaps it's because I'm a sucker for angsty romance and I usually root for the main couple. Since the beginning, the romance setup between them have gotten me hooked. The bigger the obstacle, the more I want them to be together. Still, I've been preparing myself for a sad ending *lol*, although I still don't know what kind of ending that we'll got with the many rumors out there.

Regarding the chemistry, yup, a different taste too. I think LYF has chemistry with both girls. I think Kan Qing Zi (Xiao Nan) is very pretty and tall. I love watching them together, such a beautiful couple. Plus, they usually wore matching outfits. On the other hand, LYF-ZDY kinda remind me of a couple in manga, where the guy is bigger while the girl is petite. Perhaps it's just my impression, because ZDY is not that small compared to KQZ, but that's just how I saw it. And, LYF's acting is good here, since we can see how much Chen Shen loves Bicheng from his eyes. So does the opposite.

Anyway, the romance took more parts in the recent episodes . I can see the chemistry between Chen Shen-Bicheng is growing, although many viewers are frustrated *lol*. And yeah, the lack of English sub is really disturbing. Luckily, there are people who are willing to explain the important conversations. I'm hooked already, so I can't let it go since I love the story and the conflicts and I ship those 2 hard. I still want to watch until the end, even only by reading recaps.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 10-04-16 at 09:14 PM.

yeah it's about preference, maybe just because i didn't really buy the the backstory of their previous romance, not strong enough to make me think why they're so in luv and cant get over the luv ^^

Fortunately the story is not too focus on romance, they're balancing the story well. I watch it because i want to see LYF in action genre and i luv tortured hero. Good to hear Sparrow do well, i was worried at first

yeah it's about preference, maybe just because i didn't really buy the the backstory of their previous romance, not strong enough to make me think why they're so in luv and cant get over the luv ^^
    Ah, no wonder. If you arent sold on their backstory, then it'll be more difficult to accept the pairing. That is the foundation of Chen Shen-Bicheng's love. There was once a little 'discussion' over this in other forum . They thought that perhaps the love relationship really means something for Chen Shen since it happened when he was still young and 'honest'. He didnt have to pretend to be anything or anyone back then, like what he has been doing after he became a spy. So, the love felt more genuine and true.

Anyway, for me, watching them all smiling happily in the flashback just made me sympathize with them. Plus, they just love exchanging meaningful gazes .

Fortunately the story is not too focus on romance, they're balancing the story well. I watch it because i want to see LYF in action genre and i luv tortured hero. Good to hear Sparrow do well, i was worried at first
    Yeah, they're balancing the story well. Kudos to the writer and director. I'm glad that the script writer is the novel writer himself.

I also LOVE a tortured hero. And, I think he is not the only one who is tortured here *lol*. I read in another website that one of the core theme of this series is "If for a person we can forsake our own life, then what else is there that we cannot withstand?" . No wonder, coz most of the main characters sacrifice their lifes/love for another. It is touching and heartbreaking at the same time.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 10-05-16 at 02:51 AM.

Just started watching this - I like Li Yifeng's character here SO MUCH more than Legend of Chusen - Seems like quite a good show so far, with neat action and very sharp characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
    Just started watching this - I like Li Yifeng's character here SO MUCH more than Legend of Chusen - Seems like quite a good show so far, with neat action and very sharp characters.
    I've reached epi 50 ..The plot has become more intense (esprecially since that new villain came out) and I'm nervous *lol*. I hope the ending is good

I've reached epi 50 ..The plot has become more intense (esprecially since that new villain came out) and I'm nervous *lol*. I hope the ending is good
    Oohhh. Sounds like a treat! I'm only up to episode 1 and a half, and it's been pretty A-OK so far. Zhang Lu Yi is really good at playing villains and torture masters hahaha

-

Bicheng already left me unimpressed despite only seeing her character on screen twice. Not even going to bother talking about the actress girl - I'd just be in this for the bromance and action instead xD Though, I find it odd that Zhong Liang, in Ep 3, pointed a gun at Chen Shen, said all that stuff and Chen Shen still saved his life again? And kind of forgot all about it after pouting around a bit?
    Last edited by Outsanity; 10-07-16 at 11:44 PM.

Oohhh. Sounds like a treat! I'm only up to episode 1 and a half, and it's been pretty A-OK so far. Zhang Lu Yi is really good at playing villains and torture masters hahaha
    I love Zhang Lu Yi too "lol*. He is a charismatic and cool villain. I love his bromance , as well as being enemies with Chen Shen. Love his acting here

That new villain is called San Sheng,who appears on epi 20-25. He is ruthless and obsessive. What makes it worse is he is smart too and have a personal grudge towards Chen Shen(and Shanhai, so automatically Bicheng too). While Zhongliang is cool calm and calculative, San Sheng really racks his brain and aggresively tries to bring Chen Shen etc down. He will cause more trouble for the main leads.

Bicheng already left me unimpressed despite only seeing her character on screen twice. Not even going to bother talking about the actress girl - I'd just be in this for the bromance and action instead xD Though, I find it odd that Zhong Liang, in Ep 3, pointed a gun at Chen Shen, said all that stuff and Chen Shen still saved his life again? And kind of forgot all about it after pouting around a bit?
    Xiao Nan,the actress,is amazing *lol*. She will help Chen Shen a lot, even without him realizing it. Yeah, you should rely on the boys in the beginning since they were the ones who were professional smart and cunning. The girls will shine too as the story goes, providing help and assistance.

As for Bicheng, she goes on and off between smart and observant vs reckless . After all, she is an amateur. She is learning during the show, and she becomes smarter and braver after epi 35-40 *especially when Chen Shen is in trouble -lol*..yeah.it is still a long way to go..if u are still watching until that far.

Regarding the gun pointing, Chen Shen-Zhongliang was basically 'brothers'. Chen Shen was close to his wife too, like a little brother. I believe that Chen Shen truly cared about him, despite everything, thus able to forgive him. And, he intended to stay there longer too..so wasnt it best for him to let go of things and continued his role there?

I love Zhang Lu Yi too "lol*. He is a charismatic and cool villain. I love his bromance , as well as being enemies with Chen Shen. Love his acting here

That new villain is called San Sheng,who appears on epi 20-25. He is ruthless and obsessive. What makes it worse is he is smart too and have a personal grudge towards Chen Shen(and Shanhai, so automatically Bicheng too). While Zhongliang is cool calm and calculative, San Sheng really racks his brain and aggresively tries to bring Chen Shen etc down. He will cause more trouble for the main leads.

Xiao Nan,the actress,is amazing *lol*. She will help Chen Shen a lot, even without him realizing it. Yeah, you should rely on the boys in the beginning since they were the ones who were professional smart and cunning. The girls will shine too as the story goes, providing help and assistance.

As for Bicheng, she goes on and off between smart and observant vs reckless . After all, she is an amateur. She is learning during the show, and she becomes smarter and braver after epi 35-40 *especially when Chen Shen is in trouble -lol*..yeah.it is still a long way to go..if u are still watching until that far.

Regarding the gun pointing, Chen Shen-Zhongliang was basically 'brothers'. Chen Shen was close to his wife too, like a little brother. I believe that Chen Shen truly cared about him, despite everything, thus able to forgive him. And, he intended to stay there longer too..so wasnt it best for him to let go of things and continued his role there?
    Yeah, I'll probably stick around this drama - it's the only thing that really caught my interest in terms of TV series. I will look forward to the girl's development, then. They both seem to be in the background while all the guys shine, though the original girl, the one being tortured in the beginning is also very, very cool.

Yes, they're brothers - which is exactly why I don't get why Zhongliang will do that to Chen Shen - he was downright ruthless and he's always testing/paranoid of Chen Shen - and next moment he's like extremely caring and gentle. And then Chen Shen is just like literally pout, throw a pouty tantrum after saving Zhongliang and .... nothing ever happened ._. Or maybe I am just taking the whole pointing a gun at your brother and threatening to kill him while accusing him thing too seriously?

But dang, Zhang Lu Yi is a really, really good actor. When he's being evil, you can feel the chill and when he's being brotherly, you can see the warmth in his eyes. It's amazing ._. Plus, his voice is hypnotic.

Yeah, I'll probably stick around this drama - it's the only thing that really caught my interest in terms of TV series. I will look forward to the girl's development, then. They both seem to be in the background while all the guys shine, though the original girl, the one being tortured in the beginning is also very, very cool.
    Well, I think the boys do shine more than the girls. The girls has more parts later on, but Bicheng needs time to grow, being an amateur herself. Xiao Nan, on the other hand, helps when Chen Shen is cornered , or if he doesnt have any other way to solve a problem. Based on the spoilers that I get, they should have bigger parts near the end..and I'm still waiting for it.
    Yeah, the girl who is tortured is a senior actress. I LOVE her. Too bad, she is just a guest star.

Yes, they're brothers - which is exactly why I don't get why Zhongliang will do that to Chen Shen - he was downright ruthless and he's always testing/paranoid of Chen Shen - and next moment he's like extremely caring and gentle. And then Chen Shen is just like literally pout, throw a pouty tantrum after saving Zhongliang and .... nothing ever happened ._. Or maybe I am just taking the whole pointing a gun at your brother and threatening to kill him while accusing him thing too seriously?
    I think, in epi 2, Chen Shen thought that someone as cunning as Zhongliang wouldnt believe his story just like that. It seemed that they knew each other much to make them care about each other, as well as suspicious of each other. Chen Shen was his 'brother', but he was also a person who loved his country. Zhongliang was a person who once loyal to the country, but then crossed to the other sides. Plus, they were both smart too. So naturally, they already had their own dislikes and suspicious toward one another. That's why the gun pointing didnt seem to be a big deal, I think. While Zhongliang was still care about him, he also couldnt dismiss the possibility that Chen Shen was against him. Chen Shen himself was already a spy, so the most important thing for him was to deflect the suspicion and continued his job there.

Yeah, this 'bromance' is unique because they were both ready to betray the other. Then again, in the future episodes, you can see that both actually still care about each other. And Chen Shen will also complain on why Zhongliang always suspect him. They 'just' stand on the opposite sides and have different beliefs. Those are the things that make them enemies.

But dang, Zhang Lu Yi is a really, really good actor. When he's being evil, you can feel the chill and when he's being brotherly, you can see the warmth in his eyes. It's amazing ._. Plus, his voice is hypnotic.
    Yes, he is amazing isnt he? I like his voice too *lol*. He has this mature charismatic vibe, and I never hate him although he is a villain. You loved him when he cared about Chen Shen, then he made you scared when he was evil again.