Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Song of the Exile -- Yun Zhongyue

Chapter One: 6

The group of kids exited the forest and in the distance saw Little Wenchang leading his big yellow dog, pursuing two strong horses bolting for the other side of the slope. Clearly, the Cai Family Village chief had certainly just returned to the village with the steward from Fine Horse Village, as the horses' sadadles had not yet been taken off! Heavens! To say a little kid is sneaking off with horse, who can't even get onto the saddle and can't control the horses, can you consider that sneaking off? Maybe the horses had not gone a long distance, maybe he wasn't sneaking off with them, only leading them.

Little Wenchang, since his cousins had started school, had gradually become estranged to them. Actually he was leading the horses, and when he saw the group of kids shouting, he assumed they were marvelling at his ability, so he let go of one of the horse's reins and suddenly led the other horse away a bit, turned it around, and throwing the reins up behind it, stepped into the stirrup and climbed up onto the carved saddle.

He sat the horse well, his manner strong, and he turned his head to the kids hurrying over and laughed haughtily, and striking a pose, shook the reins.

The kid leading the grouped stopped and said in an affected manner: “Ha! Uncle Little Tiger is so spirited.”

Little Wenchang was small, but his seniority was great, to be addressed “uncle”, yet still called by his pet name, not only was the manner of calling disrespectful, it was an offensive violation.

Yet Little Wenchang didn't care if the manner of addressing himself was right or not, he just smiled weakly and flicked the reins. But his flick was bad, and the horse suddenly jumped forward three feet.

His legs were short, and the horses back was wide, so it was too easy to slide around and too difficult to get a stable purchase, so when the horse lept forward, he was thrown from its back.

“Ha ha ha ha! Uncle Little Tiger, let's see your brilliance again,” the group of kids hooted and hollered merrily.

Only one kid ran over, that was Wenkui, who was four yeard older than Wenchang. He ran over and flung off his book bag and extended his hand and helped Wenchang up. he said concernedly: “Brother Chang, are you hurt? Hurt...”

“Thanks, Brother Kui,” Wenchang said, shaking his head with a forced smile.

The kids had surrounded him, laughing uproariously, while standing to the side was Wenhua, who humph and said: “Little Tiger, it serves you right. Humph, you dare to ride dad's horse, you have a lot of nerve. When I go home and tell him he'll give you a taste of his leather whip, and then we'll see if you dare do it again.”

Little Wenchang felt pain in his hands and feet, and he was incensed by that talk. He got to his feet and with arms akimbo, he got close and said darkly: “You vile thing! Except for tattling to your superiors, what else can you do? You...”

Wenhua stepped back, his face went green. He was shorter than Wenchang, yet he was stronger, and his clean white face was that of a spoiled child. Little Wenchang was younger than him by two years, yet was a head taller, and though he looked thin and frail, he was actually strong and sharp. The two didn't get along and would sometimes come to blows; every time it was Wenchang standing firm in the wind while Wenhua went home crying to tell, with the result that Wenchang got the whip. Little Wenchang recently had not clashed much with Wenhua, because Wenhua was his older brother, and because his uncle's whip was hard to endure.

But today he was not able to let things slide. What was the big deal about riding a horse? Getting thrown had gotten him worked up so that he was too angry to suppress it, so he pressed forward and opened up on Wenhua.

Wenhua knew Little Wenchang's fists were devastating, so his face went green and he stepped back. He didn't wait for Wenchang to finish speaking, but said: “I won't fight you; gentlemen can argue without coming to blows, there's no need to tussle like barbarians...”

With a pop, Little Wenchang's fist answered for him, his fist pounding on his chest, knocking him down.

“Waa!...Daddy!...” He burst into loud sobbing, calling for his dad.

Wenkui was shocked, he never suspected Little Wenchang's fist to fly so fast, he wanted to stop it but was too late, but his put himself between the two and shouted: “Brother Chang, don't carry on like that, how can you just strike out like that without a word?”

Another close friend of Wenhua shouted: “You brute! You knocked him over.”

This kid was a head taller than Wenchang, quite sturdy and overbearingly he pounced, both hands spread, and wrapped them around Wenchang's waist and ran him over.

But Little Wenchang didn't go down with him, his two hands came out with “Double Winds Pierce the Ear”. They weren't palms, they were fists, and they came at him surprisingly fast.

“Ai!...” the cry shot out, and they both toppled over together.

Little Wenchang threw off the hands around his waist and rolled over, scrabbling up and with a humph! rushed out of the crowd to the horse he had been leading and muttered: “Compared to me, what are you all?”

The ancestral temple was in the middle of the village, and the village was quite expansive. A village of a hundred households in a mountain area was already considered a big village. Around the village had been erected rammed earth walls to protect against the intrusion of wild animals and robbers. Not far to the west of the ancestral temple was the village head's house, a three-entrance courtyard, not magnificent, but spare, and behind that was a storehouse and an animal pen.

Little Wenchang led the two horses into the courtyard, Big Yellow barking and then running past the wheat-threshing ground and running up the steps to the main hall, and a tall and thin middle-aged man came out.

He had a round, amiable face, big eyes, long eyebrows, and a black beard parted to form the shape of the number eight 八. His hands wereclasped behind his back, silent, not smiling, watching Little Wenchang lead the horses in. He said: “Hitch them up, I have to leave soon.”

Little Wenchang hitched them up on the post to the left, his mind unsettled and flustered, because the Cai Family Village chief had that most hated look on his face, called a “smile that conceals a knife”, a portent of an impending beating.

He hitched up the horses and turned his head and asked fearfully: “Does uncle have anything further instructions?”

“Come here.”

Little Wenchang knew he couldn't avoid it, so he hung his head and ascended the steps. He raised his head to look and saw five or six hired hands standing beside the village chief, he didn't know when they got there, along with his hated enemy Wenhua with dried tears on his face, hiding beside the village chief's leg, glaring fiercely at Wenchang.

“Chang'er, did you out of the blue hit your big brother?” Cai Village Chief said.

Little Wenchang knew it was useless to try to explain himself, so he nodded and said: “Chang'er hit him.”

A loud bang and the whip was dropped at his feet, and Village Chief Cai said with a cloudy voice: “Get ready for your punishment.”

The whip was the punishment. Little Wenchang grit his teeth, picked up the whip and kneeled down. He raised the whip high in both hands and crawled on his knees up the steps and stopped stiff and straight in front of Village Chief Cai.

“You know your mistake?” Village Chief Cai asked, and he took the whip from the boy's hands.

“I know I was wrong,” he said woodenly.

“You, low wretch, if there goes a day without beating you, you just cause trouble...”

Crack! Little Wenchang felt the sting on his back like a red-hot poker, the pain so bad he cried out and straightened his body. Kneeling unsteadily, he faltered and rolled down the steps.

“Get up here!” the village chief roared.

He grit his teeth and didn't cry out in pain anymore, but climbed back up the steps and knelt down. Crack crack crack! the sharp sound pierced his ears and he was aware of nothing else in the world but the whip.

Ten strokes and he was curled up on the ground. Strange! The last nine strokes he did not utter a sound except some inward groaning.

Village Chief Cai's voice he heard as if it were coming from far away: “The whip makes a filial son, and a filial son makes a loyal official. Your temperament is fierce and brutal, you show no respect to your elders, from a young age you already use fists to deal with your big brother, in the days to come how much more terrible will you get? If I don't teach you a lesson, in the future you will certainly become an evil doer defyling the laws of man and heaven. You dam and mom are dead, so it's my responsibilty to teach you. If I don't teach you well, in the future people will reprove me, saying I'm just putting on airs but have no ability to teach well. Remember this well, if you bully your brother again you will regret it forever. You will not eat tonight, to help you plant this firmly in your mind.”

When he was finished speaking, Village Chief Cai handed the whip to one of his hired hands, and with the manager went down the steps, got on his horse, and left.

The hired hands held blank faces. Ten strokes was nothing much, but for a small child, it was really too excessive.

Little Wenchang struggled to his feet, raised his head. Wenhua was a short distance away with his lips curled and his nose scrunched up, looking at him scornfully and with an air of satisfaction.

Little Wenchang's back looked like a hot iron had been taken to it, and it felt numb. Seeing Wenhua's evil face stirred his courage, and he suddenly wiped the tears from his face and raised his fists at Wenhua and two two strided forward, gnashing his teeth.

No fateful encounter there ... just a teaser from the author ... thks whiteskwirl.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    No fateful encounter there ... just a teaser from the author ... thks whiteskwirl.
    Yeah, but I think the old man must be important later, he was described into much detail to just be a one-off character.

Thanks whiteskwril

Great update thanks...

Thanks whiteskwril

Thanks whiteskwril

Thanks whiteskwirl

Thanks whiteskwril

Thanks whiteskwril

Last edited by whiteskwirl; 01-27-18 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    Is this a teaser that there will be finally some more? If it is, I am superexcited!

http://volarenovels.com/volare-honor...r-yun-zhongyue Song of Exile is now officially licensed and will be coming to volare novels this Spring. I will be translating it.

That's great! Congratulations Whiteskwirl! Where to pre-order? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    That's great! Congratulations Whiteskwirl! Where to pre-order? :-)
    It will be serialized for free on volare, chapter by chapter. Like the other novels on there. Ebook and print edition will come afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    It will be serialized for free on volare, chapter by chapter. Like the other novels on there. Ebook and print edition will come afterwards.
    Do you know when the series will start there?

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Do you know when the series will start there?
    Sometime this Spring. Not sure exactly when yet. I want to stockpile chapters first so I can comfortably release 2/day.

Just play the game of the chain in a block, I won three of them with 0.1, so I got thousands of them. this is a very good game, so I recommend this game, everybody can come to play, this game is that there is no way to cheat, all data are in the open, so we do not have to be afraid of being cheated!!
    Love can go to understand to see!!
    http://108usd.com/#/

Song of Exile is out now on volare novels: http://volarenovels.com/song-of-exile/ Launch announcement: http://volarenovels.com/volare-welco...song-of-exile/Ahhhhh, first officially licensed wuxia novel in this community since Becky Tai's Eleventh Son way back when. If anyone is still here I invite you to check this novel out. Yun Zhongyue's style is unique: a lot of historical detail w/r/t culture and daily minutiae and geography, and more realistic depictions of martial arts fighting. Also, the author takes a more cynical view of heroism and villainy.