Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Swallowed Star

Quote Originally Posted by mathew1122 View Post
    "After the infection of the RR disease, the death rate was reaching 30%. In a matter of those three months, excluding the mass deaths of animals, the population of the world dropped by nearly 2 billion!"

"The survivors neared 5 billion, whom all have a natural resistance against the disease."

-----

"September, 2015. Starting from the attack of the plethora of organisms in the sea, countless of 'beast' transformed animals started attacking human settlements!"

-----

A war that lasted five and a half years, the most horrifying war! In this war, deaths totaled to nearly 10 billion.
    "After the infection of the RR disease, the death rate was reaching 30%. In a matter of those three months, excluding the mass deaths of animals, the population of the world dropped by nearly 2 billions!"

"The survivors neared 5 billions, whom all have a natural resistance against the disease."

-----

"September, 2015. Starting from the attack of the plethora of organisms in the sea, countless of 'beast' transformed animals started attacking human settlements!"

-----

A war that lasted five and a half years, the most horrifying war! In this war, deaths totaled to nearly 3 billions.

I think the author make a mistake on the 10 billions number.

Deaths because of virus 2 billions. Total population of China, India, the United States of America, the European Union, and Russia before the war and after the virus would be around 2.x billions. Total survivors of war on these 5 areas (including refugess) should be around 2 billions. Deaths because of war all over the world should be around 2.x billions.

"Aight." Luo Hong Guo laughed and stood up to get the bowls and chopsticks.
    "Alright." Luo Hong Guo laughed and stood up to get the bowls and chopsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    "After the infection of the RR disease, the death rate was reaching 30%. In a matter of those three months, excluding the mass deaths of animals, the population of the world dropped by nearly 2 billions!"

"The survivors neared 5 billions, whom all have a natural resistance against the disease."

-----

-----

A war that lasted five and a half years, the most horrifying war! In this war, deaths totaled to nearly 3 billions.

I think the author make a mistake on the 10 billions number.

Deaths because of virus 2 billions. Total population of China, India, the United States of America, the European Union, and Russia before the war and after the virus would be around 2.x billions. Total survivors of war on these 5 areas (including refugess) should be around 2 billions. Deaths because of war all over the world should be around 2.x billions.

"Alright." Luo Hong Guo laughed and stood up to get the bowls and chopsticks.
    I'm keeping "billion" because
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie...nglish/billion

first part of the math was fine.
    A death rate of 30%
    2 billion people die
    original population equals x
    so if 2/x dies then that should be 30% of the population
    2/x=.3
    2/.3=x=6.667
    2 bill die so
    6.667 - 2 = 4.667 that rounds up to 5 bill so it makes sense to have 5 bill survivors

2nd part is...

using the population exponential growth equation: P(final) = P(initial)e^rt

world population in 2008 6,689 (in millions)
    world population in 1990 5267 (in millions)

6689 = (5267)e^r(18)
    r = 0.0132779692 (worlds growth rate)
    so in 5.5 years
    (5000)e^r(5.5) = 5378.8....
    let's just assume the mortality rate of went down because of the RR virus allowing more people to die from monster attacks

the "aight" is slang
    Last edited by mathew1122; 07-22-14 at 10:25 PM.

Chapter 14: You asked for it (part 2)

A cell phone started ringing, Luo Hong Guo, who was currently moving the furniture, rejoiced in his heart: "It must be from Feng" However, since Luo Hong Guo is moving furniture, he can't answer the phone. He'll have to call back after he puts the piece of furniture down.

"Rest for a bit outside the house, lightly, slowly" Luo Hong Guo and his group slowly put the furniture down.

Luo Hong Guo took the cell phone out of his pocket. Looking at the display, the call was indeed from his son. He let out a smile and preparing to call back.

"What's the problem with you guys?"

"Hey, we told you guys to be careful, what are you guys doing?" A voice of anger rose.

Luo Hong Guo and his group turned their heads in surprise and only saw Zhang Hao Bai's gloomy face. Zhang Hao Bai was angrily pointing at the marble: "Is this how you do things? Since you guys weren't even focusing, look, my home's pavement was broken by you guys. This is Nan-Shan marble, which was bought outside the city. One piece of marble would cost around a hundred thousand dollars, can you pay that? HUH!!!"

Luo Hong Guo and his group lowered their heads and looked——

Indeed, on the pavement towards the road, one of the marble had a small crack.

"Hmph, I'll call your company's boss. What's with this" Zhang Hao Bai fumed, "Brother Wang, you have their company's phone number right? Call their company and get their boss over here! There's no point in talking with these people anymore"

"I have their company's phone number here" The bodyguard named Wang immediately took out his cell phone and started dialing.

Luo Hong Guo and his group were well acquainted.

"That's wrong" The large worker immediately said, "The crack on the marble was already there. I saw it"

"Making excuses? There is no ****ing point in making excuses" Zhang Hao Bai laughed loudly.

Luo Hong Guo frowned. As an experienced, old worker, he knew these kinds of disputes were the most troublesome. The company usually highly values its reputation. If their reputation is harmed and the company has no evidence to prove that their workers didn't make the crack, then usually the company can only pay for the loss.

If the company pays money, then the money will be taken out of the salary of the three workers responsible.

"Let's move the furniture in first and then talk" Luo Hong Guo spoke as he went to lift the furniture.

"Move the furniture?"

Zhang Hao Bai stepped forward and shoved Luo Hong Guo and started lecturing the three workers, "Don't play tricks! The furniture on the marble is the proof! You want to move the furniture in and then play dumb? I've seen these petty tricks all the time. Wait for your boss to come and then talk"

"Old Luo, old Luo"

The other two co workers went to help Luo Hong Guo up.

"No problem" Luo Hong Guo brushed off his shoulder.

"How could you guys shove people"

"We aren't even sure if we broke the marble, what's the meaning of shoving?" The other two co workers immediately glared and spoke in anger. These people who do these kinds of work fear nothing, if they are angered, then a fight would occur. Even if they get jailed by the police, they only want money and not their lives, so even the police cannot deal with them and will eventually release them.

"Don't try and argue with me!" Zhang Hao Bai's two legs were like lightning and kicked the two workers' stomachs.

[PU! PU!]

The two co workers flew away and fell on the ground.

"Hmph, you don't know who you're arguing with" Zhang Hao Bai laughed coldly. His Zhang family in the Zhi-An region had a wide range of contacts. Even if he beat up some regular workers, nothing would happen.

"Old Tian, Big Monkey, are you okay?" Luo Hong Guo was getting nervous too.

"Young man, how could you do this?" Luo Hong Guo said angrily.

Zhang Hao Bai frowned after smelling Luo Hong Guo's sweat and waved: "Brother Wang, you guys teach them a lesson so they'll be quiet"

"Young Master, the remodeling company" The bodyguard named Wang handed over the cell phone.

"Okay" Zhang Hao Bai waved his hand and the three bodyguards immediately went to beat up the three workers, while Zhang Hao Bai held the phone, "Yes, I am from the sky garden. Let your chairman Hou take the phone. Chairman Hou, what's the problem with the three workers you sent today? They are sloppy and cracked open my lawn's marble pavement. Hurry up and send people and sort this out. If you don't figure this out, don't expect any money!"

While the conversation was still going——

“Stop!”An angry voice came from outside the lawn.

At this time, Luo Hong Guo and his coworkers were in a corner and had foot prints all over them from the bodyguards.

"Hm?" The three bodyguards and Zhang Hao Bai all turned their heads.

A shady image flew into the lawn and Zhang Hao Bai recognized him in an instant and raged: "Luo Feng, you came to my house to receive a beating?"

"**** you!" Luo Feng saw his father: bent back, drenched in sweat, and covered in foot prints. Luo Feng's eyes immediately turned red. His father had to endure such a bitter life and is always frowned upon. And today, something like this happened to him.

One of the bodyguards who was short and fat laughed coldly as he stepped up.

"Get the **** out of the way!!!" Luo Feng shouted and his leg, like lightning, kicked harshly. The bodyguard even blocked it with his right arm.

[PENG!]

The heavy kick immediately widened the fat, short bodyguard's eyes. He flew out four to five meters in the air before falling back to the ground. The other two bodyguards were stunned.

"Luo Feng, you dare hit my men!" Zhang Hao Bai glared and shouted, "You asked for it"

"**** you!!!" Luo Feng shouted in anger as he glared fiercely and clenched his teeth.
    Last edited by mathew1122; 07-22-14 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks Mathew1122

Thanks mathew1122

ty cant wait for nexxt1

Ty and I really dislike that Zhang Hao Bai

Thanks mathew1122

It'd be so sweet if his instructor comes to stop him for some reason and Luo Feng is just like "You said becoming a fighter I can have anyone disappear? Make these Body Guards and that Trash disappear"

Just give the bastards a lesson, Feng...!! Thanks for the translation

Thanks mathew1122

Quote Originally Posted by alphakdi View Post
    Just give the bastards a lesson, Feng...!! Thanks for the translation
    well he already beat up zhang before with 2 other elites because they made him mad or something, this time hes powered up. Lets see how hard he beats them up, major injuries please.

Thanks Mathew1122!!! I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew1122 View Post
    "Don't try and argue with me!" Luo Hong Bai's two legs were like lightning and kicked the two workers' stomachs.
    I am imagining that Zhang Hao Bai and Luo Hong Guo fused together (dragon ball z merge technique) and then kick the two guys.

I continued learning Chinese and "try" to translate another chapter again. Here my noobie translated chapter 15.

Please just treat this as a spoiler.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...45L6Vnf-I/edit

Mathew1122, I think I should post in a spoiler thread but there isn't one. If you think it should go to a spoiler thread, please make that thread. That Swallowed Star spoiler thread's creator should be mathew1122
    Last edited by herman285; 07-22-14 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks Mathew1122

So, everyone was wrong and the dad didn't die? Or is it too early to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by herman285 View Post

I am imagining that Zhang Hao Bai and Luo Hong Guo fused together (dragon ball z merge technique) and then kick the two guys.

I continued learning Chinese and "try" to translate another chapter again. Here my noobie translated chapter 15.

Mathew1122, I think I should post in a spoiler thread but there isn't one. If you think it should go to a spoiler thread, please make that thread. That Swallowed Star spoiler thread's creator should be mathew1122
    Hmmmm. instead of doing this as a spoiler you could try sharing a doc with mathew and allowing him to check your work while maybe doing a little of it himself so as a small group you two release more.

Thanks Matthew1122
    Quote Originally Posted by HidingShadow View Post
    Hmmmm. instead of doing this as a spoiler you could try sharing a doc with mathew and allowing him to check your work while maybe doing a little of it himself so as a small group you two release more.
    Yes , i agree, it's surprisingly readable.
    Last edited by sentry91; 07-23-14 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by herman285 View Post

If you can, you should work with him i believe you could speed up the translation!

Thanks mathew1122!

Quote Originally Posted by HidingShadow View Post
    yeah, on the stellar transformation thread someone was using systran and a automatic dictionary to translate. which made me think maybe translation could be transformed into a process system rather than an art.
    1. use the systrane translator with the custom built dictionary to translate (this will be the bones)
    2. then have low - mid tier translators go in and make things coherent (the joints & ligaments)
    3. have high level translators finish the final touches (the muscles)
    4. finally have fans or someone with basic chinese knowledge but strong english grammar refine it for a smooth read (this is normally already being done after a chapter is released and ppl post their suggestions)

* But a team leader / champion for this idea is needed to coordinate everything. Its really easy to talk, much harder to actually implement.