Thread: Polygymy was still legal in HK until 1971?

Default Polygymy was still legal in HK until 1971?

I didn't know polygamy was still legal in Hong Kong until 1971?!

I was reading about the Ting Hai effect and Greed of Man and Stanley Ho was mentioned in the sequel. I read Stanley Ho has four wives and 17 children. Wow.

My question is how did polygamy in HK lasted that long?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I have no idea about HK polygamy laws, but culturally polygamy didn't seem to be a bad thing until fairly recently, hence the saying three wives four concubines.

Combined with the fact that it's probably not a major issue for most people, and that rich people might be the ones that support polygamy, it's not hard to see why politicians would turn a blind eye on the matter.

I'm actually a bit confused as to why polygamy would be illegal in a country like the United States to be honest. If consensual adults agree to enter such a relationship, then they should have the right. I know there are plenty of headaches that come with it with regards to taxes, morality and such, but many issues face the same types of things. I can understand less developed nations banning polygamy just so some rich man can't forcibly marry a hundred women and claim "ownership" and such, but I do believe that the concept of polygamy is not inherently wrong and it's bans are a bit more political than moral.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I'm actually a bit confused as to why polygamy would be illegal in a country like the United States to be honest.
    Puritan roots. American anxiety over sexuality dates back to the Calvinist/Puritan roots of Anglo-North American culture. It's the reason that even in the 21st Century, Americans are paradoxically prudish and licentious about sexuality in a way that amuses and bemuses modern Europeans and some Asians.

It seems like there's a trend for Americans to be liberal in their younger years and gradually turn conservative as they grow older, [not that it doesn't make sense...just blah] while Europeans seem to stay liberal into their older years.

I rather not have polygamy legal in the US. I've seen how it can lead to destroy families and affect children emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    I rather not have polygamy legal in the US. I've seen how it can lead to destroy families and affect children emotionally.
    Unfortunately that same argument can be used for anything from homosexual marriage to legal alcohol, and probably interracial marriage back in the day. Not allowing consensual adults to carry on a personal relationship in whatever way they please does not seem to be something that other people should have a say in.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Unfortunately that same argument can be used for anything from homosexual marriage to legal alcohol, and probably interracial marriage back in the day. Not allowing consensual adults to carry on a personal relationship in whatever way they please does not seem to be something that other people should have a say in.
    I understand if it's consent between adults and no one should tell them what to do or not, but what about other ethnic groups that doesn't have that choice? For example, forced, kidnapped, status, reputation, etc... They have to be in a polygamy relationship because it is a part of a culture that is practiced for many hundreds or thousands of years? No matter what, there will be emotional tension between all wives and children no matter if they do not openly express it or not.

Although in the US, polygamy is illegal, there are different groups of ethnicity that still practice polygamy in the US but isn't recognized legally. The man will marry one wife legally and the rest are culturally married (or you can say he have many girlfriends only).

One question: Anyone know an ethnic group that is polyandry?

One question: Anyone know an ethnic group that is polyandry?
    One of the "Chinese" ethnic minorities. I forget which one.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I didn't know polygamy was still legal in Hong Kong until 1971?!

I was reading about the Ting Hai effect and Greed of Man and Stanley Ho was mentioned in the sequel. I read Stanley Ho has four wives and 17 children. Wow.

My question is how did polygamy in HK lasted that long?
    My guess is that the UK had a lot of their plate since their occupation of HK with two World Wars. They spent a lot of effort to rebuild HK and its economy after the Japanese left. UK was always unhappy with polygamy due to Christian beliefs. The last thing they wanted was a massive riot by angering the Chinese majority by abolishing their ancient cultural tradition.

1970's was the turning point when UK stepped into make some political reforms in HK. By then, HK has become more modern and HK people began to distance themselves from the Mainland Chinese in a new identity to accept some changes. After abolishing Polygamy, the government then moved onto to attacking the wide-spread police corruption with the establishment of the ICAC.

And there are lots of rumours that Stanley Ho has more women that have not been acknowledged. One of the most rumoured actress with Stanley Ho back in the 70's was Deborah Lee, aka Nic Tse's mum. But the rumours have never been confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    One of the "Chinese" ethnic minorities. I forget which one.
    Wasn't it some Tibetan Tribe? Brothers shared wives as it was too hard to find wives for all of them as well as feed them.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Wasn't it some Tibetan Tribe? Brothers shared wives as it was too hard to find wives for all of them as well as feed them.
    You're right. I talked to one of my Tibetan friend and she said it is true. Wouldn't that be something eh women? Lol. Jk.
    Sim neej aws...

You're right. I talked to one of my Tibetan friend and she said it is true. Wouldn't that be something eh women? Lol. Jk.
    Wah? Clean up after a group of smelly men? Imagaine the clothes washing and the toilet cleaning. No thanks. =P

Wah? Clean up after a group of smelly men? Imagaine the clothes washing and the toilet cleaning. No thanks. =P
    I will make them clean. If they want to sleep with me, they have to earn it. If they do a bad job, no luck.

Reality, it won't be great anyway. I do not like sharing my body with different men, especially if they are brothers. Weird.
    Sim neej aws...

I will make them clean. If they want to sleep with me, they have to earn it. If they do a bad job, no luck.

Reality, it won't be great anyway. I do not like sharing my body with different men, especially if they are brothers. Weird.
    Just imagine how confused the kids will be!

Dad = Uncle. Mum = Auntie. Cousin = sibling.

Happens in wuxia all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    ... if you're Duan Yu!

I know right?! Lol. imagine what other people may think and be confused by it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    ... if you're Duan Yu!
    Duan Yu...I feel bad that this dude have so many half sisters. He was confused himself.
    Sim neej aws...

I'm curious about your experiences observing polygamy. Can you give some examples? Were you seeing it in the Middle East or Asia?

Yeah, I am against polygamy as well. It's not good to have too many children from many different women. The children growing up hating each other. It's better to have small family with 1, 2, or 3 kids and raise them properly. Society is better that way.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 01-12-15 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamoRemebered View Post
    I'm curious about your experiences observing polygamy. Can you give some examples? Were you seeing it in the Middle East or Asia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, I am against polygamy as well. It's not good to have too many children from many different women. They children growing up hating each other. It's better to have small family with 1, 2, or 3 kids and raise them properly. Society is better that way.
    There are some Asian and African countries that still practice polygamy, even in the United States (heck, across the world). When it comes down to it, it's the culture norm and tradition that the group of people grow up to know. Besides some Asian communities, I know that Somali community also practice polygamy.

Although I am not from a polygamy family, I do have and know people who are through relatives, friends, and clients that I serve. Men are valued more than women and have more authority in my community. Some males, especially elders that I've seen, would marry second, third...and so on as "culturally" and would still be married "legally" to the first wife (or else all are culturally married). I've seen some of my clients, mostly women, became victims of abuse because they wanted to stop their husband from flirting/marrying other women. I've also seen women who are second, third,...etc wives become victims of this polygamy practice. Most of these victims are from overseas, where the male would marry her to the states legally. The male would lie to the woman that he's single and court, then marries her, not knowing he already have a wife "culturally".

If lucky, some wives and children will get along and live happily as a big family, otherwise, there will be a huge war within the family. Children are affected the most. Although most cannot speak of how they feel, they are torn by the parents, especially the father's behavior, emotionally and mentally. Just like TC mentioned, many children with different mothers may grow up hating each other. For example, jealousy. The father favors one wife and her children more than the rest.

There are a lot that I see..I can go on forever, but I may bore people in here.

That is why I am against polygamy. It destroys families.
    Last edited by skoo78; 01-12-15 at 11:02 PM.
    Sim neej aws...