Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Qin 《秦时明月》 - Lu Yi, Jiang Jin Fu, Michelle Chen, Sun Yi Zhou

Anyone else is following it? I've watched all the 6 eps that have come out, and am liking it so far. CGI is decent, the fighting choreography is surprisingly pretty good esp compared to most wuxia series these days, most of the cast are likeable, pace is quite good too. Michelle and Jiang Jin Fu are at times annoying -- they need to take a lesson from Ian Wang how to exaggerate without being irritating. Lu Yi is HAWT.
    Last edited by lenje; 12-05-15 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    Anyone else is following it? I've watched all the 6 eps that have come out, and am liking it so far. CGI is decent, the fighting choreography is surprisingly pretty good esp compared to most wuxia series these days, most of the cast are likeable, pace is quite good too. Michelle and Jiang Jin Fu are at times annoying -- they need to take a lesson from Ian Wu how to exaggerate without being irritating. Lu Yi is HAWT.
    I've been watching this since it aired. I'm actually quite surprise no one is subbing it yet, so more people can watch it. It's a pretty high production. And I agree that the pacing and actions are good. Also agree that Michelle and Jiang Jin Fu should tone down a bit. They come off as silly. But other than that, so far so good. I might put it on hold until it finishes. Depends, as I have been very busy lately.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    I've been watching this since it aired. I'm actually quite surprise no one is subbing it yet, so more people can watch it. It's a pretty high production. And I agree that the pacing and actions are good. Also agree that Michelle and Jiang Jin Fu should tone down a bit. They come off as silly. But other than that, so far so good. I might put it on hold until it finishes. Depends, as I have been very busy lately.
    Yeap, agree, pretty high production. I like the lighting and the cinematography. Tangren did good with this and WuXin (which was excellent too). I actually really need the subbing LOL. So far am watching this without understanding the conversation at all

Yeap, agree, pretty high production. I like the lighting and the cinematography. Tangren did good with this and WuXin (which was excellent too). I actually really need the subbing LOL. So far am watching this without understanding the conversation at all
    Strangely, I am watching this for Lu Yi and Wang Yan Lin.

So far, I am happy with the story. There is enough history to give it a good background while adding some fantasy elements. It is quite easy to digest. I agree with wuxiarocks that they should tone on the silliness though because the serious bits are really interesting and intriguing.

I actually find Tianming and Gao Yue quite boring at this stage. But boy, will I look forward to Xiang Xiaoyu and Chelian as a couple in the upcoming episodes! And I have really taken to the character of of Duoguo Zhi.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Strangely, I am watching this for Lu Yi and Wang Yan Lin.

So far, I am happy with the story. There is enough history to give it a good background while adding some fantasy elements. It is quite easy to digest. I agree with wuxiarocks that they should tone on the silliness though because the serious bits are really interesting and intriguing.

I actually find Tianming and Gao Yue quite boring at this stage. But boy, will I look forward to Xiang Xiaoyu and Chelian as a couple in the upcoming episodes! And I have really taken to the character of of Duoguo Zhi.
    Dang, I wrote Ian Wu instead of Wang (which is the correct name) above, LOL. I was actually looking forward to seeing Sui Yong Liang here, but ended up kind of swooning over Lu Yi. Some netizens think JJF's been great playing Tianming, but I'm not that impressed so far . Ian has shown how to act silly, exaggerating at times, but in checked-doses so it doesn't annoy.

PS. I read our Andy just got some iQiyi award tonight for TJOF. Dunno what that is, but I'm thrilled nonetheless!

Dang, I wrote Ian Wu instead of Wang (which is the correct name) above, LOL. I was actually looking forward to seeing Sui Yong Liang here, but ended up kind of swooning over Lu Yi.
    Who is Sui Yong Liang? And yeah, Lu Yi is swoon-worthy! Ge Nie is quite a mysterious character, a good guy but not too goody-two-shoes that you would want to punch him.

Some netizens think JJF's been great playing Tianming, but I'm not that impressed so far . Ian has shown how to act silly, exaggerating at times, but in checked-doses so it doesn't annoy.
    I think JJF looks the right part as Tianming. He can act (not very well but he can act), but the script requires him to act over silly and cute. At this point, I think we just wait for the immaturity to pass and his character will do fine. I am not sure how old Tianming was in the animations. Maybe he was supposed to be younger. I got a biut sick of him fainting when he saw the fake ghost.

Ian is Lord Gu right? If he is, then I think his silliness is acceptable as he snaps out of it and can be cool when needed. I actually like his goofiness.

PS. I read our Andy just got some iQiyi award tonight for TJOF. Dunno what that is, but I'm thrilled nonetheless!
    Oh! I heard our Andy got Iqiyi's Best Screen Performance for Dong Fang. Someone told me he sang his song "Di Lao Tian Huang" as well. And he deserves it. Dong Fang was a great role and Andy was wonderful. I have trouble streaming it from the iqiyi site so haven't seen it yet, but from the pics, he looks starved.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

OK. I officially find Dongguo Zhi annoying after watching ep 7. Now he's clingy. I think I'll move onto to Canti Lau's character instead!
    Cyril Connolly

OK. I officially find Dongguo Zhi annoying after watching ep 7. Now he's clingy. I think I'll move onto to Canti Lau's character instead!
    Nooo... he's still adorable! The clingy moments only last a few seconds
    click to show/hide spoilers
    before he was hushed out of the mansion, LOL
    . I had to google Canti Lau's name before I realized he was Duan Zhengchun in DGSD 2013. What's his character name here?

Who is Sui Yong Liang? And yeah, Lu Yi is swoon-worthy! Ge Nie is quite a mysterious character, a good guy but not too goody-two-shoes that you would want to punch him.
    Sui Yong Liang is the actor who plays Gao Jianli. I had been impressed by him in WuXin, so I was thrilled to find he's playing a pretty important character here as well.

I'm liking this series more. It gives me the old wuxia feeling, it almost feels like the TVB wuxia series back in the 80s/90s. The music background can be better, but so far it's pretty fitting.

Oh! I heard our Andy got Iqiyi's Best Screen Performance for Dong Fang. Someone told me he sang his song "Di Lao Tian Huang" as well. And he deserves it. Dong Fang was a great role and Andy was wonderful. I have trouble streaming it from the iqiyi site so haven't seen it yet, but from the pics, he looks starved.
    You know I never like his fashion taste . Oh well, can't get all, I guess. Yeap, very deserving. Glad he received it together with Jiang Xin. Did they mention for which drama the actors got the rewards? Because I think Jiang Xin was even better in Hua Xu Yin.
    Last edited by lenje; 12-07-15 at 09:35 AM.

Hi there!

Me too, I've been watching until epi 12 without understanding the conversation . Could someone kindly explain what the story is about? HAHAHA . I noticed that the story is quite famous, but I've never read the novels nor watched the anime. Does Tianming have somekind of evil power inside? And is he poisoned too ?

Yeah, I'm also attracted to Lu Yi . Then again, seems that there would be conflict between him and Tianming later on, would it? That's kinda sad, coz I like the bromance/father-son relationship between them. And, I'm also interested in the girl who can control water, the one who occasionally helps Tianming. Dunno why, I expect her interactions with Tianming more than Tianming - Yu Er(the main girl, that's her name right?). Perhaps because her character is more mysterious, until now that is.
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 12-08-15 at 11:06 PM.

Hi Luna! This blog post will probably help you get the idea of the story http://www.avirtualvoyage.net/2015/0...nd-of-qin.html. Another post in the comment section of the same blog also gives a brief description on the characters http://www.avirtualvoyage.net/2015/1...comment-385418. (You can also read practically the recaps of ep 1 and 2 from the comments ).

Those who have watched the anime warned that the drama has deviated a lot from the anime version. I don't know about the original novel, though. I have looked for it on the internet, but haven't been able to find it. I should've probably typed the Chinese name (Qinshinming?). I reckon that the anime is extremely popular and the changes made in the drama anger a lot of its fans. Oh well, I just hope that at least the TV rating is decent enough that Hunan continues to air it. Although it's not a guarantee either. Remember what happened to DGSD 2013? And it had pretty good rating back then. I frankly don't have any hope that Viki will sub it, at least not anytime soon. Too bad, because I still think that this is one of the better produced Mainland dramas this year.

Now, back to the drama itself. I'm getting extremely annoyed by DMR (Michelle's character). She was tolerable in the earlier episodes -- she gets on my nerves now. What's with the childish thing? Even the three teenagers look way mature. I can't really see how Ge Nie (Lu Yi) is attracted to her at all. Really bad writing, and unfortunately Michelle doesn't have the acting chop to make it at least tolerable again.

Nooo... he's still adorable! The clingy moments only last a few seconds
    before he was hushed out of the mansion, LOL
    . I had to google Canti Lau's name before I realized he was Duan Zhengchun in DGSD 2013. What's his character name here?

I think I have moved onto Canti Lau's character. (BTW, didn't you see Canti back in TVB series from the 1990's?) I think he was introduced as Jin Wan Liang, but it sounds like a fake name. I an guessing that he had a secret identity, probably one of the Yan dudes who escaped. I just feel there is more to his character. You can see it in the opening and closing credits. Looking forward to it.

I am getting a bit annoyed with the recent eps since so much of the storyline has been devoted to silly characters who seem to be getting sillier with each ep. Master Ban seems like a crazy dude with all his inventions.

Sui Yong Liang is the actor who plays Gao Jianli. I had been impressed by him in WuXin, so I was thrilled to find he's playing a pretty important character here as well.

Ah! Gao Jian Li! He was mentioned in the history books as well. But I don't like his character here.

I'm liking this series more. It gives me the old wuxia feeling, it almost feels like the TVB wuxia series back in the 80s/90s. The music background can be better, but so far it's pretty fitting.

I like this series but I don't love it. I enjoy the serious parts a lot, especially with everyone's stories linking together. But the childish overacting gets on my nerves. I quite like the costumes, and most of the hairstyles. But Xue Nu really has an ugly hairstyle and she doesn't give out that wow beauty factor.

In terms of action, I quite like the choreography, everyone seems to be doing a great job looking cool and formidable. The sets do look good and classy without overdoing on the colours. I like how the wind is used.

You know I never like his fashion taste . Oh well, can't get all, I guess. Yeap, very deserving. Glad he received it together with Jiang Xin. Did they mention for which drama the actors got the rewards? Because I think Jiang Xin was even better in Hua Xu Yin.

Not sure. I am pretty sure Andy got it for DFYQ as TJOF is his only series got aired on iqiyi this year. Not sure about Jiang Xin. I am still waiting for the Iqiyi Night to be uploaded to youtube. Andy has a childish fashion taste, but his wife dresses much better. He actually looked quite good on the night in comparison to what he usually wears.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    Hi there!

Me too, I've been watching until epi 12 without understanding the conversation . Could someone kindly explain what the story is about? HAHAHA . I noticed that the story is quite famous, but I've never read the novels nor watched the anime. Does Tianming have somekind of evil power inside? And is he poisoned too ?

Yeah, I'm also attracted to Lu Yi . Then again, seems that there would be conflict between him and Tianming later on, would it? That's kinda sad, coz I like the bromance/father-son relationship between them. And, I'm also interested in the girl who can control water, the one who occasionally helps Tianming. Dunno why, I expect her interactions with Tianming more than Tianming - Yu Er(the main girl, that's her name right?). Perhaps because her character is more mysterious, until now that is.
    I am attracted to Lu yi too! And so far, Yue Er seems boring to me but I am expecting her to have a large change (see the opening video). I prefer the other girl too, and she seems more useful too. But from the title Qin Shi Ming Yue, seems like that the main couple will be Tianming and Gao Yue.

Tian Ming is not poisoned. Tian Ming was inserted with a magical power from some divination clan that wanted to destroy/takeover China for revenge as they got made the scapegoat by a Zhao emperor who was too proud to face his wrongs. I think it overtakes his body and mind and he will be used as a killing machine later on by the eunuchs. Initially, this powerful force lies dormant in him, only to be awaken when his body is severely attacked. But each time he uses it, it injures him further.

The story is about a group of people getting together to overthrow Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor who united China as a nation. Nearly all of them are joined by their past being victims of Qin's rise to power and the throne. Entwined in the plot is a deeper theme of whether violence should be used against violence, revenge vs forgiveness. I haven't read the story either so let's see what else happens.
    Cyril Connolly

Hi Luna! This blog post will probably help you get the idea of the story http://www.avirtualvoyage.net/2015/0...nd-of-qin.html. Another post in the comment section of the same blog also gives a brief description on the characters http://www.avirtualvoyage.net/2015/1...comment-385418. (You can also read practically the recaps of ep 1 and 2 from the comments ).

Those who have watched the anime warned that the drama has deviated a lot from the anime version. I don't know about the original novel, though. I have looked for it on the internet, but haven't been able to find it. I should've probably typed the Chinese name (Qinshinming?). I reckon that the anime is extremely popular and the changes made in the drama anger a lot of its fans. Oh well, I just hope that at least the TV rating is decent enough that Hunan continues to air it. Although it's not a guarantee either. Remember what happened to DGSD 2013? And it had pretty good rating back then. I frankly don't have any hope that Viki will sub it, at least not anytime soon. Too bad, because I still think that this is one of the better produced Mainland dramas this year.

Now, back to the drama itself. I'm getting extremely annoyed by DMR (Michelle's character). She was tolerable in the earlier episodes -- she gets on my nerves now. What's with the childish thing? Even the three teenagers look way mature. I can't really see how Ge Nie (Lu Yi) is attracted to her at all. Really bad writing, and unfortunately Michelle doesn't have the acting chop to make it at least tolerable again.
    Hi Lenje! Thanks for the links, I'll go to read it

You know what, I read the episodes summary of the anime and watched some parts of it, and I thought that it had a lot of differences than the live action. Now you also mention it, so they do have a lot of differences. For me, asides from the language, it seems like an interesting series. It doesn't have too many CGI and the costumes are not that fairy-tale like, and the story looked interesting (well, although I only understand a little ..but at least I know that the story is more than just I-love-you-and-I-would-die-for-you-although-I-don't-know-that-you-don't-love-me-back kinda thing ). Hopefully it gets english subs. And no, I hope it won't suffer the same fate as DGSD 2013 . I'm still wondering why it gets so low ratings .

Regarding Michelle, well I don't pay too much attention on her still my eyes are on Lu Yi . I'm just wondering, how old are they (Ge Nie and DMR) in this series ? Since DMR doesn't look so much older than the teenagers. Isn't she supposed to be as old as Ge Nie, while Ge Nie is Tianming's father's friend ?

I'm not annoyed by her character. She seems pretty smart at times and gets the group out of many troubles with her courage and quick thinking. She is got a goody-two-shoes and she is not supposed to be super beautiful which I first refreshing for a female lead. I don't even mind her violence.

But I have been annoyed by her childish behaviour in the last two episodes. I don't get how old is she supposed to be? Sometimes I just wish she and Ge Nie will get married since they like each other so much in such a short time, so the story can get back to the scheming plots and the war. I actually think Michelle is doing better as DMR than as Xiao Long Nu. It seems that DMr was attracted to Ge Nie pretty early on when she met him, probably because he is so attractive. But why does he like her? Maybe he has been very lonely holding that secret within him all those years and she is the first female that has reached out to him an actively cared for him.
    Cyril Connolly

I am attracted to Lu yi too! And so far, Yue Er seems boring to me but I am expecting her to have a large change (see the opening video). I prefer the other girl too, and she seems more useful too. But from the title Qin Shi Ming Yue, seems like that the main couple will be Tianming and Gao Yue.

Tian Ming is not poisoned. Tian Ming was inserted with a magical power from some divination clan that wanted to destroy/takeover China for revenge as they got made the scapegoat by a Zhao emperor who was too proud to face his wrongs. I think it overtakes his body and mind and he will be used as a killing machine later on by the eunuchs. Initially, this powerful force lies dormant in him, only to be awaken when his body is severely attacked. But each time he uses it, it injures him further.

The story is about a group of people getting together to overthrow Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor who united China as a nation. Nearly all of them are joined by their past being victims of Qin's rise to power and the throne. Entwined in the plot is a deeper theme of whether violence should be used against violence, revenge vs forgiveness. I haven't read the story either so let's see what else happens.
    Hi charbydis!

Thank you for explaining ! Regarding Tian Ming, was that(he was inserted by magical power) happened in the beginning episodes ? I literally skipped some parts, and I tried to go back, but couldn't find those scenes. And now I understand why Tianming seems to be getting weaker and weaker. It's because of this -> "But each time he uses it, it injures him further".

Regarding the other girl, I watched some trailers/MV and there are several romantic scenes between Tianming and her. I have the impression that she's the one who will become his lover, instead of Yu er. Dunno, we'll see

I'm not annoyed by her character. She seems pretty smart at times and gets the group out of many troubles with her courage and quick thinking. She is got a goody-two-shoes and she is not supposed to be super beautiful which I first refreshing for a female lead. I don't even mind her violence.

But I have been annoyed by her childish behaviour in the last two episodes. I don't get how old is she supposed to be? Sometimes I just wish she and Ge Nie will get married since they like each other so much in such a short time, so the story can get back to the scheming plots and the war. I actually think Michelle is doing better as DMR than as Xiao Long Nu. It seems that DMr was attracted to Ge Nie pretty early on when she met him, probably because he is so attractive. But why does he like her? Maybe he has been very lonely holding that secret within him all those years and she is the first female that has reached out to him an actively cared for him.
    I agree that a not-goody-two shoe and strikingly beautiful female lead is quite refreshing, although I won't deny that I do have my shallowness part. But my gripe with the presentation of DMR, particularly in the last 2 or 3 episodes, is her childish acts. I get it, this is probably the first time in her entire life that she's actually attracted to a man, let alone being in a relationship. She's also far from being feminine or ladylike. But seriously, squealing and running off??? I'm tired of seeing this - and she does them all the time! I know she's supposedly trying to hide her feelings, but it is written so badly.

It's very possible that Ge Nie's attraction to her is because she's cared for him. I think DMR is supposed to be this tomboyish, no-nonsense, and warm character. Despite the way she sometimes treats the boys, she genuinely cares about them and has become a parent figure for them. And that's exactly why the childish thing feels so out of character of her.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    For me, asides from the language, it seems like an interesting series. It doesn't have too many CGI and the costumes are not that fairy-tale like, and the story looked interesting (well, although I only understand a little ..but at least I know that the story is more than just I-love-you-and-I-would-die-for-you-although-I-don't-know-that-you-don't-love-me-back kinda thing ). Hopefully it gets english subs. And no, I hope it won't suffer the same fate as DGSD 2013 . I'm still wondering why it gets so low ratings.
    I just love it that they have decent amount of CGI and not-overbearing clothes. I'm thankful that Tangren decided to change the costumes, hairstyle and other accessories so that they won't be too cosplay-like. And of course, one of the biggest point of this adaptation for me is the fighting scenes.
    I love the sword fight between Ge Nie and Wei Zheng in ep 12! I hope we will see plenty of them in the forthcoming episodes.

Excuse me while I'm back drooling over Lu Yi . By the way, I'm liking the Xue Nu character. I think Gong Beibi is quite elegant

不知为何看了trailer有一种我错了的感觉(不
    ~~~

But my gripe with the presentation of DMR, particularly in the last 2 or 3 episodes, is her childish acts.
    I agree. Beside the characterization, Michelle seems limited in her range to serious. She does serious quite well. The cutesy is a bit over the top for my tastes. However, I quite enjoyed the scene when she orders GN to step closer, gets flustered, and then goes on an irrational rampage. Ha. Funny.

The expression on GN's face when DMR is hammering away at his acupoints is priceless.

After being spoilt with attention to detail in Nirvana In Fire, I'm sort of a bit shocked at how sloppily DMR practices her craft. I would've appreciated her to be as crude and crazy as she liked, but really demonstrating why she is hailed as a 'Sage of Medicine' at such a young age, rather than repeating to others how good she is. Show rather than tell, my dear.

It's very possible that Ge Nie's attraction to her is because she's cared for him. I think DMR is supposed to be this tomboyish, no-nonsense, and warm character. Despite the way she sometimes treats the boys, she genuinely cares about them and has become a parent figure for them. And that's exactly why the childish thing feels so out of character of her.
    I imagine the mix of extraordinary skill to heal and genuine care, despite the gruff exterior, is a temptation for Wuxia lost boy souls. If I remember correctly, GN was almost at death's door before DMR brought him back to life. When all hope is lost, and the first face you see is a very young maiden as your saviour, some strong emotions are at play. I guess this affects GN deeply because he is always seen as the hero to bear the burden of saving someone else. Having someone save him for once is just plain nice. I don't get why DMR likes GN though. So far, she first mistook him for her sworn brother's killer and now, he is eye-candy. I hope they write a bit more substance as to why she would like him.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the fight scenes too (really the only reason why I'm watching this series). That spin that GN did while he was locked swords with WZ was a pretty cool move.

C'mon. I was expecting DMR to use her silver needles more. Give us some flying dagger action. Doctors are usually quite efficient fighters. Knowing about how the human body works is quite an advantage. But then there is that moral dilemma of using your healing skills for violence. Doesn't seem to stop DMR though.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    After being spoilt with attention to detail in Nirvana In Fire, I'm sort of a bit shocked at how sloppily DMR practices her craft. I would've appreciated her to be as crude and crazy as she liked, but really demonstrating why she is hailed as a 'Sage of Medicine' at such a young age, rather than repeating to others how good she is. Show rather than tell, my dear.
    It will be difficult to top NiF anyway. It's gotta be the best drama this year, but I haven't started watching the Legend of Mi Yue, so I can't really tell. In addition, Legend of Qin and NiF belong to different genres. In LoQ's genre, details are often times overlooked. But I agree, DMR's skill should be SHOWN rather then talked. Again, writing problem.

As for her sloppiness, though, it's probably intentional. When she was treating Ge Nie (for the second time?), maybe she still thought Ge Nie was responsible for Jing Ke's death. So she only halfheartedly treated him. She probably didn't want at all, but her moral/ethic told her otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    I don't get why DMR likes GN though. So far, she first mistook him for her sworn brother's killer and now, he is eye-candy. I hope they write a bit more substance as to why she would like him.
    Interesting. Never thought it that way. I've always taken it as she's been attracted to him but hiding/pressing/denying it.

BUT! I hope there won't be too much focus on romance in the forthcoming episodes. So far the balance is right, please keep it that way. The fighting scenes is one of the drama's strength -- I want to see them more.
    Last edited by lenje; 12-11-15 at 01:55 AM.

It will be difficult to top NiF anyway. It's gotta be the best drama this year, but I haven't started watching the Legend of Mi Yue, so I can't really tell. In addition, Legend of Qin and NiF belong to different genres. In LoQ's genre, details are often times overlooked. But I agree, DMR's skill should be SHOWN rather then talked. Again, writing problem.

As for her sloppiness, though, it's probably intentional. When she was treating Ge Nie (for the second time?), maybe she still thought Ge Nie was responsible for Jing Ke's death. So she only halfheartedly treated him. She probably didn't want at all, but her moral/ethic told her otherwise.

Interesting. Never thought it that way. I've always taken it as she's been attracted to him but hiding/pressing/denying it.

BUT! I hope there won't be too much focus on romance in the forthcoming episodes. So far the balance is right, please keep it that way. The fighting scenes is one of the drama's strength -- I want to see them more.
    I wonder if DMR actually knows GN from before? She seems to walk up to him straight away and started yelling at him when they first meet but he seems not to know her. So maybe she met him as a child or a teenager and had a crush on him then?

I think she hated GN at the beginning but she couldn't help being attracted to GN as they spent more time with each other. But there is a merciful heart inside her that she was willing to save GN again and again despite believing that he killed Jing Ke. Despite her saying that she wants him dead all the time, I don't think she can actually kill him. She has attitude but she also has a soft heart. She purposely caused him a lot of pain during treatment as she knows she cannot kill him, yet the treatment she gave him actually helped his circulation and recovery.

I'm watching MYZ as well but I definitely prefer NIF.
    Cyril Connolly