Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lost Tomb 《盗墓笔记》 - Li Yi Feng, Tang Yan, Ken Chang, Yang Yang

More please!!! I love tang yan!!! She so butiful <3

The drama has released two episodes, and so far I'm liking it! Good pace, no unnecessary romance -- i hope they will keep it that way.

I was wondering how many seasons of this series is out by now. I just started watching (still on episode 3) and I'm hooked. What's the relationship between The Lost Tomb characters and The Mystic Nine characters?

I'm 8 episodes into the series now and am very disappointed. Wasn't this series based off an extremely popular novel series? I heard really positive things about both the novel and the author and how the story is full of historical/cultural references. Unfortunately, this tv series is a mess. Nothing gets explained and the characters do the most ridiculous things to advance the story. It's as if they expected people to have read the novel and be able to fill in the blanks themselves. Either that or the series got overly edited. Two of the characters were completely useless and literally did nothing but sit around outside the tomb with headsets on providing the occasional horrified commentary to those inside.

For example, an explanation explaining the feud between the northern and southern clans of tomb robbers would be nice. They never bothered to explain the differences between them. I ended up reading elsewhere that apparently:

1) The northern clans follow stricter rules regarding tomb robbing. For example, they only rob in times of desperation and need. They follow protocols such as lighting a candle when they enter a tomb. If the candle blows out, they'll assume that the spirits of the tomb do not want them inside. If the candle doesn't blow out, they'll enter the tomb and only retrieve 3-5 items of interest and leave so that those who happen across the tomb in the future may also find things that they need.

2) The southern clans do not follow any rules and consider the northern clans hypocrites. Tomb robbing is tomb robbing. There shouldn't be any moral strings attached when all they want to do is to loot the place. The northern clans consider the southern clans crude and uncivilized.

Details like those would have added to the story.

Two more episodes to finish the series and am debating if I should move on to The Mystic Nine with William Chan or Candle in the Tomb with Jin Dong. I wonder why they chose to make The Lost Tomb into multiple seasons with 10 episodes each instead of into 1 complete series with 40-48 episodes.

And looking at the cast list for The Mystic Nine, should I assume that Li Yifeng's character Wu Xie is a descendant of Wu Laogo, the fifth master of the mystic nine clan? And Yang Yang's character Zhang Kylin is a descendant of Zhang Qishan, leader of the mystic nine clan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    I'm 8 episodes into the series now and am very disappointed. Wasn't this series based off an extremely popular novel series? I heard really positive things about both the novel and the author and how the story is full of historical/cultural references. Unfortunately, this tv series is a mess. Nothing gets explained and the characters do the most ridiculous things to advance the story. It's as if they expected people to have read the novel and be able to fill in the blanks themselves. Either that or the series got overly edited. Two of the characters were completely useless and literally did nothing but sit around outside the tomb with headsets on providing the occasional horrified commentary to those inside.

For example, an explanation explaining the feud between the northern and southern clans of tomb robbers would be nice. They never bothered to explain the differences between them. I ended up reading elsewhere that apparently:

1) The northern clans follow stricter rules regarding tomb robbing. For example, they only rob in times of desperation and need. They follow protocols such as lighting a candle when they enter a tomb. If the candle blows out, they'll assume that the spirits of the tomb do not want them inside. If the candle doesn't blow out, they'll enter the tomb and only retrieve 3-5 items of interest and leave so that those who happen across the tomb in the future may also find things that they need.

2) The southern clans do not follow any rules and consider the northern clans hypocrites. Tomb robbing is tomb robbing. There shouldn't be any moral strings attached when all they want to do is to loot the place. The northern clans consider the southern clans crude and uncivilized.

Details like those would have added to the story.

Two more episodes to finish the series and am debating if I should move on to The Mystic Nine with William Chan or Candle in the Tomb with Jin Dong. I wonder why they chose to make The Lost Tomb into multiple seasons with 10 episodes each instead of into 1 complete series with 40-48 episodes.

And looking at the cast list for The Mystic Nine, should I assume that Li Yifeng's character Wu Xie is a descendant of Wu Laogo, the fifth master of the mystic nine clan? And Yang Yang's character Zhang Kylin is a descendant of Zhang Qishan, leader of the mystic nine clan?
    IIRC, the mystic nine was set before the lost tomb (and I believe they are the ancestors to TLT people)

The books is actually a lot better, the series went through a major change because YY left HR and it was super messy and what not so they cut out a lot of his scenes and he'll just randomly pop up again (like the scene he came back shirtless and with the dragon tattoo) I believe they were supposed to have 12-14 eps but cut it down to 10.

Also the two character sitting outside the tombs where completely made up characters and had nothing to do with the story so idky they added it in. I'm on mobile right now so I can't really answer.

AFAIK, there's only 1 season even though there was supposed to be one released every year because after YY left they kind of had to like find a replacement but rumours has it that they've started casting again and I think I saw a trailer a couple of hours ago for the second season

On mobile so I'm going to double post as well as they edited out a lot of YY's character origin story there was original scenes filmed in Tibet (or was it Mongolia) and pictures floating around of him in monk clothing but yeah a lot of scenes ended up on the editing floor