Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Princess of LanLing King 《兰陵王妃》 - Andy Chen Yi, Zhang Hanyun, Peng Guanying

Just checking in to all the comments on the bed scene in episode 40... you guys are all so funny...seems like I am a bad influence!

Quick thoughts (with some maths thrown in) on the title 兰陵王妃 (in relation to the drama)

Everyone's been reading the title 兰陵王妃 as 兰陵王妃.
    so its assumed that the show will be about a person who goes by or holds the title '兰陵王妃'.

What happens if we break the title 兰陵王妃 into 兰陵 + 王妃?

王妃 Wang Fei
    before YWY became King, wasnt he a Prince? So since QS married YWY as cesi 侧室 (concubine), she can be known as a wang fei 王妃 right? episode 39 (iirc) makes reference to titles, QS told Zhu housekeeper that 皇上 (YWY) was going to give her the title ' 皇妃 '... doesnt this at least meant that she has the 王妃 title? notice that QS is addresses as 娘娘 in the palace. That would mean she at least has a title and if the title isnt ' 皇妃 ' that would mean she's gotten the 王妃 title right?

兰陵 Lanling
    Gao Chang Gong's title is Lanling Wang. Perhaps someone can enlighten how he came about with this title? I cant find anything on a Lanling Wang in wikipedia.

I assume that usually one is given their title based on the area that one is suppose to govern. Thus it could be a reference or abbreviation to a place like 兰州?

That explanation comes about by further breaking up 兰 陵 into 兰 + 陵 .

Now comes my crazy theory...

兰 in 兰 陵
    If you translate 兰 that word also appears in '兰花' which means Orchids. What does Orchids have anything to do with this show you ask?

Go back to that episode where QS's joined LLW in Qi country (that time where she's in that pink gown of hers and that boat scene where LLW didnt want to kiss her).

We see QS staring at that drawing of Duan Mu Ling, wasnt she holding an orchid? IIRC, that room had pots of orchids.

There's also a scene where LLW tends to a hill (sorry but it looks just like a patch not hill) of orchids and we are told by a maid that DML has given instructions on how to tend to orchids.

And we are inform by LLW's mother that orchids are DML's favourite flowers.

The symbolism doesnt end there...if you look really closely at the bed scenes with YWY (hehe...dont laugh...its for research purposes in discussions like this ) are those orchids embroidered on the bed curtains? And are those flowers embroidered on QS's clothes orchids?

陵 in 兰 陵
    so that leaves us with the last word... 陵 ...

Google translate that word and you get Mountain or Hills. Hence my first encounter with this show often had the english translations 兰陵王妃 as Princess of Orchid Hills...when I first saw that translation Princess of Orchid Hills I was really confused cos why would there be orchids? That was until the show started talking about Orchids...

Now if 陵 just means mountain or hills, I am fine...but the other translation for 陵 is Tomb!

So if we add back 兰 + 陵 + 王妃 does this give us an indication that
    click to show/hide spoilers
    王妃 's final resting place is covered / filled with Orchids???

especially since Zhang Han Yun has explained that the title 兰陵王妃 doesnt mean QS becomes 兰陵's 王妃 but it points to a place...

Disclaimer: Ramblings typed in the midst of lack of sleep and a migraine attack... so take this with a pinch of salt.

P.S: Unless my eyes are deceiving me (and my eyesight's pretty darn bad), if you look closely at some of the human carried sedans that QS sits on, the flowers embroidered on the curtains look to be 彼岸花
    Last edited by yannlc; 12-12-16 at 10:47 PM.

yannic, this link is for your reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Changgong

Personally, I think the author of the novel just wanna "borrow" the name of Lan Ling Wang so as her work can be noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Charbydis has strayed from Gilbert!
    Charby still loves Gilbert! But his character has moved on. Look forward to seeing Gilbert back at TVB soon!

However, even before this series came out, I had always been interested in Yuwen Hu as a person. I am so happy that there will be another ancient series coming out in 2017 that features Yuwen Hu has a side character, but does not focus on Lan Ling Wang vs Yuwen Yong which is refreshing. Can't wait for the trailer.
    Last edited by charbydis; 12-08-16 at 11:29 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Eveline Huynh View Post
    yannic, this link is for your reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Changgong

Personally, I think the author of the novel just wanna "borrow" the name of Lan Ling Wang so as her work can be noticed.
    I think I read somewhere that the author initially planned to write a story about Lan Ling Wang and his wife, but then as she started writing her story, she started to feel more for Yuwen Yong. So the confusing title could have been set as the internet novel's title before the author's change of mind.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

So I just finished episode 6 with english subs and want to know who really is the main dude? Based on comments here is it Yuwen Yong?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolPerson100 View Post
    So I just finished episode 6 with english subs and want to know who really is the main dude? Based on comments here is it Yuwen Yong?
    You can continue watching and decide for yourself who the main character is. There has been some fan war over whom the main girl should be with.

Quote Originally Posted by hkstars View Post
    You can continue watching and decide for yourself who the main character is. There has been some fan war over whom the main girl should be with.
    Oh okay I'll watch it and I guess decide who she should be with. But I kinda wanted to know like who is the main guy or in other words the one she end up with at the end. Is this drama already finished airing?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolPerson100 View Post
    Oh okay I'll watch it and I guess decide who she should be with. But I kinda wanted to know like who is the main guy or in other words the one she end up with at the end. Is this drama already finished airing?
    There are 5 episodes left (total of 47), and the last episodes won't be shown until 12/20. Everyone following this series is dying to know who Qing Shuo ends up with. Therefore, I can't answer you until then. You'll probably be caught up by then if you continue watching (depending on which guy you root for since some people have been known to drop the series or skip over certain parts).

Quote Originally Posted by huaqiangu View Post
    I just absolutely love the ending song! What do you all think is the reason why the ending song only have scenes of LLW and QS in it? I love the scenes and all but I don't understand the production's logic for it. Maybe it's to mislead us into thinking she'll end up with LLW when in reality she'll choose YWY instead? Or is it foreshadowing that she WILL end up with LLW? Please share your opinions!
    I'm wondering the same thing. I feel so deceived into thinking that LLW & QS/XL would be endgame or the main focus of the drama. LLW doesn't seem to get enough screen time with QS/XL.

Does anyone know the schedule for the rest of the show?

Trailer 45 seems to indicate last episode on 27/12 (see top left corner. It's very blurry so I am not too sure.)? THought there were only 47 episodes & if we are down to 3 per week, next Thursday should be last episode...

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/YosA6ifldfc [\VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    Does anyone know the schedule for the rest of the show?

Trailer 45 seems to indicate last episode on 27/12 (see top left corner. It's very blurry so I am not too sure.)? THought there were only 47 episodes & if we are down to 3 per week, next Thursday should be last episode...

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/YosA6ifldfc [\VIDEO]
    Hey! I think it says two ending. Gong-shuo ending on 21/12. Yong-shuo ending on 27/12.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/33c667afa40f4bfb790cd15d0a4f78f0f636181b.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/1828b713632762d04c1aeab6a9ec08fa503dc6dc.jpg')
    Cyril Connolly

Hm... Two endings. I don't know about that. Alternate endings always make me a little unsatisfied because that means she technically didn't choose one man and the production's making us happy by giving us the endings we want. I'm still waiting for episode 44 today but it's still not out yet. Honestly, at this point I think QS should just choose YWY considering the things that's already happened. Oh well... Maybe I'll get my scene I've been waiting this entire time with her and LLW.

Hey guys! I looked in it again! I think there is only one ending which will air on 21/12. Maybe they have included two special cuts for each ship since it mentions the word "Fan Wai" which usually refers to an epilogue or something. I hope they have interviews or BTS or NG clips.
    Cyril Connolly

Sigh...why are they making me wait 2 weeks for Yong-shuo's edition???

Questions on ep 43/44

Who is Zhuge Wu Xue supposed to be? So confusing! Seems like he's actually one of Qi's Prince??? He was sent to Xiao Chun Chen to masquerade as Zhuge Wu Xue?

So when he says "he" & Duan Mu Ling were betrothed...was the he "Zhuge Wu Xue" or "Prince of Qi"?

If Duan Mu Ling can be betrothed to either of those people, she must have quite a high position in society right?

How is YWY able to see the markings QS left behind at night? Can anyone figure out what the marking says?

I read comments on weibo that YWY
    knew YQS's real identity as DML quite early in the show. Any comments?

Questions on ep 43/44

Who is Zhuge Wu Xue supposed to be? So confusing! Seems like he's actually one of Qi's Prince??? He was sent to Xiao Chun Chen to masquerade as Zhuge Wu Xue?

So when he says "he" & Duan Mu Ling were betrothed...was the he "Zhuge Wu Xue" or "Prince of Qi"?

If Duan Mu Ling can be betrothed to either of those people, she must have quite a high position in society right?

How is YWY able to see the markings QS left behind at night? Can anyone figure out what the marking says?

Where did you watch ep 44?

Quote Originally Posted by huaqiangu View Post
    Where did you watch ep 44?
    I PM you...or at least I hope I did. This forum doesnt respond well on a mobile platform

[SPOILER]

yannlc, can you expand on this comment. I'm interested in hearing more on this.

I PM you...or at least I hope I did. This forum doesnt respond well on a mobile platform
    PM me too!

I need to rewatch over the weekend to confirm Zhuge Wuxue's identity, but it could be that
    he was betrothed to Duanmu Lian because he could use her blood to open the secret of conquering the world. He was probably a minor prince that was not in line to the throne that his father was willing to sacrifice for this secret. I think I heard that he was sent to replace the descendant of the Green Dragon Guard, who probably did not want his own bloodline trapped in the vow to Qin Shihuang. Sort of like how Lan Ling Wang was supposed to be the heir and guard of his mother's faction, but she got Taohua to replace him. But I can't be sure since it was late at night when I watch. Keeping up with the Chinese live broadcast is hard as there is a time difference to where I live.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    PM me too!
    I would see the episode uploaded to Youtube briefly after it gets broadcasted live, then the Youtube video gets deleted within a few hours; the TV station is probably getting stricter with copyright claims and monitor the Youtube videos.
    I thought the last 2 episodes are being shown on 12/20, so what is being shown on 12/27?

Can someone confirm whether Trailer 45 is saying that there are 2 endings, Gong Shuo ending on 12/21 and Yong Shuo ending on 12/27. I don't want 2 endings; I would rather have 1 ending and accept whatever it is, happy or sad.
    Last edited by hkstars; 12-14-16 at 10:46 PM.